2011-2012 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on 12/16 and just heard back. Got an email stating I was on the priority waitlist. Although it's not an acceptance, I still feel honored. This school seems fantastic.

However, I will be letting them know that I will be taking myself out of the running for this school. Only because I got into my state school. If it wasn't for that and I was accepted at Cooper, then I would definitely attend here.

Yes, Camden seemed like it could be dangerous, but being the one person to take public transit to the hospital on the interview day (as it seemed anyways), although I came from far away, it's really just like any other big city. Just be safe, be smart, and don't put yourself in dangerous situations. Also, it may help to have some self defense techniques under your belt.

The facilities themselves are beautiful, and far nicer than my school. The learning experience would be top notch. The easy access to reach Philly was also a plus.

The one concern I had for going to this school was how quickly they want the first class to jump into working in the free clinic. I understand the mission of the school, but only having 3 weeks to get used to medical school before also taking on that challenge seemed like a bit much. I'm all for early experience with patients, but besides administrative work or shadowing, there's not a whole lot most first years can do. Also, I hope that the people they choose, at least some of them, have some experience working in clinics. Although it's stuff that can be learned, it takes time to feel comfortable with the flow and working inside that setting. My solution would be to wait until the second semester at least, but hey, what do I know?

Good luck to those waiting. It's a long road, but don't give up.

Doesn't seem like they have offered too many acceptance recently.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what they're saying, they want to make it equally as likely to get an acceptance during the last interview day as it was in the first. So I'm sure right now there are open spots right now..although obviously I don't know this for sure. This is why I think we won't hear until March to get off the waitlist, priority or otherwise. Wait until everyone interviews then fill the spots with the rest of the list.

I'm still not quite sure what the line is between an actual admit over the priority waitlist, especially when there are open admission spots. But, at this point I'm not really thinking too hard about it.

In other news, has anyone on a waitlist sent an update/interest/intent letter? Does just enrolling in a class warrant a letter? Can I follow this up with an even dumber question?

Doesn't seem like they have offered too many acceptance recently.

But also yeah, it seems like all the acceptances (at least with the SDN sample) came with the early interviewers, then they got cautious. Maybe some people with recent acceptances need to speak up? Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually submitted an update letter I was very suprised to get an immediate response from them, in terms that they saw my email. But no word on my status.

Based on what they're saying, they want to make it equally as likely to get an acceptance during the last interview day as it was in the first. So I'm sure right now there are open spots right now..although obviously I don't know this for sure. This is why I think we won't hear until March to get off the waitlist, priority or otherwise. Wait until everyone interviews then fill the spots with the rest of the list.

I'm still not quite sure what the line is between an actual admit over the priority waitlist, especially when there are open admission spots. But, at this point I'm not really thinking too hard about it.

In other news, has anyone on a waitlist sent an update/interest/intent letter? Does just enrolling in a class warrant a letter? Can I follow this up with an even dumber question?

I was also high priority wait listed earlier this application cycle.

I was hoping to get some advice as far as getting a computer for medical school. My current 4 year old laptop is about to go the way of old yeller. It is a Dell and I have had some problems with it and want to make the switch to a Mac. I know very little about computers and was wondering what the pro's and con's would be for getting a MacBook v. MacAir? I like that the air is so light weight, but is it powerful enough to run the software for school? Any advice would be welcomed.

I was hoping to get some advice as far as getting a computer for medical school. My current 4 year old laptop is about to go the way of old yeller. It is a Dell and I have had some problems with it and want to make the switch to a Mac. I know very little about computers and was wondering what the pro's and con's would be for getting a MacBook v. MacAir? I like that the air is so light weight, but is it powerful enough to run the software for school? Any advice would be welcomed.
Before I answer your question I would like to convey the following points:-

1. You can google for comparisons / reviews between macbook / air
2. Your question assumes that there are "medical students" reading this Cooper thread. I am sure you are aware that Cooper is currently recruiting its inaugural class. Probability of getting a response from a medical student to your question on this thread is hence very low.

Now to answering your question (btw..i am not a medical student........yet):-

1. I personally do not use mac because they are expensive (their performance is top class; bug free hence they probably last longer than a PC. Hence if I buy one I wont have the opportunity to upgrade in 2-3 years as technology advances).

b. I do not believe medical school requires you to run any "intense" softwares that either macbook or Air will have trouble running. They both have fast processors. However with the Air be prepared to invest in peripherals - external HD; CD / DVD etc. etc. Here is a link that compares them.
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

I hope my post does not turn into a PC v/s Mac fight on the forum !!

did you get off of the high priority waitlist?

did you get off of the high priority waitlist?

No I'm still on the wait list. Just wanted to get some computer advice. When I interviewed our tour guide mentioned that everybody would likely need a laptop or iPad in addition to a smart phone. I just wanted to get other potential students thoughts about computers.

