2012-2013 Cooper Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup. just got rejected :(. This was one of my top choices, so there's a little bit of sting in this one. Congrats to all those who got accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I was placed on the wait list a few weeks ago, but I didn't really read the email thoroughly out of disappointment. Went back and read it today, and this stuck out tome:

"Most established schools accept between two and three times the class size to fill each class. They can do this because they have years of experience that have led them to know the number of students who elect to attend another school. As a new school, we do not have that opportunity and we cannot have more than 60 students in our first class. This limits our opportunity to extend a full admit status.I expect we will go to our waitlist in 2013.

Please understand that our Admissions Committee knows that you resonate with our mission and will thrive in our curriculum because by having you in our wait list category means that you have been accepted contingent on the decisions made by those granted a full accept decision."

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does this sound like a "priority waitlist" situation? Or is it just pretty words to make us feel better about ourselves? The school seemed pretty honest, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a priority waitlist that was pretty much "If you're still interested in April, you'll probably get in, but we can't hand out too many acceptances because we don't know how many will choose to matriculate."

Thoughts?

So, I was placed on the wait list a few weeks ago, but I didn't really read the email thoroughly out of disappointment. Went back and read it today, and this stuck out tome:

"Most established schools accept between two and three times the class size to fill each class. They can do this because they have years of experience that have led them to know the number of students who elect to attend another school. As a new school, we do not have that opportunity and we cannot have more than 60 students in our first class. This limits our opportunity to extend a full admit status.I expect we will go to our waitlist in 2013.

Please understand that our Admissions Committee knows that you resonate with our mission and will thrive in our curriculum because by having you in our wait list category means that you have been accepted contingent on the decisions made by those granted a full accept decision."

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does this sound like a "priority waitlist" situation? Or is it just pretty words to make us feel better about ourselves? The school seemed pretty honest, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a priority waitlist that was pretty much "If you're still interested in April, you'll probably get in, but we can't hand out too many acceptances because we don't know how many will choose to matriculate."

Thoughts?

I too was placed on the waitlist a couple weeks ago.

I'm not sure if there is a "priority waitlist" this year, or what kind of movement on the waitlist we will ultimately see. From last year's thread there definitely was a priority waitlist as indicated in some applicants waitlist email. However, it appears that at least a couple of those priority waitlists never turned into full acceptances. Was probably a huge bummer for those applicants...perhaps the admissions committee dropped the priority waitlist language as not to be too misleading...who knows?

What this means for us, i think, is entirely up in the air. We have no idea how many people offered full acceptances will actually attend. Hopefully we will see some movement. I would love the opportunity to attend to Cooper!

On a related note, does any know if the admissions committee is receptive to update letters and such?

Thoughts?

I had the same email... the wording almost makes you think that since "having you in our wait list category means that you have been accepted contingent on the decisions made by those granted a full accept decision...," they are saying that they aren't giving "full accept" decisions to any more people??

That would be interesting

has anyone heard from Nov 9th interview? If yes, whats the status?

You have been put on the priority wait list of Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. Most established schools accept between two and three times the class size to fill each class. They can do this because they have years of experience that have led them to know the number of students who elect to attend another school. As a new school, we do not have that opportunity and we cannot have more than 60 students in our first class. This limits our opportunity to extend a full admit status.
Our Admissions Committee has chosen to have you in a select small number of applicants that will be the first to be offered a position as seats open. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University knows that you resonate with our mission and will thrive in our curriculum. Your academic accomplishments speak for themselves. Your overall application including the personal statement, the secondary application, and the letters of recommendation made it easy to offer you an interview because of the path you chose in these past few years. Interview day allowed us to meet you, to see you at the bedside via the standardized patient encounters and to get to know you through the eyes of our faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am on the "high priority waitlist"

Evidently there is a priority waitlist after all. This is probably a pretty decent position to be in...

Can't even speculate what it means for us regular waitlist folks however. I guess we'll all just have to...wait...and see...

Good luck to everyone!

Hi All,

I am new to this and have an interview at cooper coming up and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what the two five-minute clinical setting parts are like.

Thank you!

Can't even speculate what it means for us regular waitlist folks however.

Good luck to everyone!

