2011-2012 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin. I'll be moving there with my fiance, though, and he's very good around the house. He can do the shopping-cooking-laundry.

Members don't see this ad.

#5 means you're in. The numbers change from year to year off the waitlist, but in the past few years, they've been pretty consisent at going down about 40-50 spots. Congratulations!

is this true? i'm at 34 now and was wondering if i should hold onto hope or not... any feedback would be great :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday.. good luck to all of you waiting! :)

is this true? i'm at 34 now and was wondering if i should hold onto hope or not... any feedback would be great :)

I was looking at some past years forms and it looks like it to me so there is hope. As always I say hope for the best plan for the worst. Good luck to you, I'm also waiting to hear back.

Accepted today at 9:00 a.m. I was 13th alternate.
Congrats djolson! To anyone that has been accepted off the waitlist,did you receive a phone call or an email? I will be out of the country at the end of the week so my phone won't be working. Just curious in case good news drop :)

It was a phone call. If you didn't put down someone else that can accept a position for you on the form for the alternate list I'm sure they would still let you have someone if you called.

Decent May 15th deadline movement so far. I need 35 more spots to get through, mas movement por favor!

I have a sheet to keep track of the withdrawals below my number as well, so I factored that in. I'm #68 so time will tell i guess!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why oh why oh why did I withdraw?

Last edited:
Hello All,
I'm a Minnesota resident, and i just withdrew my application to go to Iowa instead. So good luck to whoever gets in from the alternate!!

Just wanted to say how excited I am to be coming to MN and meeting you all in August!

I. DON'T. CARE. My family's house is not in Madison.

Have you tried re-contacting the admissions office? If you are truly regretting your decision, perhaps there is something they can do. You can't be the first applicant to have this issue...

You'd have some regrets about ditching out on the other school, too. Unfortunately, you just can't have it all. You'll get a great education and life will be fine at either school.

The best way to get over this is: Read posts of those with no interview invites or those that have applied multiple times without any acceptances.

Here's what you should do...sign up for a Tough Mudder, run it and in the process learn to quit whining - kids whine. Finally, be grateful for your acceptances and enjoy yourself before starting med school.

As a Tough Mudder I pledge that...

• I understand that Tough Mudder is not a race but a challenge.
• I put teamwork and camaraderie before my course time.
• I do not whine – kids whine.
• I help my fellow Mudders complete the course.
• I overcome all fears.

Have you tried re-contacting the admissions office? If you are truly regretting your decision, perhaps there is something they can do. You can't be the first applicant to have this issue...

It'd be awfully unfair to a lot of people patiently waiting it out on the alternate list if there were "something they could do."

It'd be awfully unfair to a lot of people patiently waiting it out on the alternate list if there were "something they could do."

No really. It may sound harsh, but the school clearly wanted the OP more than the applicants on their waitlist. If they were to put the OP in line for the next available slot, the waitlisters would be no worse off then they were before the OP gave up their original slot.

No really. It may sound harsh, but the school clearly wanted the OP more than the applicants on their waitlist. If they were to put the OP in line for the next available slot, the waitlisters would be no worse off then they were before the OP gave up their original slot.

I keep trying to contact them but that admissions office is an administrative cluster****. I can't find anyone to talk to me besides secretaries. No one's ever in.

In fact, if you are on the waitlist and you have not yet heard back, the reason is probably the same - the U of M admissions office is the biggest cluster**** I've ever seen.

I'm going to have to personally go over there tomorrow...

Here is the contact information for Theresa Baultrippe, the interim director of admissions. Email: [email protected] and Phone: 612-625-0655. She would probably be the best person to contact. Good luck!

Last edited:
I keep trying to contact them but that admissions office is an administrative cluster****. I can't find anyone to talk to me besides secretaries. No one's ever in.

In fact, if you are on the waitlist and you have not yet heard back, the reason is probably the same - the U of M admissions office is the biggest cluster**** I've ever seen.

This is a very busy time for them presently- cut them some slack. They probably don't have enough minutes in the day to pick up the phone for everyone who calls with a question/issue.

Also, I know there are many schools' admissions offices that look at SDN. Repeatedly referring to them as a "cluster$^%," to me, qualifies as biting a hand that could potentially feed you.

Also, I know there are many schools' admissions offices that look at SDN. Repeatedly referring to them as a "cluster$^%," to me, qualifies as biting a hand that could potentially feed you.

Particularly when your posts are this specific...

Wow. You have got to be the least mature pre-med student I have ever encountered. You made a decision. Period. Your decision was to NOT attend the University of Minnesota Medical School. It's over. Deal with it. Maybe you made the right decision by deciding not to go to the U. Maybe you'll be a better person and a better physician for it, gaining new and important experiences that you couldn't get in your home state. Either way, stop complaining on this board about a decision you made. Suck it up and deal with it.

Now that you've been accepted to medical school, you have a responsibility to be professional and mature with fellow classmates and patients from here on out. Maybe you should take this as an opportunity to learn how to act like that. I think I speak for everyone here by saying that either you are a great actor, or this school's admissions criteria is really messed up, because based on your posts on this board, I have no idea how they selected you for admission in the first place (particularly since they supposedly place great emphasis on emotional maturity).

I am afraid you will see a high maintenance physician a few years later...... Will you?

Wow. You have got to be the least mature pre-med student I have ever encountered. You made a decision. Period. Your decision was to NOT attend the University of Minnesota Medical School. It's over. Deal with it. Maybe you made the right decision by deciding not to go to the U. Maybe you'll be a better person and a better physician for it, gaining new and important experiences that you couldn't get in your home state. Either way, stop complaining on this board about a decision you made. Suck it up and deal with it.