This is such an excruciating wait!! I keep telling this to people and they say "but the unknown is so exciting!" It's not exciting when one potential outcome of the unknown is not being accepted anywhere...
To the person moderating the facebook group for accepted students- has anyone else joined lately?

very impressed by the vibe of this university. The interview went well (at least I thought so), the plans to teach, the active study rooms, and everything just seems very exciting to me. The people were very nice, and really seem like they want to establish something great there. I'd say it is definitely up there as the most impressive interview I've had so far this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the crime is that much of an issue, if you are smart about it.

I did my clinical years at Cooper with about 50 other folks from RWJ. None of us lived in Camden. About half of us lived in Philly and the other half in South Jersey. Basically you drive into Camden, park, drive out. I never had an issue with anyone breaking into my car, but I was smart about it (didn't leave things lying around for people to steal). If I was leaving late at night, I would get security to walk me to my car but the immediate area around the hospital wasn't horrible.

I find it kind of hard to believe that someone's car was broken into in the garage as there are video cameras and security around pretty regularly. When I attended there, the students had to park out in a street lot about a block from the hospital and I still never had any problems. Granted I didn't (and still dont) drive a fancy car, so I doubt they would want my crappy Nissan Versa.

The one concern I had for going to this school was how quickly they want the first class to jump into working in the free clinic. I understand the mission of the school, but only having 3 weeks to get used to medical school before also taking on that challenge seemed like a bit much. I'm all for early experience with patients, but besides administrative work or shadowing, there's not a whole lot most first years can do. Also, I hope that the people they choose, at least some of them, have some experience working in clinics. Although it's stuff that can be learned, it takes time to feel comfortable with the flow and working inside that setting. My solution would be to wait until the second semester at least, but hey, what do I know?

I currently work at a free clinic in San Francisco that boasts an all volunteer staff which comprises San Francisco State undergrads, UCSF med students (mostly MS1s), med student coordinators (MS2-3s) and physicians. Most every first year I've spoken to has expressed how privileged/honored they've felt to interact with our patients, how much they learn and how much of it they remember (for many it was their first patient ever!). All of our MS1s are overseen - if its their first time, a med student coordinator will accompany the MS1 for history/intake/chief complaint. Eventually, everything is presented to our preceptor (physician) who discusses the case with the MS1, and the preceptor then sees the patient. I can't imagine a better way to begin to integrate med students to clinical experiences than a small, basic, primary care community clinic. I can speak more about it if anyone is curious, but I'm a big fan of how my clinic functions and I'm stoked about participating in Cooper's.

Interviewed here on Friday and what can I say??? I really loved this school. By far the most friendly, funny and relaxed interview I have been on professionally and academically.

Now it is time to watch and wait.

From another forum:
"Feb 1st is when the schools can see everywhere else their acceptees have been accepted. Does this shake things up a little?"

Not sure how reliable this is, but if it is true, hopefully us priority waitlisters will find out our status soon?

From another forum:
"Feb 1st is when the schools can see everywhere else their acceptees have been accepted. Does this shake things up a little?"

Not sure how reliable this is, but if it is true, hopefully us priority waitlisters will find out our status soon?
This only applies to schools that have already accepted you. Schools can see where else their accepted students have been accepted to.

This only applies to schools that have already accepted you. Schools can see where else their accepted students have been accepted to.

Yep. So hopefully there will be more movement now that Cooper know where some of their accepted students will potentially be matriculating.

Has anyone who interviewed here in December / January received an acceptance ?

I mostly see (priority) waitlists here...

I don't really see why that would indicate movement. If someone is already accepted to Cooper, and Cooper now sees that that person is accepted also at Harvard, the applicant themselves would need to decide between Cooper and Harvard. Cooper would have nothing to do with that decision (like, kick them out which is what it seems like you're saying). Also, if they can't go beyond their 50 admissions spot cap, then they can't do it until those people decide for themselves that they're matriculating elsewhere.

It would be really weird if Cooper didn't see any waitlist movement at all. But I'm sticking to my story that I don't think it'll happen until after the entire interview cycle.

For my third and final comment, I'd like to say that it does seem pretty busy in the priority waitlist room.

Yep. So hopefully there will be more movement now that Cooper know where some of their accepted students will potentially be matriculating.

Last edited:
Reg waitlisted too. Does cooper reject folks?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they reject post interview, but there haven't been many acceptances on sdn recently. Maybe they gave too many spots early on and are waiting until end of the cycle or no sdn users were accepted.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they reject post interview, but there haven't been many acceptances on sdn recently. Maybe they gave too many spots early on and are waiting until end of the cycle or no sdn users were accepted.

Well we cannot assume that everyone who applied to cooper actively posts on SDN. I am sure we are probably only seeing a portion of the applicant pool on here. So it is hard to say they aren't giving out acceptances because we don't know if we are seeing everyone on here.

