2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question- I am planning on funding medical school entirely from loans (ie no money from parents helping me), so cost is extremely important to me. Does FSU award scholarships before May 15? Would I have to matriculate before finding out if I am getting any kind of help? Ultimately, this is a HUGE factor in deciding where I go, and I would really like to know before the May 15 deadline to hold a single acceptance. Looking for some input from current students at FSU COM. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question- I am planning on funding medical school entirely from loans (ie no money from parents helping me), so cost is extremely important to me. Does FSU award scholarships before May 15? Would I have to matriculate before finding out if I am getting any kind of help? Ultimately, this is a HUGE factor in deciding where I go, and I would really like to know before the May 15 deadline to hold a single acceptance. Looking for some input from current students at FSU COM. Thanks!

i think because classes at fsu start before july 30, you have until april 15th to make a decision.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/

I applied to FSU in the beginning of the application cycle and have yet to hear back. What are my chances of getting in?

Stats or on my MDapps profile.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)

Unfortunately FSU does not award scholarships before you matriculate except in very rare cases. Most students recieve some form of support through our in school scholarship application program. That is completed during the summer in your first year. On the other hand, FSU is one of the cheapest schools in the country and the cheapest or tied for the cheapest school in FL. I expect to make it out of medical school with just over 100,000 in debt. Hopefully a little less by keeping my expenses low.

I applied to FSU in the beginning of the application cycle and have yet to hear back. What are my chances of getting in?

Thank you

Not sure of anyone that can give you an accurate prediction on that. There are too many variables in play. If you are interested in the school, consider sending letters of update or interest. I received my interview invite here shortly after sending a letter of interest.

Not sure of anyone that can give you an accurate prediction on that. There are too many variables in play. If you are interested in the school, consider sending letters of update or interest. I received my interview invite here shortly after sending a letter of interest.

Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to send a letter via email (is that ok?) to them after the holidays.

what's the best way to write a letter of interest?

For some people, FSUCOM does award scholarship with the acceptance letter. For most we have to apply for them in the FALL semester. Usually it is anywhere from 2000 to 5000 off tuition per semester. It is not a lot but does help ( I have been applying for it every year)

Remind you we start in the Summer. There are plenty of loan money that you can take so it wont be an issue. I have friends that is funding it all via loan (with some small FSU scholarship)

Thank you

You look like a FSUCOM kind of student from the profile. I would sent them an update letter and a letter of interest. I sent them an update letter around Jan and got an interview invite in late FEB. There is still time left.

Is anyone else having difficulty sending an email to FSU? The email address they provided for status and contact updates, is not working for me and I am trying to provide contact information and a school status update (reported grades).

This is the email address they provide in the Secondary email: [email protected]
--This is the same email address they requested our photos be sent to as well.

Anybody know what is going wrong?

Hey locus000! Where did you send your information to? Their email address listed on the Secondary email and on the website is not currently working (see my post also below).

Thanks!

Here is my dream school invite for Jan 14 - however, putting it on a date such as January 28 would not affect my chances of being put on a waitlist if we're talking only in reference to time right?

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually stop offering interviews when the spots are filled and purposefully keep spots open for after winter break. A few of my friends were accepted in January or February long ago.

Sorry for the relative absence, been flying around for interviews. Only 2 left though!

Is the FSU the only allopathic school that begins during the summer of freshman year with gross anatomy?

I am not sure. Isn't something I've looked up before. It is somewhat of a non-factor. Early anatomy does make for a pretty good summer though.

Here is my dream school invite for Jan 14 - however, putting it on a date such as January 28 would not affect my chances of being put on a waitlist if we're talking only in reference to time right?

No. I interviewed mid-February and was accepted soon after. Go in there confident!

I received an email saying I was 'complete' and 'under review' a couple weeks ago shortly after getting my last LOR in (my writer submitted it towards the end of the cycle). When should I start worrying that I haven't received an ii? Can anyone give a time frame between 'under review' and 'ii' or even between 'under review' and 'rejection'? Thanks in advance.

