2011-2012 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you referring to the basic training for military officers in June/July, depending on your service?

yea. I just got off the phone with Rebecca Patterson. She informed me that for the army, our officer training/school is from June 11- July 24. Then we only have a few days before our orientation which begins on the 6th of August.

Members don't see this ad.

Have any of the Jan 26 interviewees heard anything yet? I interviewed on Feb 2, so I am curious how close they might be to looking at our group.

Have any of the Jan 26 interviewees heard anything yet? I interviewed on Feb 2, so I am curious how close they might be to looking at our group.

I know this doesn't help much, but I am a Jan 19th interviewee. Still waiting. I called last week to see when I might expect a decision, and they said to wait about 2 more weeks. So it looks like it is taking around 12 weeks now (at least that's what it will be for me). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that it's getting close to time to reapply, I was wondering if there are any accepted reapplicants. What did you guys do to make your application more competitive?

They told me that I would have to rewrite my personal statement and get new letters. Since I've still been in school this last year, my application has no major changes. If anything, my gpa dropped by around .05.

How can I expect to get in the second time if there are no changes in my application except a slight gpa drop?

Feb 2 interviewee here. I got my waitlist letter on Monday. It was dated March 29th.

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlists for each service?

Now that it's getting close to time to reapply, I was wondering if there are any accepted reapplicants. What did you guys do to make your application more competitive?

They told me that I would have to rewrite my personal statement and get new letters. Since I've still been in school this last year, my application has no major changes. If anything, my gpa dropped by around .05.

How can I expect to get in the second time if there are no changes in my application except a slight gpa drop?

I thought you were waitlisted? are you just trying to keep all your bases covered?

Yes sir! Better safe than sorry?

It's definitely recommended to write a new PS but it seems unlikely any school would require new letters...

On another note. Based on what everyone's said.. 30% decline acceptances and most everyone gets off the WL so to me that says there's <20 WL'ed for each service?..

It's definitely recommended to write a new PS but it seems unlikely any school would require new letters...

On another note. Based on what everyone's said.. 30% decline acceptances and most everyone gets off the WL so to me that says there's <20 WL'ed for each service?..

That's some math skills!

Last Year 247 acceptances were offered for 171 spots, which is a 30% decline or unable to accept rate. If the entire waitlist was exhausted plus some alternate positions. I'd say the waitlist is 20-24 people for each service.

Last edited:
Last Year 247 acceptances were offered for 171 spots, which is a 44% decline or unable to accept rate. If the entire waitlist was exhausted plus some alternate positions. I'd say the waitlist is 20-24 people for each service.

Well then, come on. I need 20 army students to drop!

Knowing very little about your current application, I would definitely make sure you have a physician shadow experience in your application. A letter from this physician would be good to add as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, with a quick look on these spec, would I have any chance with USU next year?

- Active Duty (Army) Lab Tech / Research Assistant
- cGpa: 3.01 , sGPA: 3.14, (post-bacc GPA : 3.85) , 1 year of Master GPA :3.7
- For DO: cGPA: 3.28 , sGPA: 3.63
- MCAT: 34
- 200 hrs of Volunteering
- Few Shadowing
- Good letters

With these numbers, do I even have a chance at USU or any MD school? Or should I just go for DO? If I really want to do MD, should I go for SMP? And also, if I want to get HPSP, I understand that I need min of 3.2 uGPA. Is there anyway I can get a wavier for that?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello, with a quick look on these spec, would I have any chance with USU next year?

- Active Duty (Army) Lab Tech / Research Assistant
- cGpa: 3.01 , sGPA: 3.14, (post-bacc GPA : 3.85) , 1 year of Master GPA :3.7
- For DO: cGPA: 3.28 , sGPA: 3.63
- MCAT: 34
- 200 hrs of Volunteering
- Few Shadowing
- Good letters

With these numbers, do I even have a chance at USU or any MD school? Or should I just go for DO? If I really want to do MD, should I go for SMP? And also, if I want to get HPSP, I understand that I need min of 3.2 uGPA. Is there anyway I can get a wavier for that?

