2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOR received 10/18 and still waiting. Enjoying life in the mean time though. Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has been posting. This is a really helpful forum

Members don't see this ad.

LOR received 10/18 and still waiting. Enjoying life in the mean time though. Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has been posting. This is a really helpful forum

i'm in the same boat man! good luck to ya

Hi MPLS medical,

I'm in a similar boat to you. Applied in mid-October and am waiting to see what happens next! So far all Mayo has done is ask me for money. ;)

Hey Weatherwax!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't have a verified application early on in the cycle. Let me know when you hear anything -- so far I haven't heard a peep out of Mayo since they sent the fee request.

Hoping for the best and wishing you lots of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Gina again, and she said next wave of interview invites should be going out within 2-7 days. If anyone gets anything, let's share on here!

Denied, no interview here. LOR received on 10/27. Balls.

3.84 and 38T, good EC's (or so I thought haha) Anyhow, Mayo sent out updates last night for those of you waiting to hear about interviews.

3.84 and 38T, good EC's (or so I thought haha) Anyhow, Mayo sent out updates last night for those of you waiting to hear about interviews.

Bummer. Still no word over here. LOR received 10/18.

Bummer. Still no word over here. LOR received 10/18.

My LOR was also received 10/18. I wonder what this means. We submitted our applications and was completed earlier, yet still have received no word.

Yikes -- sorry to hear that. :( But on the bright side, with numbers like those, you're a highly competitive applicant and should have no problem getting into the other schools you applied to!

As for me, I didn't get an email last night. Actually, I still haven't even received a LOR request. When I submitted my fee (about a week ago), I received this message "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS". However, will they send a message telling me that they are looking at my letters? Or would my next correspondence be either an interview invite or rejection? If anyone has any info on this, I'm curious.

Wishing patience and sanity to all those who are still waiting for news! ;)

Yikes -- sorry to hear that. :( But on the bright side, with numbers like those, you're a highly competitive applicant and should have no problem getting into the other schools you applied to!

As for me, I didn't get an email last night. Actually, I still haven't even received a LOR request. When I submitted my fee (about a week ago), I received this message "If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part. If we wish to access the letters, we will retrieve them directly from AMCAS". However, will they send a message telling me that they are looking at my letters? Or would my next correspondence be either an interview invite or rejection? If anyone has any info on this, I'm curious.

Wishing patience and sanity to all those who are still waiting for news! ;)

Even if you already "sent" them your letters through AMCAS, they will still send you an LOR Request email before they look at them.

For the record, I never received such a letter...and I know it wasn't lost in the spam folder - because the email account utilized simply doesn't have a spam folder.

3 months later, it's still weird.

Hey Frazier, so what is the status of your application now? Are you still waiting for an interview? Or are you accepted?

My LOR was also received 10/18. I wonder what this means. We submitted our applications and was completed earlier, yet still have received no word.

My LOR was received 10/18 also! That must have been a big LOR day for them... I still haven't heard anything either.

I will now be watching intently for killercow and immunology's posts, considering it seems like we're all in the same, leaky little boat. :D

Hey Weatherwax!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't have a verified application early on in the cycle. Let me know when you hear anything -- so far I haven't heard a peep out of Mayo since they sent the fee request.

Hoping for the best and wishing you lots of luck! :)

Hi guys! I submitted my AMCAS in mid-October, too! AMCAS got verified on Nov 3, the same day I received the fee request from MMS, and on Nov 10 the LOR request received, and today the LOR received email arrived.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I submitted my AMCAS in mid-October, too! AMCAS got verified on Nov 3, the same day I received the fee request from MMS, and on Nov 10 the LOR request received, and today the LOR received email arrived.

:)

Bli,

Awesome news! Very cool that they liked your app enough to request your letters. I'm still waiting to hear from them :( Out of curiosity, did you select Mayo to receive your letters with your primary? Or did you only send them after you received the LOR? Just wondering if they are still sending LOR request emails to applicants who had already designated that they receive letters.

I've got my fingers crossed for you to have an interview request coming your way!! :)

Last edited:
Bli,

Awesome news! Very cool that they liked your app enough to request your letters. I'm still waiting to hear from them :( Out of curiosity, did you select Mayo to receive your letters with your primary? Or did you only send them after you received the LOR? Just wondering if they are still sending LOR request emails to applicants who had already designated that they receive letters.

