2011-2012 Temple Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i bet both

Members don't see this ad.

Also is anyone else having problems paying the secondary fee?

Can someone post the secondary questions please? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to keep everyone updated: I called the admissions office about the payment problem. They are aware of it and are working to fix it. The lady told me to expect it to be fixed either later today or tomorrow morning.

Can someone post the secondary questions please? :)

1)What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

2) If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Geisinger Health System or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue. (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

3) What are your plans for the current year- June 2011 until June 2012? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

Have fun writing! and :luck:

i looked up the clinical campuses on Wiki and it looks like Temple Univ Hospital and affiliates is the most renowned hospital (which makes sense since its not a clinical campus), i think its my first pick...

so do u think admissions will be cool about not picking one of their 3 clinical campuses since its also a secondary question?

1)What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

2) If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Geisinger Health System or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue. (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

3) What are your plans for the current year- June 2011 until June 2012? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

Have fun writing! and :luck:

Thanks. I was just about to do this but you beat me to it. :thumbup:

got secondary.. cant login.. shows weird codes when hit log in.

got secondary.. cant login.. shows weird codes when hit log in.

Yea it's so glitchy. It told me that I would be prompted to change my password, but that never happened. I would give it a day or two.

hey, im filling out the secondary but i'm still confused about the differences between campuses...can someone please explain the differences?
Thank you!:)

I'm not sure what you want to know. Truthfully, I figured most people requested one of the clinical campuses because of local ties. They grew up in those areas or had family there.

As for TMO, it's been buggy for a couple days, but I think someone on the C/o 2015 FB group called and they said it should be fixed today.

so for the letters of rec, i already assigned all my letters to temple before getting the secondary. i have letters both from graduate and undergraduate schools...do you think i could just click "compilation of letters" and designate "Interfolio" as my compiler? what do the individual options mean?

How long is everyone's answer to "Why Temple?"
There's no character limit, but the admissions lady said 250 characters :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
How long is everyone's answer to "Why Temple?"
There's no character limit, but the admissions lady said 250 characters :confused:

There's no way the maximum is 250 characters. Maybe she meant minimum? :laugh: Your *post* was 120 characters. Even 250 words is pretty tiny--most secondary essays with a max length have a 500 word limit.

FWIW, my 'Why Temple?" essay was ~380 words and over 2000 characters. Maybe 2500 characters is the limit, but it's definitely not 250.

Guys, just an FYI, you might be able to get some of your questions answers in the 2010-2011 SSD thread for Temple. I know I was able to dig up some useful stuff from the 2009-2010 thread before. :)

can a current student or Geekchick please give us your thoughts on choice of campus? trying to read in btwn the lines here about the difference btwn the clinical sites and why they'd want us to rank every one of them. i mean...i guess it's safe to assume almost everyone (esp OOS) puts Temple U and its affiliates as no 1 and from last yr's thread, it seems like most ppl who pick that site gets it right? and they usually stay in philly. the other ones, danville, st. luke's etc. are mostly ppl who have ties to those areas (like you Geekchick right?). I actually think I like Danville better but i know it has the least number of spots so I'm kind of scared to put it.

I grew up in Philadelphia and live just outside the city now, so I wanted to stay at Temple and the affiliate hospitals. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I really think the main reason people request the other clinical campuses are because of ties to those areas. They told us at interviews last cycle that just about everyone gets their number one choice, the main exception being people that are accepted off the WL that are offered spots where the people withdrew from.

Just a note, I may have said this earlier, but we were told it's much easier to move from the main campus to a clinical campus than it is to move from a clinical campus to main campus. If you're not sure if you'd like to go to Danville, I would put Temple, then Danville, then rank the other two however you like.

Geekchick, do you have any thoughts on Danville?

We drive past Danville on the way to my in-laws in upstate PA (where they retired) and it's in a pretty rural part of PA. I also have a friend who had to move up there as it was the ONLY place that would hire a new-grad nurse. She doesn't like the area very much (I think she misses the city) and she's looking forward to getting a job back in Philly and moving home after she gets enough experience. That said, it's a major health system for that part of PA.

Did you follow the links on Temple's site? I'm sure can offer more insight than I can.
http://www.geisinger.edu/med_ed/index.html

Also, Good luck, Steve! Don't worry if it takes you more than 2 months to get an interview. It took them almost 2 1/2 months for me and I submitted in mid to late July.

Also, Good luck, Steve! Don't worry if it takes you more than 2 months to get an interview. It took them almost 2 1/2 months for me and I submitted in mid to late July.

Thanks, geekchick! I put a lot into that secondary, and I'm hoping it pays off :D. I would like the opportunity to school you in some laparoscopic simulations :smuggrin:.

challenge-accepted.png

Just submitted my secondary! :xf:

:luck: to those of you who did, or are going to!

can someone also please tell me more about the capstone (that's part of the Doctoring course)? couldn't find enough info on their website.

