2010-2011 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interviewed Jan 31
HPL March 4
Accepted TODAY!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed Jan. 27th, heard nothing, accepted today via snail-mail (large packet that says First Class). No change in my online status.

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
like pelias got a fat packet via snail mail, with no online status change from the HPL letter

Interviewed Jan. 27th, heard nothing, accepted today via snail-mail (large packet that says First Class). No change in my online status.

Good luck everyone.

Mail on Sunday? Do you mean yesterday?

Congrats!

Were you previously HPL'ed or not? Do you know when the update appeared? (i.e. had you checked recently?)

Not previously HPL'd. I interviewed January 31st and this is the first I've heard from them since then. I checked my status this morning and it still said Interview Completed, so it changed sometime between 10am and about 4pm. I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, but I am on the east coast.

Not previously HPL'd. I interviewed January 31st and this is the first I've heard from them since then. I checked my status this morning and it still said Interview Completed, so it changed sometime between 10am and about 4pm. I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, but I am on the east coast.

Congrats to you! To those who were just accepted off the HPL, do you have a status update as well?

seems no status change

I think the question was whether or not those accepted off the HPL got the status change which appeared yesterday afternoon (since Jafar and others reported over the weekend). If they haven't, then there are two types of acceptances that were sent out-- from HPL and not-- and there's a chance that those on the HPL not in CA might still get mail.

Pinolio? Jafar? Can you clarify?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know If I am reading Jafar's post wrong or something but it seems pretty clear to me that he was accepted off the HPL and his online status has not changed from the HPL letter. The only people (in the past few days) who have received a status change seem to be those who interviewed and hadn't heard back yet.

Oh Wait, I see now, you are just wondering if his status has change since he received the packet. My bad

Oh Wait, I see now, you are just wondering if his status has change since he received the packet. My bad

:claps: Now you got it.

(just playing with you. ;))

If there's someone out there who's been accepted by mail but who hasn't had a status update, then there's still hope that mail is on the way to those on the East Coast. If everyone who was accepted this week now has a status update, then there's no use watching the mail unless you got that online update...

Best of luck to all.

my parents got my packet in the mail on saturday, needless to say i was surprised when my mom was screaming on the phone when she called about it, haha.

This is my top choice so i'll be going here for sure.

For those accepted, have any of you mailed in the SLR yet? Instructions say to mail it to the address on page one, but that doesn't look like it actually has a street address on it.

edit: i was HPL'd in january, interviewed late november.

Hey Congrats to your acceptance ^^

For the rest of us HPL people who have not been as fortunate, do you think we will be placed onto some sort of tiered waitlist soon? Maybe we will just stay on HPL and they will just continue pulling people off?

my parents got my packet in the mail on saturday, needless to say i was surprised when my mom was screaming on the phone when she called about it, haha.

This is my top choice so i'll be going here for sure.

For those accepted, have any of you mailed in the SLR yet? Instructions say to mail it to the address on page one, but that doesn't look like it actually has a street address on it.

edit: i was HPL'd in january, interviewed late november.

Does the status page reflect your acceptance? Or does it still show the HPL pdf?

Does the status page reflect your acceptance? Or does it still show the HPL pdf?

I PM'ed the poster and it seems like his/her status has changed. We're outta luck this round, it would seem. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Did anyone else who interviewed in mid-Feb hear anything yet? I still haven't heard anything.

I was HPL'd in January, and my status changed (Monday) after I received my acceptance packet (Saturday)! I live in LA.

Did anyone else who interviewed in mid-Feb hear anything yet? I still haven't heard anything.

i interviewed on fed 11th and accepted. but honestly, dont sweat it too much. ucsf says it takes anywhere from 6-8weeks or more for a review. i wish u the best!

Its been 8 weeks for me already and I still haven't heard anything! I interviewed Feb 3rd, should I contact them?

I just checked my status online, and I'm an "alternate". Anyone know what this means? Is it a waitlist?

I just checked my status online, and I'm an "alternate". Anyone know what this means? Is it a waitlist?

From past years, it seems to be UCSF's version of the waitlist. Let me guess- this is the first you've heard back from the admissions committee?