I've got my fingers crossed for you to have an interview request coming your way!! :)

Thank you so much! I hope I can make it to the next round!

Regarding to the LOR designation, I did select Mayo and assigned LORs for my primary. In their LOR request email, they say if you have already done so (assigning LORs), this is just a notification that they are in the process of retrieving LORs from AMCAS, no further action is required. A day later after the LOR request, I received another email indicating LORs are received and my application is in final review.

I noticed you haven't received the LOR request yet but I do not think you should take it as a bad sign. From my personal correspondences with MMS staff, it seems like they have reviewers assigned to each application. Given that, I think it is reasonable to say that it may take different reviewers different length of time to do the primary review.

Good luck to your application, too! Keep me posted!

My LOR was received on 9/28, still waiting to hear something.

big week for a lot of us! :xf:

Oh, that's nice. For once, I'm thankful for the end of semester coming up; I'd nearly forgotten about acceptances.

Still :xf: but my hopes are not elevated.

Hey guys! My LOR was received 10/18 but I haven't heard back since =( Anyone know when we'll hear back about interviews/rejections? The last interview date is 12/2 after all...

Seems like we have a large group of people who Lor completed on the 18th and have heard nothing. From calling, I think this is the week. I called last Thursday and Gina said within 7 days. In thinking well find out by this thursday

Looking back at this thread, it looks like I'm not the only one who wakes up at 4 AM, sees "unread email" on phone, gets excited about it possibly being from Mayo, only to find a message from Groupon. Perhaps tonight will be the night?
LOR Recieved 11/8

Looking back at this thread, it looks like I'm not the only one who wakes up at 4 AM, sees "unread email" on phone, gets excited about it possibly being from Mayo, only to find a message from Groupon. Perhaps tonight will be the night?
LOR Recieved 11/8
I know I wake up every morning hoping to have heard from Mayo, instead I find great local deals and my school activities for the week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us late applicants, hopefully we all get interview invites this week!

just got the rejection email last night =( good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

Good luck with the rest of your schools!

still nothing for me yet. Though my LOR were marked as received later than you.

Just got the rejection letter last night as well. LOR request 10/18. Friend of mine also 10/18 got the rejection last night as well. Best of luck to everyone! I love you all

empathy to all who were not selected. I hope you all do well at other, equally wonderful institutions. I'm still in limbo, without a response from mayo.

i was told that they have very few spots left. and some of the 10/18ers are still under executive review and should hear within the week (according to Gina). In addition, they are not doing a set cut off for when all interviews offers are done. she said that as people decline to interview or change dates etc they make more offers.

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed this month hear anything yet?

Ahh, that means calls are going out today!!! Good luck whoever gets it, and I hope you enjoy the great position you are in.

Does everyone get the ranked e-mail post-interview (accepted/wait/reject)? Or is it a euphemism for waitlist?

Yep, everyone gets the ranked email after they interview. After that, when the "Appointment Committee" meets, people are either "Hold-Status" or accepted. They'll consider hold statuses up until the end of the cycle. According to last year's thread, around March is when they construct the alternate list, at which time all "on hold" people are either rejected or placed on the waitlist.

Alas, also on hold, though managed not to get my hopes up either. ... Do I understand correctly that hold means the best we can hope for is wait list?

Anyway, for all of you I met on 10/28, I thought you were all very impressive. Congrats to any of you who had more positive news today.

... I, too, wouldn't mind the $500 back :laugh: My one complaint about Mayo is their low acceptance/interview ratio given the expense and hassle of traveling to Rochester. ... I calculated in my head while I was there about $100K in "wasted" money - mostly by people living off students loans - per interview season. ... That is the cost of travel from those rejected, I mean.

I have been wondering how many students are there to a cadaver? The video seems to show a very crowded room lol.

Last edited:
Has anybody put on hold received an acceptance thus far in this application cycle?

Haha okay... I think I saw maybe 1 person who reported that in last years thread...I guess thats 1 better than nothing! One can only hope

Well guys, I was sitting in research when I realized I have a voicemail from Rochester, MN. :eek:

I called Gina back and she offered me an acceptance!!! :D I am so unbelievably happy right now! Then to top it all off, she offered me a substantial merit scholarship. Good luck to everyone on hold and those waiting to hear back!

Status
Not open for further replies.