I am bummed out about the reg waitlist. I would have felt more hopeful on the HP waitlist. But I suppose you are right. Time to watch and wait. If there is anything I have learned from applying to medical school, it is how to be patient!

Well we cannot assume that everyone who applied to cooper actively posts on SDN. I am sure we are probably only seeing a portion of the applicant pool on here. So it is hard to say they aren't giving out acceptances because we don't know if we are seeing everyone on here.

I am bummed out about the reg waitlist. I would have felt more hopeful on the HP waitlist. But I suppose you are right. Time to watch and wait. If there is anything I have learned from applying to medical school, it is how to be patient!

I got accepted today at Cooper. So excited, less than 1 week after I interviewed. As I mentioned in the post above, the goals the school has set for itself is exemplary.

As for those still waiting, keep trying, be patient. On the same day I got this acceptance, I got rejected at SUNY Upstate. I thought as an in-stater, It would be a lock to get into Upstate, but it was not meant to be.

Congrats! Finally we get an acceptance reported by the SDN crowd.

Now to keep working on my update letter....

I got accepted today at Cooper. So excited, less than 1 week after I interviewed. As I mentioned in the post above, the goals the school has set for itself is exemplary.

As for those still waiting, keep trying, be patient. On the same day I got this acceptance, I got rejected at SUNY Upstate. I thought as an in-stater, It would be a lock to get into Upstate, but it was not meant to be.

It's no problem. An update letter is just how it sounds -- an update on what you've been doing since you interviewed. I plan to send one out to another school pre-interview as well. I'm doing some more leadership stuff at the clinic where I volunteer, plus I'm taking a class, so I'm using that as an excuse to say hi to schools I'm interested in, basically.

I know I sound inevitably ignorant, but what is an "update letter?"

Still waiting for my interview on 9 March. From all I've read on the forum, I'm really looking forward to it. Sorry if my late interview is holding up your acceptances!

Congrats on the interview! Yeah if it wasn't for you I'd totally be admitted to Cooper with a full scholarship. Jerk.

I was under the impression (not sure where this came from) that interviews ended in February. Is the March 9th interview the last date?

Still waiting for my interview on 9 March. From all I've read on the forum, I'm really looking forward to it. Sorry if my late interview is holding up your acceptances!

Congrats. Good to see someone get in.

Congrats on the interview! Yeah if it wasn't for you I'd totally be admitted to Cooper with a full scholarship. Jerk.

I was under the impression (not sure where this came from) that interviews ended in February. Is the March 9th interview the last date?

March dates were there back in November when I scheduled my interview.

That's cool. Do you happen to remember what the last interview date is? Not sure why this matters to me, I'd just like to know.

March dates were there back in November when I scheduled my interview.

I think there may be one more date after the 9 Mar date, but not certain

I think there may be one more date after the 9 Mar date, but not certain

Yeah thats crazy. There website said they were interviewing until Feb. Maybe they got way more applicants that they were interested than they anticipated.

I'm not sure. I got my interview invite back in early November, and that was the first one available.

The reason it has been so quiet may be because the majority of the people on this forum have received a wait listed status

Still waiting for my interview!

ACCEPTED off the priority waitlist with a call from Dr. Dayton!!!!!!!! So thrilled beyond belief you have no idea! :D

Congrats!! I know you've been really anticipating this. Great to see some waitlist movement this soon in the year.. gives hope to the rest of us.

Did you get an email first?

ACCEPTED off the priority waitlist with a call from Dr. Dayton!!!!!!!! So thrilled beyond belief you have no idea! :D

Got the call from Dr. Dayton today! Interviewed 12/2, high priority waitlist sometime early January. I will probably withdraw from Cooper, but regretfully. It is clear that this school is going to be incredible.

Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!!! I know how bad uve been waiting for this!!!!! So happy for you........
hopefully ill be joining you :D

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!

Got the call from Dr. Dayton today! Interviewed 12/2, high priority waitlist sometime early January. I will probably withdraw from Cooper, but regretfully. It is clear that this school is going to be incredible.

Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to you!

I didn't realize how large my font was... sorry about that. I'm pretty excited though. :) Those who are waiting on the priority list, don't lose faith or patience! It'll happen soon. It's excruciating though I know.

Congrats!! I know you've been really anticipating this. Great to see some waitlist movement this soon in the year.. gives hope to the rest of us.

Did you get an email first?

No email first... I am actually hoping I get some sort of email or letter in the mail confirming what Dr. Dayton said? Because I honestly didn't hear what she said on the phone... I heard the words accepted at some point and something about "we'd like to offer your a position"... I think she asked if I accept and I think I said yes, it was all a mumbled mess.

Good work you guys. Please join the Facebook group when you get a chance, they will send a link.

Sounds like you are definitely coming here HouseVG. True story?

Status
Not open for further replies.