2011-2012 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed on the 9th. Acceptance this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! I guess this means I am in the 25% that will not find out until next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on the 9th as well. I was accepted on the 14th. I went to UC as an undergrad, can't wait to matriculate there as a MS. UC is my top choice and I really enjoyed the MMI. You settle down after the first couple stations and it really flies by!

Aaaahahaha. I am in your lobby trolling your med school. Just kidding. I am sitting here peacefully minding my own business.

Good luck to everyone interviewing today.

I had so much fun at the interview! :D

More details to come after I grab some food. I am starving :laugh:

How long did it take for the acceptance letter to come in? Anxiously waiting lol.

How long did it take for the acceptance letter to come in? Anxiously waiting lol.

I interviewed on a Friday and was accepted the following Wednesday, so not long at all!

Accepted!!! I am so excited right now! I honestly thought I was, at best, put on the alternate list.I walked out of the MMI thinking I bombed it.

Accepted!!! I am so excited right now! I honestly thought I was, at best, put on the alternate list.I walked out of the MMI thinking I bombed it.

Grats! I felt the same way and what a relief! Also, most likely matriculating here. Love this school!

I still haven't gotten my acceptance letter (confirmed acceptance on MedOnestop though). Called them and somehow it got misplaced in the mail. Made them double check to see if it wasn't a mistake and that I really did get accepted. :D

So we just have to hit confirm on MedOnestop and we're good to go? No deposit or anything to sign and submit to the admissions office?

For those of you that have interviewed, did you notice that the tuition for 4th year on the sheet they gave us is different than the tuition on the school's website?

For those of you that have interviewed, did you notice that the tuition for 4th year on the sheet they gave us is different than the tuition on the school's website?

Most likely you were given new Cost of Attendance estimates while the website shows the old cost of attendance. The university is switching to semesters from quarters in August and that will affect how tuition is payed compared to the current amounts. The payment schedule is changing from 3,3,4,3 payments per year to 2,3,3,2 payments per year.

If the university continues with the 3% increase in tuition per year, the incoming class' tuition will most likely be the following:

Year 1(2 semesters): $28,434
Year 2(3 semesters): $43,930
Year 3(3 semesters): $45,248
Year 4(2 semesters): $31,070

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone confirm...
I currently live in NKY, so I get (mostly) IS tuition. But if I wanted to actually move to Cinci, I'd have to pay a year OOS tuition while I gained IS-status? Even though both places qualify for IS tuition?

seems like BS, but the lady on my interview day seemed to think it worked this way...

+1 - Rejected pre-interview by email this morning. No update to the online system that I could see.

Rejected Pre-interviews here as well. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted! I'm going to Memphis this weekend to cheer on UC at the Liberty Bowl - a little bittersweet. :rolleyes:

Anyone else get an interview invite today?!

IS, complete 11/3

I was complete around that time. I haven't been rejected but i didnt receive an II. Im OOS :(

Any current Cinci students willing to answer a few questions?

-Are lectures mandatory? If not, are they available via video or audio recordings in a timely fashion (i.e. later that day)?
--How much mandatory attendance is required during an average week?

-Are powerpoints and/or lecture handouts provided for each lecture? Are learning objectives clearly stated and concise?

-How often are tests given? Are they NBME-style exams or written by each individual professors?

-How much time off is there between the end of 2nd year and the beginning of 3rd year?

-Are there any elective rotations available during 3rd year? How much elective time/unstructured rotations are available during 4th year?

Thanks!

Damn, well hopefully you have some other offers. Best of luck to ya, I was expecting my rejection here shortly so I may be joining the club

Nothing yet, but still holding out hope. Good luck to you too!

I'm a second year, so i'm not as familiar with the new curriculum as a first year would be.

-Are lectures mandatory? If not, are they available via video or audio recordings in a timely fashion (i.e. later that day)?

Lectures are not mandatory. They are usually available later in the day.

Usually a couple days a week for a class or two, usually clinical or discussion based in nature. This is variable because Cincinnati is very flexible in scheduling.

-Are powerpoints and/or lecture handouts provided for each lecture? Are learning objectives clearly stated and concise?

Learning objectives - yep. Powerpoints - yep. Handouts - I don't think so anymore. They are making a shift toward textbooks.

-How often are tests given? Are they NBME-style exams or written by each individual professors?

This is covered at the interview, I believe. I forget the specifics, and it is variable depending on the block that you are in. As a second year i am used to exams every 3 to 6 weeks. I think it is a bit less often now. Written by professors but in Step 1 type format.

-How much time off is there between the end of 2nd year and the beginning of 3rd year?

Don't know. Depends on when you take Step 1. They've added a formal review course in the new curriculum.

-Are there any elective rotations available during 3rd year? How much elective time/unstructured rotations are available during 4th year?

Not sure.

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I interviewed at UC early in December and was wondering if anyone had heard back from the Admissions Committee recently? I figured everyone has been on winter break but was hoping to hear back in December. Any recent news?

You have not heard anything or received any status update since the interview? I interviewed on December 9th and heard back on December 21st. It probably would not hurt to call.

Hey MMPman...I also interviewed on Dec 9th..It says online that it could take up to 8 weeks to hear back after the interview so I am not sure if I should call yet (I don't want to bother anyone)..though they did say we would hear back within a week or two..anyone else hear anything? Thanks guys! very anxious! loved the school!

can anyone confirm...
I currently live in NKY, so I get (mostly) IS tuition. But if I wanted to actually move to Cinci, I'd have to pay a year OOS tuition while I gained IS-status? Even though both places qualify for IS tuition?

seems like BS, but the lady on my interview day seemed to think it worked this way...

That is correct. If you live in NKY you get IS+~250 which is a much better deal that OOS 1 year followed by 3 years IS.

