2012-2013 Cooper Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really quiet thread. Let me ask this...was anyone else blown away by the description of Cooper's curriculum? I have to say I'm interested in how parts of it will work in practice.

It's a new school and in Camden lol a few more years will give it added credit.

Members don't see this ad.

are secondaries only sent after the mcat score is received? i have not received the secondary yet, but my mcat score has not been released yet and they just received my last letter of recommendation. thanks!

are secondaries only sent after the mcat score is received? i have not received the secondary yet, but my mcat score has not been released yet and they just received my last letter of recommendation. thanks!

I think secondaries are sent out automatically as soon as they receive your verified AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment about the environment of Camden and the safety of the city?

"In 2008, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000" -wiki

Can anyone comment about the environment of Camden and the safety of the city?

"In 2008, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000" -wiki

The numbers speak for themselves. It is not a safe city. I would not advise you to live there. I am sure there is enough security on campus but I'd be careful venturing out.

here is more info. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/camden/crime/

Last edited:
The numbers speak for themselves. It is not a safe city. I would not advise you to live there. I am sure there is enough security on campus but I'd be careful venturing out.

here is more info. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/camden/crime/

People applying to this school probably also applied to schools like temple and Jefferson... North Philly is a pretty scary place to live as well. Only consolation is that there are really nice places to live right outside Camden (like cherry hill, although more expensive).

I'm interviewing November 30th! Is anyone else going then?

I hope it's not too late by then. It'll almost be December :(

so, does anyone know anything about the "clinical" aspect of this interview day?...

Rejected today. 3.6/3.61/34. Weird since I received 3 II already, one being from njms... I'm also instate.

Rejected today. 3.6/3.61/34. Weird since I received 3 II already, one being from njms... I'm also instate.

When were you complete? I have been complete since August 14th and I haven't heard anything yet.

+1 rejected by email this morning, but I'm not really surprised because I'm OOS. Stats ~3.6/32. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected this morning, but I'm not surprised. OOS, 32R, 3.88 cgpa, 3.8 sgpa

Members don't see this ad :)
Also rejected this morning, OOS.

My first rejection. In state 3.87/31. Good luck to everybody!

Rejected this morning via email. 3.5, 30, in state, complete 8/20. Good luck, everyone!

I was rejected on 9/5 as well. 3.5GPA/3.6sGPA, 33Q MCAT, instate, completed since 8/8. Oh well, keep your heads up everyone!

oh lord, this school seems very selective. What is the entering class profile for 2016? Does anyone know? Camden isn't actually that selective depending on where.

oh lord, this school seems very selective. What is the entering class profile for 2016? Does anyone know? Camden isn't actually that selective depending on where.

CMSRU is extremely service-oriented. High GPA/MCAT is obviously a major benefit for interviews and acceptances, but service is a big, big deal. (I'm part of the 2016 class, btw, just for reference.) It's a huge part of the school's entire motto. There are quite a few OOSers here in the first class, so that's also not exactly a make-or-break deal. A few from California, some from up in the New England area, etc. Mostly IS, but it's a good mix.

Also, for those worrying about safety and such, don't let it sway your opinion too much. Sure, Camden's not exactly known for it's lack of crime, but the area the hospital and school are in is one of the nicer places in the city, and as long as you're just as vigilant as you would be at any other school within a city like Philly or New York, even, you should be fine. My cousin and Aunt have both worked at Cooper for years, and there have never been any criminal incidents in that area involving any of the hospital staff.

Just don't go trying to buy drugs or anything at a street corner or walk the streets late at night, and you should be fine. Also, whenever I walk around outside I always see some sort of cop or security personnel, so it makes you feel safer.

If you guys have any questions about the curriculum and such, feel free to ask. I'll try to explain what's going on here at CMSRU so far to the best of my ability. :) It's a really awesome program, to be honest, I'm glad I chose this school.

I received my II 8/10, one day after I sent in my secondary. Please also know that I have volunteered at the hospital since I began high school (looong before there was a med school and have put in over 500 hours) and had a nice letter of recommendation from my time working there. My secondary focused on the community aspect of Camden and how working in Camden during my time volunteering has impacted my view of medicine.

To those with a service oriented application, I think Cooper will definitely consider you a strong applicant, just stay patient!

My stats: 3.5cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 32 MCAT, instate

I have similar stats and got an II a week ago. OOS, and I've been involved in a lot of volunteering and philanthropy since 2008.

Sent from my Nexus 7

has anybody done their interview already ? how was the OSCE style interview? Any tips ? Thanks

Rejected this morning 3.5cGPA/32M :( completed 9/1

rejected today as well. in-state, 3.62 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa, 32S. application completed about a week ago. quite a quick turn-around lol.

they do seem to stress very highly the display of community service. that is a very admirable aim for a school to have. good luck to everyone that got II's.

