2011-2012 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Deutsch, you haven't gotten any response on your email? If it was Strother, the response might have been almost instantaneous haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT on 8/23 last year, submitted my AMCAS on 8/9, received my MCAT scores on 9/27, and landed an interview invite in November for an interview day in January at ETSU. (This means that schools didn't consider me complete until 9/27. I submitted early so that my AMCAS would be verified by the time my scores arrived.) So I'd say go for it. You'll be at a slight disadvantage but well within your chances. I'd rather give it shot than wait an entire year, personally.

This is my thinking. I am taking the MCAT August 4 and will be submitting my primary to UTHSC and Quillen well before then. I understand that I may not get in this cycle, but I would at least like to try.
 
So the number of in-state offers made as of today is still 85 :/

I guess you called again? (They didn't update the site yet.)

*sigh* Well, that can go either way...that could mean they still just haven't heard from the teeming students about to yield their seats. Or it could mean there will be no such teeming. Bargellation! Bah! Blegh! Ba-gock! (Yes, that was my sad attempt at some onomatopoeia of disgust.)
 
With each passing day I lose a little piece of my soul lol... this is so draining

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Hang in there, Swoop. I can't remember if you're near Nashville; but if you are and you need an open ear with open arms and a beer, I'm right here. That goes for all of you out there. Just PM me. :hello:

P.S. All friend offers are totally straight and platonic. LoL
 
I called and at this point most people will be notified by phone call first and then by email. And there are about 80 people remaining on the hold list. I should've asked roughly how many people on the hold list are holding multiple acceptances. Someone wanna volunteer? 😉
 
They won't disclose that info. I wish that people would hurry up and tell them they are going elsewhere

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Well in threads from previous years, they used to send out an email to people on the hold list with that kind of info in it. Don't know why they don't do that anymore - it'd be a nice gesture.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer, but how many people don't get in off the hold list? I mean, it shrinks internally as people in the middle withdraw to go to other schools and shrinks from the front as people hopefully like tharms get in.
 
I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer, but how many people don't get in off the hold list? I mean, it shrinks internally as people in the middle withdraw to go to other schools and shrinks from the front as people hopefully like tharms get in.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has that answer. The closest I've seen to an answer was in an old thread where someone said that there were 19 people left on the hold list at the beginning of July (?two years ago). Only one to three people were accepted after that. So that should give you a rough idea. Although, things are going heart achingly slow this year and seem as though they may turn out quite different from past years. :-\
 
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. I believe that each and every one of you will go on to do great things for our profession.
 
I'm gonna go crazy if I don't hear something this week. This process has been way too damn long.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Dude, it's possible we could be in the dark all the way up to orientation, and if we're lucky, receive an offer the day before orientation. That, my friend, is my worst nightmare...aside from rejection, of course.
 
Dude, it's possible we could be in the dark all the way up to orientation, and if we're lucky, receive an offer the day before orientation. That, my friend, is my worst nightmare...aside from rejection, of course.

Why would they do this to you??? There would be no time to find living or for the actual moving process. You wouldn't be able to give current employers any notice either. I understand its med school, and I definitely would not say no if that happened, but you'd think they wouldn't do that.
 
Why would they do this to you??? There would be no time to find living or for the actual moving process. You wouldn't be able to give current employers any notice either. I understand its med school, and I definitely would not say no if that happened, but you'd think they wouldn't do that.

That very same thing happened to my PI at NJMDS (Jersey). And I know they accepted a couple of people something like three days before orientation started at ETSU. It's rare and very much a "worst case scenario." But it does happen, especially since ETSU’s classes start before many other schools. A couple of students will inevitably get offers the day before orientation. Whether or not they accept is another issue.

My employer already knows that I may need to leave at the drop of a hat. Thankfully we're finally in a position with staffing and additional funding that it won't devastate my team. But the logistics will suck nonetheless. To top things off, I'm married with a home and car. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to pay for a mortgage, car note, plus housing and food in JC if my prayers are answered. But I'd do it in a heartbeat, down to the day of orientation.
 