Now that you've been accepted to medical school, you have a responsibility to be professional and mature with fellow classmates and patients from here on out. Maybe you should take this as an opportunity to learn how to act like that. I think I speak for everyone here by saying that either you are a great actor, or this school's admissions criteria is really messed up, because based on your posts on this board, I have no idea how they selected you for admission in the first place (particularly since they supposedly place great emphasis on emotional maturity).

lockian's already proven herself to be a rather entitled snot about medical school admissions:

surprise, surprise, my ****ty state school admitted me. the only way i'll set one toe in this place is if i get in noplace else. #52 research and #92 primary care, and higher instate tuition than some schools have out of state tuition.

i say good riddance to bad rubbish.

Maybe that's because no one on this thread is interested in listening to Lockian complain about having to go to an excellent American medical school (UW-Madison) on a big scholarship because she decided for herself that it wasn't a good fit to go to the University of Minnesota. I think we're all tired of the BS on these forums from people who aren't willing to do their own intensive research and accept personal responsibility. It's time for those people to be called out.

As for me, I am on the Alternate List here. My rank is decent, but who knows if I will get in. But I did get accepted at two other schools, and I had the chance to make the decision of where I wanted to go to school. It was a tough decision, but I though about it hard, and I'm happy with my final decision. I'm from Minnesota, and I'd like to stay here, but I also recognize the advantages of going someplace else. And frankly, I'm just grateful that I've been accepted to medical school and have had the chance to choose my own destiny. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be classmates with anyone who didn't feel the same.

Maybe that's because no one on this thread is interested in listening to Lockian complain about having to go to an excellent American medical school (UW-Madison) on a big scholarship because she decided for herself that it wasn't a good fit to go to the University of Minnesota. I think we're all tired of the BS on these forums from people who aren't willing to do their own intensive research and accept personal responsibility. It's time for those people to be called out.

As for me, I am on the Alternate List here. My rank is decent, but who knows if I will get in. But I did get accepted at two other schools, and I had the chance to make the decision of where I wanted to go to school. It was a tough decision, but I though about it hard, and I'm happy with my final decision. I'm from Minnesota, and I'd like to stay here, but I also recognize the advantages of going someplace else. And frankly, I'm just grateful that I've been accepted to medical school and have had the chance to choose my own destiny. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be classmates with anyone who didn't feel the same.

Valid points. People aspiring to be MDs should be expected to handle their admissions process thoughtfully, gracefully, and decisively.

Hello everyone!
To those already living in Minneapolis (or who are familiar with the area), would you recommend any particular apartments (single occupant preferably) that are walking distance to the medical school? Thank you very much!

Hello everyone!
To those already living in Minneapolis (or who are familiar with the area), would you recommend any particular apartments (single occupant preferably) that are walking distance to the medical school? Thank you very much!
Have you considered the medical frat houses? A friend of mine lived in one and really liked it. They are cheap and right across from the medical school.

How competitive is Minnesota for out-of-state applicants? Are the average stats for OOS about the same as the medians listed on MSAR?

How competitive is Minnesota for out-of-state applicants? Are the average stats for OOS about the same as the medians listed on MSAR?

As competitive as any out of state University is gonna be. The U is pretty heavy handed toward Minnesotans, and Duluth is even more so.

I wanna say for the 2011 cycle the avg MCAT was like 33, and cGPA of 3.75. OOS applicants are probably a little above those #s.

Have you considered the medical frat houses? A friend of mine lived in one and really liked it. They are cheap and right across from the medical school.
Thanks so much for your advice, the frat houses look great indeed! Any other suggestion? What do you guys think about on-campus apartment?

Hey everyone,

So as the waiting game continues for me at the U of M, I've heard several different numbers this waitlist can potentially get to based on the past. To anyone who has an opinion/some knowledge on this, I need 15ish more spots to move to be offered a position in this fall's class. Is that type of movement between now and August reasonable? Or will the movement halt over these next couple summer months?

Hey everyone,

So as the waiting game continues for me at the U of M, I've heard several different numbers this waitlist can potentially get to based on the past. To anyone who has an opinion/some knowledge on this, I need 15ish more spots to move to be offered a position in this fall's class. Is that type of movement between now and August reasonable? Or will the movement halt over these next couple summer months?

I would like to know what movement on the list at this point typically is as well. I have a lot further to move, but I'm madly in love with this school.

First, I should just mention that my knowledge of waitlist movement is only based on previous experience (and that of others during different application cycles). But I would say that at this point, unfortunately, your guess is probably about as good as mine. The remainder of the waitlist movement from now on should be related to people who are currently committed to the U being offered a spot at a different school and choosing to go to that school over the U. Obviously, it's impossible to know how many of those people are still out there. This also means that there will probably be a slowdown in waitlist movement over the next two months. However, I will say that there has been a lot of waitlist movement this year to this point in time (much more than I had anticipated), and in the past the U has gone down 60-100 spots on the waitlist. But again, it's really difficult to say how low they will go this year.

Anybody know how far the U has tapped into the waitlist?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a Tough Mudder I pledge that...

• I understand that Tough Mudder is not a race but a challenge.
• I put teamwork and camaraderie before my course time.
• I do not whine – kids whine.
• I help my fellow Mudders complete the course.
• I overcome all fears.

I think they were at 45 the last time I checked a few days ago.

Yes. As people get accepted off the waitlist at a different school, they might decide to go to that school over the U, in which case a new spot at the U opens up (for a waitlist applicant). But obviously, that won't happen nearly as often now.

Status
Not open for further replies.