During 4th year? I can't find anything about it either, except that the capstone is only 2 weeks long at the end of April/beginning of May and ends about a week before graduation. I wouldn't worry about it. It might even be completely different by then (IIRC, they've been making curriculum changes based on student feedback). :)

Submitted yesterday - current status: "under review"

Submitted yesterday- I guess they have to wait for my MCATs to come out in a week to review :)

Submitted 6/29, just went "under review" yesterday...hopefully i can land another interview

Mine changed to under review yesterday as well and I'm still waiting for my score to come back next week. haha

It'll probably be close to a month before interview invites start rolling in. First person that mentioned on in last year's thread got one at the end of July, but that was the only one until a week and change in August. That said, if you don't hear back right away, don't sweat it! Personally, I was complete mid to late July and didn't get an interview invite until around October 1st (see MDApps for exact dates).

Until then... you can drool over the 2-year-old MERB. ;)

Is no research a huge detriment here? All their "mission" stuff says they really emphasize patient-care, but most everything else I read kinda says they're heavy on becoming a renowned research institution.

From my own experience, I'd say no. I didn't have a lot of research and I did mention it at my interview (I forget how it came up). My interviewer waved it off and said they are more interested in churning out good clinicians. It didn't seem like it was a big deal at all that I was short on research experience.

That said, there do seem to be some interesting research opportunities here, and I think that their stated goal to become more of a research institution is probably one of the areas they want to improve on since they were put on probation a few years ago (the new building is, too).

One thing I know they're big on is obesity, especially childhood obesity, since Temple's in a low SEC area that they're very dedicated to serving. Here's the link to the research page for the school. http://www.temple.edu/medicine/research/RESEARCH_TUSM/index.htm

how long are your why temple essays? i'm rethinking what i submitted lol >.< the wait game sucks

any word from temple for anyone? I've been under review since 7/4.

any word from temple for anyone? I've been under review since 7/4.
I'm in the same situation. I assume we'll be waiting to hear until interview invites start in early August. Most of my apps have reached a similar point of deafening silence. No more to do but wait and dodge rejection. It's excruciating.

Definitely don't fret that you haven't heard back yet. Like I said above, the first real wave of interview invites last year didn't go out until ~August 10th, but even so, don't worry if you don't hear back right away even if you were complete in July.

What did people mainly discuss in the "Why Temple" essay? I do not have personal ties to Philly or PA... I also have extensive research background and I'm wondering if that reflects badly for Temple - or if Temple is excited to hear from research-oriented applicants? My clinical experiences aren't as out of the ordinary. I've been browsing the site but there hasn't been anything that popped out at me yet!!

(my main reasons for having Temple on my school list is because I'm trying to apply together with my boyfriend and applying to all the med schools in Philly seemed strategic (there aren't SO many cities with multiple med schools...)... and I wouldn't mind experiencing living in Philadelphia!)

What did people mainly discuss in the "Why Temple" essay? I do not have personal ties to Philly or PA... I also have extensive research background and I'm wondering if that reflects badly for Temple - or if Temple is excited to hear from research-oriented applicants? My clinical experiences aren't as out of the ordinary. I've been browsing the site but there hasn't been anything that popped out at me yet!!

Temple is trying to step up their research game, I think, so mentioning your research might be a plus. I talked about the new curriculum in my essay. I wouldn't say much about location unless it is Temple-specific.

Are all y'all "Under Review"? I submitted late June and still have the "Verified" status.

I submitted June 28th and went "under review" July 15th, hope that helps!

Are all y'all "Under Review"? I submitted late June and still have the "Verified" status.

(my main reasons for having Temple on my school list is because I'm trying to apply together with my boyfriend and applying to all the med schools in Philly seemed strategic (there aren't SO many cities with multiple med schools...)... and I wouldn't mind experiencing living in Philadelphia!)

There seemed like plenty of research opportunities there. I thought Temple's website was one of the easier ones to navigate around and get information about opportunities available as a medical student.

Last edited:

Explanation for: Under Review
Your application is under review with our office.

Haha can't be more clear/redundant than that. submitted secondary 6/29

Man, Temple had first invites 7/28 last year. Maybe this Monday they will start the first batch of interview invites :eek::eek::eek:

Man, Temple had first invites 7/28 last year. Maybe this Monday they will start the first batch of interview invites :eek::eek::eek:

If you were looking at the SSD thread, I think only one person said they got an invite in July. The first wave didn't come until the second week of August. With that in mind, I think the first batch will come out next week.

:xf: For you guys! We had our White Coat today, and orientation has been very busy but I thought it was really good. There were a LOT of presentations but most of them were 30 minutes or less, so they were short and sweet. They also had really nice events for us every night (except for today).

Status
Not open for further replies.