I received an email saying I was 'complete' and 'under review' a couple weeks ago shortly after getting my last LOR in (my writer submitted it towards the end of the cycle). When should I start worrying that I haven't received an ii? Can anyone give a time frame between 'under review' and 'ii' or even between 'under review' and 'rejection'? Thanks in advance.

My wait was over a month long but I was also complete at a different point in the cycle than you. I don't think anyone can give you a time frame, it all depends on your application, stats, and what the adcoms are looking for at this point.

FSU COM's site says they conduct interviews through April so I wouldn't stress myself out until then about not getting an ii.

MossPoh (and others..) thanks for checking back in here from time to time, I hope your and your classmates' interviews went great!

I was complete and under review in late August and received and ii today. Thought for sure I was a silent reject, but I guess you truly can't worry until they are not giving out anymore interviews or tell you that you are rejected.

still got plenty of time left, don't lose hope. i interviewed the last day for my cycle (May 1) and I got it without being on the waitlist. I broke my leg and couldn't go to my original date of in march! Reschedule and went there on crutches.

Go to the interview with confidence and trust in that you can get in even if you are the last person interviewed.

BTW: Join the c/o 2017 if you are going here!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/213210095483272/

I know the girl that made the site and they are looking for you to join!

Thanks. Interviews for residency are much nicer than med school. You feel like you are being recruited most of the time.

Being accepted to med school is really the biggest hurdle. I was on the waitlist until a few days before orientation and now I am going on interviews at top 20 programs on my chosen specialty with some of the foremost authorities in their area. I did well, but I wasn't a rockstar like some in my class. ;)

Thanks. Interviews for residency are much nicer than med school. You feel like you are being recruited most of the time.

Being accepted to med school is really the biggest hurdle. I was on the waitlist until a few days before orientation and now I am going on interviews at top 20 programs on my chosen specialty with some of the foremost authorities in their area. I did well, but I wasn't a rockstar like some in my class. ;)

That is amazing!!! :) Good to know that getting accepted to med school is the biggest obstacle!

Good luck with the rest of your interviews

As for me..still no love from any Florida schools :sleep:

I'm all finished, thankfully. Could've gone on a few more but I was tired of living from a suitcase.

You just have to keep your chin up. I've found that the system rewards the stubborn. Even if you weren't to get it this year, you are bound to get in at some point. May take an extra year and maybe two, but if you keep working and improving yourself, the acceptance will come.

We do have at least one person that took 3 tries to get in(I think), but she interviewed at a ton of places in her chosen specialty and will match without a doubt.

If it is just a Florida thing, well then it stings a bit but lots of schools are great and will help you reach your goals.

Does FSU update the application page to 'accepted' or 'wait list' after their decision?

I interviewed on 1/18 and the status is currently at:
"Interview Scheduled 1/18"
"Interview Completed 1/24"

Does FSU update the application page to 'accepted' or 'wait list' after their decision?

I interviewed on 1/18 and the status is currently at:
"Interview Scheduled 1/18"
"Interview Completed 1/24"

Yes, wait until you receive the decision e-mail first, and then check. I got mine on a Thursday afternoon last year.

Well I declare. This is one variable interview season - got put on hold here this afternoon (interview 18th). The schools I think I'm a shoe-in, I'm not. The ones I don't expect, I have success. Yeah well. Life is good.

Well I declare. This is one variable interview season - got put on hold here this afternoon (interview 18th). The schools I think I'm a shoe-in, I'm not. The ones I don't expect, I have success. Yeah well. Life is good.

Pretty sure I talked with you on interview day... I thought you were a shoe-in too! And I was worried afterwards that I came off as arrogant and/or uninterested, and they took me. Go figure. It sounds like you're in great shape for UCF though!

Welcome to life from now on.

let's meet at starbucks sometime... remember me with Miss Barnette that time?

