2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just got an update today
"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

pretty happy with this!
 
just got an update today
"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

pretty happy with this!

jjwoo were you notified by e-mail or did you have to log into the application status website? thx
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well more specifically it was actually an email notifying me of a status change then me logging on to see whether it was good news or bad news
 
Got an interview!

How'd you guys get yours scheduled for September? January 3 was the earliest day it gave me.


Edit: Following suit with other people, I went from "interested but would like to review further" to invite. Complete on 7/19.
 
Got an interview!

How'd you guys get yours scheduled for September? January 3 was the earliest day it gave me.


Edit: Following suit with other people, I went from "interested but would like to review further" to invite. Complete on 7/19.

There September interview dates on there, but the drop down menu is messed up and starts on "January" for some reason. If you look down a little further you'll see September listed there. If you've already scheduled a January interview, call them and they'll change it for you - my friend made the same mistake.
 
There September interview dates on there, but the drop down menu is messed up and starts on "January" for some reason. If you look down a little further you'll see September listed there. If you've already scheduled a January interview, call them and they'll change it for you - my friend made the same mistake.

Thanks a bunch! What would I do without SDN? (I'd interview in January, that's what). I just submitted a request to reschedule my interview, so I'll follow up tomorrow by phone to make sure it went through/see what else I need to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks a bunch! What would I do without SDN? (I'd interview in January, that's what). I just submitted a request to reschedule my interview, so I'll follow up tomorrow by phone to make sure it went through/see what else I need to do.

No problem, I flipped out for a sec too when I thought the earliest I could get was January...see you Sept 14 if thats when you change it to 🙂
 
No problem, I flipped out for a sec too when I thought the earliest I could get was January...see you Sept 14 if thats when you change it to 🙂

Alas! I'll (hopefully) end up interviewing September 13. Almost all of my classes next semester are Tuesday/Thursday, so I'm trying to fit in as many interviews as possible on Mondays or Fridays.
 
Anyone scheduled for interview in Sept (who is in the Richmond area) want to get together to practice questions/discuss strategies?
 
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!! 9/27 IM GOING!😀😀😀😀

Im at OOS, complete mid july! I am happy cause i never imagined VCU would be my first interview, in fact i was scared i wasnt going tog et any

SGPA: 3.74, MCAT: 29,30
 
this was debated a lot last year. what i got from reading the thread was that the 'may' was better .. but some poeple disagreed with that. either way, a decent number of people received interviews and acceptances from both. :luck:

edit: took too long posting, robflanker beat me to it! but i did read through the whole thread 😳 lol

I am an OOS re-applicant and was given the "may" status around October last year and then never got an interview invite. This year I have an improved MCAT, complete prerequisites, added volunteer work and more research and I got the committee want's to consider your file further status so I sure hope that's better than the "may" status. However, I'm beginning to think it's just nonsensical and maybe just depends on who updates your status.
 
Just got the message about the committee being interested in my candidacy 🙂

VCU emailed July 7th to say they got my primary. I submitted my secondary around July 26th. For anyone who's interested...

OOS William and Mary Student
cGPA 3.68
sGPA 3.76
MCAT 31Q (v9b11p11)

Good luck all!
 
Are you guys getting notifications today? or are these from like friday and you are just picking them up now?
 
Are you guys getting notifications today? or are these from like friday and you are just picking them up now?


I got the notification today (must be working sundays). I got the MAY status, complete July 28th so I'm hopping it changes to INTERVEIW soon 😀

Cangratz to all those who got interviews!
 
I got the notification today (must be working sundays). I got the MAY status, complete July 28th so I'm hopping it changes to INTERVEIW soon 😀

Cangratz to all those who got interviews!

congrats on the update - i was complete the same day as you so hopefully i'll get an update soon :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great weekend get back from a 3 day lost coast backpacking trip to find I jumped from status 3 ( re-review) to interview invite. 35 mcat 3.68 oos so don't despair if you have the re-review status
 
I am trying to decide if I should submit my AMCAS app yet. I took the MCAT last year and applied a few places but after I found out my MCAT score, I decided not to reply to any secondaries. (MCAT was mid 20's). I retook my MCAT and the scores come back Aug 29th. My plan was to wait to submit my application the day I got my scores back because I want to tailor my school selection to my scores. I know VCU is my top choice, but I don't want them to see my app and scores as they are right now because nothing has changed until those scores come in. Any thoughts? Should I wait, or will it end up screwing me over to submit so late in the cycle? Thanks for the comments.
 