Thank you!

Have you even attempted to look at the MSAR: medical school admission requirement book- they come out with one practically every year...:p Then you'd know that your mcat is far above the safe cutoff as is your post-bac GPA :D and, don't quote me, but I don't believe there is a solid uGPA cutoff requirement from what I heard from my recruiter- its based on a fuller representation of all the courses your completed, including post-UG.

Knowing very little about your current application, I would definitely make sure you have a physician shadow experience in your application. A letter from this physician would be good to add as well.

Definitely don't disagree letters from Dr's shadowed wouldn't hurt but its far more impressive if you've actually did something for them- shadowing is more of a favor on their part. Even though they can gush about how enthusiastic you are about medicine, it doesn't shed light on your capabilities- again, unless if you did something like demonstrated strong work ethics under their supervision.. least that's what my advisor mentioned, otherwise you'd benefit far more by having a letter from an employee- my friend she used her "Build-a-bear" floor manager and at her interview, her interviewer was so impressed by what they had to say about her...in short, :laugh: since she always wanted to go into Peds, this letter really brought her application together and gave it focus. So don't forget people outside of the required science and humanities, who could vouch for your medical passions.

noted the 'knowing very little about your current application' wasn't trying to rip on your comment 2ndCareer, just adding to it :)

Last edited:
Definitely don't disagree letters from Dr's shadowed wouldn't hurt but its far more impressive if you've actually did something for them- shadowing is more of a favor on their part. Even though they can gush about how enthusiastic you are about medicine, it doesn't shed light on your capabilities- again, unless if you did something like demonstrated strong work ethics under their supervision.. least that's what my advisor mentioned, otherwise you'd benefit far more by having a letter from an employee- my friend she used her "Build-a-bear" floor manager and at her interview, her interviewer was so impressed by what they had to say about her...in short, :laugh: since she always wanted to go into Peds, this letter really brought her application together and gave it focus. So don't forget people outside of the required science and humanities, who could vouch for your medical passions.

noted the 'knowing very little about your current application' wasn't trying to rip on your comment 2ndCareer, just adding to it :)

I worked for an ophthalmologist for 3 years and did research in the lab for three years. I used the physician as my clinical letter.

Where's all the movement? This suspense kills me more and more every day!

We probably won't see much movement until May 15th when applicants must pick a school and decline all other offers. I do hope that maybe USUHS requires their applicants to notify them before hand since the Army and Navy does their officer training in early-mid June.

I looked at threads for the past five years of application cycles. It seems to me that there is a lot of movement starting right now. However, we may not see that much of it here because there is about a third of the activity in posting to the forums compared to years past.

Furthermore, I have concluded that the waitlist is designed to be exhausted and that he number of people on the waitlist is equal to the projected number of people that will not accept a slot at USUHS. I wouldn't take this to the bank though. One year only 50% of the Navy waitlisters were ultimately offered acceptance.

We probably won't see much movement until May 15th when applicants must pick a school and decline all other offers. I do hope that maybe USUHS requires their applicants to notify them before hand since the Army and Navy does their officer training in early-mid June.

I vaguely recall that if we're accepted with very little time from when OCS,etc. starts that we may end up doing it between MS1 and MS2- this may however only apply to HPSP apps.

I second that! I live in TX and would have to fly out there to find housing, take finals to graduate, and get ready for OBLC in 2 weeks.

I vaguely recall that if we're accepted with very little time from when OCS,etc. starts that we may end up doing it between MS1 and MS2- this may however only apply to HPSP apps.

I know that HPSP will allow you to do the training between MS1-MS2 depending on the start date of your school. I am not sure of USUHS...I think they wouldn't have that happen since you are in the military while at school with a commission and pay that they'd require you to have the training. I know that schools who start before June 30? require applicants to notify them of a yes/no answer by April 15, I do wonder if USUHS does that since its applicants "start" in June for training even though the official start date of school isn't until late August. I guess we will find out in another week or so when April 15th rolls by.

