2011-2012 NEOMED Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for admission. This holistic approach includes, but is not limited to, one's life experiences, personal characteristics, talents, background and personal diversity. Personal diversity may entail race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, geographical origin/location and first-generation college student status. With all of this in mind, please describe what you would contribute to the university and the medical profession

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's probably too late to change, but as of August 14th NEOUCOM will be NEOMED (Northeast Ohio Medical University).

Anyone have any idea as to when the earliest interviews and acceptances for EDP went out last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having trouble with the ohio residency information page on the supplement? It keeps rearranging my citites/ dates and says that there cannot be any gaps even though there are NO gaps between the dates? Ah, so annoying. Is there a fix for this?

This secondary was too much work for the reality of competing with everyone for 20-30 seats : /. withdrew.

Anyone know how many words or characters the essay is limited to?

The College of Medicine utilizes a holistic approach in evaluating and selecting students for medical school admission. What will you contribute to the diversity of the medical school environment and to medicine itself?
Note: 3950 character limit.

Anyone received interview invites yet? I know they do them in September, but I'm curious....

This secondary was too much work for the reality of competing with everyone for 20-30 seats : /. withdrew.

lol if a secondary app is too much for you maybe medical school isn't your thing..

Seriously, has anyone been invited to interview? Completed my secondary in early july but haven't heard anything...

30S MCAT
3.3 science average
Ohio resident
Graduate of Stanford
Published 3 research articles

NEOMED hasn't typically started interviewing until October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know how many interviews NEOMED gives out for early decision applicants? How many seats are they trying to fill?

Also, does anyone know how many interviews NEOMED gives out for early decision applicants? How many seats are they trying to fill?

Just curious, what made you apply here early? I am applying regular, but I can't say I am too thrilled about the school's location. Seems like you have some great credentials, though.

There are several reasons I chose to apply early:
1) interest in becoming a primary care physician
2) 'small school' atmosphere
3) proximity to my hometown/family (Cleveland)
4) desire to work in northeast ohio
... I'm starting to get really nervous because I haven't heard anything from them since submitting my secondary application in July and figured I'd have heard about an interview by now. Do you think I'm out of luck?

I can't say I am too thrilled about the school's location

I am an M4 and agree with you about the location. What I can say is that NEOMED has a unique consortium of hospitals in Akron, Canton, and Youngstown that you will appreciate once you are an M3 and on rotation. Unfortunately, the first 2 years are entirely on campus and "going out" consists of going to Downtown Kent or Akron.

I'm starting to get really nervous because I haven't heard anything from them since submitting my secondary application in July and figured I'd have heard about an interview by now. Do you think I'm out of luck?

I can't give you specific seat numbers, but it is well known that NEOMED accepts between 30-40 direct entries on average depending on the size of the BS/MD class entering and the number accepted through early decision is a fraction of that.

Also, you are not too late, and will get a yes or no soon (with respect to interview).

Last edited:
I heard that Early Decision interviews are in Mid-September and invites will be going out shortly. They don't do Regular Decision interviews until October, not sure when those invites go out...

I hope you're right!... Thanks for looking into it for me, I owe you one.

Hey, by any chance do you know what the acceptance rate is for early decision interviewees?

What do you think the actual chances are of getting in? I was told that they were slim because of the low number of spots....and $75 is a lot right now to spend. I understand that that is the nature of secondaries ( I have done 9 others!) but I feel like I have a bit more of a chance with those. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Your chances all depend on the application you've put together of course. The 2011-12 viewbook just came out with the new averages published for the MS1 direct entry class which could give you an indication of what is typically accepted at NEOMED.

Here is a link to it

The averages are:
Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.59
MCAT: VR-9.70 PS-10.00 BS-10.19 Total=29.89

Being an ohio resident is almost required (though there are a few out of state students) and there is a big focus on community and service so any type of experience you have that falls under those categories is a plus.

$75 might seem like a lot of money now, but if you saw my sallie mae account right now it might change your perception.

In addition to the stats I posted the other day, I have a ton of community service so I think I'm good on that.... From what you're saying, my GPA (3.3) seems a bit low - do you think they will take into consideration that I went to a really challenging undergraduate institution? I mean, stanford is no joke.

Also I heard that if you apply early decision it really helps your chances of getting in, and that ED applicants who get interviews have a strong chance of getting in - have I been misinformed?

Thanks to all who have chimed in with helpful info - as a very nervous applicant, I really appreciate it!

From what I understand early decision applicants are typically above the average for the school (I'm talking generally not sure if this is true for NEOMED). Your GPA is below average for the school, but GPA is not a good indicator since every school is different. Coming from a big name school may or may not help (Harvard I believe is pretty well known for grade inflation so who knows if Stanford is any different). However, MCAT is the big number to be worried about and that is definitely within range, but not above average.

