2012-2013 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo, I just received an interview invite. Complete 9/11/12.

March 21, 2013. I'm sooo excited and sooo nervous at the same time. This is my fourth interview and I've been waitlisted to 2/3 schools.

I am really hoping this is my time to shine. But, do you guys know how the waitlist here generally moves? Or is there a chance they will still give outright acceptances for such a late date?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Soo, I just received an interview invite. Complete 9/11/12.

March 21, 2013. I'm sooo excited and sooo nervous at the same time. This is my fourth interview and I've been waitlisted to 2/3 schools.

I am really hoping this is my time to shine. But, do you guys know how the waitlist here generally moves? Or is there a chance they will still give outright acceptances for such a late date?

Thanks!

try calling and asking? maybe they save a few spots at the end..

those of you with recent iis - were any of you on pre-interview hold?

I'm under the impression that the waitlist here moves a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted and received the packet this week. Have not been following my status changes/dates but I interviewed Nov 19th.

Will be withdrawing, so hopefully that will be helpful to someone here. Good luck!

i've been checking my statuses regularly and i just got the 'with the admissions committee' status this week. interviewed early december. checked my status again today and it says a final decision has been reached, so definitely either a rejection or acceptance. heart's palpitating; don't know if this is a good thing or a bad....

Last edited:
i've been checking my statuses regularly and i just got the 'with the admissions committee' status this week. interviewed early december. checked my status again today and it says a final decision has been reached, so definitely either a WL or acceptance. heart's palpitating; don't know if this is a good thing or a bad....

Did you mean either acceptance or rejection? Good luck!

Did you mean either acceptance or rejection? Good luck!

thanks! and yes this is what i meant lol, sorry. final is either acceptance or reject, sorry about that. I'm not sure my head was entirely there as I was typing that post up, my heart was racing quite severely...i'm gonna edit my post.

Congrats! :) glad to have more people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Guys,

I have already been admitted to a school in NYC and need to send my fairly large deposit very soon. I just recieved an interview invite and I signed up for March 19th. Do I have a good chance, interviewing at this time, of getting in?
Eokpar02, I would send in your large deposit but still attend the Drexel interview. There is definitely still a chance of acceptance/WL and acceptance, but in case you would not be, it would be unwise to throw away any opportunity you have to start medical school next year.

Also, congrats wind0angel and hopeful!

I got the final decision status today! Finally! Watch it be a rejection though.

when did you interview and how long were you with the committee?

I interviewed the first week of October. I had "interview scheduled" for around 8 weeks, with a member of the admissions committee for 12 weeks, and then with the admissions committee for 1 week.

You don't wanna know haha

Lol. Earlier in the cycle, I read in last year's thread that decisions could take up to 12 weeks. I thought about how torturous that wait would be. I never expected mine to take almost twice as long.

About time... good luck!

:thumbup:

i was sent to committee 4 weeks post interview and now I've been stuck with the committee status for 2 weeks...How long do they usually take?

I interviewed the first week of October. I had "interview scheduled" for around 8 weeks, with a member of the admissions committee for 12 weeks, and then with the admissions committee for 1 week.

Uh oh...I'm "interviewed scheduled" for 12 weeks and counting.

I hope you get good news! :thumbup:

i was sent to committee 4 weeks post interview and now I've been stuck with the committee status for 2 weeks...How long do they usually take?

It's been varying with some people, though it seems like waiting to be sent to the committee is the longest part.

i was at interview scheduled for 18 weeks, committee status for only 1 week, and today my status changed to under review from the admissions committee.

Has anyone called to ask about their decision? I'm wondering if the people who answer the phones can access decision information, and if they're willing to give decisions over the phone. Otherwise, I guess I can wait another two or three weeks for the snail mail.

Has anyone called to ask about their decision? I'm wondering if the people who answer the phones can access decision information, and if they're willing to give decisions over the phone. Otherwise, I guess I can wait another two or three weeks for the snail mail.

They said under no circumstances would they give out decisions over the phone so I wouldn't even try.

i was at interview scheduled for 18 weeks, committee status for only 1 week, and today my status changed to under review from the admissions committee.

Oh damn, I guess I shouldn't complain then.
I hope you get good news soon!

Since I believe roughly 25% of Drexel students are from California, this may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/02/12/kaiser-adding-drexel-medical-students.html

Or for east-coasters who want to rotate in California :D

That's a cool find though, I'm sure those spots will become pretty competitive for Californians who want to go home for a bit. That outpatient psych rotation would make for lots of free time haha. I wonder how that location came about though, there are a lot of kaiser centers much closer to drexel.

