2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a status update on July 15. It said, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

Does this mean hold? Rejection? Interview granted? More waiting?

Thanks!
I think its pretty obvious they are reviewing it, seen as that was the word mention. Then they go on to say AFTER your review....

How could interpret this as anything other than they are reviewing your app?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a status update on July 15. It said, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

Thanks!

LOL, what? Come on, this status update is nothing compared to MCAT Verbal that you've survived. It's pretty self-explanatory, no? Don't make this process harder on yourself.

Thanks!

It means call them and ask to speak with the Dean of Admissions to request a spot in the class, immediately....:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok....I got a very weird status update....anyone have any idea what this could possibly mean?

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

This is by far the most confusing school ..:confused:

damn, first rejection.

OOS / 3.6 / 34R

good :luck: everyone!!!

congrats on the update - i was complete the same day as you so hopefully i'll get an update soon :xf:

Acp2010,

I was complete on the same day as you and got the MAY status today. Yours will be coming soon too so don't worry.

:oops:
damn, first rejection.

OOS / 3.6 / 34R

good :luck: everyone!!!

Wow, I don't have a prayer then :eek: OOS too.

:luck:With your stats, you'll get in somewhere:xf:

Was your reject pre or post secondary? Sorry to be so blunt:oops:
I've got a few rejects of my own :(

:oops:

Wow, I don't have a prayer then :eek: OOS too.

:luck:With your stats, you'll get in somewhere:xf:

Was your reject pre or post secondary? Sorry to be so blunt:oops:
I've got a few rejects of my own :(

I was rejected post-secondary. Really bummed; this school was in my "top 5". Do you guys know if this school gives preference for Virginia residents?

So just to serve as a counter balance - I have lower stats than some of the ppl rejected so far, and got the "may" message.

So just because you see someone who has higher stats than you rejected - doesnt mean you will be.

I was rejected post-secondary. Really bummed; this school was in my "top 5". Do you guys know if this school gives preference for Virginia residents?

Yes...
The school is supported with about 7 percent of its budget coming from the Commonwealth of Virginia each year. Consequently, we do give preference to in-state residents.

Last edited:
Acp2010,

I was complete on the same day as you and got the MAY status today. Yours will be coming soon too so don't worry.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Hopefully my status will change within the next day or two and I hope it'll be good news! :)

Is it a very bad sign to be still listed as "comprehensive review of your application"?

I was complete long ago (July 17th) but have not had a new status update since end of july to say I would be under comprehensive review. After more than 2 weeks of silence, is this happening to others? Or is everyone getting a bunch of updates in status? Is this a hint that I am going to get rejected? :oops:

Is it a very bad sign to be still listed as "comprehensive review of your application"?

I was complete long ago (July 17th) but have not had a new status update since end of july to say I would be under comprehensive review. After more than 2 weeks of silence, is this happening to others? Or is everyone getting a bunch of updates in status? Is this a hint that I am going to get rejected? :oops:

Mine says: "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Mine has said that since July 28th. I'm not sure whether it's a bad sign, but I take it to mean that they are just taking their time looking over our stuff. It's certainly not a rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
So just to serve as a counter balance - I have lower stats than some of the ppl rejected so far, and got the "may" message.

So just because you see someone who has higher stats than you rejected - doesnt mean you will be.

True, I got the "interested in your candidacy...MAY" status update today too. Really surprising considering my GPA sucks. But I worked hard on my essay for VCU...hoping they'll throw me a bone.

I do feel good getting the may status with my app in early though since they said they may not be able to interview everyone at my priority score...if everything is even, I think early > late...at least that's what I tell myself.

Yeah that is the same message I have...but since I was complete almost two weeks before you...I wonder if i should be worried. Everyone else in this thread was saying just how many updates they had from VCU but i am sitting, waiting, wishing for one haha :luck:

Mine says: "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Mine has said that since July 28th. I'm not sure whether it's a bad sign, but I take it to mean that they are just taking their time looking over our stuff. It's certainly not a rejection.

What are some of your favorite things about VCU? jw

Really? Believe me, I've researched the school. I was just asking this question to get some conversation started on this thread about the school we are all interested in. If you don't want to talk about what you like about the school... then dont. But don't assume that I haven't researched a school that I'll be interviewing at in less than a month. Please. Chill out.

Oh I'm chill - just hate when ppl come into a thread and ask others to answer their secondary prompts for them.

Oh I'm chill - just hate when ppl come into a thread and ask others to answer their secondary prompts for them.

Oh I don't need you to answer my secondary prompt for me. Its already complete.

of course it does...care for citizen of VA though their class has a lot of oos its public

For me, big selling points were the: HOMBRE program, preceptorship in the FCM class, and option to train at INOVA during the clinical years.

