2011-2012 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been on hold since September. I was for sure I was getting into Quillen. I have a 31 MCAT and I had visited the school to show how interested I was. I was in the first batch of interviews and I thought I nailed them. I check SDN everyday. Now it's June and still no word. If I don't hear anything by Friday then I'm calling it quits. Thank God (literally) that I got into UT Memphis. ETSU has always been my first choice. There is my sob story. It isn't so bad because I got into school but I probably won't be in the beautiful Johnson City.

And let's get this thread to another page so I don't have to scroll down so far to see if there has been a new post. 🙂
 
I've been on hold since September. I was for sure I was getting into Quillen. I have a 31 MCAT and I had visited the school to show how interested I was. I was in the first batch of interviews and I thought I nailed them. I check SDN everyday. Now it's June and still no word. If I don't hear anything by Friday then I'm calling it quits. Thank God (literally) that I got into UT Memphis. ETSU has always been my first choice. There is my sob story. It isn't so bad because I got into school but I probably won't be in the beautiful Johnson City.

And let's get this thread to another page so I don't have to scroll down so far to see if there has been a new post. 🙂

Congrats on (1) being accepted to UTHSC and (2) starting page 9! We've officially surpassed the length of all prior threads! Word!

And without sounding insensitive considering JQCOM is your top choice, thank you so much for relinquishing your hold spot if you don't hear anything by next Friday. That's really considerate. I'm sure you'll love UTHSC. I mean, just think about all the clinical experience and autonomy you'll get at The Med. 🙂
 
I feel like they should let people know their position on the wait list. It is ridiculous that they don't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been on hold since September. I was for sure I was getting into Quillen. I have a 31 MCAT and I had visited the school to show how interested I was. I was in the first batch of interviews and I thought I nailed them. I check SDN everyday. Now it's June and still no word. If I don't hear anything by Friday then I'm calling it quits. Thank God (literally) that I got into UT Memphis. ETSU has always been my first choice. There is my sob story. It isn't so bad because I got into school but I probably won't be in the beautiful Johnson City.

And let's get this thread to another page so I don't have to scroll down so far to see if there has been a new post. 🙂

Still nothing?

All is quiet on my end. I've been focusing on MCAT studying during the week and reapplications on the weekend. I'm fairly certain I'm at the bottom of the list and won't be receiving a call. At this point, even though I'd be ecstatic and would accept if it happened, the stress of finding a place to live, moving, and paying for everything would literally tear me apart.
 
At some point in the next few weeks, I think I might and just ask them to be completely honest with me. Do I really have a chance to get in, because if not then I need to mentally prepare myself to reapply?
They probably won't tell me anything, but this is getting to be a little much, ya think?
 
At some point in the next few weeks, I think I might and just ask them to be completely honest with me. Do I really have a chance to get in, because if not then I need to mentally prepare myself to reapply?
They probably won't tell me anything, but this is getting to be a little much, ya think?

I think you're right: They probably won't tell you anything. :-( And yes, it is getting to be a little much. :bang:
 
They won't tell you anything beaver. I'm so over this ****.. they are toying with our lives here...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I know it sucks, Swoop. But they're not intentionally torturing us. It's just the nature of this medieval system: We're squires on our way to becoming knights, navigating the pre-med, med, and post-graduate challenges to becoming the knight in shining armor, the attending. Okay, that was way cornier than it sounded in my head. Anyway, sure, the confidentiality of the waitlist blows; but I'm sure they had their reasons at the time they instituted that policy. Lord knows I've done my pissing and moaning. We just have to remember not to let all this animosity become an issue of transference and allow it to ruin our perception of an awesome school. Hang in there. We're not alone.
 
Last edited:
Are they going to let us know in a few weeks if we don't have a chance to get in... With all these people still on the hold list, hopefully they will not just silently reject us and let us think all the way up to July 22 that we still have a shot. I hope they have more decency than that.
 
That's my thing beaver. I will be so mad if they hold us all that way, with us clinging on to some slight hope. Obviously the majority of the wait list will not even sniff at an acceptance, and it's not fair to do that to people

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I would think that if there really are about 80 people still on the hold list then they should tell at least the bottom half that it was great knowing us.
 
Ya bottom half doesn't have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting in. They should let people know

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think if I don't hear anything by July then I am going to call it quits for this year and focus completely on next year.
 
I think if I don't hear anything by July then I am going to call it quits for this year and focus completely on next year.

I'm already there, but waiting until about July 1 or so to submit TMDSAS and around July 23rd to submit AMCAS and AACOMAS. I'm trying my best to remain economical considering this second cycle will literally require me to max out credit cards. *sigh*
 
Pretty sure this is like the 7th time I've said this, but I sure hope we hear something this week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I'm curious as to why they haven't updated their "entering statistics" page since April 25th. They were updating it monthly until that date.
 
Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I have news. I got an email from Dean Taylor on Tuesday saying that there was not a seat open currently but there was going to be some movement in the class soon. He was asking if I was still interested even though I had a spot at UT Memphis. I emailed back that Quillen was my #1 and I would drop my seat at Memphis if I got the offer from ETSU. He emailed me back and thanked me for my response and said he hoped to hear from my soon. WELL it's Monday and I get a call from him and I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! I didn't want to jinx getting accepted by telling everybody about the email. I wish everybody still on the wait list the best and i hope we are classmates very soon!
 
Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I have news. I got an email from Dean Taylor on Tuesday saying that there was not a seat open currently but there was going to be some movement in the class soon. He was asking if I was still interested even though I had a spot at UT Memphis. I emailed back that Quillen was my #1 and I would drop my seat at Memphis if I got the offer from ETSU. He emailed me back and thanked me for my response and said he hoped to hear from my soon. WELL it's Monday and I get a call from him and I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! I didn't want to jinx getting accepted by telling everybody about the email. I wish everybody still on the wait list the best and i hope we are classmates very soon!

Congrats! I guess it's a good thing you didn't withdraw last Friday! *phwew!*
 
Once I got the email I decided to hold on for a while. I don't think my wife would let me withdraw my spot because as long as you are on the list there is a chance.
 
Man, as I sit here studying for the mcat *again,* I am dying for that phone call. Everytime my phone vibrates I hope it's a call from a 423 area code. I just want to know everything will be alright and my life is moving on, matriculating at a school that kicks glutes. :-/ Meh. Back to work. Congrats again.
 
Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I have news. I got an email from Dean Taylor on Tuesday saying that there was not a seat open currently but there was going to be some movement in the class soon. He was asking if I was still interested even though I had a spot at UT Memphis. I emailed back that Quillen was my #1 and I would drop my seat at Memphis if I got the offer from ETSU. He emailed me back and thanked me for my response and said he hoped to hear from my soon. WELL it's Monday and I get a call from him and I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! I didn't want to jinx getting accepted by telling everybody about the email. I wish everybody still on the wait list the best and i hope we are classmates very soon!

Wow thats awesome. Congratulations! What made you want to go to ETSU over UT?
 
Wow thats awesome. Congratulations! What made you want to go to ETSU over UT?

I just felt more at home in Johnson city. I'm used to a small class size and I want to be internal medicine. The cost is also a big factor. It's much cheaper to live in east TN than Memphis. Plus the wife really likes it up here and we have family in Knoxville so it's not too far. It seems like a perfect fit for me.
 
I just felt more at home in Johnson city. I'm used to a small class size and I want to be internal medicine. The cost is also a big factor. It's much cheaper to live in east TN than Memphis. Plus the wife really likes it up here and we have family in Knoxville so it's not too far. It seems like a perfect fit for me.

Understandable. I think it would be a tough decision between the two schools for me personally, considering the differences in what each school has to offer. However, I'll be lucky if I have to choose between the two lol.
 
Just wanted to post that a guy I work with at the hospital told me he got into Quillen last Thursday or Friday. He had been holding onto a Memphis acceptance because he wanted into Quillen. He told me he dropped his UTHSC acceptance and took the spot in Quillen.

All this to say that there appears to be some waitlist movement (as others have mentioned recently). Definitely keep working on studying/re-applying/etc., but don't give up all hope just yet.

To those of you already and soon-to-be accepted, I can't wait to meet you. 1 month and 2 days from today! Getting excited.
 
Just wanted to post that a guy I work with at the hospital told me he got into Quillen last Thursday or Friday. He had been holding onto a Memphis acceptance because he wanted into Quillen. He told me he dropped his UTHSC acceptance and took the spot in Quillen.

All this to say that there appears to be some waitlist movement (as others have mentioned recently). Definitely keep working on studying/re-applying/etc., but don't give up all hope just yet.

To those of you already and soon-to-be accepted, I can't wait to meet you. 1 month and 2 days from today! Getting excited.

Same to you Mr. (ahem...or Mrs....) Kennedy 😉

Looking forward to officially meeting u! I was hoping to get a scholarship, but no such luck. I hear you did pretty good in that department, huh?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, the fact that you know that means we must already be friends on Facebook. 😀

Yeah, I was really fortunate to get a scholarship. With us having a baby in August (perfect timing, right?), I will need all the financial help I can get! Looking forward to meeting you. Are you doing the BLS course they are putting on? Or are you getting it taken care of on your own?

