You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Anyone else on here interviewing on 9/23? I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with a student host.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm invited to schedule an interview, and it seems like I can schedule on a number of days from October all the way to March. I was wondering whether it would hurt my chances if I leave it off for January instead of, say, October? Those who interview first have a better chance of acceptance?
Complete on 7/29; MCAT score came in on 8/10; Interview email on 8/15. OOS.
Complete on 7/29; MCAT score came in on 8/10; Interview email on 8/15. OOS.
Last edited:
Interview invite! Scheduled for Oct 7
3.7 / 39 / IS
Complete: July 15
"Further" status update: Aug 4
3.7 / 39 / IS
Complete: July 15
"Further" status update: Aug 4
Just received an interview invite; scheduled it for Oct 25.
I had the "further" status but I'm pretty surprised I got an interview (my 27 and 3.71 are nothing special and I'm OOS). Super excited for the interview though! 😀
I had the "further" status but I'm pretty surprised I got an interview (my 27 and 3.71 are nothing special and I'm OOS). Super excited for the interview though! 😀
Just? At 2AM in the morning? 😛
Just? At 2AM in the morning? 😛
Haha. Yeah, that'd be pretty strange at 2am. It came in at like 4pm today (which totally confused me since it was a Sunday).😛
Interview invite today as well. 29/3.69 OOS. Don't remember when I was complete but I had the #2 (...MAY...) status for about two weeks before the invite today.
Hi:
Are there people sitting with the same "complete, will do a comprehensive review" for a long time?
I am complete since 7/19 but not change in status!
Thanks
Are there people sitting with the same "complete, will do a comprehensive review" for a long time?
I am complete since 7/19 but not change in status!
Thanks
Hi:
Are there people sitting with the same "complete, will do a comprehensive review" for a long time?
I am complete since 7/19 but not change in status!
Thanks
I'm in exactly the same boat, and was also complete on 7/19. Seems odd to me that folks are having changes in their status's and there's no change for some of us 😕
I'm in exactly the same boat, and was also complete on 7/19. Seems odd to me that folks are having changes in their status's and there's no change for some of us 😕
I'm in the same boat too! I've been complete with no status change since 7/28. Blah I check for a status change everyday
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Amateur. I check all 20 of my schools every half an hour.I'm in the same boat too! I've been complete with no status change since 7/28. Blah I check for a status change everyday
Amateur. I check all 20 of my schools every half an hour.
Ha, ha, ha
me too 
Amateur. I check all 20 of my schools every half an hour.
Awesome! haha
Amateur. I check all 20 of my schools every half an hour.
I designed a separate computer that is designed to check the status of all my schools every 5 minutes. That machine is a champ :cry:
I designed a separate computer that is designed to check the status of all my schools every 5 minutes. That machine is a champ :cry:
Lol WTF I don't sit in front of my computer all day checking- I actually enjoy my day! Checking more often won't make the status updates appear.
Lol WTF I don't sit in front of my computer all day checking- I actually enjoy my day! Checking more often won't make the status updates appear.
I just set up my iphone to check my email every 15 mins. Damn I love that phone! I schedule my interviews on it too lol. 👍
Lol WTF I don't sit in front of my computer all day checking- I actually enjoy my day! Checking more often won't make the status updates appear.
I think he was making a joke? If not, then uh... I agree with you lol.
I think he was making a joke? If not, then uh... I agree with you lol.
LOL nah I didn't make a computer for that. I do check my e-mail and SDN often though.
Just got the further status yesterday and I was complete on the same day.
Hi:
Are there people sitting with the same "complete, will do a comprehensive review" for a long time?
I am complete since 7/19 but not change in status!
Thanks
Just got the further status yesterday and I was complete on the same day.
Same here...got the further status a few days ago.
Does anyone have any stats on how many OOS get accepted versus how many OOS get interviews? It seems like VCU interviews a lot of folks.
Does anyone have any stats on how many OOS get accepted versus how many OOS get interviews? It seems like VCU interviews a lot of folks.
Last year 448 OOS interviewed and 229 were accepted.
So if you got an interview and are not awkward and don't smell, you should be fine 😛
still waiting on VCU here 😳
LOL nah I didn't make a computer for that. I do check my e-mail and SDN often though.
I know pre-meds are neurotic, but that seems a bit extreme even for us lol. But I am also guilty of being a compulsive e-mail and SDN checker 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got invited for an interview a couple weeks back, Now im debating whether I want to stay in an hotel or with a student host. The idea of having a comfortable bed and quiet sleeping conditions seems really appealing, but not sure if maybe it would be worth it to sleep on a floor to save some cash and get some inside info.
Thoughts?
Thoughts?