Based on absolutely nothing but my own intuition, I would assume that people on the high priority waitlist will start receiving offers in the near future. Additionally, if you stay on the high priority wait list until April you will have essentially a 100% chance of an admissions offer. Us under-qualified gutter peons on the regular wait list have a much lower chance, and have no chance of hearing until March/April. Though, based on the wording (and the fact that the school seemed very honest and open) I would be surprised if at least a few people didn't get in off the normal wait list.

Hey guys. I have an interview in February and I would really, really like some advice on how to master it. To those who were successfully admitted, do you have any words of advice? Do stats matter after being given an interview?

Hi All,

I am new to this and have an interview at cooper coming up and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what the two five-minute clinical setting parts are like.

Thank you!

Don't worry about those; they're really easy and obvious answers, no medical skills required. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine

Hey guys. I have an interview in February and I would really, really like some advice on how to master it. To those who were successfully admitted, do you have any words of advice? Do stats matter after being given an interview?

Let your sincerity show through, as in any interview. Show your humane attributes. At least that's what I think they're all about which is what makes this school great.

Sorry to interject here but I've been following the Cooper application this cycle. I interviewed last year in November and was priority waitlisted but never got accepted. I know there were at least a handful of other people in my situation from last year's cycle. Of course, that was a year where the school only accepted 50 people.

I was accepted elsewhere and am happy to be attending my school but I keep following Cooper (and other schools) because (1) the admission process is fascinating to me and (2) I'm curious as to how the mission at Cooper pans out in the long term (I have a feeling it's going to be a really great institution which is cool to watch even from afar).

I didn't want to chime in to be a downer but it's tough to talk in terms of 100 percent chances.

Based on absolutely nothing but my own intuition, I would assume that people on the high priority waitlist will start receiving offers in the near future. Additionally, if you stay on the high priority wait list until April you will have essentially a 100% chance of an admissions offer. Us under-qualified gutter peons on the regular wait list have a much lower chance, and have no chance of hearing until March/April. Though, based on the wording (and the fact that the school seemed very honest and open) I would be surprised if at least a few people didn't get in off the normal wait list.

Thank you for your help! To probe a bit more, what were the scenarios like? Were they ethical? Or was it more to see that you are comfortable in a clinical setting?

Thank you for your help! To probe a bit more, what were the scenarios like? Were they ethical? Or was it more to see that you are comfortable in a clinical setting?

Both. They want to see your bedside manner and ethics

Hey has anyone heard from Nov 9 interview? Im waiting and waiting. Are they going to silent reject me?

at the nov 30th interview they said some of us would hear TODAY. fingers crossed!

tempted to call and ask what's up- will give them until 2pm or so and then maybe inquire- I don't think they understand how crazy it makes us when they tell us we will hear on a particular day and then it doesn't happen.

I interviewed Nov 30th and got accepted yesterday. They said that decisions are determined the following Wednesday night and candidates are notified on Thursday. Sometimes they do not finish reviewing everyone in one night, so they give themselves an additional week to decide and notify. They get back very quickly and made it a clear priority not to leave candidates in limbo. hope that helps!

I interviewed Nov 30th and got accepted yesterday. They said that decisions are determined the following Wednesday night and candidates are notified on Thursday. Sometimes they do not finish reviewing everyone in one night, so they give themselves an additional week to decide and notify. They get back very quickly and made it a clear priority not to leave candidates in limbo. hope that helps!

thanks for that info- I also interviewed the 30th and thought I had a great shot - my interviewer told me he would be presenting my file to the committee and recommending me "without reservations" but who knows what happens once the file is before the committee. Hopefully they just didn't get to me yet.

yea there were like 27 of us there that day, im sure they cant review everyone in one night. hope for the best!

Both. 2 interviewers at the same time, one open one closed

Both. 2 interviewers at the same time, one open one closed

Thank you!

Would you mind giving me an estimate of how many mmi scenarios they give you and how long you spend on each? Also, how long is the interview with the 2 interviewers?

I interviewed at Cooper this past Friday, and I was so impressed I felt the need to make a username for SDN to write about it. I'm not sure where to start-it's just such a unique school, and everything they do they seem to know exactly why they're doing it. Everything from their teaching style, to their community involvement, they seem to be doing everything right. They certainly do many things very different from nearly any medical school I've looked at-but I came away thinking the way they are doing things is the way other schools SHOULD be doing things! I was impressed at how much emphasis they put on making sure their students stay happy-even putting a second wall outside the anatomy lab so that they could have an 'exterior' facing wall and let natural light into the lab, to try to make it a happier environment....! They truly think of everything at that school, and the staff was simply amazing! Everyone was so relaxed, and informative. They didn't try to intimidate me at all, and the entire process felt unbelievably personable. Furthermore the facilities are unbelievable...you will be hard-pressed to find a medical school with all around top-notch resources like Cooper.

