2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone who interviewed in November heard anything yet? So far only people from October have said they heard.

Members don't see this ad.

Benefits of applying late: Submitted secondary 12/21, marked processed & complete today 12/28. :thumbup:

why would you think it's appropriate to rub salt in everyone else's proverbial wounds by gloating on this quick processing?!?

why would you think it's appropriate to rub salt in everyone else's proverbial wounds by gloating on this quick processing?!?

Why would you think simply reporting on one's dates would be gloating?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all the hostility in this thread is a testament to how terrible OHSU's process is. ;)

I think OHSU needs to hurry up and give out more interviews and acceptances to help ease the tension on this thread.

I never imagined it would take this long! I submitted on 11/22 and still not processed/completed :/

Interviewed 11/18. Put on hold 1/17.. Anybody have data regarding post interview holds?

Interviewed 11/18. Put on hold 1/17.. Anybody have data regarding post interview holds?

I interviewed that same day and was placed on hold as well. :sleep:

Based on last year's thread, it seems as though post-interview holds lead to waitlist or rejection (although, theoretically, there could have beens some acceptances from "on-hold" status, but those people just did not post on SDN). Anyway, assuming that OHSU admits ~15% directly and rejects ~15% directly, then approximately 350 interviewees are placed on-hold (also assuming 500 interviews). If none of those 350 "on-hold" interviewees are moved from "on-hold" to accepted/rejected before May 15th, then you could expect that ~35% of the "on-hold" pool is placed on the waitlist come May 15th and the rest are rejected. I estimated ~35% because I think there were only about 120 people waitlisted last year. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's hard to say what your acceptance chances are if you are waitlisted. Last year the waitlist moved all the way into the triple digits. In previous years, however, there was far less movement.

Anyway, what this all boils down to is that you probably have about a 35% chance of being waitlisted. And if this year is anything like last year, you have a good chance of getting admitted off the waitlist.

I hope this answers your question. If anyone has anymore insight about what the actual percentages are, please feel free to contribute your perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well, I guess I will be waiting until may to see what happens. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath! This would be my dream school, but I dont want to get my hopes up too high!

Based on last year's thread, it seems as though post-interview holds lead to waitlist or rejection (although, theoretically, there could have beens some acceptances from "on-hold" status, but those people just did not post on SDN). Anyway, assuming that OHSU admits ~15% directly and rejects ~15% directly, then approximately 350 interviewees are placed on-hold (also assuming 500 interviews). If none of those 350 "on-hold" interviewees are moved from "on-hold" to accepted/rejected before May 15th, then you could expect that ~35% of the "on-hold" pool is placed on the waitlist come May 15th and the rest are rejected. I estimated ~35% because I think there were only about 120 people waitlisted last year. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's hard to say what your acceptance chances are if you are waitlisted. Last year the waitlist moved all the way into the triple digits. In previous years, however, there was far less movement.

Anyway, what this all boils down to is that you probably have about a 35% chance of being waitlisted. And if this year is anything like last year, you have a good chance of getting admitted off the waitlist.

I hope this answers your question. If anyone has anymore insight about what the actual percentages are, please feel free to contribute your perspective.

This is partially right. They day I interviewed we were told that in the past the people placed on.hold would most likely remain on hold till may. However, they said that this year, because of the new interview system its possible that people placed on hold could hear anytime between being placed on hold and may. I am a little skeptical about this since ohsu will specifically hold spots so people who interview late have an equal opportunity to get in making me think that most people placed on hold wont hear till may.

On another note, for those else who interviewed, do you remember how they explained the breakdown for decisions would be? When I interviewed I thought they said 20% was GPA/mcat, 40% was the mmi, and 40% was the admission committee. But someone else thought that 20% was GPA/mcat, 40% is the short one on one interview, 40% mmi. Anyone else remember what they said on their day?

This is partially right. They day I interviewed we were told that in the past the people placed on.hold would most likely remain on hold till may. However, they said that this year, because of the new interview system its possible that people placed on hold could hear anytime between being placed on hold and may. I am a little skeptical about this since ohsu will specifically hold spots so people who interview late have an equal opportunity to get in making me think that most people placed on hold wont hear till may.

