2011-2012 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, does anyone know how UT chooses who receives scholarships? Is there a separate application process, or are people just chosen based on stats?

Thanks!

II on 1/31. My interview will be on March 5th -- I was told they're booked until Feb 23rd. Excited to interview! I'm IS and accepted to UC already, so UT is really the only other school I'll be considering. I know it's a great school (I'm from Toledo, went to St. Francis HS right down the street!) and can't wait to see what UTMC is all about.

Good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear back. I've heard they're a little behind this cycle, so here's hoping they get out more II soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone know how UT chooses who receives scholarships? Is there a separate application process, or are people just chosen based on stats?

Thanks!

I'm going from memory, but I'm pretty sure everyone is automatically considered for several merit scholarships. However, I think I remember being told that there is one that we have to apply for to be considered. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

In the past, for the vast majority of scholarships aimed at incoming students (there are a separate scholarships available to continuing students), the process has been automatic - you'll be considered, by the admission committee, based on your qualifications. The one exception that i know of is the Ryerson scholarship, where all incoming students are invited to apply. When I went through the admissions process, we were sent a short (~1 page) application for the Ryerson scholarship sometime in late May or perhaps early June. More details on this scholarship and descriptions of other available scholarships can be found at: http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/scholarships.html

Can anyone give me any information about UTCOM? I'm considering applying to Toledo. The last thread is three or four years old. Just wondering what's changed in that time. Thanks!

Can anyone give me any information about UTCOM? I'm considering applying to Toledo. The last thread is three or four years old. Just wondering what's changed in that time. Thanks!

What do you want to know?
Merging with "University of Toledo" school-specific thread

is there any research available at the school? what's the school's reputation like?

Does anyone know if Toledo is still extending interview invitations? If so, does the admissions office accept update letters?

Does anyone know if Toledo is still extending interview invitations? If so, does the admissions office accept update letters?

Heres a few things from the forum. Read through old posts, there may be more info.

Soooo, I called admissions today. The lady over the phone was super nice and confirmed that interviews run until April. ...The wait continues.

Interview invite yesterday! I sent an update letter about a week ago and recieved an email saying it was put in my file. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear- I scheduled my interview for the last full week of January so it doesnt seem like they are sending out invites too far in advanced.

is there any research available at the school? what's the school's reputation like?

Here is is what I learned at my interview day:

There are definitely some research opportunities available, but my takeaway is that you probably need to seek them out more than you might at other schools. One of my interviews was with a researcher and he said that it's possible to get involved in research during the summer between M1 and M2. There is also an MD/PhD program. Anyone feel free to correct me or add on, I'm just going from memory.

I can't really speak to the school's reputation because I don't really know, but all of the students seemed really happy there and I felt that the administration is centered around the students and very receptive to changes that students feel need to be made.

Yes there are plenty of research opportunities. Many students chose to take part in a summer research program. You really don't have a lot of time for research your first two years at most schools outside of the summers.

Its solid. Look at their match list. 5 Matched urology this year (hard as hell to match).

Members don't see this ad :)
If there any current medical students on here could you please answer some questions. I haven't found the website to be particularly helpful. :)

1. What do you think makes Toledo unique?

2. Was this your first choice? And if you could do it all over again would you choose Toledo?

3. What do you like most and least about Toledo?

4. What is the minority representation like on campus?

5. Are there any support systems in place for incoming minority students?

6. I really want to work in an underserved community after I am finished with everything so are there any opportunities to work in that community early on?

THANKS!

Research is indeed available. Many students choose to spend the summer between M1 and M2 doing research that is sponsored by the university (so you do get paid and you receive graduate credit for it). Within the confines of this summer program (which officially lasts for 10 weeks, meaning you get paid for 10 weeks, but you can, by all means, continue it past the summer) there are generally a large variety of opportunities available - including basic, clinical, and transitional projects. To give you an idea of specific projects, you can find abstracts for projects that have been done in the past here: http://www.utoledo.edu/studentaffairs/hsc/summeropp/utresearch.html (see the bottom of the page). In addition, as an academic institution, nearly every basic and clinical science department will have some sort of research being conducted - most principal investigators are generally more than willing to have medical students help with the project - especially if they don't have to pay you :). As someone mentioned above, there is also an MD/PhD program available.