For people that aren't from California, the Sacramento region is probably nothing like you imagine California to be! On the plus side you're in ~1-2 hr driving distance to SF :)

For people that aren't from California, the Sacramento region is probably nothing like you imagine California to be! On the plus side you're in ~1-2 hr driving distance to SF :)

Yeah, northern California is pretty different than southern California. I think the best part about Sacramento is its proximity to Tahoe (which is awesome if you're obsessed with snowboarding like I am).

Vallejo is one of the worst cities in California. That whole Sacramento area is extremely hot and surrounded by flat farmland. Traffic is terrible too. I would never, ever do that program. Not worth it!

Vallejo is one of the worst cities in California. That whole Sacramento area is extremely hot and surrounded by flat farmland. Traffic is terrible too. I would never, ever do that program. Not worth it!

These hospitals are in busy areas, not surrounded by farmland (hence the traffic, which is accurate). Sacramento is about as hot as most of LA county in the summer (where I'm from), though it gets colder in the winter. Not sure why you think Vallejo is so bad... I think it's in a pretty desirable area. The worst city in California is probably Stockton.

These hospitals are in busy areas, not surrounded by farmland (hence the traffic, which is accurate). Sacramento is about as hot as most of LA county in the summer (where I'm from), though it gets colder in the winter. Not sure why you think Vallejo is so bad... I think it's in a pretty desirable area. The worst city in California is probably Stockton.

I thought Compton* was?

*source = N.W.A.

Since I believe roughly 25% of Drexel students are from California, this may be of interest to some of you:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/02/12/kaiser-adding-drexel-medical-students.html

I wonder if this is an indicator of DUCOM's intention to start a 4 year program on the West "Coast." Over the last 3 years, Drexel has built a fairly large presence in Sac: http://sacramento.drexel.edu/ (including a pre-health post-bacc program).

Other than for students with NorCal origins, I can't believe this would be such an attractive option for others... it's hard to imagine that the clinical education at Kaiser (which I believe is largely outpatient) could compare to the education that students would have at a huge hospital like Hahnemann.

Lol... to be honest, I would rather live in Compton than Stockton.

Haha noted. I've never been to Cali, so I like to picture every city with lots of beaches, sunshine, and fake boobs :thumbup:

I wonder if this is an indicator of DUCOM's intention to start a 4 year program on the West "Coast." Over the last 3 years, Drexel has built a fairly large presence in Sac: http://sacramento.drexel.edu/ (including a pre-health post-bacc program).

Other than for students with NorCal origins, I can't believe this would be such an attractive option for others... it's hard to imagine that the clinical education at Kaiser (which I believe is largely outpatient) could compare to the education that students would have at a huge hospital like Hahnemann.

Actually, these are all big medical centers. You can Google Map street view the clinical sites outlined in the article. But yeah, I'm assuming those that choose to spend a year in Sacramento will have ties to the region.

We've had no indication of that, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they chose to go in that direction. I'm not sure what the deal is this year, but I don't know if anyone is there full year - they ended up changing to 6 month stints in California - and this is speculation, but I believe this is because there was a lot of interest.

The thing to consider with this program is the cost of moving cross-country for one year, if you're not from Sacramento. I had originally wanted to do this and realized it was completely unfeasible on my unaugmented student loan budget. Also remember you'd need to move back for 4th year, which means finding and putting deposits down on apartments across the country two years in a row.

I've been under review by the committee for 2 weeks now. Wondering whats taking them so long....do they update the status right after the meetings or on Friday/Monday?

I've been under review by the committee for 2 weeks now. Wondering whats taking them so long....do they update the status right after the meetings or on Friday/Monday?
On this thread the update has generally been on friday and sometimes monday. I have been waiting for two weeks also.

Admissions committee meets on Thursday right??

When I called, they said the committee meets every Tuesday and Thursday and that I should check to see if there is a change in my status on Wednesdays or Fridays. I interviewed Dec. 8 so I'm hoping to see a change soon. (They actually told me they should reach a decision by today and I'd see the status change by tomorrow, but I'm not sure how reliable that is, lol)

when does drexel start notifying people on the WL about a final decision? I'm guessing it'd be in May, but does anyone know when they've started in past years?

Status
Not open for further replies.