2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the email, accepted! I am so thrilled! I hope all of you would get good news soon too!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS! That was fast. Maybe that means the committee meeting is over and we will all start hearing news?

Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Thanks everyone! I interviewed on 3/16.. OOS..I didn't hear anything since the interview and was not placed on hold, so I was getting a little worried.. but it turned out for the best!! I hope it is a good sign for all of you waiting out there who did not hear anything yet too! :xf:

I forgot to mention that it was my second time applying to OHSU.. thought you might want to know :) always have hope!

Lots of OOS acceptances. Ready for some IS love from OHSU. :xf:

Y'know, every time I see you've posted to this thread I'm hoping it's to say you've finally been accepted! :xf: :xf:

Argh! Same here. :laugh:

I sure would love to stop pricing moving companies and daycare options...

Argh! Same here. :laugh:

I sure would love to stop pricing moving companies and daycare options...
Mutual chain-yanking, for the win!

I don't even want to think about the financial part of this yet.

Congrats, I hope to hear some good news soon as well. I'm sure it's a huge relief.

Hey, does anyone know if there is any kind of dress code etiquette for the Second Look Day? Like is it business casual, causal etc.? I am going tomorrow and was wondering if anyone who went last week could comment. -Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anyone know if there is any kind of dress code etiquette for the Second Look Day? Like is it business casual, causal etc.? I am going tomorrow and was wondering if anyone who went last week could comment. -Thanks!

You're probably going to have more luck asking on the class of 2016 Facebook page. The denizens of this thread are, for the most part, folks who are still desperately waiting to hear a final decision from OHSU and as such don't have much to say about second look dress codes. :laugh:

That said, based on my experience with second look days, wear something that's both seasonally appropriate and not obviously slovenly. (ie, dress like you would for a job, not Spring Fling.) I promise there's no one grading your outfit--at least no one who matters.

So guys and gals, I just wanted to let you know that there will be at least 1 more spot for the OHSU class of 2016. The decision was not an easy one for me, but in the end I have chosen to withdraw my acceptance offer today. I still think OHSU is a top-notch medical school and my decision has more to do with my own personal preference than it does with OHSU lacking in any certain area.

I hope that my slot goes to someone on SDN because I know there are many deserving applicants still waiting on these boards. I wish everyone here the best of luck now and in the future, hopefully you will be hearing from your school of choice shortly. Also, just fyi, I had a scholarship offered from OHSU, so that should be awarded to another excellent applicant as well. CHEERS!

So guys and gals, I just wanted to let you know that there will be at least 1 more spot for the OHSU class of 2016. The decision was not an easy one for me, but in the end I have chosen to withdraw my acceptance offer today. I still think OHSU is a top-notch medical school and my decision has more to do with my own personal preference than it does with OHSU lacking in any certain area.

I hope that my slot goes to someone on SDN because I know there are many deserving applicants still waiting on these boards. I wish everyone here the best of luck now and in the future, hopefully you will be hearing from your school of choice shortly. Also, just fyi, I had a scholarship offered from OHSU, so that should be awarded to another excellent applicant as well. CHEERS!

Good luck with everything. Wish you the best. Thanks for opening up another spot!

You're probably going to have more luck asking on the class of 2016 Facebook page. The denizens of this thread are, for the most part, folks who are still desperately waiting to hear a final decision from OHSU and as such don't have much to say about second look dress codes. :laugh:

That said, based on my experience with second look days, wear something that's both seasonally appropriate and not obviously slovenly. (ie, dress like you would for a job, not Spring Fling.) I promise there's no one grading your outfit--at least no one who matters.

Thanks for your help! I tend to be that akward kid who is always over- or under-dressed for things so I just wanted to check. Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

C'mon Oregon, let me in. I don't have an umbrella or anything.

Crickets! Crickets, I tell you! :laugh:

If no one hears anything (actually, whether or not anyone hears anything) today, this is looking to be a loooong weekend.

Crickets! Crickets, I tell you! :laugh:

If no one hears anything (actually, whether or not anyone hears anything) today, this is looking to be a loooong weekend.
Right? After Peds' acceptance I was sure there was a cascade of notices to follow immediately after. Definately looks to be a long weekend coming.

Has anyone checked their secondary portal today? I've sworn it off until I hear other news, since I refuse to be the first May rejection two years running... ;)

Has anyone checked their secondary portal today? I've sworn it off until I hear other news, since I refuse to be the first May rejection two years running... ;)

Still waiting here too! I'm running out of fingernails to bite! :p

No change here either. Gonna be a long weekend, as you say! :scared:

I wonder what they were doing all day since the committee finished their meeting/decisions yesterday. I wonder if we will even start to hear on Monday.... It might night be till Tuesday since that is when people started hearing last week.

I wonder what they were doing all day since the committee finished their meeting/decisions yesterday.
Does OHSU do background checks? That could add a few days post decision, pre-notification.

It's either that or they're all sitting up on the hill reading this thread, eating bonbons, and laughing maniacally.

Does OHSU do background checks? That could add a few days post decision, pre-notification.

It's either that or they're all sitting up on the hill reading this thread, eating bonbons, and laughing maniacally.

I'm not sure if they do background checks. But are background checks usually done pre-acceptance? I always thought a background check was done AFTER you received the acceptance. It is an interesting possibility.

I'm not sure if they do background checks. But are background checks usually done pre-acceptance? I always thought a background check was done AFTER you received the acceptance. It is an interesting possibility.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a school could choose to contact Certiphi before the applicant, but in my (n=1) experience, the background check email came six days after my first acceptance. They can't actually run the check til you've filled in a bunch of picky details anyway.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a school could choose to contact Certiphi before the applicant, but in my (n=1) experience, the background check email came six days after my first acceptance. They can't actually run the check til you've filled in a bunch of picky details anyway.