Altogether it was an immensely enjoyable experience. I was already intrigued by the school going into it, as it looked very interesting and unique on paper, but after my interview day experience I was simply blown away by it, and haven't been able to stop talking about it since. If you have a scheduled interview with them coming up, my biggest advice would be to relax, and go into it with a positive attitude. They want you to be yourself, and they want to see your real personality. Don't try to fake it, or give them a fake personality that you think they would like-just be yourself, and have fun with it! I hope I'm fortunate enough to get in, Cooper certainly seems to have a bright future ahead of it!

Did they mention when you might be hearing from them? Still waiting from 2 weeks ago- wondering if they'll be reviewing files this week.

Yes, they said that they would be reviewing files Wednesday night, and would get back to us Thursday. However, they said that if we don't hear from them on Thursday not to worry as sometimes they can't review all the files in one night, as they like to spend time reviewing each candidate as a committee, and will continue the next time they review files. So no worries!

I interviewed at Cooper this past Friday, and I was so impressed I felt the need to make a username for SDN to write about it. I'm not sure where to start-it's just such a unique school, and everything they do they seem to know exactly why they're doing it. Everything from their teaching style, to their community involvement, they seem to be doing everything right. They certainly do many things very different from nearly any medical school I've looked at-but I came away thinking the way they are doing things is the way other schools SHOULD be doing things! I was impressed at how much emphasis they put on making sure their students stay happy-even putting a second wall outside the anatomy lab so that they could have an 'exterior' facing wall and let natural light into the lab, to try to make it a happier environment....! They truly think of everything at that school, and the staff was simply amazing! Everyone was so relaxed, and informative. They didn't try to intimidate me at all, and the entire process felt unbelievably personable. Furthermore the facilities are unbelievable...you will be hard-pressed to find a medical school with all around top-notch resources like Cooper.

Altogether it was an immensely enjoyable experience. I was already intrigued by the school going into it, as it looked very interesting and unique on paper, but after my interview day experience I was simply blown away by it, and haven't been able to stop talking about it since. If you have a scheduled interview with them coming up, my biggest advice would be to relax, and go into it with a positive attitude. They want you to be yourself, and they want to see your real personality. Don't try to fake it, or give them a fake personality that you think they would like-just be yourself, and have fun with it! I hope I'm fortunate enough to get in, Cooper certainly seems to have a bright future ahead of it!

I've been in since October and I have to second this. I was a little iffy on the school going in but having interviewed, the place is amazing. They really seem to care about their students and the curriculum is exactly what I'd design if I were making a med school curriculum. The newsletter they send out is adorable. It's like a liberal arts school but medicine.

I've been in since October and I have to second this. I was a little iffy on the school going in but having interviewed, the place is amazing. They really seem to care about their students and the curriculum is exactly what I'd design if I were making a med school curriculum. The newsletter they send out is adorable. It's like a liberal arts school but medicine.
That's really nice to hear, bamboozlenator and niki9. Thank you for your posts! I'm very excited to be interviewing at Cooper next month. What newsletter are you referring to? And why are you so excited by the curriculum? What are your thoughts regarding the breadth of clinical experience? What kind of exciting opportunities do students have to experience all the different facets of medicine? Do you get the sense that it's geared towards students who are primarily interested in public health or addressing the needs of indigent populations? Sorry for my many questions. Thanks!!

completed: 11/28
interview invite: 12/17
interview scheduled for: 3/1

:)

Does anyone know if it is feasible to go to this school while living in philly?

