2011-2012 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations!! It is exciting to finally read on here about someone from the waitlist getting their BRE. I feel like it gives all of us some hope!

Does anyone know how they order the waitlist? Does your interview factor in? And what role does your OU score play?
Quoted the wrong message on the post above ^

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! You said that your board member told you about your position on the wait-list? Do you remember who you had? Did anyone else get any feedback like this? I'm just wondering because my member made it seem like she had no information whatsoever on my position

I only had a 24 MCAT with a 3.98 gpa. However, my interview went extremely well. They told me so and it was super relaxed. So, I don't know if that played into it.

At the reaaplication workshop, I was reading my file upside down- while he was reviewing it- and saw a sticky note on the last page with a memo mentioning a good spot on the wait list. I couldn't read it all. He just told me over and over, "You still have a very good chance this year." So, then I got my hopes up and asked him if I was on the better part of the wait list and he said yes.

I only had a 24 MCAT with a 3.98 gpa. However, my interview went extremely well. They told me so and it was super relaxed. So, I don't know if that played into it.

At the reaaplication workshop, I was reading my file upside down- while he was reviewing it- and saw a sticky note on the last page with a memo mentioning a good spot on the wait list. I couldn't read it all. He just told me over and over, "You still have a very good chance this year." So, then I got my hopes up and asked him if I was on the better part of the wait list and he said yes.

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm really nervous now. As of today, Dotty said 32 had been taken off of the waitlist. My interview was also told a success, but the doctor at the reapplicant workshop did not disclose much more information. I thought my GPA and MCAT, 3.77 and 26 respectively, were close to those that have been accepted but I'm losing hope by the day.

And I'm not at home often to check my mail, but based on what my friend said I can check my email for a background check notification from AMCAS, for they should be arriving at the same day. Can someone confirm that this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm really nervous now. As of today, Dotty said 32 had been taken off of the waitlist. My interview was also told a success, but the doctor at the reapplicant workshop did not disclose much more information. I thought my GPA and MCAT, 3.77 and 26 respectively, were close to those that have been accepted but I'm losing hope by the day.

And I'm not at home often to check my mail, but based on what my friend said I can check my email for a background check notification from AMCAS, for they should be arriving at the same day. Can someone confirm that this is true?

I have been checking my email religiously for my background check and still have not gotten it. So, you might want to check your mailbox. My score once I plugged it into the formula was a 11.46. I found that a guy accepted the day before me was an 11.43 (I do live waaaay out in the boondocks of southeastern oklahoma so mail is often slow and must be taken into account.) With that being said you score in at about an 11.40 (If I did the math correctly)... so I say you should go check your mailbox. I calculated a guy who said he was accepted 2 days ago at about an 11.69, so I can't see a lot of people being between me and you on the wait list, honestly.

I know interviews play into it and other things, but if they stay true to their scoring system you should be close. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

TBH guys last year I was on the wait list until the very end. There's a few other things that go into it besides mcat and gpa like they say ur rank is. That isn't entirely the case as others whose scores were below mine still got in. Unofficially, it helps a lot being a reapplicant. They make the final cut around July, because they dont need 40 ppl on the waitlist with just 1 month left. Good luck!

TBH guys last year I was on the wait list until the very end. There's a few other things that go into it besides mcat and gpa like they say ur rank is. That isn't entirely the case as others whose scores were below mine still got in. Unofficially, it helps a lot being a reapplicant. They make the final cut around July, because they dont need 40 ppl on the waitlist with just 1 month left. Good luck!

half the waitlist this year is already admitted. Do you think movement on the waitlist will start to slow down now since so many have been taken off?

Yeah.. I think at one point around mid-june last year it slowed up pretty good. Seemed like everyone got off but me lol. I think they put me in the last quarter. But you really never know. Did u already accept OSU from what I read? I mean the worst you would do is lose a deposit if u get in at OU and change ur mind about OSU.

I learned from Dotty that as of Wednesday, it was still at 32 having come off the waitlist. There are currently 7 people holding multiple acceptances, though, so while the movement has definitely slowed, she does expect some more movement to occur.