In terms of reputation, as someone pointed out, check out the match list (available here - http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/matchday/index.html), I honestly think it's very good (AND it gets better every year). Some highlights of last year's match list are 4 students matching in ophthalmology, 10 students matching in diagnostic radiology (including 1 student @ Duke - a top tier program for radiology), 2 matching in otolaryngology (including 1 at the Mayo clinic), and 9 matching in orthopedics, etc... In addition, it is my understanding that our board/Step 1 scores were at or above the national meaning last year and our pass rate was well above the national mean.

Research is indeed available. Many students choose to spend the summer between M1 and M2 doing research that is sponsored by the university (so you do get paid and you receive graduate credit for it). Within the confines of this summer program (which officially lasts for 10 weeks, meaning you get paid for 10 weeks, but you can, by all means, continue it past the summer) there are generally a large variety of opportunities available - including basic, clinical, and transitional projects. To give you an idea of specific projects, you can find abstracts for projects that have been done in the past here: http://www.utoledo.edu/studentaffairs/hsc/summeropp/utresearch.html (see the bottom of the page). In addition, as an academic institution, nearly every basic and clinical science department will have some sort of research being conducted - most principal investigators are generally more than willing to have medical students help with the project - especially if they don't have to pay you :). As someone mentioned above, there is also an MD/PhD program available.

In terms of reputation, as someone pointed out, check out the match list (available here - http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/matchday/index.html), I honestly think it's very good (AND it gets better every year). Some highlights of last year's match list are 4 students matching in ophthalmology, 10 students matching in diagnostic radiology (including 1 student @ Duke - a top tier program for radiology), 2 matching in otolaryngology (including 1 at the Mayo clinic), and 9 matching in orthopedics, etc... In addition, it is my understanding that our board/Step 1 scores were at or above the national meaning last year and our pass rate was well above the national mean.

I've heard before, and I don't know if it's actually true, that UTCOM has had the had the highest individual USMLE Step 1 score in the nation. Meaning that one person did better than every single person who took the exam that year. Is their any truth to this? Also, do you know what the average board score is at Toledo? Thanks for the input so far.

Any news regarding granting interviews to OOS by UTCOM?

I know someone earlier mentioned that Toledo gives lots of scholarships, but anyone have any idea when merit scholarships will be given out and as to how much of the class gets offered a scholarship and if there are a certain criterion for specific scholarships?

Any news regarding granting interviews to OOS by UTCOM?

I had an interview a couple weeks ago and I am OOS and there were a couple other OOS people at my interview. They said they would be giving interviews until March or April so there is still time.

Interview invite today. I will hopefully schedule it in the morning! Stoked!

complete in July, oos as well. anyone mind sharing what living in Toledo is like? is it good for families? I've read some bad stuff about crime there. any thoughts?

complete in July, oos as well. anyone mind sharing what living in Toledo is like? is it good for families? I've read some bad stuff about crime there. any thoughts?

Like every other city there are good parts and bad. one direction from the university is a little rough, but the other is rather nice for families. There are also really nice suburbs (perrysburg, maumee, sylvania, ottowa hills, holland, monclova - which are rural, middle class, or very affluent - depending on what your looking for).

The pleasant surprise about toledo is that rent is rather cheap when compared to other cities.

I got an invite as well, but have been unable to schedule it. Has the scheduling person responded to your emails/calls?

I got an invite as well, but have been unable to schedule it. Has the scheduling person responded to your emails/calls?

Just keep calling. This was the case when I had to schedule mine as well but you'll get ahold of her eventually. I left a message once but then I just called several times a day for a couple days until I reached her.