@slothster don't apologize, all are great questions! I'll try to answer as best as I can (/as best as I interpreted things myself). The curriculum is very different from what you come across at most schools-I would recommend going to their website to look it up. I'll give you a quick overview though. First, they only have 6 hours of lecture a week. Yes, 6 hours. They have approached what is called 'flip-learning', which essentially I took away as the idea that you learn more practicing than being lectured to. It was founded by some hedge-fund man who found it more effective to give his daughter a ten minute brief lesson on a subject matter, and then having her go to school and working out problems-engaging and asking questions. Essentially "flipping" the normal status quo, where one is lectured in school, then does work at home. This allows the student to do the work in an environment where there is someone who can answer questions, etc. They facilitate this by having 6 hours of what is called an Active Learning Group (ALG) a week. These groups are super neat-for their inaugural class there are I believe 6 groups of 7 and one of 8 students. They make all the students take two different personality tests, and from these results they form the ALG groups, trying to make sure not one of the students in a group has the same personality. They have said the feedback from students has been amazingly positive, and not a single person has requested to switch groups. In these ALGs, you are given different cases, which you then work as a group to solve, using knowledge you've gained from lecture, reading, etc. These can range from medical to ethical cases. There's a supervisor/facilitator in the room as well in case anyone has questions. The rooms each group meets in are very spacious, and each has a smart board and white board. These groups help you to work through things yourselves, which I have always found to be the most efficient way of learning. I went to a Montessori grade school from k-6th grade, which has a similar learning style as this, and I found it remarkably helpful, and formative. Students can play off each others strengths and weaknesses, and you learn to work as a group, and problem solve.
Throughout all four years, starting right from week 3 you have something called an ambulatory clerkship (you can look this up on their website as well, go to curriculum map and you can select any section for more information). You form teams, with 2 phase 1 and 2 phase 2 students making up a team, and this is where you do all of your clinical experience. So yes, you will be getting clinical experience starting the first year.
Lastly, I think it's somewhat I like that. I think it is really a school for students who want to be interactive in their community more than anything else. It's not a school where you can simply go to class, then go home and study. They want you to interact with the population, and understand the relationship that can exist between a medical school and the city it is in (which is shown by the requirement of 40 hours of non-medical community service required each year. Anything from coaching a local team, to helping out in a school class, etc.). The citizens don't just learn from the students, the students also learn from the citizens. I wouldn't say it's only for students interested in public health or indigent populations, but it certainly is aimed at making sure its students are not only aware of their surroundings, but involved with them as well.

I hope that helps slightly...I'm sure they'll do a much better job explaining it all at your interview. It's kind of hard to really explain it all accurately on paper, but once you get to your interview, meet with the faculty and staff, and see the facility, and feel the environment, you'll really get it, and that's when you'll know if it's for you or not! But definitely scour their website over and over, I found that the more I looked over it, the more I found different things and programs they had that were unique and exciting! Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!

@jollybengali I think nearly half of the students live in a complex in Camden called the Victor. It's a little expensive, but very nice, safe, and close to the school. A good portion also live at home, as they are from the area. However, one of the students I spoke with lived in Philly, and she said she had no problem commuting from her place to school. So yes, I would say it is certainly feasible. But I would advise you to ask the students when you are there who live in Philly for more information-they are all super friendly and I'm certain would tell you all about their experiences!

Anyways, congrats to you both! Good luck with your interviews, and I hope that helped somewhat.

I had my interview on the 14th. The facilities are extremely nice and I had pleasant conversations with the fellow interviewees. The initial interview seemed particularly useless. The second interview was about my personal experiences. They liked the fact that I shadowed, volunteered, both in hospitals and outside hospitals. I had an interview with a single individual, not multiple.

I am on my knees praying that I get accepted.

I had my interview on the 14th. The facilities are extremely nice and I had pleasant conversations with the fellow interviewees. The initial interview seemed particularly useless. The second interview was about my personal experiences. They liked the fact that I shadowed, volunteered, both in hospitals and outside hospitals. I had an interview with a single individual, not multiple.

I am on my knees praying that I get accepted.

That was something I did not understand- pretty sure the dean said it would be two separate interviews, one open file, one blinded. I had one interview with both interviewers simultaneously asking me questions lol.

I think I would have preferred it to be separate :/

That's really nice to hear, bamboozlenator and niki9. Thank you for your posts! I'm very excited to be interviewing at Cooper next month. What newsletter are you referring to? And why are you so excited by the curriculum? What are your thoughts regarding the breadth of clinical experience? What kind of exciting opportunities do students have to experience all the different facets of medicine? Do you get the sense that it's geared towards students who are primarily interested in public health or addressing the needs of indigent populations? Sorry for my many questions. Thanks!!

