2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, you guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just called in as well. Still under consideration. OOS 3.75 GPA 36 MCAT. Interviewed mid Jan.

Wow if you were in-state you definitely would have heard back. I really hope you get in, with those numbers you deserve it! Good luck!

In-state 4.0 GPA 29R MCAT. Interviewed Jan 9, and still haven't heard back. Anyone else in a similar situation (i.e. in-state, Jan. interview)? I kind of don't want to hear a rejection over the phone, so I'm hesitating to call. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
In-state 4.0 GPA 29R MCAT. Interviewed Jan 9, and still haven't heard back. Anyone else in a similar situation (i.e. in-state, Jan. interview)? I kind of don't want to hear a rejection over the phone, so I'm hesitating to call. :/
Hello... I probably met you since I interviewed on the same day! They may not have gotten to your file, but I didn't know until I called because my portal hasn't changed and I haven't gotten a letter yet. Just wait 1-2 more days for the mail to arrive, then call. I'm all the way in Florida so it will take longer to reach me than others.

UPDATE: I just received a bunch of Financial Aid info for accepted students via email... if you got them, that is an indication, perhaps.

Last edited:
Hello... I probably met you since I interviewed on the same day! They may not have gotten to your file, but I didn't know until I called because my portal hasn't changed and I haven't gotten a letter yet. Just wait 1-2 more days for the mail to arrive, then call. I'm all the way in Florida so it will take longer to reach me than others.

The frustrating thing is that I live one hour from Indianapolis. Based on what people on here have said, I probably should have gotten something in the mail by now if I was going to get anything at all. So I'm thinking I'll have to wait another month.

General question though: Are rejection letters also sent out on/around the 15th of the month? I know the email I got after my interview said that acceptance letters are sent out around the 15th, and "non-acceptance letters" are sent out "periodically" throughout the coming months or whatever. So I've been operating under the assumption that if you get a letter in the mail on the 16th, 17th, 18th, etc., it's good news.

I would call. Since its so late in the game they are telling status on the phone because they know people are rapping up on where they want to attend. So go ahead and call. I have been accepted n portal has not changed and got nothing in the mail. Just emails. So emails are the prefect indicator! Good luck n hello to my fellow classmates!! Here I come IUSM!!

Wow if you were in-state you definitely would have heard back. I really hope you get in, with those numbers you deserve it! Good luck!

I appreciate the kind words! I got my fingers crossed!

I dont think this year is my year guys... Congrats to everyone accepted though!!! Good luck everyone!!!

hey guys!!! I've been accepted!!!

Class of 2017!!! Super excited!!!

General question though: Are rejection letters also sent out on/around the 15th of the month? I know the email I got after my interview said that acceptance letters are sent out around the 15th, and "non-acceptance letters" are sent out "periodically" throughout the coming months or whatever. So I've been operating under the assumption that if you get a letter in the mail on the 16th, 17th, 18th, etc., it's good news.

I got my acceptance letter by mail in September (EDP). A friend of mine was rejected and that came via email. I don't think they mail anything but acceptances anymore, so if anything comes in the mail it's good news. The envelope was super thin, so don't let that scare you. It only had a couple pieces of paper in it and everything else comes via email. The rejection was emailed 6 weeks or so after the interview. Hope that helps.

Yeah, it does, thanks a lot! I interviewed on Jan. 9, and on Friday afternoon (Feb. 22) I called the admissions office, and they said I was still under consideration. So fingers crossed (I think?) that I don't get anything from IU via email anytime soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked my portal and still under review as an OOSer. Interviewed in November. If I want to send in my transcript does anyone know the address of where to send it? Just to the general admission dept. at IU in indianapolis? Also has there been an answer as to whether or not the lottery will happen before the May 15 deadline?

Before May 15 is their goal - called them this afternoon.

Last edited:

Similar stats, interviewed in October (re-app). Still waiting. :(

I wish IUSM knew how much I loved them, lol.

Committee met last Wednesday to avoid having to meet over their spring break. However, letters won't be going out until Friday or next Monday. And the wait continues...

Committee met last Wednesday to avoid having to meet over their spring break. However, letters won't be going out until Friday or next Monday. And the wait continues...

Do you mean the coming Wednesday or last Wednesday?

Does this school do silent rejections? On my interview date they said some individuals who interviewed very early have to wait till the spring to get a decision. They didn't say whether these unfortunate souls were rejected or accepted.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the order they review is based on score. So I guess my score is low and looking at a doomed fate.

Does this school do silent rejections? On my interview date they said some individuals who interviewed very early have to wait till the spring to get a decision. They didn't say whether these unfortunate souls were rejected or accepted.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the order they review is based on score. So I guess my score is low and looking at a doomed fate.

I'm in the same boat with you. I just wish I would have a decision either yes, no, or wait list instead of this silence...

