2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 NEOMED Secondary Prompts

1) NEOMED Personal Statement Please complete a brief personal statement of 5,000 characters or fewer addressing the question below: What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student?

**Optional explainers**:
1) (Optional) Describe your NEOMED legacy relationship. "Legacy Relationship" is defined as parents or siblings of NEOMED alumni, current NEOMED students, or parents or siblings serving as NEOMED faculty (either course instructors or clinical faculty). (100 characters)

2) yes/no
a) Have you been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any criminal offense in a court of law?
b) Have you ever been convicted of a crime related to the manufacture of, or possession with intent to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance?
c) Have you ever been found in a dependency action (RCW 13.34.040), domestic relations proceeding (Title 26 RCW), disciplinary board hearing or protection proceeding (Chapter 74.34 RCW), to have sexually assaulted or exploited, sexually or physically abused a minor or developmentally disabled person OR to have financially exploited or abused a vulnerable adult?
d) Have you ever been judged liable for civil monetary penalties for conduct related to the delivery of services, supplies, or other participation in Medicare/Medicaid or any other state or federal healthcare program?
e) Have you ever been excluded from providing services or supplies under Medicare/Medicaid, or any other federal funded healthcare program?
If you answered "yes" to any of the preceding questions, explain here. Be sure to indicate the level of offense (e.g. misdemeanor, felony, etc.) (5000 characters)

3) Please explain any traffic violation(s) here (5000 characters)

4) Have you ever been found responsible for any academic violation(s) while enrolled in college/university level coursework (after high school) (e.g. plagiarism, academic dishonesty. etc.)? Please explain any academic violation(s) here: (5000 characters)

5) Have you ever been dismissed from a medical education program? Please explain your academic dismissal here (250 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In previous years NEOMED has required Ca$per but this year it's not listed on their website and the Altius page doesn't list them; has anyone been to an event/webinar recently that can confirm that they've done away with it for this cycle? NEOMED was my only school that required it so fingers crossed!
no longer required

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Just received an email confirming they received my primary.

Just received secondary invite. OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

@wysdoc

1) NEOMED Personal Statement Please complete a brief personal statement of 5,000 characters or fewer addressing the question below: What do you hope to achieve from your experience as a NEOMED student?

Then a ton of optional explainers:
1) (Optional) Describe your NEOMED legacy relationship. "Legacy Relationship" is defined as parents or siblings of NEOMED alumni, current NEOMED students, or parents or siblings serving as NEOMED faculty (either course instructors or clinical faculty). (100 characters)

2) yes/no
a) Have you been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any criminal offense in a court of law?
b) Have you ever been convicted of a crime related to the manufacture of, or possession with intent to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance?
c) Have you ever been found in a dependency action (RCW 13.34.040), domestic relations proceeding (Title 26 RCW), disciplinary board hearing or protection proceeding (Chapter 74.34 RCW), to have sexually assaulted or exploited, sexually or physically abused a minor or developmentally disabled person OR to have financially exploited or abused a vulnerable adult?
d) Have you ever been judged liable for civil monetary penalties for conduct related to the delivery of services, supplies, or other participation in Medicare/Medicaid or any other state or federal healthcare program?
e) Have you ever been excluded from providing services or supplies under Medicare/Medicaid, or any other federal funded healthcare program?
If you answered "yes" to any of the preceding questions, explain here. Be sure to indicate the level of offense (e.g. misdemeanor, felony, etc.) (5000 characters)

4) Have you ever been found responsible for any academic violation(s) while enrolled in college/university level coursework (after high school) (e.g. plagiarism, academic dishonesty. etc.)? Please explain any academic violation(s) here: (5000 characters)

5) Have you ever been dismissed from a medical education program? Please explain your academic dismissal here (250 characters)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 OOS. Wondering what factors they consider in terms of screening, since this was included on the initial email: "We do have a practice of reviewing primary applications and not all candidates will be invited to complete a secondary application."

@wysdoc

Then a ton of optional explainers:

2) yes/no

traffic violations, Ohio takes road safety very seriously

Reactions: 1 users
Little confused it says report academic violation but I had a conduct violation. Do I need to answer this question?

Little confused it says report academic violation but I had a conduct violation. Do I need to answer this question?
Also am confused about this question, I was placed on academic probation due to poor performance. I am going to say No because it says "found responsible" so I think it really only means something along the lines of plagiarism or cheating. I disclosed my probation under the institutional action part of my primary application so I think saying no is ok.

Just received confirmation of receipt of my secondary, 2-3 days after submission. I really appreciate their long-winded emails that explain every part of their thought process haha

Reactions: 2 users
How long are people's responses? I feel like I am not getting close to 5,000 :/
I only hit about 3000 characters 😬 Tbh this was secondary number 27/30 for me, so I may be slightly burnt out!

I only hit about 3000 characters 😬 Tbh this was secondary number 27/30 for me, so I may be slightly burnt out!
+1. I was at around 3500. I think for prompts that allow this many characters, 5000 should be seen as an absolute maximum instead of a goal, so long as you were able to fully flesh out your thoughts

Submitted my secondary on 8/5, just barely got my email that it's been received today, 8/9.

For their pre-reqs, they require 2 gen chem labs and 2 ochem labs. However, my undergrad only offered 1 lab for gen and 1 lab for orgo (they combined the two quarters of each into one lab). Does anyone know if they accept this?

For their pre-reqs, they require 2 gen chem labs and 2 ochem labs. However, my undergrad only offered 1 lab for gen and 1 lab for orgo (they combined the two quarters of each into one lab). Does anyone know if they accept this?
• Two semesters of Organic Chemistry and Labs
• Two semesters of Physics and Labs
• Two semesters of Biology and Labs
• One semester of Biochemistry

From secondary:
I understand that any forthcoming offer of admission shall be contingent upon successful completion of all pre-requisite coursework. I have, or will have successfully completed, the NEOMED College of Medicine pre-requisite courses in effect for 2024 admission prior to matriculation at NEOMED. I understand that failure to do so will result in the rescission of my offer of admission to the NEOMED College of Medicine. Please check ALL the pre-requisites that you have completed with grades of C minus of better at the time you are submitting this secondary application:

Biology (2 semester course and 2 labs)

Physics (2 semester course and 2 labs)

Organic Chemistry (2 semester course and 2 labs)

Biochemistry (one semester)

They do not list gen chem, not sure where you saw that. I would email them and see and possibly get a letter from a department chair or faculty at your school to explain it as that will be an issue with most schools.

Do any of your undergraduate universities have two semesters of organic chem labs? My school only has one semester, but NEOMED requires two. I went ahead and submitted, assuming that nearly every other applicant has only taken one semester. Thoughts?

Do any of your undergraduate universities have two semesters of organic chem labs? My school only has one semester, but NEOMED requires two. I went ahead and submitted, assuming that nearly every other applicant has only taken one semester. Thoughts?
My undergrad does. 2 semesters of gen chem lab, too. Also has a lab for biochem, which apparently some schools don't have.

I had two semesters of orgo

how many of the 5k character count did u guys use for the neomed personal statement question, I'm finding it hard to reach even 4k

+1 IS II, submitted 8/15

Last edited:
Interview offered today 8/23 via email. Looks like it'll be via Zoom. IS