2012-2013 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Has anyone from 9/19 gotten a decision yet? I'm still at "Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel University."

I mean... You'd think eight weeks would be enough time for a decision... Not that I actually care that much anymore...

Members don't see this ad :)
So... Has anyone from 9/19 gotten a decision yet? I'm still at "Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel University."

I mean... You'd think eight weeks would be enough time for a decision... Not that I actually care that much anymore...
how long did you have this status for?

Nope. I'll probably call soon. Not stressing at all, just curious. Lol.

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

The things I would do to be "curious" and "not stressing at all"...haha :rolleyes:

Eight weeks is definitely pushing it... have you called the admissions office yet?

Eight weeks is not pushing it. People have had to wait much longer. Part of it has to do with how quickly your main interviewer gets their evaluation in. Just be patient. There is not much you can do at this point, so I would wait for couple weeks until you call.

Eight weeks is not pushing it. People have had to wait much longer. Part of it has to do with how quickly your main interviewer gets their evaluation in. Just be patient. There is not much you can do at this point, so I would wait for couple weeks until you call.

Harsh. I was going off of the "4 to 6 week" window they gave us on my interview day. Thanks for the reply though. I guess I won't get my hopes up for a 4 week turnaround.

Tomorrow will be six weeks for me. *sigh* Not really too worried about their decision but would still like to know sooner rather than later.

Hi everyone! What is Drexel really big on? mentoring? research? could anyone tell me more about Drexel?

Thank you so much!!!!!
Hi! So, I definitely am not speaking from direct experience because I am a current applicant, however I can tell you that from what I experienced at my interview that a strength of Drexel does seem to be mentoring. There is a very apparent community feel to the school. Everyone (and I meant literally everyone, from the students to the faculty to the lady in the cafeteria) was extremely friendly. My student interviewer, who was an M1, gave the impression that he had already developed a rapport with his professors. The community atmosphere at Drexel was much stronger than what I had felt at the other schools where I interviewed. I would say that an additional strength of Drexel would be the options in their curriculum. You can choose a PBL track or a traditional lecture-based track, and you also have the option of pursuing a degree-concentration in women's health education or medical humanities. It also seemed that choosing to obtain a dual degree was a common option and that students were able to do so with relative ease.

Just some input from what I learned at my interview. Hopefully it was helpful!

Interviewed 9/19. No status update for me either. Same one as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
II via the status page! Complete 8/22, I've been hoping for this one for a while!

II via the status page! Complete 8/22, I've been hoping for this one for a while!
Same here! I'm not sure they evaluated everyone chronologically, or if they did, they revisited some apps (including ours) later on. 10,000 applications is no joke, so I don't blame them.

Could you (with recent IIs) please share what dates they are scheduling now for interviews?
Some of us are still waiting, and worry if it is already too late.

Thank you.

Status update today:

"Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel University. "

Oh Happy day

Status update today:

"Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel University. "

Oh Happy day

When did you interview? Also do you know how long it usually takes after you get this status to get the "decision has been" made status?

I interviewed 9/19. And I don't know the answer to your second question, but I will post when it changes again.

Any current Drexel students who got in off the wait list or know people who got in off the wait list:

Any advice for someone who has been wait listed? How was your experience? When did you move off the wait list? Any help is very appreciated. :)

Check those status pages...just got an ii, did not receive an e-mail yet. complete in august, interview scheduled mid-january

Status just changed to "Your file is currently under review by the admissions committee. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel of University."

It's about time.

Status just changed to "Your file is currently under review by the admissions committee. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel of University."

It's about time.

Yikes, me too. This is probably the first school I'll hear back from, so I'm actually pretty nervous :scared:

Yikes, me too. This is probably the first school I'll hear back from, so I'm actually pretty nervous :scared:
FWIW, I'm still on pre-interview hold. They make me a very sad panda. And the lack of being able to paste images, forcing us to link them all of a sudden, makes me a sad panda x2.

Two sad pandas:

images
images

It's about time.

Mine says that too. I interview 10/22. How long does it take for them to make a decision?

Finally got my waitlist in the mail. Drexel expects us to mail back the letter of ndicating if we accept or decline the wait list offer. This school is really annoying. They can't even send a self addressed and stamped envelope for us to use.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Any current Drexel students who got in off the wait list or know people who got in off the wait list:

Any advice for someone who has been wait listed? How was your experience? When did you move off the wait list? Any help is very appreciated. :)

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using SDN Mobile

I interviewed here a few years back, I wanted to see how everyone's interview experience went and if anything has really changed at Drexel?

