2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awesome, Kaustikos! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone, thanks for the info, just wondering about the different hospitals for all of the campuses, maybe if a 3rd or 4th year could tell us about the patient software systems for all of the indiana hospitals including the ones for indy, like wishard (eg eclinicalnotes, epic, etc.)? also, sorry if this sounds odd, but the only scrubs i have are teal/seagreen, are there any hospitals that require a certain scrub color/use of specific scrubs? i heard about some hospitals having really strict rules about their scrubs, like you have to wear a specific color and/or can't wear them more than 15 feet away from the hospital, etc. Thanks!!!:)

you are forbidden from wearing scrubs into or out of the hospital, it is a violation of hospital and University policy. As Kaustikos mentioned, you'll be provided a pin number to get scrubs from a machine in the hospital when do work requiring scrubs (OR, etc.). You'll change once you get there.

Not sure that would be that big of a deal though, never heard of someone harping on scrub colors :laugh:

Hi All,

Great questions and answers on the thread. I just wanted to know for comparison, how does it work if you decide to stay at the satellite campus for 3rd/4th yr? Do you get similar options as those listed in the previous post? Can you elect to do some rotations at the Indy campus? Are you basically stuck at your campus for all rotations?Would staying at NW hurt your chances at matching in a competitive residency such as ophtho, rad. oncology, or neurosurg?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Great questions and answers on the thread. I just wanted to know for comparison, how does it work if you decide to stay at the satellite campus for 3rd/4th yr? Do you get similar options as those listed in the previous post? Can you elect to do some rotations at the Indy campus? Are you basically stuck at your campus for all rotations?Would staying at NW hurt your chances at matching in a competitive residency such as ophtho, rad. oncology, or neurosurg?

You have the option to do select rotations outside of satellite campuses. If you want to do, say, plastics subsurgical, you can choose to do it at Indy b/c most satellite campuses don't have the staff/potential to offer that. Emergency Med is mandatory rotation at Indy. I think you can also do Peds at Riley. I know that certain core rotations have to be in Indiana, so I'm sure that trying to do certain rotations (Peds, Family Med) can be accommodated. I was wanting to do Fam in Eville, but my schedule wouldn't permit it because Eville doesn't offer it the month I have FM.

Finally rejected post- interview. It only took 8 months. :laugh:

Has anyone gotten off the wait list yet? I know May 15 was a big movement day.

Has anyone gotten off the wait list yet? I know May 15 was a big movement day.

I talked to the director of admissions last week. They said that they typically overfill the class each year. Then people start withdrawing up until the May 15th deadline. Once the class is underfilled they meet each week to pick students off the waitlist. The first round of admissions will go out around June 1st.

Then there's a ripple effect where people will get acceptances from other schools and withdraw and the committee continues to meet. He used the analogy of a wave that "ebbs and flows" with people withdrawing and acceptances going out.

The acceptance rate off the waitlist has "been as low as 20% and as high as 80%".

Dear Fellow IU Med Fans,

Hi, sorry for the late response. Just checked this site after a crazy weekend of work and hosting a friend. Thank you all for your feedback, especially Kaustikos and adenocard. It’s like I finally got into medical school, and now I am just trying to have the most vivid dreams for the next steps, specifically doing well on step 1 and being a valuable team member on the clerkships.You are so helpful!!!

If I may please, to the rejected applicants. I apologize if this hurts, but I want to help the way Kaustikos and adenocard just helped us incomings. All of the quotes about rejection may seem hackneyed--until you put your own personal meaning into them! Here is my quote, I think from Churchill--"Failure is not fatal and success is not final; it is the courage to continue that counts." If you got rejected around now, it is painful because they strung you along for a long time. The same thing happened to me last year; last year I only got one interview in like early fall, got strung along through thanksgiving and valentine's and got dumped may-june. It's a bummer and I'm sorry. :(

I just got in a couple of months ago. I have been applying to medical school for many many years and truly forgot how many entire cycles I got rejected without even a single interview, just months and months of waiting and then a bunch of skinny cold envelopes. All I remember is feeling bummed out about being rejected and feeling scared as in, how long/what will it take for me to get in, and can I even get in? The heart wants what it wants, and if you are committed to a US alpha omega alpha school and you are willing to sacrifice, it ought to happen--eventually. As one who has seen it being rejected so many times, it might be messed up, but the world might need good doctors who have been rejected a whole bunch of times and have that personality profile of someone who had to fight for the privilege of being a physician. Sorry, that is just me trying to explain how some people neglect and waste what others give their whole lives for.

