2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the super fast response guys! Good luck; I really think that interviewing so early bodes well for you and a WL status later in the cycle.

I sure hope so. I was alternate listed here last year too and as you can see, I never made it off. Dean Peterson is awesomely honest and helpful towards the end of the cycle when it comes time for looking at the waitlist though. I'm hoping that after 2 waitlists they realize how much I love UCI

Members don't see this ad.

I sure hope so. I was alternate listed here last year too and as you can see, I never made it off. Dean Peterson is awesomely honest and helpful towards the end of the cycle when it comes time for looking at the waitlist though. I'm hoping that after 2 waitlists they realize how much I love UCI

dang og i see you have a bunch of interviews and ur a reapp? what happened last year?

dang og i see you have a bunch of interviews and ur a reapp? what happened last year?

Let's just say last year was a very humbling experience, haha. I basically came in way overconfident (like most uninformed applicants), applied to too many top schools and wasn't complete until late august/early september, and didn't give my 100% into the essays/PS/etc. Ended up on waitlists at some pretty highly ranked schools but never made it off. Sad story. Now I've had 3 interviews this cycle and already 2 waitlists.

Still searching for that acceptance. It's like the pot of gold at the bottom of the rainbow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know UCI's policy on update letters? I tried searching through this thread and on their website.

Thanks

Anybody know UCI's policy on update letters? I tried searching through this thread and on their website.

Thanks

IIRC, at the interview I think we were told that unless we won a Nobel
Prize, not to bother. However if you look at I believe "alwaysaangel"'s profile I think letters worked for her as a Hail Mary.

Hopefully I am thinking of the right person and school:)

I'm sorry to hear this is your 2nd time waitlisted. Hopefully it works out! Will they send us an email about our waitlist status? Or do we not hear back from them until we either get accepted/rejected?

Thanks

I sent an update letter during my application cycle and got a polite message back stating that it had been added to my file.

Based what I remember from previous years' threads, there seemed to be a consensus that UCI was generally very receptive to update & interest letters, especially in terms of getting off the wait list. I know a few people who sent meaningful letters and are in the MS1 class.

Don't hold back as long as it's meaningful!

Last edited:
How long after submitting your secondary did it take for Irvine to recognize your letter of recs? I typed in the names of the 5 writers from my AMCAS application, but Irvine still hasn't check them off yet... I was wondering about how long this would take. Thanks!

I sent an update letter during my application cycle and got polite message back stating that it had been added to my file.

Based what I remember from previous years' threads, there seemed to be a consensus that UCI was generally very receptive to update & interest letters, especially in terms of getting off the wait list. I know a few people who sent meaningful letters and are in the MS1 class.

Don't hold back as long as it's meaningful!

Thank you for the info! Did you send your update letter pre- or post-interview?

Is UCI accepting pre-interview updates? It looks like from a few previous posts that they aren't for update letters pre-interview...?

I sent one pre-interview

Thank you for the info! Did you send your update letter pre- or post-interview?

Is UCI accepting pre-interview updates? It looks like from a few previous posts that they aren't for update letters pre-interview...?

This was pre-interview. I just went back through my email files & I sent it on 10/27. The Admissions Office responded on 11/6.

How long after submitting your secondary did it take for Irvine to recognize your letter of recs? I typed in the names of the 5 writers from my AMCAS application, but Irvine still hasn't check them off yet... I was wondering about how long this would take. Thanks!

This can be a bit variable. It wasn't fast...on the order of a few weeks. A lot of schools only download them once or twice a month-- and that can be a bit annoying from the applicant's perspective. But from the AdCom perspective...they download letters & update statuses as they grind through apps.

If they're not up after 3-4 weeks, give the Office a call. G'luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS!! me too!!

Can you schedule the interview? my tab is not working...

GOOD luck to everyone waiting for any type of news from UCI
Don't stop belieivng!! sorry kind of cheesy but true!

Secondary submitted in September.

complete early august and no news so far. anyone else in the same boat??

yes haha 8/05 completion date and no rejection or interview

hmm.. any idea why? i'm thinking i have a low priority rating, but my stats are above average for this school.. it seems like these interview dates are beign taken quickly -.-

I was also complete early august and no word. Maybe they're saving the best for last? ;)

I called the office and the lady (who was very nice) said she would check up on it and see what the hold up is. I'm supposed to call her tomorrow. I'll let you guys know whats up as soon as I find out.

thegreatgatsby: Yeah I scheduled for Dec 13. It was the only available day.