My personal opinion leans toward you having a difficult time getting early acceptance, but you would have a great chance in the normal application process. You will likely get an ED interview though so the community service plus the MCAT and a stellar interview could definitely net you an acceptance. I would try to just relax and try not to spend a lot of time thinking about things you can't control. You're application is in and whatever will be will be.

I was an Ohio resident with a 28 MCAT and 3.71 GPA from a small liberal arts college and got wait-listed everywhere I applied and was put on the high part of NEOMEDs list and accepted in mid-June. So, believe me I know where you are at because I spent an entire year sweating it out wondering what I was going to do if I didn't get in. All that effort I spent worrying didn't do anything productive for me and only stressed me out.

I wish you well in the interview process!

Thank you for your input - I thought for sure I would hear about a possible interview by now, so it's nice to hear I've at least still got a shot.

You didn't mention the 3 research publications I have in your post: do you think that type of stuff is less important?

How many days/weeks notice were you given leading into the interview process?

Thanks again!

Having published research can only be a good thing, and would probably be the differentiator between two equally qualified applicants, but it would be tough to gain acceptance over someone with a significantly better MCAT just because you have research.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions formed from the people I've talked to over the years and my own interview process. Research may be HIGHLY important to someone who is interviewing you based upon their background.

Just got an interview invite for 9/13...very excited. For anyone that has interviewed here in the past what can you tell me about interview day and what to expect.

Hey, any word on when early decision applicants will be notified of admission status? I realize that some of us interviewed two days ago, but I'm excited to
find out how we did.

Best of luck!

I just got a complete email from them. I applied for Regular Decision.

Last edited:
I just got a complete email from them. I applied for Regular Decision.

Same. Did you get the email with the subject, "NEOMED September Application Update"?

Hey, have early decision applicants been contacted yet by the admissions office? Any ideas on when we'll hear from them?

~ Good luck everyone!

Hey, have early decision applicants been contacted yet by the admissions office? Any ideas on when we'll hear from them?

~ Good luck everyone!

Called Jen at admissions. She said the admissions committee is meeting next week and that we may not hear back until right after October 1.

Called Jen at admissions. She said the admissions committee is meeting next week and that we may not hear back until right after October 1.

Really? The NEOMED webpage says 'notification regarding admission is given by October 1'...

That's what she told me when I called. Either way I got the email yesterday informing me I was wait listed. Anyone else with any news?

Got an interview invite today!

Anyone else get the October Application Update with the following text?

As we approach the end of October, the Regular Action admissions process at the Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) is starting to take shape. We have received all of the materials for your application and it is eligible for review during this process.
Interviews for Regular Action have begun and those interviews will continue frequently between now and March. As each interview day occurs, reviews are taking place to determine who we will invite for interview. At this point, you are still under consideration for each interview day as it takes place. We will update you throughout the upcoming months as long as you are still under consideration. If the committee decides to take any action on your application, you will be notified of this as well.
You could receive offers to interview as early as this month or as late as March. If you are selected to interview, you will be contacted via the e-mail address or phone number from your AMCAS application.
If you have any updates to your application or contact information, please let us know. Have a safe and pleasant October and we look forward to communicating with you throughout the admissions process!
Luke Gloeckner, M.Ed.
Assistant Director, Enrollment Services
Northeast Ohio Medical University

Interviewed at NEOMED first week of October (for direct entry). Does anyone know when they usually send out decisions? Thanks.

so, does anyone know what is going on with this school? any direct entry invites? are they finally on regular admission? what kind of timeline are we looking at?

they been inviting direct entries.. I was there Oct 25. Sucks that they don't have that many spots for direct entries because the school is very convenient for me as I live 20 minutes away. :(

i see, were you able to get a spot? are there no spots really left?

i see, were you able to get a spot? are there no spots really left?

I don't think they have filled any direct entry spots yet, the committee is meeting in December though. I don't think you'll be at a serious disadvantage or anything interviewing later since most of the people get put on the waitlist due to their BS/MD program anyway :(

We’re nearing the end of November at the Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) which means that we recently passed our November 1st deadline for AMCAS application submission and are nearing our supplemental application deadline. Thus, we are starting to develop a clearer picture of the applicant pool. This e-mail is providing you another update on how the admissions process is progressing.

We've already notified some applicants that we are no longer considering for admission and we've already interviewed some applicants as well. You are receiving this e-mail since you are among the applicants with complete files that we are considering for possible interview over the upcoming months. At NEOMED, we review our competitive applications such as yours as each interview day approaches. So you could be notified as early as this month for an interview or as late as March. With that in mind, we will do our best to keep you up to date on the admissions process as the application cycle continues.

If you wish to provide us any status updates or application corrections, please contact us at any time. If you are selected for interview, you will be contacted via the e-mail address or phone number from your AMCAS application.

On behalf of the Northeast Ohio Medical University, we hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! Let us know if we can assist you in any way throughout this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.