2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, upon scouring the previous year's posts it seemed that people in the decision pending pool received emails every month that stated that they were still being considered, is that not the case this year? I'm wondering because I only received one email after my december interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed yesterday! Had an amazing time and absolutely loved meeting everyone! Great lunch AND tour of the cadaver lab too!

Has anyone received financial aid letters yet or know when they will be sending this info out?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got mine as well. all fed unsub and grad plus. just curious, does yours say "COLLEGE: Coll Medicine at Chicago - CS"? b/c i was placed in rockford.

also...just making sure, sorry to keep posting, but...we don't need to do anything just yet right? like accept the loans or whatever?

also...just making sure, sorry to keep posting, but...we don't need to do anything just yet right? like accept the loans or whatever?
It doesn't look like it. Even though the state is broke and I didn't really expect to get any need-based I'm still a little disappointed.

It doesn't look like it. Even though the state is broke and I didn't really expect to get any need-based I'm still a little disappointed.
Got mine too. I'm OOS and the sticker price is $95.5k for the first year... Scary thing is that I need to ask them for another $10k so that I can support my wife and kids. Here's hoping that whatever hospital I end up at after residency allows moonlighting, cause I'll need to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day in order to pay the loan off before I kick the bucket.

Got mine too. I'm OOS and the sticker price is $95.5k for the first year... Scary thing is that I need to ask them for another $10k so that I can support my wife and kids. Here's hoping that whatever hospital I end up at after residency allows moonlighting, cause I'll need to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day in order to pay the loan off before I kick the bucket.

That's Illinois for you... I can't understand how the school is so expensive.
All loans for me too, definitely will not be attending this money sucking state school. Best of luck to everyone repaying those absurd prices, especially you OOS folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
All loans for me too, definitely will not be attending this money sucking state school. Best of luck to everyone repaying those absurd prices, especially you OOS folks.

The price, at the end of the day for IS is cheapest out of all my options.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm instate and thought the price was outrageous. Best of luck repaying those. I'm sure everything will work out in the end. I, on the other hand, will probably be withdrawing here as well. Best of luck friends.

Hi everyone, I can't see to find my University Identification Number (UIN) to see my financial aid, where did you guys get it?

thanks!!

Hi everyone, I can't see to find my University Identification Number (UIN) to see my financial aid, where did you guys get it?

thanks!!

In the email they sent notifying you that financial aid has been processed; should be after "UIN."

I think that financial aid package did it for me (I'm OOS); all I received were loans from UIC, and none of it is incentive enough for me to attend this school (apart from being placed in my last choice for campus site).

Good luck to everyone still in the running!:luck:

for those who got financial aid packages already - did you do anything besides send UIC your fafsa info?? I looked online and it looks like thats all you had to do to apply for aid...

I've been accepted as an OOS student as well. Like you, I am hoping for a little mercy as well (especially since I have 3 dependents). The cost of attendance is one of the major reasons I didn't even consider the Chicago campus, because I know that monthly rent would be about $1K more a month for me than the other campuses on top of the ridiculous tuition. I try to keep the OOS tuition in perspective. What's another $150K on top of an already gargantuan amount of money...

After reviewing the requirements for in-state tuition I found an interesting loophole: Staff members of the University and of allied agencies, and faculties of state-assisted Illinois universities, holding an appointment of at least one-quarter time, and their spouses and dependent children, shall be treated as residents. So it sounds like if you or your spouse get a job at the university while you're in school, you can get IS tuition. Not sure if that helps anyone...

Thanks Ahutni for the link to that housing site. That looks like a great resource. Also thanks Snoopy for posting this years match lists for Rockford and Peoria.

Hey Thanks for pointing that out about getting a job. I will call financial aid and see if thats really true. But as to your whats $150,000 on a already large sum point. are you serious? you need to sit down and do the actual math. thats not just $150,000 thats an extra $150,000 of principal that will sit and collect interest and capitlize while you are a student and in residency. thats between 300k more youll owe when your done with residency and an extra 500k youll pay back in 10 years. The numbers are staggering youll be paying 7-10k a month in student loan payments when your an attending. An OOS student at UIC could easily accrue 700k worth of principal by the time they are done with residency and pay back over a million dollars!

