2010-2011 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I haven't gotten the email yet..So, there's no point in making an account since there is no amcas app for them to review...

sob sob sob.

Members don't see this ad.

Hah...relax you guys. I have friends with much higher stats than myself who haven't gotten the emails yet. They review in batches, your time should come soon enough!

From looking at last year's thread, a lot of people got their secondary invite about a month after receiving the initial acknowledgement, especially OOS applicants... So, no need to panic...........yet (I am hoping to get invited for an interview anywhere, before I get a rejection letter or further ignored by UCSF.....pleeeeaseee GOD!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry guys. Last year, my primary was in the first batch received by SF, and it still took 3 weeks to get my secondary invite after getting the "app received" email.

It worked out for me, so don't read too much into these things. It's a long process and you'll drive yourself crazy if you do.

From looking at last year's thread, a lot of people got their secondary invite about a month after receiving the initial acknowledgement, especially OOS applicants... So, no need to panic...........yet (I am hoping to get invited for an interview anywhere, before I get a rejection letter or further ignored by UCSF.....pleeeeaseee GOD!)

I'm just hoping to get that silly "we've received your application" email...since I haven't yet..they must hate me...or my last name..or whatever they're using to look through the apps/download them from AMCAS.

I'm just hoping to get that silly "we've received your application" email...since I haven't yet..they must hate me...or my last name..or whatever they're using to look through the apps/download them from AMCAS.

haha exactly-- I at least want them to acknowledge that I applied! :D

I know right?? I'm still waiting for acknowledgment of my existence! Common UCSF..... :banana:

haha exactly-- I at least want them to acknowledge that I applied! :D
And then you'll get to move on to step 2... obsessively checking the web portal multiple times a day to be greeted with the blank "AMCAS Data Received" status. Not that I would know anything about that. :cool:

haha i find that better than potentially being lost in the shuffle! :laugh:

but yeah its all so agonizing :(

I was just playing around on the UCSF secondary app sign up for fun, and it allowed me to create an account, even though I didn't get a "your application has been received" email. So maybe some of you guys who couldn't make an account earlier can make one now :) Just thought I'd let you know.

Gack! It still doesn't work for me. Is everybody who applied now able to access their account?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gack! It still doesn't work for me. Is everybody who applied now able to access their account?

I assume that when UCSF wants us to make accounts, they will notify us. I don't think making an account even matters, since UCSF screens and only sent out the notification email to let us know they received it and will be looking at it. I don't think we need to do anything until they actually request a secondary from us anyway...

I assume that when UCSF wants us to make accounts, they will notify us. I don't think making an account even matters, since UCSF screens and only sent out the notification email to let us know they received it and will be looking at it. I don't think we need to do anything until they actually request a secondary from us anyway...

Of course, but it's nice to know they have received your application.

Nobody wants to have this happen to them.

I cannot imagine not logging in and checking obsessively! :eek:

Nobody wants to have this happen to them.

I cannot imagine not logging in and checking obsessively! :eek:

Thanks to your post...I made myself log in..but nothing spectacular like that link you provided...they downloaded my app and will review it within the next twelve weeks. *sigh*

Yea, just tried to make an account and still can't. Looks like I will need to show a little more patience and wait for the elusive email!

lol dianyla you are just feeding the fire of my obsession!
:smuggrin:

One thing that has definitely been helping me be slightly less obsessive is the observation that they have a 9:30pm cronjob that processes the day's updates. My semi-educated stalkerish guess (I do sysadmin work) is that reviewers can submit their feedback on you any time of day, but at 9:30 this job goes through, tallies everything up, and processes the day's notifications.

Check through last year's thread and you'll see that people got everything from the initial welcome email to secondary invites to interview invites, and the emails were often at 9:30pm. There were a few outliers where people got emails at different times of day, but those could be explained by periodic maintenance or outages delaying the normal processing.

This really helps me sleep at night. If it's 10pm, and I haven't gotten any news, then there is clearly no news for the day and I should go to bed. :rolleyes:

One thing that has definitely been helping me be slightly less obsessive is the observation that they have a 9:30pm cronjob that processes the day's updates. My semi-educated stalkerish guess (I do sysadmin work) is that reviewers can submit their feedback on you any time of day, but at 9:30 this job goes through, tallies everything up, and processes the day's notifications.

Check through last year's thread and you'll see that people got everything from the initial welcome email to secondary invites to interview invites, and the emails were often at 9:30pm. There were a few outliers where people got emails at different times of day, but those could be explained by periodic maintenance or outages delaying the normal processing.

This really helps me sleep at night. If it's 10pm, and I haven't gotten any news, then there is clearly no news for the day and I should go to bed. :rolleyes:

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but the fact that you know all of that is quite intense...in addition to the fact that knowing this information actually helps you sleep at night...I don't mean it in a negative way...it's just surprising to me that people actually keep track of these things..

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but the fact that you know all of that is quite intense...in addition to the fact that knowing this information actually helps you sleep at night...I don't mean it in a negative way...it's just surprising to me that people actually keep track of these things..
I am actually being completely serious. Yeah, I know, it's pathetic. :laugh:

I'm shamelessly and obsessively stalking UCSF, and will do anything I can to maximize my chances of getting in here. :love:

ETA: I will point out that noticing the time trend isn't a super conscious thing for me. As soon as I saw the second or third person mention getting an email at 9:30pm, I just shrugged and said "ah, so that's when the job is scheduled". I spend my whole day working on automated processing and notification systems, and so I'm also just really curious about how various schools have developed computer systems to manage their application review process. Especially since most of these seem to be home-grown applications. But anyways, methinks she doth protest too much...

