2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stats man we are alike in a lot of ways 8-D but I'll admit I'm jealous you already heard from them! :( I haven't heard back from any MD schools yet and sent everything in by 7/14... What do you think that's about?? I know it's still early but this waiting game ain't fun.

My stats:
PS-11, VR- 8, BS- 13
GPA/sGPA: 3.81/3.86

Get those gator colors off your signature.....

Members don't see this ad.

Also, the dean came to our campus last week for a dinner and he mentioned that out of the 1/2 of the class that have taken step 2 so far, about 1/3 have scores VERY well (I believe >250).

I was also a bit surprised - he knew me by name. I've spoken with him a couple times and I did just get AOA, even still, I was SHOCKED when he said "Hey FSU2013, how are your applications going?"

Members don't see this ad :)
How long should these secondaries be? I'm pre-writing them right now.

The max word count is 500 so no more than that!

I noticed the "Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions." question isn't included in the OP. Is it not on this year's secondary?

If so, are you all approaching this like a reiteration of your personal statement? Or are you just trying to draw different paths to the same conclusions you reached in your PS?

That prompt is in this year's secondary so write it!

My personal advice is to not just reiterate your PS. Certainly your reasons for "why medicine?" shouldn't be completely different (imo), but definitely use this as chance to bring up what you were not able to before/draw different paths as you said. But only if these reasons played a significant and genuine role towards your realization.

Also, the dean came to our campus last week for a dinner and he mentioned that out of the 1/2 of the class that have taken step 2 so far, about 1/3 have scores VERY well (I believe >250).

I was also a bit surprised - he knew me by name. I've spoken with him a couple times and I did just get AOA, even still, I was SHOCKED when he said "Hey FSU2013, how are your applications going?"

Well, he did have to choose someone's picture to throw darts at.

For those wait listed, it isn't the end. Remember, even I was on the list and here I sit in my 4th year applying to residencies.

Get those gator colors off your signature.....

Don't let FSU2013 scare you. Gators are still welcomed at FSU. Heck, my class 2015 was the first class that had more FSU alums than UF alums in FSU COM history.

Even with threats accounted, FSU2013 is harmless, unless you are a pedestrian crossing the street.

Even with threats accounted, FSU2013 is harmless, unless you are a pedestrian crossing the street.

Classic Mosspoh - an inside joke for the entire internet to see and not get.

Love it.

That's how I roll.

Invited early this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Congrats! Go 'Noles!

Congrats, Mueez!! :) When is it? I'm still waiting to hear back...

Thanks guys! Really excited and can't wait! I scheduled mine for October 8th but I was told they were having interviews every week (at least during October) on Mondays and Fridays from which you can then pick two time slots. They contacted me through email and the only change on my review status online is "interview scheduled". The most recent status before that is application under review.

I submitted my secondary on 8/8 so my wait was about 6 weeks, hang in there you'll get good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am honestly psyched about this school. Hearing the Dr. Watson speak was a real kick in the gut, but in a good way. It's like every reason I had for going to medical school, he said it, and made me want to find out as soon as physically possible. >_<

So I was wondering, the website said the earliest regular applicants will find out their decision is Oct 15. Was wondering if anyone from past cycles heard earlier or is that the set date. Like is that a strict guideline or just a general time estimate.

I am honestly psyched about this school. Hearing the Dr. Watson speak was a real kick in the gut, but in a good way. It's like every reason I had for going to medical school, he said it, and made me want to find out as soon as physically possible. >_<

So I was wondering, the website said the earliest regular applicants will find out their decision is Oct 15. Was wondering if anyone from past cycles heard earlier or is that the set date. Like is that a strict guideline or just a general time estimate.

Dr. Watson is AMAZING. Such a great role model - and a super nice guy. He's a huge asset to FSU COM.

Also, I think they just named a room or building after him in UF COM.

Super strict guideline set by the AAMC

Fooey.... Guess I got no choice but to wait the two weeks out...

Been under review for over a month!!! aww this is killing me lol.

What are the character limits for the secondary prompts?

Been under review for over a month!!! aww this is killing me lol.
Been under review since 9/11. Do you know if there will be a status change or is it going to say under review until April if we don't get an II?

Been under review since 9/11. Do you know if there will be a status change or is it going to say under review until April if we don't get an II?
Lol I win, under review since 8/3. I don't think it's going to change....

Anyone get a recent invite (like this week)? I'm worried that since I still am waiting for my LORs to arrive, I won't be considered until January. Do they send out all interview invites in big spurts or gradually throughout time?

I think I made a huge mistake. I was checking my secondary app and I accidentally hit the "Release to FSU" button again and now it says my secondary was submitted today as opposed to its original submission date. Is this going to screw me over?

It isn't like it goes back in time an undoes the original event. Quit worrying. ;)

So I applied here last year and didn't get an II, and they sent me an email in April letting me know I didn't receive an II. My status didn't change until then either. Sooo hopefully they have changed this year but I wouldn't count on it :(

Complete 9/26 so I have a while to wait.

Got an II here!

Stats: 3.97/3.98s/32O

IS applicant

Complete with everything: 8/15

Got an II here!