I am trying to decide if I should submit my AMCAS app yet. I took the MCAT last year and applied a few places but after I found out my MCAT score, I decided not to reply to any secondaries. (MCAT was mid 20's). I retook my MCAT and the scores come back Aug 29th. My plan was to wait to submit my application the day I got my scores back because I want to tailor my school selection to my scores. I know VCU is my top choice, but I don't want them to see my app and scores as they are right now because nothing has changed until those scores come in. Any thoughts? Should I wait, or will it end up screwing me over to submit so late in the cycle? Thanks for the comments.
Since VCU screens for secondaries I think you should wait, though you will ask them to hold off until your results are there but i think first impression will stay so I would wait while working on the secondaries so as soon as you get the secondaries you can submit right away
 
Hi,

Does anyone know some interesting or unique aspects of VCU? what are some possibly answers to why people would attend. Any help would be appreciated
 
Has anyone else received "status update" emails with no update in status? (my file just says "complete" but I've had 3 status update emails since submitting on 7/31)
 
Submitted!! Goddd it makes me really nervous seeing all these interview invites, and my app isn't even complete yet.
 
No problem, I flipped out for a sec too when I thought the earliest I could get was January...see you Sept 14 if thats when you change it to 🙂

Alas, it was not meant to be! By the time they released my application back into the system, all the September dates that I could do were gone. I'll be there October 4! (Not the best date, but certainly better than January!)
 
dont worry.... submitted weeks ago but my letter are not even in... God knows when there will be so you are not alone..

I feel you! I submitted 3 weeks ago almost and my letters have no all been uploaded. They were all submitted to AMCAS at the beginning of July so I don't understand why it is taking VCU so long! I called and they said they have 2000 letters to link. It sucks. My committee letter has been in since July 3 and its still not posted for my VCU account.
 
Just got the "want to review your file further" status update. Honestly, I'm excited because I thought with my low MCAT score it'd be an auto-reject. Glad to see they actually looked at my application.
 
just got rejected.

Complete 8/3.

OOS. 3.65 cgpa. 3.72 scgpa. 31 mcat (11 bs, 9 v, 11ps).

good luck everyone!
 
just got rejected.

Complete 8/3.

OOS. 3.65 cgpa. 3.72 scgpa. 31 mcat (11 bs, 9 v, 11ps).

good luck everyone!
🙁 Man, your stats are awesome. Sorry, about the status, but I'm betting it has to do with CA. I'm OOS too, and your stats are better than mine (by alot). Chin up, you'll do great somewhere else 👍
No word here on my end. I'm in limbo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you all receiving interviews. My advice is to go to the egyptian building early that morning (where first years have classes, you won't miss it and it's very close to the admissions office) and go sit in on a lecture. Just observe the students and you will learn a lot about the class. This could potentially help you out during interviews when they ask "Why VCU?" Go check in at the office to let them know you are there first.

The interview is laid back but DO NOT treat it as one. Always be on your toes and be attentive. It is an hour long which means you need to do a mock interview and train yourself at sitting straight up for an entire hour, while being polite, using proper eye contact, not using unnecessary hang gestures, etc.

Also, study your primary and secondary app! The interviewer will take a lot of things off of it and will see if you are consistent with the person they read about!
 
I received a status update on July 15. It said, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

Does this mean hold? Rejection? Interview granted? More waiting?

Thanks!
 
I received a status update on July 15. It said, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

Does this mean hold? Rejection? Interview granted? More waiting?

Thanks!

Well, t says that they will now do a comprehensive review of your application. So I don't think it means hold/rejection/interview granted explicitly. So more waiting would be my two cents.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.