And it's Mr. Eli Kennedy. :laugh:
 
Haha, the fact that you know that means we must already be friends on Facebook. 😀

Yeah, I was really fortunate to get a scholarship. With us having a baby in August (perfect timing, right?), I will need all the financial help I can get! Looking forward to meeting you. Are you doing the BLS course they are putting on? Or are you getting it taken care of on your own?

And it's Mr. Eli Kennedy. :laugh:

Hey Eli, what scholarship were you able to get, if you don't mind me asking?
 
Haha, the fact that you know that means we must already be friends on Facebook. 😀

Yeah, I was really fortunate to get a scholarship. With us having a baby in August (perfect timing, right?), I will need all the financial help I can get! Looking forward to meeting you. Are you doing the BLS course they are putting on? Or are you getting it taken care of on your own?

And it's Mr. Eli Kennedy. :laugh:

Hey guys (or girls)! Not to jump on your conversation but I emailed Sue and signed up for the BLS class. I hope to meet a lot of you before orientation week starts in a month!!!😳
 
For what it's worth, Quillen does offer a $4,000/year scholarship called the "Quillen" scholarship. I was offered it because I am from one of counties in the district that Congresman James H. Quillen was in charge of.

For more info on potential scholarship choices:

http://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/finaid/scholarships/scholarshipapplication.aspx

Good luck in your application cycle!

Oh this is good news! Thanks for the link! 👍


EDIT: For those of you accepted to Quillen who are from East TN, how much of a factor do you feel this played into your acceptance?
 
I graduated from UTK in 2006 and then worked for a few years to support my wife through vet school at UT. She got a job in Chattanooga after graduation so we moved there and I took some post-bacc coursework at UTC just to freshen up (400 level biology and chemistry classes) and prep for the MCAT.

So I have an East Tennessee background. Obviously I wasn't in the adcom meetings but I was accepted off the first committee meeting after my interview in November, and I felt I had two pretty strong interviews. That doesn't mean anything other than to say that I think I was a well rounded and qualified applicant and I got in on my own strengths, not my geography.

To be honest, the big thing that stuck out to me was how all of the students I talked to, the M1s, M2s, and M4s all talked about how well their class was put together. A lot of people that had personalities that fit together. That doesn't mean they are all best friends, but I just got such a vibe from everyone-- from the admissions people to the first year students-- that selecting a class that fit together was important to them. I don't know many people in our entering class, but I know 3 or 4 from Chattanooga and I have gotten to see a few more folks on Facebook and I can say I think we have some pretty cool people. I haven't met anyone yet who I think, "Wow. Jerk." Time will tell, but I think it will be good.

I don't know if that answers your question, but I think I hit around it. It's definitely a complex process. More than the grades or the MCAT or your interviews. It seems very much about getting a good group of 70 or so people together. And that's not to say everyone who didn't get in isn't qualified. I know 2 people at UTC who I think would be great fits, but they just couldn't get off the waitlist and took other offers.
 
Last edited:
Haha, the fact that you know that means we must already be friends on Facebook. 😀

Yeah, I was really fortunate to get a scholarship. With us having a baby in August (perfect timing, right?), I will need all the financial help I can get! Looking forward to meeting you. Are you doing the BLS course they are putting on? Or are you getting it taken care of on your own?

And it's Mr. Eli Kennedy. :laugh:

😛I am indeed friends with you on FB. Congrats on the baby! I am getting married during our fall break (Oct. 13). My fiancée isn't happy that we won't get a honeymoon until next summer, but I keep telling he now she has TWO events to look forward to (rather than just one long, stressful one). She isn't buying it....:laugh:

I am taking a BLS course offered by one of my buddy's aunts.

Hey guys (or girls)! Not to jump on your conversation but I emailed Sue and signed up for the BLS class. I hope to meet a lot of you before orientation week starts in a month!!!😳

Same to you! Are you already in JC?

Oh this is good news! Thanks for the link! 👍


EDIT: For those of you accepted to Quillen who are from East TN, how much of a factor do you feel this played into your acceptance?

I feel it was important. There's a need for good doctors in this area (well, every area), but Quillen is invested here. It seems more genuine to say "I've always lived here, my family is here, I went to undergrad here/worked here and I plan on staying here. This is home." Rather than flying in from Maryland or Michigan for the interview saying "I've always loved the mountains and visiting Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Oh, this area? Sure. I'd practice here, I guess."

Of course, I know there are several applicants that aren't from the area that will/would be a great asset to the 2016 class, East TN area AND have every intention of doing so. There are also applicants from the area who don't have intentions of sticking around but still get accepted, and that's fine, too. But back to the original question: I do feel being from this area was instrumentall to my being accepted.
------------------------------
On another note: who from c/o 2016 is in JC already? I'm starting to get excited/nervous! Looking for a friend to have a beer and chill with!
 