@slothster don't apologize, all are great questions! I'll try to answer as best as I can (/as best as I interpreted things myself). The curriculum is very different from what you come across at most schools-I would recommend going to their website to look it up. I'll give you a quick overview though. First, they only have 6 hours of lecture a week. Yes, 6 hours. They have approached what is called 'flip-learning', which essentially I took away as the idea that you learn more practicing than being lectured to. It was founded by some hedge-fund man who found it more effective to give his daughter a ten minute brief lesson on a subject matter, and then having her go to school and working out problems-engaging and asking questions. Essentially "flipping" the normal status quo, where one is lectured in school, then does work at home. This allows the student to do the work in an environment where there is someone who can answer questions, etc. They facilitate this by having 6 hours of what is called an Active Learning Group (ALG) a week. These groups are super neat-for their inaugural class there are I believe 6 groups of 7 and one of 8 students. They make all the students take two different personality tests, and from these results they form the ALG groups, trying to make sure not one of the students in a group has the same personality. They have said the feedback from students has been amazingly positive, and not a single person has requested to switch groups. In these ALGs, you are given different cases, which you then work as a group to solve, using knowledge you've gained from lecture, reading, etc. These can range from medical to ethical cases. There's a supervisor/facilitator in the room as well in case anyone has questions. The rooms each group meets in are very spacious, and each has a smart board and white board. These groups help you to work through things yourselves, which I have always found to be the most efficient way of learning. I went to a Montessori grade school from k-6th grade, which has a similar learning style as this, and I found it remarkably helpful, and formative. Students can play off each others strengths and weaknesses, and you learn to work as a group, and problem solve.
Throughout all four years, starting right from week 3 you have something called an ambulatory clerkship (you can look this up on their website as well, go to curriculum map and you can select any section for more information). You form teams, with 2 phase 1 and 2 phase 2 students making up a team, and this is where you do all of your clinical experience. So yes, you will be getting clinical experience starting the first year.
Lastly, I think it's somewhat I like that. I think it is really a school for students who want to be interactive in their community more than anything else. It's not a school where you can simply go to class, then go home and study. They want you to interact with the population, and understand the relationship that can exist between a medical school and the city it is in (which is shown by the requirement of 40 hours of non-medical community service required each year. Anything from coaching a local team, to helping out in a school class, etc.). The citizens don't just learn from the students, the students also learn from the citizens. I wouldn't say it's only for students interested in public health or indigent populations, but it certainly is aimed at making sure its students are not only aware of their surroundings, but involved with them as well.

I hope that helps slightly...I'm sure they'll do a much better job explaining it all at your interview. It's kind of hard to really explain it all accurately on paper, but once you get to your interview, meet with the faculty and staff, and see the facility, and feel the environment, you'll really get it, and that's when you'll know if it's for you or not! But definitely scour their website over and over, I found that the more I looked over it, the more I found different things and programs they had that were unique and exciting! Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!

@jollybengali I think nearly half of the students live in a complex in Camden called the Victor. It's a little expensive, but very nice, safe, and close to the school. A good portion also live at home, as they are from the area. However, one of the students I spoke with lived in Philly, and she said she had no problem commuting from her place to school. So yes, I would say it is certainly feasible. But I would advise you to ask the students when you are there who live in Philly for more information-they are all super friendly and I'm certain would tell you all about their experiences!

Anyways, congrats to you both! Good luck with your interviews, and I hope that helped somewhat.

I have very little to add to what bamboozlenator said. They seem to really care about the students who seem ridiculously happy. They are seriously the most upbeat med students I've talked to so far. Cooper schedules various activities weekly like yoga, nutrition classes...etc to help their students be as healthy as possible. No other school I interviewed at really seemed to stress this as much as cooper did.

The program itself is very interactive with the small groups. They have scheduled time for research each year (week I think). You're in the hospital early on. You interact with the patient population early. I did a summer as a public health intern at lourdes (a different hospital in camden) and you really come to care about the city. I want to go into public health/infectious disease and I think Cooper is set up very well for that given the populations and problems in the city. I know they are also committed to primary care. I think though, given Camden, you could pretty much get amazing training in anything you want to do. I've shadowed at Cooper itself and got to see surgery, trama, peds, radiology...etc. It seriously is a great place and you'll definitely see action.