Withdrew today, My heart is in nebraska. Hope one of you guys get the spot!!
 
Withdrew today, My heart is in nebraska. Hope one of you guys get the spot!!

*crashes through imaginary forum window* DIBS!! LoL, just kidding.

Congrats and good luck in NE! Thanks for relinquishing so promptly, too. That really helps us all. Good luck to the rest of the hold list. I'm sure it'll go to someone awesome. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...has anyone called and asked for a total of acceptances offered yet? I can't bring myself to call. I'd totally end up choking and turning into "the heavy breather" or "the stutterer." LoL
 
This is getting ridiculous. It is freaking June 6th

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I finally called and asked how many were still on hold: "I'm sorry, but I can't release that information." Wow, I feel like a *****. Now I wish I just kept on sitting aside. Grrr.

Yo, adaddymd, how did you find that information!?
 
Last edited:
They said the same thing to me. I think the only thing they can tell you is how many offers they have made so far.
 
Hey everyone,

MS2 here. I've been lurking a little bit and would just like to offer a few comments:

I can confirm that wait-list admissions do occur almost right up to orientation. I have colleagues who received their call near that time. It *can* happen, although there is no guarantee that it will.

I know how hard it is going into these summer months. Open questions, no answers. All I can say is that if you believe in your dreams and you persevere, one day you'll get it. Again, I have colleagues who are open about getting in on their second try, and they are just as outstanding as anyone who made it in on their first try--I would never trade them for anyone else. I wish I could give you folks who are waiting more hope, but I can't: unfortunately it is what it is.

What I do want to convey is that if you are lucky enough to make it in, you will find yourself part of a wonderful and unique community, one that is full of incredibly conscientious and caring people who want to help you no matter what. I am lucky enough to have the best colleagues in the world, and I really believe that the final selection for my class was magic; I hope it works out well for you, too.
 
Hey everyone,

MS2 here. I've been lurking a little bit and would just like to offer a few comments:

I can confirm that wait-list admissions do occur almost right up to orientation. I have colleagues who received their call near that time. It *can* happen, although there is no guarantee that it will.

I know how hard it is going into these summer months. Open questions, no answers. All I can say is that if you believe in your dreams and you persevere, one day you'll get it. Again, I have colleagues who are open about getting in on their second try, and they are just as outstanding as anyone who made it in on their first try--I would never trade them for anyone else. I wish I could give you folks who are waiting more hope, but I can't: unfortunately it is what it is.

What I do want to convey is that if you are lucky enough to make it in, you will find yourself part of a wonderful and unique community, one that is full of incredibly conscientious and caring people who want to help you no matter what. I am lucky enough to have the best colleagues in the world, and I really believe that the final selection for my class was magic; I hope it works out well for you, too.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. We really need them right about now and for the next two months. =\
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone remember or have a screen shot of the number of applicants on the hold list at the end of February 2012? I'm trying to do some detective work...
 
I think it was a little over 100. What you trying to figure out?

I committed a FAIL: I was hoping the hold list was small around that timeframe, something like 46 or so. I reasoned that if it was that small, when I originally landed on it, that I'd have a fairly good position. *sigh*

I give up. There's no use in doing anything but waiting and working on my reapplications until July 23rd now. Speaking of which, the Texas system (TMDSAS) is brutally long. It's driving me insane. I hate that I'm working on three application systems and studying for the MCAT on top of all of my other responsibilities when I was hoping to be looking for housing at this point. It's so stressful. I just hope down to my core that it's all for nothing, that I get in--as I'm sure all of you without acceptances are hoping, too. Hang in there.
 
Well if that logic was true then those of us put on the hold list in September and October when the list was first conceived would have already gotten in, but that obviously is not true either. You too, hang in there.
 
Well if that logic was true then those of us put on the hold list in September and October when the list was first conceived would have already gotten in, but that obviously is not true either. You too, hang in there.

Yeah, that's what I meant by committing a FAIL. :-( I was too eager to make a connection and came up with that spuriousness.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.