2011-2012 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man the 2013 AMCAS just opened up.. Hope calls start rolling out soon or else some of us are gonna have to hustle! Anyone know if we need new LOR's?.. Someone on this forum mentioned we did.

I distinctly recall on interview day Dr. Calloway making negative comments about people essentially re-using the same application/letters/essays after making the WL the previous year. I think that at a bare minimum, getting some additional new LORs would be advisable if it proves necessary to reapply. I'm not sure I'd leave out any old LORs that are really important, but I'd definitely make sure there's something new in there.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG. So I am at my house, telling myself "today will be the day, they will call today!" Suddenly, my phone rings - Bethesda, MD on my caller id. I walk into my bedroom, pick up a pen, answer the call...

It was Raven Smith calling to tell me my Waiver (astigmatism) was approved. Gaaaahhhh. I think I just had a heart attack. Killing me people, freaking killing me.

OMG. So I am at my house, telling myself "today will be the day, they will call today!" Suddenly, my phone rings - Bethesda, MD on my caller id. I walk into my bedroom, pick up a pen, answer the call...

It was Raven Smith calling to tell me my Waiver (astigmatism) was approved. Gaaaahhhh. I think I just had a heart attack. Killing me people, freaking killing me.

Did you experience pain radiating from your chest possibly into your left arm?

Also I have the Fighting for Life documentary about the military medical care and USU. If anyone is interested I am willing to make a copy and let you guys borrow it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys and gals. I just wanted to let you know that I will be withdrawing my application today. I have narrowed down my acceptances to either OHSU or Wisconsin. I would still have loved to consider USUHS, as it really is a great school and fits me well, but I believe I will go the HPSP route if still possible.

I am waitlisted at USUHS, so maybe that will at the very least move SOMEONE up a notch on the waiting list. Good luck to all those still waiting, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you and hope one day to work alongside you as colleagues! CHEERS! (BTW, OOS, Army preference, being prior active Army, waitlisted since early February)

Alright guys and gals. I just wanted to let you know that I will be withdrawing my application today. I have narrowed down my acceptances to either OHSU or Wisconsin. I would still have loved to consider USUHS, as it really is a great school and fits me well, but I believe I will go the HPSP route if still possible.

I am waitlisted at USUHS, so maybe that will at the very least move SOMEONE up a notch on the waiting list. Good luck to all those still waiting, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you and hope one day to work alongside you as colleagues! CHEERS! (BTW, OOS, Army preference, being prior active Army, waitlisted since early February)
Wisconsin is an awesome place to live, as long as you love cold and snow... Otherwise, great.

Did you experience pain radiating from your chest possibly into your left arm?

Also I have the Fighting for Life documentary about the military medical care and USU. If anyone is interested I am willing to make a copy and let you guys borrow it.
Actually, women often times have different symptoms for a heart attack...

Heart Attack Signs in Women
  1. Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
  2. Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
  3. Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
  4. Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
  5. As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.
;)

Thanks for the info buddy. I'm going to assume you helped me move up a spot. Thanks brother!

new to the site, long time reader. I just got the call and im in the 2012 Army class!! My dreams literally came true today. Im already active Army, didnt know if anyone with a prior service background could tell me what to expect in the coming months (new orders, clearing current station, if ill make OBC) Just got back from afghanistan and about to go on block leave, PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME! Excited to meet everyone in Aug.

new to the site, long time reader. I just got the call and im in the 2012 Army class!! My dreams literally came true today. Im already active Army, didnt know if anyone with a prior service background could tell me what to expect in the coming months (new orders, clearing current station, if ill make OBC) Just got back from afghanistan and about to go on block leave, PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME! Excited to meet everyone in Aug.

Congrats! I'm on the Army waitlist. Hope to see you soon!

new to the site, long time reader. I just got the call and im in the 2012 Army class!! ....... meet everyone in Aug.

Congrats and welcome home safe and sound! Since there's plenty of us WL'ers here would you mind sharing when you interviewed and/or stats if you'd feel comfortable? Been trying to get a feel for the acceptance probability and whether I should be really hustling on getting my app for next year together.

Again congratulations, and I'm sure you'll find prior service army here to answer and if not then check last years forums and msg those currently in ms-1. It's generally a friendly forum.

Been trying to get a feel for the acceptance probability and whether I should be really hustling on getting my app for next year together.
I have already started my 2013 application and I have good news! The AMCAS saved your activities from last year's (your current one) application so you only have to add new ones. That should save you a lot of time.

Congrats! Hope to see you next year

Last edited:
No AF movement at all yet? Congratulations to the Army and Navy folks who are coming off the wait list.

Does anybody here have any knowledge about switching from the HPSP program to USU? Specifically, my situation is this. I have the HPSP scholarship and a date set to begin COT. That date is May 30 because the school I have decided on starts in July. USU is still my top choice but when will it be too late for me to change. Once I receive travel orders; once I sign on the line; after any money goes into my account; or would they let me switch after COT and just shuffle money from one program to another? Any prior experience with this out there?

Anybody with any knowledge, I would appreciate your thought. Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad :)
No AF movement at all yet? Congratulations to the Army and Navy folks who are coming off the wait list.

Does anybody here have any knowledge about switching from the HPSP program to USU? Specifically, my situation is this. I have the HPSP scholarship and a date set to begin COT. That date is May 30 because the school I have decided on starts in July. USU is still my top choice but when will it be too late for me to change. Once I receive travel orders; once I sign on the line; after any money goes into my account; or would they let me switch after COT and just shuffle money from one program to another? Any prior experience with this out there?

x2. I am sitting on an HSPS as well! Information would be appreciated!

