2011-2012 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on which day of the week it might be?

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on which day of the week it might be?

Lol....good to know I'm not the only crazy person fixated on the possibility of news this week. Thoughts? Yes: calls will come at the last possible moment on Friday allowing for maximum excruciating-ness.

Lol....good to know I'm not the only crazy person fixated on the possibility of news this week. Thoughts? Yes: calls will come at the last possible moment on Friday allowing for maximum excruciating-ness.

bahahaha. That's funny...and irritatingly true I am sure!

And no, you are not the only crazy one...haha. :welcome:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd so love to hear soon but I'm trying hard to just anticipate March! Lol

I am right there with you...trying REALLY hard to keep convincing myself that March will be the time! Knowing that it could possibly be earlier is killing me!

Is Colorado receptive to pre-interview updates, e.g. on fall grades?

They don't accept updates and are very adamant about not sending them updates of any kind.

Yeah unfortunately they don't accept updates I wanted to send one in and checked to be sure and they don't

Per Dr. Winn, updates are okay POST-interview, although they will NOT be added to your file. (What impact they have, then, is probably questionable, but I do recall him saying that on my interview day.)

Also, in another thread, someone called the admissions office and confirmed that the Sondheimer Rule is still in effect at CU (i.e., 500+ hrs of clinical experience is still expected/strongly suggested of all applicants).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least some of you guys will get a non-denominational winter holiday present from CU

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least some of you guys will get a non-denominational winter holiday present from CU

I just got an emai from CU Denver Undergradute Admissions...subject "Happy Holidays." Oh my....When I saw CU in the "from"...should be illegal to deliver heart attacks via the web.

I just got one! Unfortunately it was only a Happy Holidays email from CU. Sweet and all, but also a but cruel right this second.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an emai from CU Denver Undergradute Admissions...subject "Happy Holidays." Oh my....When I saw CU in the "from"...should be illegal to deliver heart attacks via the web.

Lol this happened to me too.

I just got one! Unfortunately it was only a Happy Holidays email from CU. Sweet and all, but also a but cruel right this second.

Haha, I got the same thing. I was just thinking "you know what would be a nice holiday gift from you guys?..."

I was so excited hahaa. Cruel. :(

ACCEPTED!!!! Today. Just right now! Via email. OOS. Interviewed on 12/9. Beyond excited! Woohoo!!!!!! :D

ACCEPTED!!!! Today. Just right now! Via email. OOS. Interviewed on 12/9. Beyond excited! Woohoo!!!!!! :D

so, i guess those that were not accepted this round got the happy holidays email, huh, wow that really sucks :(

to kumabear, congratulation!!

Congrats!! So anyone waiting doesn't have another heart attack, the email would be from Ashley Ehlers.

Congrats!! So anyone waiting doesn't have another heart attack, the email would be from Ashley Ehlers.

where does it say its from Ashley Ehlers?
and i don't think its anything to worry about not receiving the holiday email, right?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!!

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Got my fingers crossed for you all!

The email's sender will be Ashley Ehlers. The subject will be University of Colorado School of Medicine.

I'm not sure what this holiday email is all about but I'm sure its okay if you didn't get one. Good luck!!!

The email's sender will be Ashley Ehlers. The subject will be University of Colorado School of Medicine.

I'm not sure what this holiday email is all about but I'm sure its okay if you didn't get one. Good luck!!!

i see, so acceptance email comes from Ashley Ehlers, thanks alot!! :)

Congrats kumabear and any others accepted today!

Does anyone know Colorado's post-interview rejection policy? Do they wait till March to send those out?

Interviewed Monday, ACCEPTED today! Best Christmas present ever!

6 SDNers so far, I think.

FutureCOdoc
studoc2468
BluegrassDancin
bassvp
kumabear
LingoLaine

anyone else?

Last edited:
Bittersweet...congratulations guys!

Looks like I didn't get the nod during my first review...fingers crossed.

Most acceptances so far have been for IS applicants, correct?

Guess I'm waiting til next year

Last edited:
Congrats Lingolaine! You definitely deserve this! I am always impressed by your knowledgeable posts and your strengths obviously shone through to the interviewers. Is that some sort of record? 48 hours?? Definitely the best Christmas gift EVER.

Congrats Lingolaine! You definitely deserve this! I am always impressed by your knowledgeable posts and your strengths obviously shone through to the interviewers. Is that some sort of record? 48 hours?? Definitely the best Christmas gift EVER.

+1 :thumbup:

This thread is awfully quiet. Hope you're all enjoying the holiday break!

Along with my acceptance, I feel like I've been given three months of my life as a gift... I just finished up two courses (biochem and human physiology) and felt like they would have helped me tremendously on the MCAT, so I was actually planning a retake for March or April. I also was considering taking another course or two at CSU (which would entail a pretty long commute) and now I won't be doing that either. Instead I'm going to spend the next few months volunteering (which I love) and doing home organization/improvement projects. I'm also looking for a good place to take some Spanish language courses... does anyone have any recommendations?