Oh this long wait does suck but it'll all work out for the best :)

I know that HPSP will allow you to do the training between MS1-MS2 depending on the start date of your school. I am not sure of USUHS...I think they wouldn't have that happen since you are in the military while at school with a commission and pay that they'd require you to have the training. I know that schools who start before June 30? require applicants to notify them of a yes/no answer by April 15, I do wonder if USUHS does that since its applicants "start" in June for training even though the official start date of school isn't until late August. I guess we will find out in another week or so when April 15th rolls by.

Oh this long wait does suck but it'll all work out for the best :)

They specifically mentioned on our interview date that students have been accepted off the waiting list after OBC has started (and even finished!). Thus, it stands to reason that alternate arrangements for that training can be made if needed.

They specifically mentioned on our interview date that students have been accepted off the waiting list after OBC has started (and even finished!). Thus, it stands to reason that alternate arrangements for that training can be made if needed.
I would hope we don't have to wait THAT long :) but that is good to know!

A hypothetical question:
If we go to Officer Training, can we still decline acceptance after?
(If I get into Harvard, I probably won't go to USUHS)

A hypothetical question:
If we go to Officer Training, can we still decline acceptance after?
(If I get into Harvard, I probably won't go to USUHS)

I don't think so. By then you would have signed the contract stating that you're govt property so that would be going AWOL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how the contract works for everyone else and I remember them telling us that we sign it before OT

I looked at threads for the past five years of application cycles. It seems to me that there is a lot of movement starting right now. However, we may not see that much of it here because there is about a third of the activity in posting to the forums compared to years past.

Furthermore, I have concluded that the waitlist is designed to be exhausted and that he number of people on the waitlist is equal to the projected number of people that will not accept a slot at USUHS. I wouldn't take this to the bank though. One year only 50% of the Navy waitlisters were ultimately offered acceptance.

Oh man, so much hope!!! I just wish they would let us in sooner! :scared: Also, where did you find the old threads? I only found last years. I want to scour them too.

I don't think so. By then you would have signed the contract stating that you're govt property so that would be going AWOL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how the contract works for everyone else and I remember them telling us that we sign it before OT

My suspicion is that at a minimum, you might be under some sort of obligation at that point. Of course you can get out of the contract *somehow*, but it is possible that getting out of the contract might preclude your timely matriculation at Harvard (IE incurred service obligation, etc). I think that this might be a case where you just have to contact USUHS to be sure one way or another.

Oh man, so much hope!!! I just wish they would let us in sooner! :scared: Also, where did you find the old threads? I only found last years. I want to scour them too.

I used the search option on the grey toolbar that includes the "my account" and "log out" links. I just searched USUHS and filtered results that had posts at least a year old or older.
Quick Links:
10-11
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728318&highlight=usuhs
09-10
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=625445&highlight=usuhs
08-09
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=567903&highlight=usuhs
07-08
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=451688&highlight=usuhs
06-07
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=335651&highlight=usuhs

Last edited:
Is it a big deal to drop classes that we don't need for any reason? I want to drop a couple science classes so I can finish doing some research before starting school.

Is it a big deal to drop classes that we don't need for any reason? I want to drop a couple science classes so I can finish doing some research before starting school.

I have this question as well. I had a course planned for the summer but officer training will make the scheduling difficult. Its a non required course but I had listed it on my amcas application as a future course.

So I was thinking of writing a letter of intent to the school and was wondering if it should be addressed to the office of admissions or Dr. Calloway?

thanks

So I was thinking of writing a letter of intent to the school and was wondering if it should be addressed to the office of admissions or Dr. Calloway?

thanks

When I asked about sending an additional letter of rec, they responded with:

"You may have sent by mail to: Admissions, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bldg. A Room 1041, Bethesda, MD 20814 or by email with signature would be quicker."

Not sure if the same would apply to letters of intent, but you could always email them and ask. I found that they are usually pretty quick to respond.