If you want to keep applying, just put your own meaning into the painful rejection, put your own value into your current work and studies, and you will eventually do great!!! The world might look down on your current job (my best friend was a rickshaw driver bf he got in and I am a glorified delivery boy) but as long as you put your heart, soul, and love into your current job, you are that much closer to getting into medical school, excelling in medical school, and being a great doctor! Best wishes!!!:)

Dear Fellow IU Med Fans,

Hi, sorry for the late response. Just checked this site after a crazy weekend of work and hosting a friend. Thank you all for your feedback, especially Kaustikos and adenocard. It’s like I finally got into medical school, and now I am just trying to have the most vivid dreams for the next steps, specifically doing well on step 1 and being a valuable team member on the clerkships.You are so helpful!!!

If I may please, to the rejected applicants. I apologize if this hurts, but I want to help the way Kaustikos and adenocard just helped us incomings. All of the quotes about rejection may seem hackneyed--until you put your own personal meaning into them! Here is my quote, I think from Churchill--"Failure is not fatal and success is not final; it is the courage to continue that counts." If you got rejected around now, it is painful because they strung you along for a long time. The same thing happened to me last year; last year I only got one interview in like early fall, got strung along through thanksgiving and valentine's and got dumped may-june. It's a bummer and I'm sorry. :(

I just got in a couple of months ago. I have been applying to medical school for many many years and truly forgot how many entire cycles I got rejected without even a single interview, just months and months of waiting and then a bunch of skinny cold envelopes. All I remember is feeling bummed out about being rejected and feeling scared as in, how long/what will it take for me to get in, and can I even get in? The heart wants what it wants, and if you are committed to a US alpha omega alpha school and you are willing to sacrifice, it ought to happen--eventually. As one who has seen it being rejected so many times, it might be messed up, but the world might need good doctors who have been rejected a whole bunch of times and have that personality profile of someone who had to fight for the privilege of being a physician. Sorry, that is just me trying to explain how some people neglect and waste what others give their whole lives for.

If you want to keep applying, just put your own meaning into the painful rejection, put your own value into your current work and studies, and you will eventually do great!!! The world might look down on your current job (my best friend was a rickshaw driver bf he got in and I am a glorified delivery boy) but as long as you put your heart, soul, and love into your current job, you are that much closer to getting into medical school, excelling in medical school, and being a great doctor! Best wishes!!!:)
:thumbup:

Dear Fellow IU Med Fans,

What were ur GPA and mcat scores? Also, are u an in state student?

What were ur GPA and mcat scores? Also, are u an in state student?
Hi, good evening, checked no on amcas for are you underprivileged, non underrep minority, science gpa just a bit below 3.0, mcat 29 (5th or 6th try, forget exactly), as out of state as it gets, did not know anyone in indiana before the interview date, never had been to indiana before the interview date (except maybe driving/flying over), just read a whole lot about purdue and indiana basketball and its most dominant personalities (you know which two I'm talking about!!!) :)

Random question for someone who is an MS1+...I was talking to my friend who matriculated a few years ago and he was talking about how they knew the campus most people at the White Coat ceremony would be attending. For a class so large that just seems strange. So my question is, do they announce campuses each person is attending or put it in the program handouts, or was that just from people meeting each other on the previous day of orientation?

Hi, good evening, checked no on amcas for are you underprivileged, non underrep minority, science gpa just a bit below 3.0, mcat 29 (5th or 6th try, forget exactly), as out of state as it gets, did not know anyone in indiana before the interview date, never had been to indiana before the interview date (except maybe driving/flying over), just read a whole lot about purdue and indiana basketball and its most dominant personalities (you know which two I'm talking about!!!) :)

Wow, congrats man! There is hope after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question for someone who is an MS1+...I was talking to my friend who matriculated a few years ago and he was talking about how they knew the campus most people at the White Coat ceremony would be attending. For a class so large that just seems strange. So my question is, do they announce campuses each person is attending or put it in the program handouts, or was that just from people meeting each other on the previous day of orientation?

Yup. They do it by campus sites. So they say the campus and then the names of the students going to that campus. That and people from the same campus sit together. It was funny because they call Gary "Northwest". But everyone knows what that means... :smuggrin:

Does IU strongly prefer in-state applicants?

Oh yeah. But they also like people from Illinois and Michigan.

Anyone know what to expect on orientation day? I know it's a long way off and we will get the schedule a some point, but looking for a student to give a summary of what kind of things they do. Is it a full day? Presentations? Lots of down time for socializing? Meet others from your regional campus?

Anyone know what to expect on orientation day? I know it's a long way off and we will get the schedule a some point, but looking for a student to give a summary of what kind of things they do. Is it a full day? Presentations? Lots of down time for socializing? Meet others from your regional campus?

It's supposed to be an all day event. The morning involves breakfast/mild socializing and you're supposed to meet with the class rep of MS2 w/ your classmates if you're regional. You then have lunch and... there was a time lapse between that and the actual orientation. Which was a great time to get your ID taken care of. Oh, also, the option to join/sign up for organizations like AMA/etc. Orientation is in the afternoon at a different location. Be sure to arrive kinda early/have your parents arrive early cause the place gets packed.