Has anyone been able to get in touch with Raven Smith recently? I lost about 35 pounds, and got my body fat form filled out and mailed to her on Monday. I called her and emailed her just asking to double check, but I haven't heard anything. What is the standard turn around time for getting an unconditional acceptance?

I'm just getting antsy as May 15th approaches :scared:

Has anyone been able to get in touch with Raven Smith recently? I lost about 35 pounds, and got my body fat form filled out and mailed to her on Monday. I called her and emailed her just asking to double check, but I haven't heard anything. What is the standard turn around time for getting an unconditional acceptance?

I'm just getting antsy as May 15th approaches :scared:
It might take a while to get a letter from California to DC... That said, I talked to her on Friday via telephone: 301-295-3088.

What is your acceptance status right now?

I think you should call Raven Smith or call the officer recruiter that dealt with your HPSP application as I am sure they would know more than anyone on the forums.

I think you should call Raven Smith or call the officer recruiter that dealt with your HPSP application as I am sure they would know more than anyone on the forums.

I have done both and both parties sort of skirt the question by saying that it is up to the Air Force and yada yada. What I want to know is has it been done before by others. Has anyone been in the same situation or have first hand knowledge of someone previously in the situation.

Here's to another week staring at the phone!!
RING BABY RING!!!

It might take a while to get a letter from California to DC... That said, I talked to her on Friday via telephone: 301-295-3088.

What is your acceptance status right now?

I was accepted Navy in October, did all my remedials and I think I'm cleared for all my health stuff, so my body fat was the final thing! I just want to sign my stuff and commit, I feel like I'm just sitting here. I'm a bit impatient haha.

If the dodmerb site were up ever, will my status change to something on there?

I was accepted Navy in October, did all my remedials and I think I'm cleared for all my health stuff, so my body fat was the final thing! I just want to sign my stuff and commit, I feel like I'm just sitting here. I'm a bit impatient haha.

If the dodmerb site were up ever, will my status change to something on there?

It's not going to be posted on the same site as where you filled out the initial physical and eye paperwork. It's on another DoD site (sorry I don't remember what one but I'll look and let you know). I found the remedial i had submitted to be updated on the site I visited, and that should also be the same site that the commission coord uses

I just withdrew my acceptance to USUHS - Army.

Interview: 12 January
Waitlist: 7 March
Conditional Acceptance: 12 March

Good luck! :luck:

gosh there seems to be an awful lot of us on the waitlist!

Got the call today, Army.

Interview: 12 January

Has anyone heard anything lately from Admissions? I am waitlisted now, and I have an entire household to move if I get accepted... I was just wondering if there is anyway I can get any information besides for this "wait and see" situation I am in now...

Has anyone heard anything lately from Admissions? I am waitlisted now, and I have an entire household to move if I get accepted... I was just wondering if there is anyway I can get any information besides for this "wait and see" situation I am in now...

simple answer-- no.

Since that would essentially disclose where you rank amongst others, and that's something they keep under wraps.

Most everyone on this forum have in some fashion or form tried to find that out-- as posted throughout this forum. EvanBaine had a similar situation and the best they sympathized with him was that he needed to hold out till may 15th or so. In any case less than a week to go then!

Last edited:
simple answer-- no.

Since that would essentially disclose where you rank amongst others, and that's something they keep under wraps.

Most everyone on this forum have in some fashion or form tried to find that out-- as posted throughout this forum. EvanBaine had a similar situation and the best they sympathized with him was that he needed to hold out till may 15th or so. In any case less than a week to go then!
I understand about them not disclosing our waitlist 'rank'... but even information like, "Hey, the wait list is still moving slowly," or "Yeah movement has started to pick in the last week..." Just, anything really. It seems to be moving a little now, but I only ever see postings from Army people. Are there any Air Force waitlisters out there? Technically I changed to a 'no preference' but still.

I understand about them not disclosing our waitlist 'rank'... but even information like, "Hey, the wait list is still moving slowly," or "Yeah movement has started to pick in the last week..." Just, anything really. It seems to be moving a little now, but I only ever see postings from Army people. Are there any Air Force waitlisters out there? Technically I changed to a 'no preference' but still.
I am an AF WLer and I am with you on moving a household. My wife and 5 children would like to know soon as much as I would. We just keep being patient but it is hard work. Good luck.

Just called in. They said the same thing. They won't know anything until May 15th but the movement so far has been similar to past years, even though this year is much more competitive.

Still hope!

I spoke with the admissions office yesterday and they told me that a lot of people had declined spots within the past week and they expect movement on the wait list shortly.

I spoke with the admissions office yesterday and they told me that a lot of people had declined spots within the past week and they expect movement on the wait list shortly.

I wonder how long the lag is between someone declining an acceptance to an acceptance being offered on the waitlist. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for the updates. I really appreciate everyone's responses... If the waitlist is moving like previous years, that is somewhat encouraging I think, Come on May 15th!

As far as lag time, I have no idea. I don't even want to think about it, lol.

I heard on this forum somewhere that the AF and Army waitlist exhausted last year. True?

I heard on this forum somewhere that the AF and Army waitlist exhausted last year. True?
I am not sure what to believe when it comes to the details. I read somewhere that the Air Force never gets through the waitlist, or just barely. I have heard/read everywhere that the Army list moves the most.

I am not sure what to believe when it comes to the details. I read somewhere that the Air Force never gets through the waitlist, or just barely. I have heard/read everywhere that the Army list moves the most.

Last year people got in off the ARMY alternate list.

Status
Not open for further replies.