When I asked about sending an additional letter of rec, they responded with:

"You may have sent by mail to: Admissions, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bldg. A Room 1041, Bethesda, MD 20814 or by email with signature would be quicker."

Not sure if the same would apply to letters of intent, but you could always email them and ask. I found that they are usually pretty quick to respond.

send it by email. i addressed it to Dr. Calloway and the Committee on Admissions

LOL, some of us are still waiting to see if we are ON the waiting list. You think y'all are impatient: you already know you've got good odds that you're in.

Sorry brother. Did not mean to be discourteous. I thought everyone was already decided. Best of luck to you, hope to see you in the fall.

Sorry brother. Did not mean to be discourteous. I thought everyone was already decided. Best of luck to you, hope to see you in the fall.

Not at all! Best of luck to you too! The Feb 2nds seem to be being processed now... I was told to expect word middle-to-end of this week.

I know that being on the wait list gives you a good chance but does anyone know if your chances are better or worse if you were on hold first? Also does anyone know how many people are normally placed on hold? It doesn't seem like this happens to many people and I can't find any info on it in past forums.

I know that being on the wait list gives you a good chance but does anyone know if your chances are better or worse if you were on hold first? Also does anyone know how many people are normally placed on hold? It doesn't seem like this happens to many people and I can't find any info on it in past forums.

I would venture that your chances are worse if you are placed on hold purely based on the fact you aren't on the wait list for as long. Once you are waitlisted your chances are as good as anyone else on the wait list.

I'd also guess that a significant number of people to get put on hold status. In my model, of their admissions system there is a set number of both acceptance and wait list spots, which are filled on a rolling basis from the top down. As spots open up candidates get moved from hold onto the wait list and from the wait list into open acceptances. I think the alternate list is determined when all applications have been reviewed, assuming all the applications are competitive with each other.

Anyone heard/seen any movement on the waitlist?[/QUOTE

I checked the AAMC traffic rules and they change (as of April 15th) for medical schools whose classes start on or before July 30th. These schools are allowed to start forcing their applicants who have multiple acceptance offers to turn down offers from other schools.

Maybe this has a rippling effect throughout the system?

Last edited:
I would venture that your chances are worse if you are placed on hold purely based on the fact you aren't on the wait list for as long. Once you are waitlisted your chances are as good as anyone else on the wait list.

I'd also guess that a significant number of people to get put on hold status. In my model, of their admissions system there is a set number of both acceptance and wait list spots, which are filled on a rolling basis from the top down. As spots open up candidates get moved from hold onto the wait list and from the wait list into open acceptances. I think the alternate list is determined when all applications have been reviewed, assuming all the applications are competitive with each other.

There have already been a few people placed on alternate status that posted it (so obviously I am sure there are more) So I think you are still in a good position if you went onto the waitlist after being put on hold. I am sure there was something on your app that they wanted to look at again vs people who were put on the waitlist without being put on hold. And remember on the sheets they gave us it says they rank the waitlist based on interview date as well as performance. So although I am not sure I would infer that a person who went onto a waitlist after someone else could by all means be above that person if they interviewed long before (assuming they did roughly the same in the interview)
but thats just my theory...just gonna keep waiting :)

There have already been a few people placed on alternate status that posted it (so obviously I am sure there are more) So I think you are still in a good position if you went onto the waitlist after being put on hold. I am sure there was something on your app that they wanted to look at again vs people who were put on the waitlist without being put on hold. And remember on the sheets they gave us it says they rank the waitlist based on interview date as well as performance. So although I am not sure I would infer that a person who went onto a waitlist after someone else could by all means be above that person if they interviewed long before (assuming they did roughly the same in the interview)

If interview date has anything to do with it then I have a better chance sin ce I interviewed very early: 9/22

I agree. You just don't know how good you did relative to the other waitlistees.I'm assuming its a random placement even though I know that's not true because the people added have an equal probability of doing better or worse performance wise.

But it doesn't matter because everyone is coming off the waitlist right?:xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.