The way I understand it, people who interview late in the cycle will be admitted, rejected, or given this "alternate" status (compared to earlier, where the alternates were HPL'ed). Sometime in April, the HPLed people will hear back whether they were accepted (at least two waves seem to have gone out), rejected, or moved to the alternate list. The alternate list will move after May 15.

From past years, it seems to be UCSF's version of the waitlist. Let me guess- this is the first you've heard back from the admissions committee?

The way I understand it, people who interview late in the cycle will be admitted, rejected, or given this "alternate" status (compared to earlier, where the alternates were HPL'ed). Sometime in April, the HPLed people will hear back whether they were accepted (at least two waves seem to have gone out), rejected, or moved to the alternate list. The alternate list will move after May 15.

I just checked my status and I received the alternate pdf as well. I interviewed in November and was placed on the HPL in January.

Does anyone know the chances of being accepted off the alternate list?

Just a question for those who have been placed on the alternate list.

1. were you initially on the HPL list? (seems at least 1 was)
2. Were you notified by email of the change in status?
3. what does the pdf say about the alternate list?

1. As I stated above, I was HPLed in January.
2. I was not notified by e-mail; I checked my status on my own.
3. The letter is dated April 8th. It states that they can't give any information about movement off the alternate list because there are varying numbers of individuals on the list each year.

Edit: fyi the status page looks exactly the same, but when you click the link to view the pdf you get the "alternate list" pdf instead of the "HPL" pdf.

Last edited:
Have they rejected people?! Or did everyone just get alternate listed??

Thanks Neuro.

I am currently on the HPL and my link still shows the same HPL document. I hate the idea that I will now have to constantly check to see if it changes. . . .

Please let me know if you receive an email notification later this week about it.

Maybe they are reviewing people by interview dates? mine was in January

Last year, it looks like both HPL-> Rejection and HPL-> Alternate were sent out by mail in that order (rejections around the 15th and alternates around the 20th).

Sounds like things are being done differently this year. Eek.

Here's my quick answers:

1. No, I wasn't on the HPL list first (I interviewed in February).
2. No, I wasn't notified by email. I checked the site, and my status changed from "Interview Complete" to indicate that a decision had been made.
3. The pdf basically says that I may hear at any point in during the summer about openings. It's dated April 8th.

Thanks Neuro.

I am currently on the HPL and my link still shows the same HPL document. I hate the idea that I will now have to constantly check to see if it changes. . . .

Please let me know if you receive an email notification later this week about it.

Maybe they are reviewing people by interview dates? mine was in January

I interviewed in november, HPL in January, and still nothing. its probably not strictly chronological, tho how any school operates is a mystery to us all

Congratulations to the incoming class. It is quite an amazing school. One that I would choose again, hands down.

Update: I received an email from UCSF today telling me my status had been updated.

Thank goodness, I think ill just wait for the email instead of checking that PDF every day

I scrolled through the last few pages of this thread and didn't see a link to a facebook group. Does anyone have a link handy? Sorry if this has already been requested. Thank you!

Rejected post hpl. Interviewed nov 11, hpl'd early jan...found rejection pdf online today, dated 4/13. No email/letter yet. Good luck to the rest of u.

me too :( good luck to everyone else on the hpl!

Good luck to those still waiting. Now that UCSF is not an option I am overwhelmingly happy with my top choice. Honestly, it would have been difficult to turn down UCSF if I was offered a seat, but I knew in my heart that SF's cold weather is not the place for me, I will be spending the next four years in Irvine or La Jolla, I am good with that!

So I was placed on the alternate list and I was wondering if sending another update letter would be helpful in any way? I do have a few little things that I can update the school on, but I have already sent an interest/update letter about a week after my interview.

So I was placed on the alternate list and I was wondering if sending another update letter would be helpful in any way? I do have a few little things that I can update the school on, but I have already sent an interest/update letter about a week after my interview.

I read earlier that they don't like letters of intent? but I feel like at this stage especially it would help, no? I have no clue on the matter.

I called when I was HPLed and was told that I should not send anything except updates. They do not consider LOI at all

Well they said the first letter was added to my file so I'm thinking they considered it. It had lots of updates. Now I just have a few updates and I was wondering if I should tell them about it? I dunno if I should also let them know that I got accepted to other schools but that UCSF is still my top choice??

Status
Not open for further replies.