On another note, for those else who interviewed, do you remember how they explained the breakdown for decisions would be? When I interviewed I thought they said 20% was GPA/mcat, 40% was the mmi, and 40% was the admission committee. But someone else thought that 20% was GPA/mcat, 40% is the short one on one interview, 40% mmi. Anyone else remember what they said on their day?

I would hope that either of those are true, might mean I still have a chance! My mcat and grades are waay below average... I loved the school though and I would still love for a chance to attend. I never heard this on my interview day,

About the number or positions left, I kinda did some other math and came to the conclusion that I had about a 1/3 chance of getting in as well. I guess ill just wait it our right? Frankly, I didnt even think I would get an interview so I wont be holding a grudge if I get a "nay"...

Your question points out the fact that you haven't been reading this thread or OHSU's thread from any other year... This topic has been discussed, rediscussed, and then rediscussed.

Lesson: I recommend reading a full thread in the future before asking. In fact, I would recommend this in life and school (e.g. don't ask a teacher until you've looked through your notes and through the readings).

I, for one, was glad to have a little more activity on this thread, even if the issue was previously addressed.

Your question points out the fact that you haven't been reading this thread or OHSU's thread from any other year... This topic has been discussed, rediscussed, and then rediscussed.

Lesson: I recommend reading a full thread in the future before asking. In fact, I would recommend this in life and school (e.g. don't ask a teacher until you've looked through your notes and through the readings).

lol, thanks for the life guidance....:p

Of course I have read through the threads. I appreciate the advice, and I will respond with advice of my own. Dont jump to conclusions behinds a persons intentions. Sure something might seem obvious, but it can always have deeper reasons. That is something to take to med school with you. :)

What I was actually trying to do was create discussion regarding the numbers. I have found that asking questions is better way of creating that discussion then keeping my mouth shut about what I know. Anyway, I guess I will share the math I did in getting to my 1/3rd chance of acceptance here.

Step one, 500 interviewees- ~130 acceptances by the march time frame where med schools are required to have given out a class-worth of acceptances. This leaves 370 students. Here is where it gets cloudy. Taking last years acceptances as a model, 106 students were accepted off of the wait list. Now, if they have given out ~130 acceptances by May 15th, but they take 106 students off the wait list, that means they really only had 30 commitments. Now, another aspect to take into account is that 15% number which has been floating around. Say the bottom 15% were flat out rejected, that leaves 425. Subtract another 100 from this (which withdrew applications after acceptance), that gives 325 students waiting to hear back. 325 waiting to hear back who might land on the wait list. 106 students off the wait list out of 325 gives about 1/3rd.

Now going back to the cloudy part, there was a post in last years forum which plotted the wait list acceptances. 2010-2011 had 106 off off the wait list but 2009-2010 had only 36. That is a very large difference. I would love to hear if anybody has any more information regarding those numbers.

I, for one, was glad to have a little more activity on this thread, even if the issue was previously addressed.

I was just trying to get people talking. I guess maybe it worked :laugh:

Now going back to the cloudy part, there was a post in last years forum which plotted the wait list acceptances. 2010-2011 had 106 off off the wait list but 2009-2010 had only 36. That is a very large difference. I would love to hear if anybody has any more information regarding those numbers.

I personally love information about numbers as well but I'm not sure how much more information there is about the wait school numbers.I think the number of people that get off the waitlist just depends on the number/what other schools people choose to go to if they receive multiple acceptances. I heard that for the 2010-2011 cycle OHSU accepted more out of state people which is why they jumped so far on the waitlist, but I don't know how reliable that information is. I wish there was a magic formula, but there isn't. It just depends on the applicants that given year.

Some day perhaps someone can base their college thesis on sdn information:

Enhancement of pre-medical students' application confidence based on SDN-evidence supplemented with wishful thinking and speculation, An attempt to rationalize the OHSU admissions process.

SDN poster et al

reapplicant, IS, interviewed early November, hold 1/17/12. Disappointing.