Can anyone tell me what it means to have "strong ties to the state of Indiana" ?? Also, how do you let them know about existing ties to the state? I haven't lived in Indiana but do have family there and many of my family members went to college there and my sister is in grad school there. Does this only apply to people who have worked/lived there personally but haven't established residency or those who have moved out of the state?

Thanks for any help.

The letters are being sent out today. I'm afraid to call and ask because I'm pretty sure they can recognize my voice by now. Sara and I talk so often we are pretty much dating.

I called, they said check the portal

edit: I dunno she said something blah blah portal,. so i said ok....

Last edited:
getting ready to submit my financial info soon. Blindly hoping that IU has some type of (non-primary care) scholarship for me...

Can anyone accepted this month confirm the change of status in portal??

I feel like if people have received acceptance notifications this month, we would have definitely heard about it on here by now.

I was told by someone who had a meeting in the admission's office that the committee is meeting Monday so letter's would be sent then. That conflicts with the information that the committee already met. Either way, I expect people to hear back sometime next week.

Anyone hear anything yet? Still nothing on my end. But that would make sense if they're actually meeting today and not two Wednesdays ago like one poster said.

Called in today (3/18) and was informed that acceptance letters were sent out last Friday. I suppose it is possible that the committee could already be meeting for next months rounds today?? But, they tend to meet on Wednesday's a little closer to the 15th.

I called, letters were sent out last Friday. They said I was still under review.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone's gotten a letter yet. I live in Bloomington, so I think if anything was sent from Indianapolis it would have gotten to me by now.

Anyone accepted with 3.6 cum. , 29 MCAT this cycle?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!

I just got my letter in the mail today.

After being waitlisted last year, quitting my job and moving to go back to grad school, interviewing this past september and being forced to wait all these extra months, I finally got in!!! can't even describe how gratifying it is.

My stats: in state, 2nd time applicant. 31 MCAT. 3.55 undergrad cum gpa, 4.0 grad gpa in a biomedical engineering program.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!

I just got my letter in the mail today.

After being waitlisted last year, quitting my job and moving to go back to grad school, interviewing this past september and being forced to wait all these extra months, I finally got in!!! can't even describe how gratifying it is.

My stats: in state, 2nd time applicant. 31 MCAT. 3.55 undergrad cum gpa, 4.0 grad gpa in a biomedical engineering program.

Congrats!!

Wondering if IU has sent any post interview rejection yet?? Interview on sept but no news yet...

Fellow SDN-ers- I have finally gotten my letter of acceptance!!! So glad it only took me one year out of college to accomplish this and no longer. :D

Whoever posted that they sent letters out either last week on Friday or yesterday (Monday), I believe yesterday they must have been sent out. I am from Terre Haute, so the letters could not have taken more than a day to reach my home. I hope this is useful to all of you still waiting, both in-state and OOS applicants.

Best of luck everyone, maybe I will run into some of you in the near future! :thumbup:

Just a quick roundup of my stats for reference: 3.7 undergrad GPA, 3.6 GPA M.S. Physiology GPA (only after first semester, still in progress), 33P MCAT

Last edited:
Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering when did you have your interview??

If my portal hasn't changed does that mean no letter for me?

Accepted!

In-state
First interview in October
Second interview in January
GPA 3.95
MCAT 36S
Letter received near Indianapolis March 19
No portal update as of March 20 morning

Accepted as well! I live in Bloomington, and I got a letter yesterday in the mail. No change in portal or anything (I'm convinced it will say "Under Consideration" for the rest of my life).

Other info:
In-state
January 9 interview
GPA 4.0, B.S. Biochemistry
MCAT 29R

Second interview? They had you come back?

Yeah, they said that sometimes they request second interviews if they want more information about an applicant. They emailed me about a week before the day they wanted me to come and squeezed me in first thing in the morning on a normal interview day.

yea. i called and they said a letter was sent. not sure what that means... do they mail rejections?

I assume getting a letter is good? I've watched this topic carefully and no one who applied regular decision reported getting a rejection letter.

As for me, I expected nothing this month.

Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering when did you have your interview??

If you're talking to me since your post came right after mine, my interview was Jan. 15th and I received my letter Mar. 19th.

Again, reposting my stats for other people looking at this thread weighing their chances-
In-state
-3.7 GPA overall undergrad (~3.6 science I think)
-3.6 GPA MS Physiology (not complete until May)
-33P MCAT (14P, 11B, 8V)
-Not really that much volunteer work surprisingly- only two 1 week-long trips to Gulf Coast, but I have been volunteering for medical clinics at a homeless shelter once a week since Oct. last year.
-No research at all

I hope that last point on research alleviates the stress anxiety in the few other people like me who never really wanted to do research.

Best luck to everybody! See many of you down the road perhaps :)

thank you for replying back! I interviewed Feb 13 and I am so nervous bc I didnt get anything in the mail this month..Idk if I am being impatient or what, but I am so worried nonetheless!

So has anyone who interviewed Feb 13 heard anything yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.