I feel you COMFORT is my big thing too. I owe student loan because of comfort lol IDK how i feel about having a student potentially scare me the night before my interview or greatly help idk but if i get a chance, i will stay with a student.Just make sure its a cool one 😳So I got invited for an interview a couple weeks back, Now im debating whether I want to stay in an hotel or with a student host. The idea of having a comfortable bed and quiet sleeping conditions seems really appealing, but not sure if maybe it would be worth it to sleep on a floor to save some cash and get some inside info.
Thoughts?
I was considering that a little while ago too but I've decided on staying with a student host. I like that some of them would be willing to pick me up/drop me off at the airport, provide inside info, drive me/give directions to get to campus quickly, etc. It seems like there's a lot less hassle compared to staying at a hotel and figuring out all that stuff on your own. Plus, I don't mind sleeping on the couch/floor. So, that's my reasoning behind staying with a student host.So I got invited for an interview a couple weeks back, Now im debating whether I want to stay in an hotel or with a student host. The idea of having a comfortable bed and quiet sleeping conditions seems really appealing, but not sure if maybe it would be worth it to sleep on a floor to save some cash and get some inside info.
Thoughts?
Now I just have to decide who I'm going to contact.
"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."
I got this update today. If we get this message are we suppose to just sit on it and hope that they give us an interview or are we expected to do something like send them a letter of interest or something?
I got this update today. If we get this message are we suppose to just sit on it and hope that they give us an interview or are we expected to do something like send them a letter of interest or something?
So I got invited for an interview a couple weeks back, Now im debating whether I want to stay in an hotel or with a student host. The idea of having a comfortable bed and quiet sleeping conditions seems really appealing, but not sure if maybe it would be worth it to sleep on a floor to save some cash and get some inside info.
Thoughts?
I'd recommend staying with a student host. You can always ask what sleeping arrangements are available.
Now I just have to decide who I'm going to contact.I'm guessing we can only contact them via phone/text since they didn't give emails (or did I miss the emails?). Would people recommending a text message or is that a bit too impersonal?
I vote for a phone call. If there is no answer they're prolly busy studying, in class, or in clinic. Leave a voice mail, and I'm pretty sure they will get back to you.
Last edited:
D
deleted248403
I for one will be doing the hotel option.
A variable I can control; whilst the student i am sure is fine, for my peace of my mind and the $50-75 it will cost would rather have my own place for the night
A variable I can control; whilst the student i am sure is fine, for my peace of my mind and the $50-75 it will cost would rather have my own place for the night
I for one will be doing the hotel option.
A variable I can control; whilst the student i am sure is fine, for my peace of my mind and the $50-75 it will cost would rather have my own place for the night
I'm leaning this way also, but I'm not going to decide yet.
"further" status...anyone know if they just do status updates on Sundays?
Mine was on a Thursday.
D
deleted248403
I got my interview offer on a sunday
I'm an applicant who was not offered an interview this year but who was offered an interview last year. Does anyone know if this is at all common with VCU?
I'm an applicant who was not offered an interview this year but who was offered an interview last year. Does anyone know if this is at all common with VCU?
I'm not sure if it's a common thing, but i've applied 3 times to VCU and the first time I got an interview (was waitlisted and didn't get off the waitlist), applied again next cycle and didn't get an interview. Now, i'm just hoping i get one this time

did they ever tell you why they didn't interview you the second time?
D
deleted248403
Well if nothing changes with your app between year 1 and year 2; i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt interview you. I mean, no growth in a year, would be a bad thing - i would have thought.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn, I'm bummed. I just got this status today, "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."
Is there even a chance still? I think it's only 1 step above a rejection... Thanks for your input!
(OOS, 3.6cGPA, 3.64sGPA, 31R)
Is there even a chance still? I think it's only 1 step above a rejection... Thanks for your input!
(OOS, 3.6cGPA, 3.64sGPA, 31R)
Interviewed last year after receiving the "may" status, and I just received the "may" status again this cycle. Here's hoping...
did they ever tell you why they didn't interview you the second time?
Well after I didn't get in off the waitlist, they told me I needed more shadowing experience. My application actually changed a bit when I applied again 2nd cycle - I shadowed a physician over the summer (one that wrote a rec for me) and then during the fall (last school year) I did an SMP and got my M.S. in cell & molec bio, over 100 hrs of volunteering in a local hospital (lots of hands on) and working part time in clinical research. I would say that's improvement. Yet still no interview last year, though I was kind of told I should apply after I finish grad school and not so much during. Maybe since I've finished, my chances are better this year


Got my rejection yesterday. I was hoping for at least a maybe interested. 31MCAT 3.5gpa. Oh well.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.