Some day perhaps someone can base their college thesis on sdn information:

Enhancement of pre-medical students' application confidence based on SDN-evidence supplemented with wishful thinking and speculation, An attempt to rationalize the OHSU admissions process.

SDN poster et al

LOVE IT!!! :laugh:

Reapplicant. IS. 36/4.9+, interviewed 12/2/11, accepted 1/18/12

CONGRATULATIONS! That's very exciting news. Ohsu is notoriously slow but this week they seem to have reveiwed a ton of applicants. People who interviewed early November to early December have all posted that they got results today. Fingers crossed they keep on this schedule.

Rejected pre-interview. IS, first time applicant, complete 12/02. This one hurts.

Are interview invites/rejections emailed out, too? Or do you have to log into the OHSU admission site?

Rejected pre-interview. IS, first time applicant, complete 12/02. This one hurts.
Sorry to hear about that. Were you put on a pre-interview hold first? I'm wondering when they'll start deciding about those folks (me, included).

Interviewed on 11/18 and no word of accept/hold/denied yet - either by email or portal. Anybody same or similar?

Interviewed on 11/18 and no word of accept/hold/denied yet - either by email or portal. Anybody same or similar?

I also interviewed on the 18th and haven't heard a thing. I was in the afternoon MMI group...maybe we had the same interviewer?

Does anyone remember from their interviews if OHSU still wants to receive updates?

Interviewed for the MD/PhD program on 1/11 and 1/12, I thought I remembered them saying no updates will be received by the MD/PhD committee after 1/13. I don't remember if the MD program said something similar.

I received a nice award that I would like to update, but also of course do not want to bother them if they firmly said no updates. Any help would be appreciated!

I just applied for the MD program. I noticed that some people who also interviewed on 11/18 have already heard about their status, so I'm wondering if one of the interviewers couldn't make the adcom meeting, or something along those lines. It's all kind of a mystery!

Does anyone remember from their interviews if OHSU still wants to receive updates?

Interviewed for the MD/PhD program on 1/11 and 1/12, I thought I remembered them saying no updates will be received by the MD/PhD committee after 1/13. I don't remember if the MD program said something similar.

I received a nice award that I would like to update, but also of course do not want to bother them if they firmly said no updates. Any help would be appreciated!

Ohsu doesn't like updates. The email you received about an interview should have said something about all updates must be received by the day you email saying your interview preference (mine did at least). Also, the portal says that further updates will not open your file or change the committees decision post interview. Maybe its different fir dual degree programs but that's the case for the MD program.

Sorry to hear about that. Were you put on a pre-interview hold first? I'm wondering when they'll start deciding about those folks (me, included).
Nope, just a straight up rejection.

Anymore people getting interview invites on here? I'm curious to know how far into their interview schedule people have been invited. Anyone been offered dates in March?

This is easily the most pretentious and unnecessary posting in the entire 2012 Application Thread. Nice work.

i'm stil torn on something. would a letter of interest help if i was placed on hold? in may when they revisit applicants, would a letter of interest help? or does it stay the same and not change anything.

i'm stil torn on something. would a letter of interest help if i was placed on hold? in may when they revisit applicants, would a letter of interest help? or does it stay the same and not change anything.

If you are on hold post-interview, a letter of interest WILL NOT help.The portal specifically says:

"Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision. "

If you are on hold post-interview, a letter of interest WILL NOT help.The portal specifically says:

"Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision. "

That's why he/she asked if it will help when they revisit in May.

That's why he/she asked if it will help when they revisit in May.

No. It will have no bearing. OHSU explains that the way there system works is everyone receives a score value after their application is reviewed. People with a value above a certain number are automatically accepted, people below a certain value are automatically rejected, and people in the middle are placed on hold. These values dictate where people fall on the wait list. Once the committee receives your application and gives you a score value, that number DOESN'T change, regardless of updates/letters. This has been stated before in this and previous threads. The committee doesn't re-review the applications. In May they just give out the remaining acceptances (if any), set up the wait list, and give out the after hold rejections for those who didn't make the wait list.

do you know if they tell you early May or late May. I think i have to announce official matriculation to my other acceptance by May 31st so I'm hoping I would know before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.