This.

Sorry, guys. Probably not the reason for the delay.

The more likely reason would seem to be that this is the weekend of Cinco de Mayo and, I mean, OHSU is in Portland after-all....

Any predictions for what will happen tomorrow? I'm guessing that the remaining 30 or so acceptances will be given out. Then rejections will begin on Tuesday, and the wait list e-mails will come after all the rejections have been posted on the portals. Any other thoughts.

Any predictions for what will happen tomorrow? I'm guessing that the remaining 30 or so acceptances will be given out. Then rejections will begin on Tuesday, and the wait list e-mails will come after all the rejections have been posted on the portals. Any other thoughts.

I thought the wait would be easier once we got to May... Boy was I wrong!

Your guess is as good as any. I'm envisioning that relative order of events, but having a hard time thinking they'd start tomorrow....

I thought the wait would be easier once we got to May... Boy was I wrong!
Same here. It was easy enough to just write everything off and not think too much about it, until about a week ago when I started climbing the walls!

Your guess is as good as any. I'm envisioning that relative order of events, but having a hard time thinking they'd start tomorrow....

Why don't you think they will start tomorrow? Do you think all the results will go out this week or that some will go out on Monday/Tuesday of next week. When I had called it sounded like everyone would know their results this week. Also, since their last 2nd look is Friday, the acceptances should be out before that to give as many people the option to go to it.

any news yet?

Seeing a new post here gave me a real nice shot of adrenaline. :laugh: But no, no news here.

I'm kind of of two minds about the timing here. I can see the reasoning behind getting any additional acceptances out as early as possible to reduce the risk of acceptees having already made other plans, but I can also see a scenario in which final decisions are delayed as long as possible to allow for last-minute withdrawals to be taken into consideration. Basically, it's useless to even try to game it out. We'll see, I guess. Everybody try to keep busy, and if you're in the Portland area, enjoy the amazing weather!

Last edited:
Seeing a new post here gave me a real nice shot of adrenaline. :laugh: But no, no news here.
Drat you people! Me too! :rolleyes:

I'm kind of of two minds about the timing here. I can see the reasoning behind getting any additional acceptances out as early as possible to reduce the risk of acceptees having already made other plans,
I have always suspected that what seems like a high rate of acceptances being offered to OOS applicants had something to do with OHSU wanting to court them more aggressively, while they know they can take us locals for granted. :cool:

Basically, it's useless to even try to game it out. We'll see, I guess. Everybody try to keep busy, and if you're in the Portland area, enjoy the amazing weather!
Amen to that. G'luck everyone! :luck: :xf: :luck: :xf:

I don't know why people are scared of calling. They are always very nice when you call and don't even ask your name. Just answer your questions. Got this information when I called today. If anyone has further questions, I really recommend calling and asking. It is not scary, and you don't even have to tell them your name.

1) Current number of people on hold unknown
2) 20-30 spots still to go out (will go out first)
3) Wait list will be 150
4) Doesn't know if there will be a particular order for rejections/wait list e-mails
5) SHOULD hear by Friday but possibly early next week with absolute latest being Tuesday (which in OHSU world means most likely we will be waiting till next week)

Sounds like it will be at least another couple days before news comes out. Let the torture continue.

I don't know why people are scared of calling. They are always very nice when you call and don't even ask your name. Just answer your questions.
It's not an issue of fear. Well, not fear of the AdCom, maybe fear of employment repercussions... It's very hard for me to find a discreet place to make a phone call during business hours where my boss won't be overhearing it. :thumbdown:

Also, perhaps cynically, the few times I've tried to call in the past I have always gotten some blackhole voicemail box, and never ever got a call back. :confused:

But thank you so much for calling again and reporting back! It is definitely appreciated. :)

I don't know why people are scared of calling. They are always very nice when you call and don't even ask your name. Just answer your questions. Got this information when I called today. If anyone has further questions, I really recommend calling and asking. It is not scary, and you don't even have to tell them your name.

1) Current number of people on hold unknown
2) 20-30 spots still to go out (will go out first)
3) Wait list will be 150
4) Doesn't know if there will be a particular order for rejections/wait list e-mails
5) SHOULD hear by Friday but possibly early next week with absolute latest being Tuesday (which in OHSU world means most likely we will be waiting till next week)

Sounds like it will be at least another couple days before news comes out. Let the torture continue.

aaargh! this just adds to the butterflies already in my stomach! lol, the reason I didnt want to call is because ignorance is bliss, i might ask a question I dont want to know the answer to... thanks for checking in though! as much as I hate reading this, I still want to know, which is why I havnt stopped checking SDN!:)

aaargh! this just adds to the butterflies already in my stomach! lol, the reason I didnt want to call is because ignorance is bliss, i might ask a question I dont want to know the answer to... thanks for checking in though! as much as I hate reading this, I still want to know, which is why I havnt stopped checking SDN!:)

+1

I've never hoped so much for a crazy work week. I just need time to pass by on fastforward till the 15th!

+1

I've never hoped so much for a crazy work week. I just need time to pass by on fastforward till the 15th!

I wish I had some sort of work which could prevent me from impulsively checking SDN and the portal...

Urgh. I won't even ask if anyone has news.
I just hope the acceptances go out in time for those lucky 20+ to attend the final second look this Friday, if they can swing the trip.

Anyone know what the admissions phone number is?

Anyone know what the admissions phone number is?

I used 503-418-1619. It is the interview coordinators number. You may need a different one depending on what you are calling about.

No news here. OHSU is really feeling like taking their time. Pretty much the only people that could go to their last second look at this point would be in state people only.

Status
Not open for further replies.