I enjoy volunteering in underserved areas (both domestic and abroad) which is why I liked the HOMBRE program. The one-on-one aspect of the preceptorship was unique to other schools who assign multiple students to a single mentor. Also, I currently live in Arlington and the INOVA Fairfax hospital is really close to where I live now.

Don't think it's all that insightful or doing someone else's HW for them but those are a few aspects that I enjoy about the school.

interview invite!! OOS

scheduled 10/11 monday

anyone who is also interviewing on that day and wants to split a hotel room the night before please PM me. I am an asian female, prefer female.

interview invite! OOS, I had the "further" status before the invite.

Wheeee interview invite, so excited! Invited after #2 status, OOS.

OOS- Invited for interview, I know nothing about richmond.

I assume I would fly in to (RIC)?

Any ideas on hotels to stay in?

Hey guys, I just got the "may" status. I noticed earlier in the thread that some people got interviews with this status, and I'm just curious if this is some sort of small pool that everyone passes through, or if some people get interviews directly after being complete.

VCU is great. I did their post-bacc at the medical school and was taught by many of the faculty. All my favorite professors taught the medical students too.
If you are asking about Richmond, it is a mecca of awesome restaurants!! and the carts at MCV for lunch are awesome. Its a really great city with a lot going on, especially in the summer. Don't listen to all the negative hype about the city though. Its really great!

Just received the "may" status today =/ Hopefully there's still a chance for an invite after this status >.<

Just received the "may" status today =/ Hopefully there's still a chance for an invite after this status >.<

plenty of chance, lots of people in the past few pages who got the "may" status got an interview

My status changed this past Saturday to:

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like a decent number of people with this status did end up getting interview invites (and acceptances as well!). Hopefully, those of us with this status will get invites over the next two months or so. I'd love to go to this school!

First interview invite!! Got an email a few hours ago saying my status was updated and I logged on with my heart pounding to see an interview invite! Submitted secondary around July 21st, got the "further review" status on July 31st, and an interview invite today! Very excited. :)

Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

My status just changed today from being under review to:

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. "

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the status I have and the following status that some people have received:

"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

Is one more promising than the other?

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. "

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the status I have and the following status that some people have received:

"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

I too have the "further" status. I believe "interested in your candidacy" > "further."

I think the general consensus among last year's thread was that "may" > "further," however people with both got interviews and acceptances. I had the "further" status and got an interview, as have several others in this thread.

complete 7/28. still no status update :( i wonder what's taking them so long.

I think the general consensus among last year's thread was that "may" > "further," however people with both got interviews and acceptances. I had the "further" status and got an interview, as have several others in this thread.

ok so for anyone confused about the statuses...I found this from last year's thread...I don't know how legit it is but it makes sense. VCU seems to have 5 priority scores and here they are with the messages:

Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection.

This is what I found...hope it helps

got my interview invite too. when are all of you interviewing if you don't mind me asking? I'm scheduled for January. When i was scheduling they were only scheduling for january on. That seems a little too far away.

got my interview invite too. when are all of you interviewing if you don't mind me asking? I'm scheduled for January. When i was scheduling they were only scheduling for january on. That seems a little too far away.

Oct 6 pushed it back earlier dates in sep were available for me I think

i got the interview invite on thurs..and i was able to schedule it on 10/11..and there are plenty spots still open, you sure the earliest u can schedule is jan?

i'm guessing that i got super excited since it's my first invite and hastily clicked on an interview spot. i will definitely try to reschedule the date for an earlier one. thanks for the response.

I'm away from the boards for a little while to finish up M3 and have a baby and when I check back in you guys already have more than 7 pages?!? In August? LOL

Just wanted to wish you guys good luck. VCU is a great school and I've really enjoyed my time here.

OK, enough procrastinating, I really need to get back to studying since I take USMLE Step 2CK and CS both in a week. :eek:

i'm guessing that i got super excited since it's my first invite and hastily clicked on an interview spot. i will definitely try to reschedule the date for an earlier one. thanks for the response.

I did the same thing. When picking a month to interview January is the first available in the drop down menu, but if you go to the bottom of the drop down menu it has dates before then. I emailed them and got it rescheduled to October. Good luck!

ok so for anyone confused about the statuses...I found this from last year's thread...I don't know how legit it is but it makes sense. VCU seems to have 5 priority scores and here they are with the messages:

Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection.

This is what I found...hope it helps

Thanks for taking the time to gather this info. I guess "may" seems to be > "further". Either way, hopefully an interview will come my way soon. :xf:

Does anyone know if the interviews are done "closed file" or if the interviewers will have access to our entire application.

Status
Not open for further replies.