2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so i finally called admissions and they finally answered...

they didnt answer my email though.. so hMMph!

My app has been complete since 8/12. Now it's complete on 10/7. They said there was something wrong with AMCAS and they were unable to load my letters of recommendation. :( Fail of the century. I'm not back in the bottom of the bottomless pile of secondary applications. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who interviewed in September remember when Dr. Peterson said we'd hear back about decisions? I can't recall if she said Oct 15th or around Nov. 1st and I'm trying to plan my later interviews so that I can cancel them if I get in to UCI.

Thanks!

so i finally called admissions and they finally answered...

they didnt answer my email though.. so hMMph!

My app has been complete since 8/12. Now it's complete on 10/7. They said there was something wrong with AMCAS and they were unable to load my letters of recommendation. :( Fail of the century. I'm not back in the bottom of the bottomless pile of secondary applications. :(

Sorry to hear that! Something like that happened to me last cycle and it's just so frustrating!

My "Interview Status" changed from pending review to decision pending... Anybody know if that is like a hold status for people who didn't get ii? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! Something like that happened to me last cycle and it's just so frustrating!

My "Interview Status" changed from pending review to decision pending... Anybody know if that is like a hold status for people who didn't get ii? :scared:

I've had the decision pending status for a while now...I asked a couple of times if anyone had any insight about this status but I never got a straight answer. Anyone know what it means???

I've had the decision pending status for a while now...I asked a couple of times if anyone had any insight about this status but I never got a straight answer. Anyone know what it means???

I'm guesing it means ur in the next review pile and just pending a decision from the committee.

Just got DENIED for an interview. First rejection from any school. Not fun.

Complete first few days of Sept.

sorry to hear that. was this by email or by checking the status page? when were you complete.

yeah sorry to hear that but thanks for posting. you've got solid stats so i'm sure things will work out for you. quick question though: do you know if your status ever changed from "pending review" to "decision pending" before it became denied?

sorry to hear that. was this by email or by checking the status page? when were you complete.

Just checked the status page on a whim. Don't think they send emails. I was complete during the first wk of Sept

yeah sorry to hear that but thanks for posting. you've got solid stats so i'm sure things will work out for you. quick question though: do you know if your status ever changed from "pending review" to "decision pending" before it became denied?

Yeah thanks, hoping for the best. My status was "Pending Review" for about 5 weeks until I saw the denied status.

Time to appeal!!

Anyone who interviewed in September remember when Dr. Peterson said we'd hear back about decisions? I can't recall if she said Oct 15th or around Nov. 1st and I'm trying to plan my later interviews so that I can cancel them if I get in to UCI.

Thanks!

bump for an answer?

Can anyone with a knowledge of the PRIME-LC program please help me?

I interviewed in September, and just received this email from UCI:

Dear XXXX:

I am writing you as a follow up to you interview at UC Irvine School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee will be voting next week on your application. In the meantime some of our faculty and students thought you would be a good fit for our PRIME-LC program as well as our MD program.

I know we provided some information about our PRIME-LC program during your interview day but if this is something you would like to learn more about please let us know. Our office can also reopen your secondary application to apply should you want to go forward with this.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Ellena Peterson

I'm actually kind of bummed I got this email, because now this creates a dilemma for me. I'm not too interested in PRIME-LC, but I love UCI and would absolutely love to go there, even if PRIME-LC was the only way for me to be a med student there. But if I tell them that I'm not interested in PRIME-LC and just want to do the regular MD, will they think, "Oh this guy isn't as interested in Irvine as we thought. And he's not as interested in helping Latinos as we thought"? On the other hand, if I do say I'd like to be considered for PRIME-LC, won't that slow down the review process of my application? Because I'll have to fill out all those new essays, and so they probably won't review my file this coming week, right?

Argh...I was so close to just being reviewed for admission, why did they have to send me this email and complicate everything??

Any advice would be appreciated!