Stats: 3.97/3.98s/32O

IS applicant

Complete with everything: 8/15

Congrats!! Don't stress you'll have a lot of fun on interview day. The interview was very personable and you'll likely be with someone who is sincerely interested in your application and its unique aspects. You'll realize that shortly after your interview begins. Very conversational, the hour will fly by you!

Also... DR. WATSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to take nap when I got an acceptance email. No cup of coffee can compare to how quickly I became awake!

Interviewed 10/8

I was about to take nap when I got an acceptance email. No cup of coffee can compare to how quickly I became awake!

Interviewed 10/8

Congratulations, everyone loves it here. Hopefully, you make the right choice.

Sent in a mid term update from my medical science masters program. Got a nice warm email back that they will be re- reviewing my application soon. Fingers crossed that my masters program moves them enough to interview me.

Sent in a mid term update from my medical science masters program. Got a nice warm email back that they will be re- reviewing my application soon. Fingers crossed that my masters program moves them enough to interview me.

Are you at the Master's Program at USF? I believe we have at least a half-dozen students who received their Masters degree from there in my class. It will definitely strengthen your application.

Any recent interview invites from FSU?

Are you at the Master's Program at USF? I believe we have at least a half-dozen students who received their Masters degree from there in my class. It will definitely strengthen your application.

No, I am at Mississippi college. I really was not drawn in by USFs program. MC sold me better and of course now that I am here most of what they sold me on was half truths. However the program does do one thing, prove that you can do medical school. We take med phys, gross anatomy, neuroscience/anatomy and medical histology on an insane level, in a single semester we cover everything. The only problem is the only way anyone will know what I am doing here is if I tell them. Which is the purpose of the updates. It is my hope that FSU will see and understand how hard we work here and hopefully not mistake this program for a biomedical science masters.

No, I am at Mississippi college. I really was not drawn in by USFs program. MC sold me better and of course now that I am here most of what they sold me on was half truths. However the program does do one thing, prove that you can do medical school. We take med phys, gross anatomy, neuroscience/anatomy and medical histology on an insane level, in a single semester we cover everything. The only problem is the only way anyone will know what I am doing here is if I tell them. Which is the purpose of the updates. It is my hope that FSU will see and understand how hard we work here and hopefully not mistake this program for a biomedical science masters.

I may be doing an SMP (this years app cycle has been going terribly), are you happy you chose MC over USF? Why did you go to MC instead of USF?

I hope you don't mind me asking, but the option of an SMP is starting to become more and more of a possibility for me.

I may be doing an SMP (this years app cycle has been going terribly), are you happy you chose MC over USF? Why did you go to MC instead of USF?

I hope you don't mind me asking, but the option of an SMP is starting to become more and more of a possibility for me.

I selected MC over USF because I believed the program to be a better shot at getting me into medical school. However the things that they sold me on really don't have the effect they lead you to believe. ( NBME Shelf exams schools don't care and most have requested I don't send them or take them) All of the leg work has to be done by you, you have to sell the medical schools on the program and the amount of work you have to do to get this program done in a year is inhuman. Imagine if you had to take the first year of medical school in a semester and they quite literally expect you to know everything all the time. This program really is just for in staters that want a better shot at getting into UMiss. I made a mistake in selecting this program. I failed to notice the benefits drop significantly for out of staters, with the exception of Louisiana because of Dr. Baldwin's strong connections. If you are thinking SMP Georgetown, EVMS, U Toledo, Drexel and NYMC are my recommendations. You may want to have a good look at the post bacc forum on SDN for a bit more information, however dig deeper into programs you like and make sure you don't hop on board a program based on good news just to find out most of it doesn't apply to you.

I selected MC over USF because I believed the program to be a better shot at getting me into medical school. However the things that they sold me on really don't have the effect they lead you to believe. ( NBME Shelf exams schools don't care and most have requested I don't send them or take them) All of the leg work has to be done by you, you have to sell the medical schools on the program and the amount of work you have to do to get this program done in a year is inhuman. Imagine if you had to take the first year of medical school in a semester and they quite literally expect you to know everything all the time. This program really is just for in staters that want a better shot at getting into UMiss. I made a mistake in selecting this program. I failed to notice the benefits drop significantly for out of staters, with the exception of Louisiana because of Dr. Baldwin's strong connections. If you are thinking SMP Georgetown, EVMS, U Toledo, Drexel and NYMC are my recommendations. You may want to have a good look at the post bacc forum on SDN for a bit more information, however dig deeper into programs you like and make sure you don't hop on board a program based on good news just to find out most of it doesn't apply to you.

Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Fair enough, no one is going to fault you for choosing the situation that is better for you. Make sure you are as specific in your updates as you were in that post. You need to show, not tell.

Fair enough, no one is going to fault you for choosing the situation that is better for you. Make sure you are as specific in your updates as you were in that post. You need to show, not tell.

Very true. I worked really hard on these updates to make sure they say what they need to say. I wish it was just as easy as getting As and saying hey I got As but it isn't. I really have to point out how this program shaped me and shows my drive to be a successful medical student and eventually, doctor. My pre med advisor back in UG did aprove of this update letter so I hope it is a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.