Oh man when I interviewed, the schedule was all over the place (scattered) and I ended up interviewing with an extremely hostile interviewer. Not surprising to say that I was rejected. I wanted to obtain more information because my younger brother is applying next cycle and want to see if it's the same environment or if things have changed.

Mine says that too. I interview 10/22. How long does it take for them to make a decision?

They told me 4-6 weeks, but I interviewed early (Sept 24th). I got my "final decision" status after 4 weeks, and received the acceptance package approximately 5 days later. So total time for me was about 5 weeks. They did say it would be a longer wait later in the season, so I would guess anywhere between 5 and 8 weeks?

Regarding the "sent to committee shortly status," I think I had that status for one week. After that, I was "under review by committee" (something along those lines) for maybe two weeks before I got the final decision status.

I interviewed here a few years back, I wanted to see how everyone's interview experience went and if anything has really changed at Drexel?

Oh man when I interviewed, the schedule was all over the place (scattered) and I ended up interviewing with an extremely hostile interviewer. Not surprising to say that I was rejected. I wanted to obtain more information because my younger brother is applying next cycle and want to see if it's the same environment or if things have changed.

There are mixed opinions on this. If you go back a few pages, there are a ton of posts about bad experiences. But there are also good experiences. There are definitely bad interviewers and good interviewers, and it seems like it might come down to luck.

There are mixed opinions on this. If you go back a few pages, there are a ton of posts about bad experiences. But there are also good experiences. There are definitely bad interviewers and good interviewers, and it seems like it might come down to luck.

I understand your point. I think it's unfair to judge or try to judge an entire school based on a single interviewer but there's sort of been a trend going on at this school. I'll be the first to admit that I myself had a horrible experience at Drexel. I withdrew my application a day after my interview and filed a complaint with the admissions office. I was straight up asked by an interviewer why I joined the military when I'm a naturalized citizen and not a US born citizen. Even after my explanation that this country had given me everything, a life, happiness, a wonderful education and that I felt obligated to serve I was straight up told to my face NO you weren't because you were not born in the US lol Jesus Christ.

There were some other ridiculously inappropriate comments made but i'll leave it at that :laugh:
I came to the interview thinking it was going to be laid back and it turned out to be a disaster. Just giving a heads up come prepared for the worst. I don't bad mouth schools or anything but I really was trying to see if the school has done something like train their interviewers in taking a slightly less aggressive route especially since I filed a formal complaint years ago. I have had a few other friends who complained too, some are actually residents now but none of us will ever forget out interview experience at Drexel :laugh:

I understand your point. I think it's unfair to judge or try to judge an entire school based on a single interviewer but there's sort of been a trend going on at this school. I’ll be the first to admit that I myself had a horrible experience at Drexel. I withdrew my application a day after my interview and filed a complaint with the admissions office. I was straight up asked by an interviewer why I joined the military when I'm a naturalized citizen and not a US born citizen. Even after my explanation that this country had given me everything, a life, happiness, a wonderful education and that I felt obligated to serve I was straight up told to my face NO you weren't because you were not born in the US lol Jesus Christ.

There were some other ridiculously inappropriate comments made but i'll leave it at that :laugh:
I came to the interview thinking it was going to be laid back and it turned out to be a disaster. Just giving a heads up come prepared for the worst. I don’t bad mouth schools or anything but I really was trying to see if the school has done something like train their interviewers in taking a slightly less aggressive route especially since I filed a formal complaint years ago. I have had a few other friends who complained too, some are actually residents now but none of us will ever forget out interview experience at Drexel :laugh:

Wow, bad press for drexel

i understand your point. I think it's unfair to judge or try to judge an entire school based on a single interviewer but there's sort of been a trend going on at this school. I’ll be the first to admit that i myself had a horrible experience at drexel. I withdrew my application a day after my interview and filed a complaint with the admissions office. I was straight up asked by an interviewer why i joined the military when i'm a naturalized citizen and not a us born citizen. Even after my explanation that this country had given me everything, a life, happiness, a wonderful education and that i felt obligated to serve i was straight up told to my face no you weren't because you were not born in the us lol jesus christ.

I came to the interview thinking it was going to be laid back and it turned out to be a disaster. Just giving a heads up come prepared for the worst. I don’t bad mouth schools or anything but i really was trying to see if the school has done something like train their interviewers in taking a slightly less aggressive route especially since i filed a formal complaint years ago. I have had a few other friends who complained too, some are actually residents now but none of us will ever forget out interview experience at drexel :laugh:

+1

It's sad, really.