CMSRU is extremely service-oriented. High GPA/MCAT is obviously a major benefit for interviews and acceptances, but service is a big, big deal. (I'm part of the 2016 class, btw, just for reference.) It's a huge part of the school's entire motto. There are quite a few OOSers here in the first class, so that's also not exactly a make-or-break deal. A few from California, some from up in the New England area, etc. Mostly IS, but it's a good mix.

Also, for those worrying about safety and such, don't let it sway your opinion too much. Sure, Camden's not exactly known for it's lack of crime, but the area the hospital and school are in is one of the nicer places in the city, and as long as you're just as vigilant as you would be at any other school within a city like Philly or New York, even, you should be fine. My cousin and Aunt have both worked at Cooper for years, and there have never been any criminal incidents in that area involving any of the hospital staff.

Just don't go trying to buy drugs or anything at a street corner or walk the streets late at night, and you should be fine. Also, whenever I walk around outside I always see some sort of cop or security personnel, so it makes you feel safer.

If you guys have any questions about the curriculum and such, feel free to ask. I'll try to explain what's going on here at CMSRU so far to the best of my ability. :) It's a really awesome program, to be honest, I'm glad I chose this school.

Services as in volunteering & clinical exposure or military service? Can you give any advice on what made your app so different from rest of qualified ppl? thanks. : )

Has anyone, who has been complete for a long time, not heard anything from this school yet?

At the first interview day they said they already had received 10 times as many applications as interviews they give out. So I'm guessing that's 3000+ applications they are trying to review right now. They're probably just really busy.

At the first interview day they said they already had received 10 times as many applications as interviews they give out. So I'm guessing that's 3000+ applications they are trying to review right now. They're probably just really busy.

How was the interview? What's your impression of how the school's running so far?

Interview Invite this morning! Complete 9/8, but the earliest interview i could schedule was Feb 1st, which i thought was werid...

IS
3.75cgpa/3.71 sgpa
30R

It's because they've filled up all the spots before that. Since they're only offering about 300 interviews this year, your interviewing at the tail end of the application season. And since they only want 50 people for the class, a lot of spots won't open till people start withdrawing their seats.

It's because they've filled up all the spots before that. Since they're only offering about 300 interviews this year, your interviewing at the tail end of the application season. And since they only want 50 people for the class, a lot of spots won't open till people start withdrawing their seats.
Ah gotcha. Thanks!

Has anyone who interviewed lately want to talk about their experiences?

I checked my status page today as I do every week or two and found an interview invite dated August 10th... I did not receive an e-mail and I know that was not there before. I'm not crazy. I'm not. In any case, earliest date was February 1st. Complete August 8th. 3.8/35+/IS-reapplicant

is it too late to apply here?

First post on SDN, couldn't keep myself from writing something as this thread is so quiet. Has anyone heard about acceptances yet? Did they send the midnight email like they did last year or have they just not started contacting people? Interviewed here in September and sitting on pins and needles!

First post on SDN, couldn't keep myself from writing something as this thread is so quiet. Has anyone heard about acceptances yet? Did they send the midnight email like they did last year or have they just not started contacting people? Interviewed here in September and sitting on pins and needles!

I'm wondering the same thing! I interviewed here on the 14th, and I remember them saying we should hear today if are accepted. Don't know when we will hear if we are waitlisted or rejected!

Had my interview last Friday (oct 12). They have a pretty legit setup over there, especially for a brand new school. Everything just smells so... New!

The deans, faculty, and students we interacted with were very friendly, and they certainly went out of their way to sell the school to you. For all that Camden is cracked up to be, they certainly stick out with their magnificent infrastructure.

Top of the line technology and a strong emphasis on active group learning (they only have 6hrs of lecture PER WEEK!) are two of the most attractive qualities, and the students seem to love the ALGs as well. I wasn't too sure of ALG/PBL till I heard it from them, but here students are placed into groups of 8 (groups made based on brigg Myer and similar analyses) and given two facilitators, an MD and basic science PhD, to guide discussion if it goes the wrong way.

If you guys have any questions let me know :)

They said it would take atleast 3 weeks to hear back, so nothing to look forward to for today from here, but they said they review every Friday's interviewees the following Wednesday. Forgot to ask how they notify us though :(

for those who interviewed here in September, when did they say we should hear back ?

How did you hear? Email/phone call?

Email just past midnight. They said also letter in snail mail and will call later today. Looks like email is the first notification

I also interviewed very early in the cycle.

Hoping for some good news.

I really liked the school

Same thing, received an email this morning! Interviewed on 9/28. First acceptance, very excited.

Same thing, received an email this morning! Interviewed on 9/28. First acceptance, very excited.

Accepted too !! interveiwed 09/28. I wonder who you are . Congrats anyway:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.