So I got swamped with work and did not complete my secondaries, is it even worth sending them in anymore? I was somehow consoled by the fact that some of my friends didn't even get their MCATs back until two weeks ago, but now I'm really bummed about not having sent them in.

BCPM undergrad:3.27
Overall undergrad: 3.37
degrees: Mol bio & Biochem

BCPM grad: 4.0
Overall grad: 4.0 (6 credits only)
degree: applied mol bio

MCAT:
#1 V6 P11 B12
#2 V12 P11 B10

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got swamped with work and did not complete my secondaries, is it even worth sending them in anymore? I was somehow consoled by the fact that some of my friends didn't even get their MCATs back until two weeks ago, but now I'm really bummed about not having sent them in.

MCAT:
#1 V6 P11 B12
#2 V12 P11 B10

Dear XXXX:

I am writing you as a follow up to you interview at UC Irvine School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee will be voting next week on your application. In the meantime some of our faculty and students thought you would be a good fit for our PRIME-LC program as well as our MD program.

I know we provided some information about our PRIME-LC program during your interview day but if this is something you would like to learn more about please let us know. Our office can also reopen your secondary application to apply should you want to go forward with this.

Sincerely,
Ellena Peterson

I'm actually kind of bummed I got this email, because now this creates a dilemma for me. I'm not too interested in PRIME-LC, but I love UCI and would absolutely love to go there, even if PRIME-LC was the only way for me to be a med student there. But if I tell them that I'm not interested in PRIME-LC and just want to do the regular MD, will they think, "Oh this guy isn't as interested in Irvine as we thought. And he's not as interested in helping Latinos as we thought"? On the other hand, if I do say I'd like to be considered for PRIME-LC, won't that slow down the review process of my application? Because I'll have to fill out all those new essays, and so they probably won't review my file this coming week, right?

Argh...I was so close to just being reviewed for admission, why did they have to send me this email and complicate everything??

dang it's almost like a loaded gun. that's pretty good though. how do you think you became considered for prime lc? are you hispanic/speak spanish? or maybe a lot of underserved work?

MCAT:
#1 V6 P11 B12
#2 V12 P11 B10

I'm not a current student here, but I would still recommend that you complete it. I got the chance to speak directly with the director of admissions here and I was told that UCI works really late into the application season. With interviews being extended all the way until March/April, I would think that it is still worth your time, especially since they don't have their books completely filled until January right now (not that I am aware of at least). Just my two cents.

Dear XXXX:

Sincerely,
Ellena Peterson

From Prime-LC's FAQ: If I'm not accepted to PRIME-LC, does that affect my admittance to the regular class?No, successful applicants get admitted to the regular class first. If accepted into PRIME-LC, the applicants can decide to participate in the regular class or PRIME-LC without any consequences. Each year we have students in the regular class who did not get accepted into the PRIME-LC program.

secondary award- pending review

amcas received 9/3

From Prime-LC's FAQ: If I’m not accepted to PRIME-LC, does that affect my admittance to the regular class?No, successful applicants get admitted to the regular class first. If accepted into PRIME-LC, the applicants can decide to participate in the regular class or PRIME-LC without any consequences. Each year we have students in the regular class who did not get accepted into the PRIME-LC program.

Right, but can I wait until I am accepted to the regular class and *then* apply to PRIME-LC? I just don't want to submit my PRIME-LC application now, and then have that delay my review process for acceptance into the regular MD program because now they have to read a whole bunch of new essays and whatnot.

Just found out I got rejected today. Complete 8/24. Interestingly, no email or notification of any kind. Found out by checking my status online. Assuming snail mail will come with the thin letter.

Gonna try to appeal or at least ask them why they rejected me. Advisable to call?

Sorry about the news. I have heard that you can set up an appt. to meet and see why you were rejected, but I think they usually do these kinds of meetings at the end of May. Good luck with your other schools!!!

Just found out I got rejected today. Complete 8/24. Interestingly, no email or notification of any kind. Found out by checking my status online. Assuming snail mail will come with the thin letter.