They email out a newsletter to the campus and include accepted students. It's kind of adorable. They talk about students who run marathons or grow mustaches for movember. PM me if you want me to forward it. Other schools probably do this too, but I have yet to get a newsletter from drexel (not to hate on drexel, my friend may be going there.)

Sorry for the not terribly well written post.

Last edited:
I have very little to add to what bamboozlenator said. They seem to really care about the students who seem ridiculously happy. They are seriously the most upbeat med students I've talked to so far. Cooper schedules various activities weekly like yoga, nutrition classes...etc to help their students be as healthy as possible. No other school I interviewed at really seemed to stress this as much as cooper did.

The program itself is very interactive with the small groups. They have scheduled time for research each year (week I think). You're in the hospital early on. You interact with the patient population early. I did a summer as a public health intern at lourdes (a different hospital in camden) and you really come to care about the city. I want to go into public health/infectious disease and I think Cooper is set up very well for that given the populations and problems in the city. I know they are also committed to primary care. I think though, given Camden, you could pretty much get amazing training in anything you want to do. I've shadowed at Cooper itself and got to see surgery, trama, peds, radiology...etc. It seriously is a great place and you'll definitely see action.

They email out a newsletter to the campus and include accepted students. It's kind of adorable. They talk about students who run marathons or grow mustaches for movember. PM me if you want me to forward it. Other schools probably do this too, but I have yet to get a newsletter from drexel (not to hate on drexel, my friend may be going there.)

Sorry for the not terribly well written post.

niki & bamboozlenator, thank you for your very thorough responses! I definitely will spend a lot more time reviewing Cooper’s website; something I am ashamed to not have done since completing the secondary…

The emphasis on student satisfaction and the quality of the facilities are two big pluses! I also really like the fact that it’s a small class (50, right?). It would also be fulfilling to be a part of such a new school given the great and untapped opportunities for leadership, etc.

Thanks again!

Does anyone know what the rule is for getting in-state tuition in NJ? My parents have a house in NJ, and I have a NJ driver's license, but I currently live in NY. Could I still qualify for NJ in-state tuition? What would I have to submit to qualify?

@slothster no shame, after secondaries are all in you kind of take a break for a while and then start researching schools more in depth again as they come up-it's good to take a little time off from the grind! I know I did! As for the class size-their inaugural class is 50 students, and then each year they will be adding ten students to the incoming class size (60,70,80,etc.) until they reach a class size of 100, which is what they will maintain for each class after that.

@jollybengali here is a link to a rutgers admissions website that outlines the way residency works as far as declaring it for in-state tuition: http://admissions.rutgers.edu/costs/tuitionandfees/njtuitioneligibility.aspx.

In short, are you living in NY because you are a student, or are you working there? If you are a student then I see no reason why you wouldn't qualify as in-state upon your return, but if you are living and working in NY independently, then I think you will have to establish residency for 12 months before you can apply for in-state tuition. So assuming you move to NJ before August of your first year, you could presumably apply for it your second year on (what I will be planning on doing if I get in!). Hope that helps/isn't wrong!

@slothster no shame, after secondaries are all in you kind of take a break for a while and then start researching schools more in depth again as they come up-it's good to take a little time off from the grind! I know I did! As for the class size-their inaugural class is 50 students, and then each year they will be adding ten students to the incoming class size (60,70,80,etc.) until they reach a class size of 100, which is what they will maintain for each class after that.

@jollybengali here is a link to a rutgers admissions website that outlines the way residency works as far as declaring it for in-state tuition: http://admissions.rutgers.edu/costs/tuitionandfees/njtuitioneligibility.aspx.

In short, are you living in NY because you are a student, or are you working there? If you are a student then I see no reason why you wouldn't qualify as in-state upon your return, but if you are living and working in NY independently, then I think you will have to establish residency for 12 months before you can apply for in-state tuition. So assuming you move to NJ before August of your first year, you could presumably apply for it your second year on (what I will be planning on doing if I get in!). Hope that helps/isn't wrong!

This is unfortunately untrue- as with many state schools (except the NY State system and maybe a few others) Cooper said you have to move to NJ a year before matriculation in order to be deemed a resident for tuition purposes EVER.

Drats, I should have read that more carefully, you are correct. I suppose that makes more sense-otherwise everyone would be in-state come second and third year haha! :p Thanks for the correction! Anyways, less than two days until we hear back, hopefully!! :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.