I'm sure I would if I saw your face. I don't mind sometime, but schedule is rather erratic lately.

Aww, Mosspoh, you're a rock star to me, lol.

And yes, the interviews are much nicer. Can't beat free steak and beer.

One of the places had about a 5 course mexican meal. I didn't know they could do so many things with tortillas. Then they had pitchers of very strong margaritas, sangria and beer that were constantly refilled. There were quite a few hungover residents the next day.

So, this my second time applying to FSU. I applied as an EDP, had my interview, and have been on hold since September. Last year, I was on hold until 2 days before orientation. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a possibility that I could get accepted off of the waitlist if I'm currently attending a post-bac? I'm doing mine at Mississippi College and should get my grades at the beginning of May (which I sent FSU an update on). Is it possible they are waiting for my first semester grades to determine my acceptance? Or should I give up hope on this application season and just try again in June?

I went to FSU for undergrad and this is my first choice. Crossing my fingers for my interview this week!

Does anyone know when FSU will stop offering interviews? Just wondering if there is any point holding out hope...

Does anyone know when FSU will stop offering interviews? Just wondering if there is any point holding out hope...

They don't usually release this information. They want to maintain their ability to extend the interview season as they see fit depending on their candidate pool. In my opinion, It is definitely not too late to receive an interview. However, if you have not yet received interview/acceptances from other schools at this point, you should begin making plans under the assumption you may not matriculate this year and will have to reapply next year.

What is the typical class schedule for M1 and M2?

There really isn't a "typical" schedule. They have been making lots of curriculum changes the last few years. Hopefully there is a first or second year here that knows a bit more.

Received an interview this afternoon for March 4th :)

My application has been under review since October. Is there hope left? :(

My application has been under review since October. Is there hope left? :(

Mine was complete in September and I interviewed 2 weeks ago. EgyptFlower doesn't even have his/her interview until March. Sounds like things are still rolling.:cool:

hey guys, i have two questions. does anyone know what kind of tablet the entering class will have? during my interview, the tour guides were saying that the committee was still deciding.

secondly, how many people brought/are bringing their parents to second look? i really want to bring my parents, but they're afraid of being the only parents there lol. thanks :) good luck to anyone interviewing!

a friend of mine got an interview invite today for the 18th. Is it wait list at this point? and if so, what has the movement of the wait list been like in previous classes?

hey guys, i have two questions. does anyone know what kind of tablet the entering class will have? during my interview, the tour guides were saying that the committee was still deciding.

secondly, how many people brought/are bringing their parents to second look? i really want to bring my parents, but they're afraid of being the only parents there lol. thanks :) good luck to anyone interviewing!

Also are they still giving out iPod touches?

I'm bringing my parents to second look, a friend of mine (current M3) told me most students bring their parents.

They usually wait till the last second before getting the laptops to try and get the most recent model. The real value is the software loaded on with them. Many people liked the tablet feature but I found people tended to use it more at first and then went back to typing with occasionally circling something. I rarely used it, but then I stopped going to lecture too.

There has been some talk for a while to stop the laptop/PDA stuff and get an iPad, but I don't think that will come to fruition because of the battery and what not. Originally, the laptop was more because earlier classes weren't great with technology and it is easier to replace parts when all machines are the same. Now, they will probably stick with it because of the computer based testing and pushing updates, but I know schools that do computer testing without mandatory machines as well. They will bludgeon you to death with stuff that is probably second nature to you, but not to them. (This may be biased since I'm a tech person)

As far as open house, bring parents if you want. A lot of people do. If they are going to help fund your education, it may be nice for them to see what they are funding. If not, it would still be nice to show them if they want.

If you haven't gotten an interview yet, there is still hope but I would operate under the assumption you won't get an interview at this point. If you don't have any other acceptances, you need to get the ball rolling on what you're going to do to strengthen your app during the off time.

If we're undecided, we can only hold our acceptance to FSU until April 15th correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.