I called the office and the lady (who was very nice) said she would check up on it and see what the hold up is. I'm supposed to call her tomorrow. I'll let you guys know whats up as soon as I find out.

Cool, thanks! Maybe our pile fell behind a filing cabinet?

Hey moogle, any luck with the phone call?? Do you remember which lady you spoke to? I just called in too and was simply told to be patient. I totally understand that...I just want to know why people who were complete in later months are getting reviewed before people who were complete earlier...

Cool, thanks! Maybe our pile fell behind a filing cabinet?

Seriously! I've been complete since late July! I don't understand haha...and my status is "blank" as opposed to "pending review" ....what a crazy world! :xf:

maybe they'll interview you guys later or just passed you guys. the stuff happening now is similar to what most other schools do...

maybe they'll interview you guys later or just passed you guys. the stuff happening now is similar to what most other schools do...

How would they know to review us later if they haven't even looked at our file? usually other schools review the application and then put people on hold if they want to take another look later.

Last edited:
Hey moogle, any luck with the phone call?? Do you remember which lady you spoke to? I just called in too and was simply told to be patient. I totally understand that...I just want to know why people who were complete in later months are getting reviewed before people who were complete earlier...

I feel you on that one. I called today but just got the answering machine. I'll try calling next week to see if I have any luck.

Btw did you actually ask why people complete way after us have already been reviewed?

I'm not sure I assume they already have?

Thats what I thought too. I assumed it was just a hold but when I called last week the lady said that they have everything to make the file complete but I hasn't been reviewed yet.

Its not really big deal. I'm sure they'll review it in time. I waited 3 months to be marked complete at Penn state. waiting a few more weeks shouldn't be that bad :D

Thats what I thought too. I assumed it was just a hold but when I called last week the lady said that they have everything to make the file complete but I hasn't been reviewed yet.

Its not really big deal. I'm sure they'll review it in time. I waited 3 months to be marked complete at Penn state. waiting a few more weeks shouldn't be that bad :D

hmm that's reallllllly weird. penn state I guess I can understand, but UCI? hmm. I guess we'll see what's up.

when i called a week or so ago (ive been blank for a while, complete since 8/05) to make sure there wasnt a problem I was told that "im in queue to be reviewed" so im starting to think they seriously havent reviewed us.. no idea why though

when i called a week or so ago (ive been blank for a while, complete since 8/05) to make sure there wasnt a problem I was told that "im in queue to be reviewed" so im starting to think they seriously havent reviewed us.. no idea why though

I was complete at the beginning of August as well. Maybe we've been preliminarily reviewed and placed in a "maybe" pile. It might be that they want to revisit some files and do a more thorough review. Then make a final decision to invite to an interview/ reject. Who knows?

Any of you guys who hadn't received a secondary last week, have any luck this week? I have been unable to get in touch with anyone who would shed light on this matter. I hope things turn out for the best for all of us. Here's to staying positive! :xf:

I was complete at the beginning of August as well. Maybe we've been preliminarily reviewed and placed in a "maybe" pile. It might be that they want to revisit some files and do a more thorough review. Then make a final decision to invite to an interview/ reject. Who knows?

that also sounds reasonable. However, since they have been rejecting people and we dont have a rejection so far it cant be bad right? :)

I feel you on that one. I called today but just got the answering machine. I'll try calling next week to see if I have any luck.

Btw did you actually ask why people complete way after us have already been reviewed?

Yes, I mentioned this to the lady a number of times actually, and got this: "the process is very complicated and this year has been slower than we anticipated." Makes sense, but I'm inclined to agree with barcoderider's file cabinet theory ;)

Yes, I mentioned this to the lady a number of times actually, and got this: "the process is very complicated and this year has been slower than we anticipated." Makes sense, but I'm inclined to agree with barcoderider's file cabinet theory ;)

A bunch of the theories above make sense. I hope we find out soon.

I'm guessing they've already looked at applicant's file who submitted early. I don't think the UCs are random like buffalo or penn state. not trying to be a debbie downer but that just sounds like the most logical thing.

I know of people in last year's cycle who were "pending review" for several months--submitted in September and didn't hear back til February for a March interview date.

waitlists went out like 2 weeks ago...

Could I ask when you were complete? I feel as though I've been Pending Review forever now :(

complete around 9/10, not sure if they review them in order. A colleague of mine who was complete after me received an interview invite a couple of weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

complete around 9/10, not sure if they review them in order. A colleague of mine who was complete after me received an interview invite a couple of weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

nice, did you get a december interview? or were they unavailable?

Status
Not open for further replies.