Gonna try to appeal or at least ask them why they rejected me. Advisable to call?

Anybody know where I can find this “Statement of Legal Residence Form” that I'm supposed to bring to the interview? Thanks!

Right, but can I wait until I am accepted to the regular class and *then* apply to PRIME-LC? I just don't want to submit my PRIME-LC application now, and then have that delay my review process for acceptance into the regular MD program because now they have to read a whole bunch of new essays and whatnot.

Hey,

You're in a very nice spot! As mentioned above, the PRIME-LC application has no impact on your acceptance to the traditional MD program. It's an additional review process post-MD acceptance, so your initial review process won't be delayed. Accepted applicants who complete PRIME apps have their apps forwarded to a different committee for acceptance to the PRIME program. It's normal to find out that you've been accepted for the traditional MD and then find out about your PRIME status a week or two later.

It's a great compliment from the committee that they think you should apply! But don't be afraid to say no if your heart isn't in it. Just because you're unsure about PRIME doesn't mean your heart isn't into helping the underserved Latino population. It may mean that you don't want to invest time in getting an extra degree. It may mean that you have different service outlets than the PRIME program targets. But don't feel like the committee will look down on you.

It is uncommon for people to enter PRIME after matriculating in the traditional MD program, but it's possible. The program director is a cool guy and once you're in, the administration is very willing to work with you to help you accomplish your personal and professional goals.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

Has anyone received a rejection pre-secondary from Irvine yet? My AMCAS was received early june. Decent stats and MCAT, above avg ECs, so probably not screened in automatically, but I had expected to at least hear back by now... its been 4 months.

Has anyone received a rejection pre-secondary from Irvine yet? My AMCAS was received early june. Decent stats and MCAT, above avg ECs, so probably not screened in automatically, but I had expected to at least hear back by now... its been 4 months.

It's been a couple of months for me too. I was good enough for UCLA, UCD and UCSD's secondaries, so I don't know what's going on with Irvine :(

So today I called the office about something, and also asked about my application status. I was told that my app still hasnt been reviewed. I asked her if that means im "on hold" since i've been complete since 8/7 or so, and they told me no, that my app still even hasnt been reviewed. I'm an OOS, are OOS applicants put in a different pile or something and not reviewed till much later? any OOS interview invites yet out there?? thanks!!

It has been two months exactly. My status is still pending review! What should I do?? Call?? Wait?

join the group, lol. I've been complete since the first week of august...

IS been complete since August 16th. Still Pending Review.

IS been complete since August 16th. Still Pending Review.

Also IS, complete on 8/12, still pending review. It's just said because I see the "Med School Interview" signs on campus. Please send me an interview invite UCI!! :love:

I think I beat all of you with an "end of July" complete date :p

and I'm not even "pending review"...my interview status is just blank lol.\\:xf: for an interview for all of us!!

Also, has anyone in the thread gotten an invite lately? i feel like they haven't even sent out many invites (based on lack of people posting)

chill out guys. i know uci has barelyyyyyyy even started giving out interview invites.

Hi guys,
I'm still pending review as well. My MCAT numbers aren't very good and I'm pretty sure I won't have any luck this cycle. I am re-taking in January. I was complete in June and I was wondering if UCI is even considering me or have they just not reviewed my up to date MCAT scores from September's date?

In other words, since I was set to take the MCAT in September when I applied, did they put me in another pile and they haven't received people without MCAT scores in?

Eventhough I know the odds are against me, its very hard to blow out that flicker of hope that I might have a chance.

Also, if they are still considering me, would they look at my January MCAT as supplemental information for this cycle?

Sorry for the long questions guys...I don't want to call the admissions office because they must be super busy. I am hoping that all of you guys get some good news! :)

Hi guys,
I'm still pending review as well. My MCAT numbers aren't very good and I'm pretty sure I won't have any luck this cycle. I am re-taking in January. I was complete in June and I was wondering if UCI is even considering me or have they just not reviewed my up to date MCAT scores from September's date?