She said that the number of people holding multiple acceptances has actually increased. There is a domino effect were people who have already been accepted at OU are still being accepted at other schools. So although the May 15 deadline has passed, that deadline was just for keeping your deposit money not a concrete day where everyone had to decide. The biggest movement that will occur off the waitlist was the jump that took place right after the May 15 deadline, but I think that we do still have some hope! :xf:

Don't lose hope yet waitlisters, I got my BRE yesterday!!! :D :thumbup: :oops:

My stats: MCAT-28 and GPA-3.60.

I just want to give a thanks to everyone who actively posts here. It provided a great support system for me throughout this crazy process. I look forward to meeting you all as well as the rest of our class at orientation!

Congratulations! I am excited to meet everyone, as well. Btw, there is a facebook page for Class of 2016. You should join for advice and if you need a roommate because there are a lot of people still looking for roommates.

Hello everyone, first time poster but I've been following the news on here for a while. First of all congrats to everyone already accepted! I am still on the wait list which is not ideal but I guess that is just how it goes. My interview went really well and I am a re-applicant; and after plugging my scores into the formula provided earlier I came up with 11.34 (GPA 3.65 MCAT 27). I've seen some people post their scores and the closest I can find to mine is 11.42 and I was wondering if anyone knows how spread out the wait list is? I can't imagine there being a lot of people in between 11.42 and 11.34 but I could be wrong (if the list gets "decimal heavy" ex 11.41999) I'm preparing for the worst (looking at taking the MCAT again and re-applying) but I'm also trying to stay hopeful that there might not be too many people in front of me. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hello everyone, first time poster but I've been following the news on here for a while. First of all congrats to everyone already accepted! I am still on the wait list which is not ideal but I guess that is just how it goes. My interview went really well and I am a re-applicant; and after plugging my scores into the formula provided earlier I came up with 11.34 (GPA 3.65 MCAT 27). I've seen some people post their scores and the closest I can find to mine is 11.42 and I was wondering if anyone knows how spread out the wait list is? I can't imagine there being a lot of people in between 11.42 and 11.34 but I could be wrong (if the list gets "decimal heavy" ex 11.41999) I'm preparing for the worst (looking at taking the MCAT again and re-applying) but I'm also trying to stay hopeful that there might not be too many people in front of me. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

First of all, I do not think that you are wrong to stay hopeful and I wish you the best of luck. I was just accepted of the waitlist not long ago, so there is still movement occurring.

I would suggest contacting Dotty. She is very helpful. Ask her how many have been taken off the waitlist and how many people who have been accepted are still holding multiple acceptances. If there is still a decent amount of people holding multiple acceptances, then there is a good chance that more movement will still occur.

I do think you need to prepare for the worst, though. There is at least one other person who has been posting here that seems to have a score in between yours and mine. Also, for the at least 33 people who have been taken off the waitlist, only a handful have posted here. So there are also a lot of people who we have no idea what their scores are.

If you want to be considered for an October interview, you have to have your new MCAT score by 9/1. That means the last possible MCAT you could take would be on Friday, July 27 (if that MCAT is being offered in your area). The last Saturday MCAT you could take is July 14. That is less than a month away, so without trying to sound harsh, I think it would be in your best interest to start preparing. I hope that you are accepted, but you need to be prepared if you are not so that you do not go through this again. I retook the MCAT on May 19 and I have now been accepted. I will tell you that although it sucks to retake the MCAT, it was not a bad refresher anyways and I do not regret preparing for it even though it was now unnecessary.

I'm sorry if this was not what you wanted to hear. I do think you have a great chance to get in and I really wish you the best, but you will regret not preparing and then not getting in more than you will regret preparing then being accepted.

does anybody know how many are still left on the waitlist? i think the movement has slowed down considerably, which isn't a good news for us waitlister...

Members don't see this ad :)
as of today.. 43 have been taken off the list and 3 holding multiple acceptances..