I graduated from UTK in 2006 and then worked for a few years to support my wife through vet school at UT. She got a job in Chattanooga after graduation so we moved there and I took some post-bacc coursework at UTC just to freshen up (400 level biology and chemistry classes) and prep for the MCAT.

So I have an East Tennessee background. Obviously I wasn't in the adcom meetings but I was accepted off the first committee meeting after my interview in November, and I felt I had two pretty strong interviews. That doesn't mean anything other than to say that I think I was a well rounded and qualified applicant and I got in on my own strengths, not my geography.

To be honest, the big thing that stuck out to me was how all of the students I talked to, the M1s, M2s, and M4s all talked about how well their class was put together. A lot of people that had personalities that fit together. That doesn't mean they are all best friends, but I just got such a vibe from everyone-- from the admissions people to the first year students-- that selecting a class that fit together was important to them. I don't know many people in our entering class, but I know 3 or 4 from Chattanooga and I have gotten to see a few more folks on Facebook and I can say I think we have some pretty cool people. I haven't met anyone yet who I think, "Wow. Jerk." Time will tell, but I think it will be good.

I don't know if that answers your question, but I think I hit around it. It's definitely a complex process. More than the grades or the MCAT or your interviews. It seems very much about getting a good group of 70 or so people together. And that's not to say everyone who didn't get in isn't qualified. I know 2 people at UTC who I think would be great fits, but they just couldn't get off the waitlist and took other offers.

I completely agree! I may have overstated the significance of geography a bit. Do I think it is considered? Definitely. Do I think it's more important than MCAT, PS, ECs or GPA? Never. It does seem that Quillen has a method for picking a diverse group of students that fit together and does it well! I've met some upperclassmen and fellow classmates already and although they are very different, I could see myself happily working/learning alongside all of them.
 
Ducky,

I have a place in JC (we are renting a house in the tree streets-- Pine St to be specific). I have to be out of my apt July 10 so I will be moving up sometime before then, but I have been up every weekend painting and such.

In fact, I am tentatively planning on coming up tomorrow and staying Friday and Saturday night. Mayhaps we could grab a beer?
 
Cool deal. I live about 2 minutes from there in a condo on a street called Heritage Pl. I work in JC tomorrow till 6:30 and Saturday till 6:30.

I just graduated from UT in May, born and raised in Knoxville! I have been up to JC a couple times since graduation and get more excited each visit!

I will be living in a place called "The Dominion." A little older 2Br townhouse, but only a mile from the VA campus. I am moving up there July 9th or 10th. Would love to grab a drink (or two😀) and have a chance to meet a fellow classmate!
 
Last edited:
I just graduated from UT in May, born and raised in Knoxville! I have been up to JC a couple times since graduation and get more excited each visit!

I will be living in a place called "The Dominion." A little older 2Br townhouse, but only a mile from the VA campus. I am moving up there July 9th or 10th. Would love to grab a drink (or two😀) and have a chance to meet a fellow classmate!

A fellow UTK graduate here! I too graduated in May with a degree in Microbiology. I wonder if we ever met in our science classes. Either way, I was accepted to Quillen back in October, and would love to meet up for a beer with my future classmates 🙂 I have already moved to JC.
 
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all of you that've been accepted! I was wondering if any of you would like to help me out by making a little pact. I know that students have been accepted during the week before orientation all the way up to a couple of days before orientation. I would take that offer in a heartbeat, but would have nowhere to stay: If I'm lucky enough to get that call, would any of you mind if I crashed on your couch or in a guestroom while I looked for a place and attended orientation? I figure it's better to look ahead with hope and to have a plan in place, right? It's all about projecting that positive energy. 🙂

Also, does anyone have any idea how many are still left on the waitlist? They haven't updated their site in 2 months now.
 
I might email them and ask when they will start letting people who are on the wrong end of the hold list know that it's unlikely that they will be accepted, like UT does. I don't want to get my hopes up that I'm one of those special ones that gets called the day before orientation.
 
Good luck, Beaver; I hope they tell you something. But from everything I've read, they don't seem to release any of that information. It looks like we're in the dark until you're officially accepted or rejected. But as always, please feel free to share anything they might say. It's so difficult and stressful to maintain hope.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beaver, it appears they're saying something vague to people near the top. Go ahead with the email. I will later tonight.

EDIT: I just sent an email. I hope they send me something back. I'm such a wreck. It's going to cost me thousands to reapply. I'd much rather use the money I've saved to put a downpayment on a place in JC. *praying*
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.