In other words, since I was set to take the MCAT in September when I applied, did they put me in another pile and they haven't received people without MCAT scores in?

Eventhough I know the odds are against me, its very hard to blow out that flicker of hope that I might have a chance.

Also, if they are still considering me, would they look at my January MCAT as supplemental information for this cycle?

Sorry for the long questions guys...I don't want to call the admissions office because they must be super busy. I am hoping that all of you guys get some good news! :)

Hmm, I am going to assume you don't mean "complete" in June with UCI, but probably in July or something. I would say that without your new MCAT scores from Sept (since you indicated you would be retaking the exam or whatever), you'll be reviewed once those are in. I would review your status on uci's secondary application status webpage to ensure all aspects of your application have been received.

Upon receipt of your application in its entirety (all mcat scores), they will review everything they have in front of them and offer you an interview if they choose. The same goes for if you haven't received a secondary from them but are waiting for one. However, word on the street has been that non-automatic secondary applicants will have a "hard time" trying to get a secondary application from UCI since they hand out auto-secondaries to a significant handful of people.

I would definitely consider calling the Admissions Office if you are concerned--it is intimidating, so I empathize with you in that regard...

My "Interview Status" changed from pending review to decision pending... :scared:

I'm in the same boat. Last year's thread didn't shed any light on the matter. One person (of like 3?) had this status change and eventually got an ii, but not until MUCH later.

I personally think its just a game they're playing with us...

ahh got an interview, no e-mail. just checked my status tonight and it said awarded!

THANK YOU! iii was complete 9/1

bio and philosophy major
3.74 C
3.64 S
33R
IS

Hmm, I am going to assume you don't mean "complete" in June with UCI, but probably in July or something. I would say that without your new MCAT scores from Sept (since you indicated you would be retaking the exam or whatever), you'll be reviewed once those are in. I would review your status on uci's secondary application status webpage to ensure all aspects of your application have been received.

Upon receipt of your application in its entirety (all mcat scores), they will review everything they have in front of them and offer you an interview if they choose. The same goes for if you haven't received a secondary from them but are waiting for one. However, word on the street has been that non-automatic secondary applicants will have a "hard time" trying to get a secondary application from UCI since they hand out auto-secondaries to a significant handful of people.

I would definitely consider calling the Admissions Office if you are concerned--it is intimidating, so I empathize with you in that regard...

Hi,
I should have specified, my MCAT scores have been available for the past two weeks.

I am assuming I'm in the non-automatic pile since my numbers are lower than the usual matriculants. So basically, they are taking time to decide who from the non-automatic pile should receive secondaries?

Thanks for the response...I am just mustering up the strength to call them! :)

For those of you who have interviewed at UCI:
Did the interviewers know your grades/MCAT scores? did they ask you anything about grades at all?

Interviewed and placed on alternate list. What does alternate list mean for irvine? I never got an email, just randomly checked.

I also got alternate list. It's waitlist, you won't hear back anything until June at the earliest but they say 1/3 of the class comes off. I thought decisions weren't coming out until November?

yet another interview where my interviewer told me they "hoped I'd choose their school upon acceptance" and a waitlist.

Last edited:
Interviewed and placed on alternate list. What does alternate list mean for irvine? I never got an email, just randomly checked.

I also got alternate list. It's waitlist, you won't hear back anything until June at the earliest but they say 1/3 of the class comes off. I thought decisions weren't coming out until November?

yet another interview where my interviewer told me they "hoped I'd choose their school upon acceptance" and a waitlist.
I'm sorry about the waitlist guys, but from what I've heard it moves a LOT more than other schools, and they said that they accept conservatively at first!

Do you guys mind me asking what your interview dates were? You can PM them if you feel more comfortable.

Thanks for the super fast response guys! Good luck; I really think that interviewing so early bodes well for you and a WL status later in the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.