It's such a relief knowing we can stay here, don't have to sell our house, don't have to research schools for my children, etc.

Along with my acceptance, I feel like I've been given three months of my life as a gift... I just finished up two courses (biochem and human physiology) and felt like they would have helped me tremendously on the MCAT, so I was actually planning a retake for March or April. I also was considering taking another course or two at CSU (which would entail a pretty long commute) and now I won't be doing that either. Instead I'm going to spend the next few months volunteering (which I love) and doing home organization/improvement projects. I'm also looking for a good place to take some Spanish language courses... does anyone have any recommendations?

It's such a relief knowing we can stay here, don't have to sell our house, don't have to research schools for my children, etc.

I sincerely couldn't be happier for you! I smiled when I read this. A moment to enjoy life will be nice without the added stressor called "the unknown."

I know the past couple years have been stressful for my wife and I, trying to figure all this junk out (3rd time applicant!) But we do not have kids or own a home...so I can barely imagine the stress you have been under while applying to med schools! So Congrats! The next challenge: balancing it all as a med student! haha!

I hope to join you soon! :highfive:

Happy Holidays to you all!

Are you living in Denver? The Springs?

Your best bet is probably to get involved somewhere with Spanish speakers but w/o knowing where in CO you are, it'd be hard to make a good suggestion.

Are you living in Denver? The Springs?
I'm in Broomfield. Anywhere around here or the greater Denver area would work. I have no Spanish background whatsoever so I need to start at the beginning. I checked out Front Range CC but they've only got evening classes and I need days. I'm thinking about doing some sort of software course (i.e. Rosetta Stone) but would love to meet actual people live in person.

I'm in Broomfield. Anywhere around here or the greater Denver area would work. I have no Spanish background whatsoever so I need to start at the beginning. I checked out Front Range CC but they've only got evening classes and I need days. I'm thinking about doing some sort of software course (i.e. Rosetta Stone) but would love to meet actual people live in person.

I took a medical spanish class offered by a private company called Common Ground International. They have their classes on the Anschutz campus, my class was in Ed2. It's kind of pricey, but it was very good at teaching the basics of communicating in spanish and they emphasized medical terminology. I liked it because it gave me other students to practice speaking spanish with. There were about 10 students in my class consisting of practicing doctors and nurses to medical and dental students, and I was the only medical researcher.

You could use a site like livemocha to meet Spanish speakers on Skype and practice. As for a software program, I would suggest TellMeMore over Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone seems overpriced and doesn't really impress me. It seems more gimmicky than anything else. I've used TellMeMore and its more of a hybrid of the Rosetta Stone and traditional methods with elements of simulated immersion. However, if you can afford to, my best suggestion is to go abroad for a 2-3 months this summer. The program at UAG (in Guadalajara) is about $700/month (tuition + room and board) plus your plane ticket and around $100-200/month in living expenses.

Are interview invites still going out? 4 months and counting...

Been a big fan of LingoLaine since I started following this thread. Major congrats on your terrific success story

Been a big fan of LingoLaine since I started following this thread.

:bow:

Wow, I'm really not sure what I've said to trigger such special attention -- I'm just an old pre-med trying to keep up with the rest of you all -- but I really appreciate the support.

Thanks!

Same here! It's been 4 months! I got the your application is still the review process e-mail on Nov 29 from Dimple A. Pate, but still no word on the interview and I am IS :(

Same here! It's been 4 months! I got the your application is still the review process e-mail on Nov 29 from Dimple A. Pate, but still no word on the interview and I am IS :(

Just trying to figure out my chances! I am IS, 3.4 GPA, 30Q MCAT.
2 years of shadowing during undergrad. Graduated this June from undergrad but just spent last few months in Africa volunteering at a hospital. Volunteered at my undergrad's health clinic for 3 years. I submitted secondary several weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

Thoughts? :oops:

Hard to say, you're between the 10th and 50th%ile for accepted students MCAT scores there (slightly closer to 10th) and between the 10th and 50th%ile for GPA (much closer to 10th than 50th). The average IS applicant has about a 20% chance of making it in to the school (~50% interviewed and ~40% accepted out of those). Based on only numbers I might be inclined to say that you may be fighting an uphill battle (pun intended). That combined with the fact that you submitted your secondary in December and they first started accepting secondaries in early August solidifies my opinion. That said, your numbers are within range for accepted students at CU, it's just that having both of them lower than the average accepted student could be a problem. None of us can see your application, all your experiences or your personal essay, but numbers are still pretty big in this game...at least for opening doors.

Best of luck...I hope that my initial gut feeling is incorrect.

Just trying to figure out my chances! I am IS, 3.4 GPA, 30Q MCAT.
2 years of shadowing during undergrad. Graduated this June from undergrad but just spent last few months in Africa volunteering at a hospital. Volunteered at my undergrad's health clinic for 3 years. I submitted secondary several weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

Thoughts? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.