The school is okay, the students are great but I didn't feel welcome. I hope others had a better experience than mine. I read a few posts in the previous pages and sadly it does not surprise me at all.

I understand your point. I think it's unfair to judge or try to judge an entire school based on a single interviewer but there's sort of been a trend going on at this school. I’ll be the first to admit that I myself had a horrible experience at Drexel. I withdrew my application a day after my interview and filed a complaint with the admissions office. I was straight up asked by an interviewer why I joined the military when I'm a naturalized citizen and not a US born citizen. Even after my explanation that this country had given me everything, a life, happiness, a wonderful education and that I felt obligated to serve I was straight up told to my face NO you weren't because you were not born in the US lol Jesus Christ.

I came to the interview thinking it was going to be laid back and it turned out to be a disaster. Just giving a heads up come prepared for the worst. I don’t bad mouth schools or anything but I really was trying to see if the school has done something like train their interviewers in taking a slightly less aggressive route especially since I filed a formal complaint years ago. I have had a few other friends who complained too, some are actually residents now but none of us will ever forget out interview experience at Drexel :laugh:

Wow. I'm sorry you had that experience. I still think it's worth it for your brother to apply. I had a great experience at Drexel, but I am disappointed that so many people had bad experiences. Hopefully if your brother gets an interview, he will interview with the same faculty I did.

Hi everyone,

I feel compelled to chime in about my interview experience just to even things out a bit. I interviewed recently and I had an AMAZING faculty interview which lasted for 40 minutes. She was absolutely a pleasure to talk to and it truly felt like a conversation. This was my fourth med school interview and I have some other great schools to compare to. Still, I was very very pleased with my interview experience at Drexel. My student interviewer was really friendly and sweet and gave me a tour after lunch since I had missed the tour in the morning because of my faculty interview.

The anatomy lab isn't as fancy as some of the newer ones, but it is not the worst by any means. I also was not bothered by the lecture halls and like that lectures are recorded for both programs. The 24 hour gym access is also awesome! Some of their special programs really appealed to me as well. If you look through this year's seminar series topics, they are really interesting...There are also tons of opportunities to get involved in the community as well (Bridging the Gap summer program, Primary Care internship for PIL students first year) and the school shows genuine awareness and involvement to mitigate local health disparities (new office for urban health equity!). There are also three dual masters offered.

I agree that a lot of what's exciting about Drexel wasn't elaborated on during the presentation; however, it is easily found on the website. Thus I was truly excited to be there and my interview day did let me see that the environment at Drexel is friendly and collaborative! Grades aren't on a curve...none of the students I spoke to discussed competition. The diverse clinical site options are impressive and you can elect to do all of your clerkships at one location if that appeals more to you. The location is also great for me as I am close to home, and close to awesome cities like NYC, Baltimore, and DC.

So that was just my two cents. I am still in the middle of my cycle with more interviews coming up but I am really glad I decided to apply to Drexel as I was very pleasantly surprised during my interview day. Again, the school aught to have less variability between interviewers but I personally am happy I decided to attend my interview and encourage you all to keep an open mind.

Good luck to all of you applying!!

I also had some mixed feelings about Drexel.
The school offers a lot. It has a long reputation, variation in the curriculum, and a lot of opportunity for getting involved in the community. I went into the interview wanting to love the school but it didn't feel inviting.
My student interviewer was honest with me by saying she was less than impressed during her interview but when she came for a second look visit she fell for the school. She also mentioned that, with such a large class, it really becomes what you make of it. You can have the community feeling with classmates, or you can choose to only show up for the required classes. At Drexel you can pretty much create your own path of how involved you want to be with other students, professors, and clinical opportunities. I just wish the admissions staff was a little more excited to see us and make us feel like we were welcome rather than an annoyance in their day.
But remember, it's mainly the admissions staff you see, not the faculty. My interview group was lucky enough to have the Dean stop by. He was actually pretty annoyed that we were sitting alone for 2+ hours talking to each other and stayed until he had to leave for a meeting. He was really friendly and welcoming!

What's taking Drexel so long?!?!?!?! It's almost been 7 weeks and I still don't have a decision post-interview!

What's taking Drexel so long?!?!?!?! It's almost been 7 weeks and I still don't have a decision post-interview!

You can always call admissions! They were very helpful when I asked where my application was in the review process. At the very least, the guy who answers the phone can tell you if your app is waiting for committee of if you're in committee/they're making their final decision.

Also, if I remember correctly, the committee meets on Thursdays!

Status
Not open for further replies.