Last edited:
I am actually being completely serious. Yeah, I know, it's pathetic. :laugh:

I'm shamelessly and obsessively stalking UCSF, and will do anything I can to maximize my chances of getting in here. :love:

ETA: I will point out that noticing the time trend isn't a super conscious thing for me. As soon as I saw the second or third person mention getting an email at 9:30pm, I just shrugged and said "ah, so that's when the job is scheduled". I spend my whole day working on automated processing and notification systems, and so I'm also just really curious about how various schools have developed computer systems to manage their application review process. Especially since most of these seem to be home-grown applications. But anyways, methinks she doth protest too much...

actually..all of this automated notiifcation stuff intrigues me..bc I'm always curious how they can email people and just..seem so "real"

actually..all of this automated notiifcation stuff intrigues me..bc I'm always curious how they can email people and just..seem so "real"
I know, we'd much rather believe that there is some devoted AdCom member slaving away over applications late at night, finger hovering over that magic Send button. :p

Kinda like this...

God+at+his+computer.jpg

Last edited:
Just got an auto secondary from UCSF....around 9:30P haha...so much for freaking out.

Dianyla, thanks a lot for the explanation. I was wondering, for example, who at WashU sent me an email at 1:00 AM. Now it all makes sense.

Me too!! so short in comparison to Davis/UCLA/SD :)

Hmm, I got auto-secondaries from UCSD and UCD..Davis came immediately, SD came two hours after they "received" my application. Could be "automatic",...or could be how they do their email system.

I don't think OOSers are getting invites yet, dianyla :p

I don't think OOSers are getting invites yet, dianyla :p
Oh, I know. Last year I don't think anyone OOS got a secondary within a month of being complete. :xf:

I just can't believe Asyouwereatrio got one right as we were discussing the ol' 9:30pm email phenomenon!

Oh, I know. Last year I don't think anyone OOS got a secondary within a month of being complete. :xf:

I just can't believe Asyouwereatrio got one right as we were discussing the ol' 9:30pm email phenomenon!

Oh, aweeesome. More time to wait. That's good to know so I don't get worried about not getting the second e-mail, though.

Supposedly only 1500 applicants get secondary and out of them 500 are interviewed according to the UCSF website ...

so we have a 1/3 chance? I know for sure more than 2/3 got rejected from the ppl I know who applied last yr with secondaries. Do you guys think UCSF is just giving us false hope?

Oh, aweeesome. More time to wait. That's good to know so I don't get worried about not getting the second e-mail, though.
I also seem to recall that nobody OOS gets the instant autosecondary invite. Fair enough, UC schools owe loyalty to their IS taxpaying residents.

C'mon give OOS students secondaries sooner!!!

What sort of uber-amazing wonderfulness is reasonable to list on the updated/expanded activity list? I started volunteering at a new community center in the past few months. Would that be good to go into or would anyone recommend elaborating on a previously listed activity? Thanks! :)

Hmmm, now I know that I don't have to check my inbox until 9:30 tomorrow. Don't keep me waiting too long UCSF!

This, first of all, is adorable. Also, I love the Far Side ;)
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I'm OOS, average stats, and I got acknowledged on 7/13, and status updated (secondary invite) on 7/15. I submitted that day, but still haven't received any sort of update. I'm not really sure that I will, considering my status page just tells me that I won't hear anything further unless I get an interview invite.

Bubble burster.

Sorry! I wasn't going to say anything, but then I realized that I'd really want to know if the situation were reversed. Kinda like how I now know that people complete after me at Albert Einstein have gotten interview invites... I mean I really needed to know that...

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, lol.

This, first of all, is adorable. Also, I love the Far Side ;)
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I'm OOS, average stats, and I got acknowledged on 7/13, and status updated (secondary invite) on 7/15. I submitted that day, but still haven't received any sort of update. I'm not really sure that I will, considering my status page just tells me that I won't hear anything further unless I get an interview invite.

So cruel! Now I'm going to spend the rest of my day crying.... :(

Haha, but no seriously thanks for the information. I wasn't exactly holding my breath for this one anyway, so it wouldn't be surprising. Congratulations, though! Hopefully they'd like to interview you.

Sorry! I wasn't going to say anything, but then I realized that I'd really want to know if the situation were reversed. Kinda like how I now know that people complete after me at Albert Einstein have gotten interview invites... I mean I really needed to know that...

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, lol.

You absolutely should have said something:)

I would love to know what your last name begins with though. For some reason all of this feels alphabetical to me.

i don't think it's alphabetical. i'm OOS, received a secondary invite last week, and am towards the end of the alphabet. i was verified 6/10, if that helps.

You absolutely should have said something:)

I would love to know what your last name begins with though. For some reason all of this feels alphabetical to me.

I'm very close to the end of the alphabet. It doesn't feel alphabetical to me. It feels like there are a few people looking them over, and some people get done faster. In other words, completely random :)

Which is odd for me to say, because I see patterns in *everything*

I am glad you destroyed our bubbles too. I would be more worried if it wasn't 7/22. We still have ages to get a secondary request etc. Congrats to you guys though!

Well, I could swear that I had created an account and now when I go to check the status it does not recognize me. But maybe i created the account for another school and I was never able to create one before for UCSF....I think I am beginning to looooseee iittt. By now, I am so f****** pissed off that I am not checking that damned site anymore......unless....unless they send me the second email inviting me for the secondary.....pleeeeeeassssseeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.