As a M1, I'm happy to answer any questions people may have about the new curriculum.
There are not many mandatory lectures after the EMT/First Responder Training. All lectures are audio recorded and posted within an hour of completion of the last lecture of the morning.

Usually there is manditory things in the afternoon. During the first quarter, we would usually have a 1-hour session 4 days of the week of either Radiology/Surface Anatomy or survey exams with Standardized Patients.

Powerpoints are provided(usually before lectures, but always up by that afternoon). They started off not as clear at the beginning with the physician and society course, but have improved dramatically since then. The facility was aware that we found them not to be clear, and has made changes to improve them. This is typical of what we've seen from the school listening to our problems and making adjustments to improve them for future classes.

For fundamentals(biochem), they were every 2 weeks with a final at the end of the block. Most of our other blocks are short 25 question assessments every Monday with an integrated final at the end of the block. There are some recall questions, but there is a focus on vingetts with application of knowledge style questions

-How much time off is there between the end of 2nd year and the beginning of 3rd year?As the previous poster said, it depends on when you take your USMLE. There is a review course that the school offeres.

I'm not sure, but if you send an email to the school(Dr. Gunderson [email protected] would know) they should be able to tell you a better answer to this and the previous question about time between M2 and M3.

Thanks!

Could a current student (ucbsmd or someone else) expand on the research opportunities available at UC? The website lists the MSSRP program but that seems to only involve a small number of students.

I have a quick question for any current student. I read in the financial aid information packet that if a student's spouse becomes employed in Ohio before classes begin, the student will receive in-state tuition right away. Can any current medical students clarify this for me?

I am married and I really like the school, but the pricetag is large, considering the last two years basically cost as much as a private school.

MSSRP is the main research opportunity. There is usually funding for about 20 spots. They have had opportunities through the departments of Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Radiology, Children’s Hospital, VA and others in the past.

They also send out information about some of the national research funding opportunities and research opportunities at other institutions such as Sloan-Kettering's summer research program.

If you dont want to do reasearch, they have the Urban Health Project. The Urban Health Project is a student‐run non‐profit organization that funds 25 eight‐week summer internships for medical students who have completed the first year of medical school.**Students are matched with an existent non‐profit community organization in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.**Responsibilities range from direct patient care to the social aspects of healthcare

I have a quick question for any current student. I read in the financial aid information packet that if a student's spouse becomes employed in Ohio before classes begin, the student will receive in-state tuition right away. Can any current medical students clarify this for me?

I am married and I really like the school, but the pricetag is large, considering the last two years basically cost as much as a private school.

That is correct. If your spouse begins their job in Ohio before the first day of class, then you are considered an ohio resident. If they get a job in Northern Kentucky, I would highly recommend living in northern kentucky. This will allow you to get the tuition reciprocity price which is basically instate + ~$250/year. Currently, there is no timeline for how long you have to have lived in northern kentucky before starting school to get this price.

That is correct. If your spouse begins their job in Ohio before the first day of class, then you are considered an ohio resident. If they get a job in Northern Kentucky, I would highly recommend living in northern kentucky. This will allow you to get the tuition reciprocity price which is basically instate + ~$250/year. Currently, there is no timeline for how long you have to have lived in northern kentucky before starting school to get this price.

Thanks for the quick response. Why would you suggest living in Northern Kentucky over, Ohio? Is the cost of living cheaper? How far is Northern Kentucky from the med school?

Thanks again!

MSSRP is the main research opportunity. There is usually funding for about 20 spots. They have had opportunities through the departments of Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Radiology, Children’s Hospital, VA and others in the past.

They also send out information about some of the national research funding opportunities and research opportunities at other institutions such as Sloan-Kettering's summer research program.

If you dont want to do reasearch, they have the Urban Health Project. The Urban Health Project is a student‐run non‐profit organization that funds 25 eight‐week summer internships for medical students who have completed the first year of medical school.**Students are matched with an existent non‐profit community organization in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.**Responsibilities range from direct patient care to the social aspects of healthcare

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I am interested in research and was wondering if there generally were opportunities available for everyone who was interested or if it was fairly competitive. I know that UC is a huge research university but that doesn't necessarily translate to a lot of med students doing research.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I am interested in research and was wondering if there generally were opportunities available for everyone who was interested or if it was fairly competitive. I know that UC is a huge research university but that doesn't necessarily translate to a lot of med students doing research.

I know that there are some people who want to do research that don't get the funding from that program. Because of the proximity to Cincinnati Children's Hospital and the fact that they have boat loads of NIH and private funding, its possible to find a project over there that you can be funded to work on. If this is your plan, you'll probably want to find an investigator early and begin discussing projects so they can get the funding in place. A few M2's took this route last summer.

II yesterday for 1/23! IS, complete 9/15

A little nervous about the MMI format but very excited!!

Accepted :D. I am super shocked :eek: but stoked :soexcited:. :luck:

Cancelled all my interviews after this acceptance. Common Tufts, Case, and NYU - send me those invites already!

Grats! You JUST made it on time before they send out straight waitlists. On Dec 9th, they had already accepted 250/340 students. Probably close to 300 acceptees now.

MMI is fun! Don't sweat it!

Accepted :D. I am super shocked :eek: but stoked :soexcited:. :luck:

Congratulations! Out of the schools you have interviewed at, where does Cincinnati rank? I was very impressed by the interview day. The facilities, the curriculum, and the hospitals all seem great. Plus, the study areas just look cool!

Again, congrats and good luck with your decision.

Grats! You JUST made it on time before they send out straight waitlists. On Dec 9th, they had already accepted 250/340 students. Probably close to 300 acceptees now.

MMI is fun! Don't sweat it!

Thanks! Glad I made it before the cutoff

Status
Not open for further replies.