For those who are still waiting for an interview invite, what's the last thing you've received from toledo? Last thing I received from them was in December. Anyone else in the same shoes as me? Thanks and good luck to all!

Anyone else waiting for a decision post-interview? When did you interview?

Hello all,

Sorry this is a little late, but I received an interview a few days ago as well. The scheduling went fine. I just corresponded by email, and it took around 1 day to get everything solidified. I am scheduled for March 8th, and I'm pretty pumped. I have a few ?'s for current students:

What is the atmosphere like?
What style is the grading system?
What do you do for fun?

Thanks! This interview makes me nervous because I have never been to Toledo, and I don't know what to expect. Good luck all!

So I went thru this thread searching for US News stats on this school on # of interviewed, # of acceptances offered etc etc. for IS and OOS

I couldn't find it, so if someone who has access to the US News report would be so kind as to post it up? Thank you! Merci! Gracias!

So I went thru this thread searching for US News stats on this school on # of interviewed, # of acceptances offered etc etc. for IS and OOS

I couldn't find it, so if someone who has access to the US News report would be so kind as to post it up? Thank you! Merci! Gracias!

Total: 545 interviewed 355 accepted
IS. : 308 interviewed 218 accepted
OOS: 237 Interviewed 137 accepted

any idea how full the class is? I'm oos interviewing in early March. will this interview likely be for a waitlist spot? hope not!

I Interviewed 1/26 and still haven't heard back. Anyone from around then heard anything yet? Helps even to post that you are still waiting, would make me feel better hah.

I'm with you.. I interviewed February 6th and I am still waiting. I called admissions last week and was told that it's usually a 4-6 week turnaround from the interview to a decision... here's to hoping :)

I Interviewed 1/26 and still haven't heard back. Anyone from around then heard anything yet? Helps even to post that you are still waiting, would make me feel better hah.

lol. i interviewed 1/19 and haven't heard a peep. these things always seem to get backed up. it'll come.

I interviewed on 1/26 as well and got an acceptance email 2/7. I'm not sure if the committee just reviewed my application much quicker or what happened. Good luck to those waiting! Its rather excruciating!

Hello all. Hoping your interviews are going well. I am an outgoing 4th year student at UTCOM and have a wonderful opportunity for a place to live for anybody interested. It is a two bed/two bath loft downtown. Very modern. Stainless steel appliances and granite countertops in bathrooms. There is a balcony and a roof deck with a pool and grills. It is one block from the baseball stadium and three blocks from the hockey/concert arena. There are also many great bars and restaurants within walking distance. If you are a social person, I can assure you there is no better place to live. I have been here for my entire time in med school. It seems to be the most popular destination for friends prior to going out. Nothing is better than never having to worry about transportation home from the bar. I have seen friends' places around town, and this place is second to none. For more info and pictures, PM me or call 513-678-0111. Nick.

i just got my acceptance email! interviewed 1/19. so that was pretty much 4 weeks for me. =D

i just got my acceptance email! interviewed 1/19. so that was pretty much 4 weeks for me. =D

Congrats!! I just got mine as well! Interviewed 1/26 so mine will be exactly 4 weeks tomorrow for those who are wondering about time frames. No worries if you don't get accepted immediately after your interview.

Weeeeeeeew!!!:D

Congrats!! I just got mine as well! Interviewed 1/26 so mine will be exactly 4 weeks tomorrow for those who are wondering about time frames. No worries if you don't get accepted immediately after your interview.

Weeeeeeeew!!!:D

To both of you... awesome! Congrats! Just interviewed a few days ago. The school is great. The interviewers were great. I personally really liked Toledo. And as far as cost of living, it seems to be pretty inexpensive.

Now... it's the waiting game. I really hope that I get some positive news here....

When writing an update letter, who did you address it to? General Admissions committee or Sandy?

Thanks!

Accepted!!! Interviewed Feb. 9th :D

Congrats!

I interviewed 2/6 and have not heard back yet... Think that means bad news??

Status
Not open for further replies.