Hey Thanks for pointing that out about getting a job. I will call financial aid and see if thats really true. But as to your whats $150,000 on a already large sum point. are you serious? you need to sit down and do the actual math. thats not just $150,000 thats an extra $150,000 of principal that will sit and collect interest and capitlize while you are a student and in residency. thats between 300k more youll owe when your done with residency and an extra 500k youll pay back in 10 years. The numbers are staggering youll be paying 7-10k a month in student loan payments when your an attending. An OOS student at UIC could easily accrue 700k worth of principal by the time they are done with residency and pay back over a million dollars!
In loan taken alone it's about $150k. If you're an IS student you're still likely to crack the $300k mark before interest, especially if you're on the Chicago track because of the difference in the cost of living plus likely tuition increases. I am well aware of the miracle of compound interest, I was just making light of a rather insane situation. Point of the matter is that this is an expensive endeavor at an expensive state school.

$7-10k a month may sound insane, and it is, but you can still bring home a 6 figure salary after that, depending on your specialty, so you'll still be in good shape. I didn't go into this to be a rich. However, due to the cost of tuition I can tell you that I won't be going into family medicine or pediatrics because I would not be able to pay those loans.

Hi everyone, upon scouring the previous year's posts it seemed that people in the decision pending pool received emails every month that stated that they were still being considered, is that not the case this year? I'm wondering because I only received one email after my december interview.

I interviewed 1-18 and haven't received a decision pending email at all... And I haven't had a status change today either :( getting really anxious!!!

Nope. Still decision pending. Interviewed 2/29.
They will roll the change in status over 3 nights: Thursday, Friday, and Monday. I was accepted on a Thursday, others on a Monday. I know it's painful, but try not to read too much into it. Good luck!

Has any OOS applicant who has been accepted receive a scholarship from UIC? I heard there was a scholarship that covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition. Have they started handing these out yet? Do you need to apply for it?

Thanks

I got my Award Letter notification in my email today.

1) Follow the directions in the email: entrance counseling + MPN signing.

2) Called the adm ofc this AM: wait for a follow-up email confirming THEIR acknowledgement that you did the prior 2 steps and there's further instructions to follow in the follow-up email.

summer pre-matriculation program, anyone? who's excited?!

STATUS UPDATE WITH AN ADDITIONAL CORRESPONDENCE TAB!!

Trying not to get my hopes up, but still super excited!

I still have the decision pending status. Do you know if they send out status updates in a large batch or throughout the day?

I still have the decision pending status. Do you know if they send out status updates in a large batch or throughout the day?

According to the OldBones above, they roll out status changes, so you can hear Monday as well. Good luck! :luck:

Additional Correspondence tab!

I'm shaking from excitement and hoping the additional correspondence is an acceptance letter.

Good luck to everyone waiting for updates :)

When did you statuses change? I wonder if they will be updating them throughout the day or not again until Monday. I am still decision pending, however I interviewed this past week so it might be too soon for me. They said they would try to get to our decisions this week but maybe they didn't have time. Either way I am waiting anxiously.

I'm shaking from excitement and hoping the additional correspondence is an acceptance letter.

I am so jealous of you. You have NO idea. Congratulations!

:oops: I'm sure it's just a matter of time for you! I'm rooting for you :) :luck:

YAYYY congrats!!!

When did you statuses change? I wonder if they will be updating them throughout the day or not again until Monday. I am still decision pending, however I interviewed this past week so it might be too soon for me. They said they would try to get to our decisions this week but maybe they didn't have time. Either way I am waiting anxiously.

No clue. I checked at like 9am, then checked again a while later and it had changed. I posted right after it happened.

:oops: I'm sure it's just a matter of time for you! I'm rooting for you :) :luck:

YAYYY congrats!!!

No clue. I checked at like 9am, then checked again a while later and it had changed. I posted right after it happened.

Congrats...Welcome to the club..:highfive::highfive::highfive:

yayyyyyyy!!!!! :soexcited::highfive::clap::claps::banana::biglove::welcome::thumbup:

this thread is making me a hell of a lot happier than the other ssd i'm looking at. :D

Additional Correspondence. please please please acceptance letter.....

Additional correspondence as well!! Super thrilled!

So... do we know of anyone who received an additional correspondence tab which was NOT followed by an acceptance??!

Status
Not open for further replies.