Thank you skiCO15 for the advice. Also does anyone know if there is any credence to the rumors I have been hearing that they (OU and other medical schools) select people off of the waitlist to make the class look more diverse? For instance if the class has more females, they will compensate by taking more males off the waitlist in order to make their numbers look better. The reason I ask is because OU's class as of Second Look was roughly 65% male and I'm wondering if that could be happening here..

Thank you skiCO15 for the advice. Also does anyone know if there is any credence to the rumors I have been hearing that they (OU and other medical schools) select people off of the waitlist to make the class look more diverse? For instance if the class has more females, they will compensate by taking more males off the waitlist in order to make their numbers look better. The reason I ask is because OU's class as of Second Look was roughly 65% male and I'm wondering if that could be happening here..

I was taken off wait list and I am female and Native American. However, my score using their formula was right there with the people getting accepted at the same time as me. So, I can't tell you for sure.

I have never heard of this happening. My class was around 65% male at the beginning of school, so that may just be what the demographics at OU tend to look like.

I second the notion that it is unlikely the deviate from the ordered waitlist numbers.

Btw, congrats Knitress on your recent 270 on step 1

I heard the Alumni Association was donating free steths to our class. Does anyone know what kind of scope? I'm bad with surprises :oops:

Every year they donate a Littman classic II

Lol are there ones that you were hoping to get?

Haha, a free steth is a free steth. I'm all about free :D

I believe anything better than a Fisher Price scope would sound just fine to my ears.

Haha, a free steth is a free steth. I'm all about free :D

I believe anything better than a Fisher Price scope would sound just fine to my ears.

I'm with you, I'll take anything and feel cool just because I will own a stethoscope.

For the rest of us waitlisters, should we expect any movement at all in July since school is starting up pretty soon?

Not completely sure, but it's getting pretty late.

well as of today, 43 people have been taken off the list and none of them are holding multiple acceptances.. :[

Hey guys, anyone want to buy my spot in the class? Haha jk. I was accepted here sometime in May, but unfortunately I will not be able to attend here. I plan to drop my spot pretty soon. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

Hey guys, anyone want to buy my spot in the class? Haha jk. I was accepted here sometime in May, but unfortunately I will not be able to attend here. I plan to drop my spot pretty soon. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

If you don't mind... why aren't you going to attend? Did you have an issue with the school?

No not at all, OU is a great program. Just for personal reasons I won't be going.

There's probably a better place to post this and I just can't find it, but I have a question about OU.

I live OOS, but was born and lived in Oklahoma for seven years. My older brother also recently attended undergrad at OU as well. I don't have any family ties, but we do have many family friends that we're still in touch with.

How are they as far as OOS tuition? Is it fairly easy to establish residency and get IS, or would I probably have to pay OOS tuition for the duration of school?

Appreciate any help, or a point in the right direction to find out.

More on topic, congrats to you guys on your acceptances!

Last edited:
Thought I'd post this for people looking at multiple schools:
The Class of 2014 is the first class that took step 1 with the curriculum change. Most of the scores came back this week and for the first time in a long time the class average was well above national average (national average was 224 and class average was 229). With the older curriculum, the class average was close but under national average and the last year, under the old curriculum the class had one of the highest fail rates in a long time.

Hope this info helps in your decision process

hey guys, anyone want to buy my spot in the class? Haha jk. I was accepted here sometime in may, but unfortunately i will not be able to attend here. I plan to drop my spot pretty soon. Good luck to all you waitlisters!

i'll take it!!

I was wondering if you have dropped your spot yet..dotty said there are two more waitlisters that were taken off..leaving only 15 of us left....i thought my stats were good enough to get in, but i'm losing hope by the day.... =(

thats exactly how i feel.. :/

I have just received a background check from aamc. But I have yet to receive any bre letter. I don't know what does this mean? Does waitlisters get background check info too?

I have just received a background check from aamc. But I have yet to receive any bre letter. I don't know what does this mean? Does waitlisters get background check info too?

I am pretty sure I didn't get one until after my BRE. Seems like a good sign to me...

Worst case scenario, they are just getting you ready because you are at the top of the list and they know they typically lose somebody that first week.

just got a letter in the mail saying that my application will be deactivated :/
gluck to the class of 2016.. hope to see you guys next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.