Also... I think if memory serves me correctly, you have orientation at the same time "Devour Downtown" goes on. It's not particularly important but it's key to keep that in mind because that means a lot of restaurants will have reservations, so you might wanna look out for that. It's actually a cool thing where you get great deals on food, but it also means you'll be SOL if you wait until that day to find a place to eat afterwards.

I talked to the director of admissions last week. They said that they typically overfill the class each year. Then people start withdrawing up until the May 15th deadline. Once the class is underfilled they meet each week to pick students off the waitlist. The first round of admissions will go out around June 1st.

Then there's a ripple effect where people will get acceptances from other schools and withdraw and the committee continues to meet. He used the analogy of a wave that "ebbs and flows" with people withdrawing and acceptances going out.

The acceptance rate off the waitlist has "been as low as 20% and as high as 80%".

Dang that's some pretty good info you got. All admissions told me was that they don't start pulling from the wait-list until middle of June.

Anyone who did the second chance lottery hear anything back yet?

It's supposed to be an all day event. The morning involves breakfast/mild socializing and you're supposed to meet with the class rep of MS2 w/ your classmates if you're regional. You then have lunch and... there was a time lapse between that and the actual orientation. Which was a great time to get your ID taken care of. Oh, also, the option to join/sign up for organizations like AMA/etc. Orientation is in the afternoon at a different location. Be sure to arrive kinda early/have your parents arrive early cause the place gets packed.

Also... I think if memory serves me correctly, you have orientation at the same time "Devour Downtown" goes on. It's not particularly important but it's key to keep that in mind because that means a lot of restaurants will have reservations, so you might wanna look out for that. It's actually a cool thing where you get great deals on food, but it also means you'll be SOL if you wait until that day to find a place to eat afterwards.

Hi again everyone, hope you are all having a great start to Memorial Day Weekend!!! Thank you AGAIN Kaustikos for the advice, you saved us incomings and our parents a lot of stress, hunger, and crankiness... Thank you for the congrats GypsyHummus, I appreciate it, doing my best to do better than my premed record:naughty:... Sorry for the delay MCAT Rudy Ruettiger (fine film, SUPER soundtrack btw :D), the official website is http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/studentdevelopment/events/orientation/ ; from what I understand the info will be posted on the oncourse software site but they just have not loaded it yet... Just got off work so mine is just beginning but everyone have a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend! Wouldn't dare complain about it, just noting that this is pretty much the last free summer of our lives. Wow, the stuff love songs, poems, and television advertisements are made of <SIGH>...

I finally heard back from my second chance lottery drawing and I ended up scoring Indy! :)

Not that it's the end of the world if I'm in E-ville or anywhere else for that matter, but definitely happy I scored here.

I know orientation in Indy is Friday Aug 9. I assumed the orientations at the regional campuses would be the following week, but I just heard that regional orientations are held BEFORE the main orientation in Indy, can anyone confirm that this this true?

Just trying to figure out how long I have to move to my regional campus location. Thanks.

I know orientation in Indy is Friday Aug 9. I assumed the orientations at the regional campuses would be the following week, but I just heard that regional orientations are held BEFORE the main orientation in Indy, can anyone confirm that this this true?

Just trying to figure out how long I have to move to my regional campus location. Thanks.

Bloomington's orientation is the Monday (Aug. 12th) after the main one in Indy. I would guess that the other campuses also have their orientation on that Monday, but it might vary from center to center. I would call your campus to confirm, but I doubt orientation for the centers would be prior to the main one.

Bloomington's orientation is the Monday (Aug. 12th) after the main one in Indy. I would guess that the other campuses also have their orientation on that Monday, but it might vary from center to center. I would call your campus to confirm, but I doubt orientation for the centers would be prior to the main one.

So I emailed my regional campus and apparently they used to hold regional campus orientation before the main one in Indy but in recent years they changed it and now the regional orientations are the Monday after the Indianapolis orientation/white coat ceremony. Good to know.

So I emailed my regional campus and apparently they used to hold regional campus orientation before the main one in Indy but in recent years they changed it and now the regional orientations are the Monday after the Indianapolis orientation/white coat ceremony. Good to know.

Yeah,
I thought mine was before so I moved to Eville a week before orientation. I finally get an email that it's the Monday after the main orientation. :laugh:

Talked to admissions office. Alternates will not be selected for a couple weeks as they wait for second chance lottery notices to get to people.

Has anyone on the alternate list heard anything from IUSM yet for 2013?? Please post here as soon as you hear something!!! :scared::scared::scared::luck:

Talked to admissions office. Alternates will not be selected for a couple weeks as they wait for second chance lottery notices to get to people.

Does anyone know if a waitlistee is to get accepted, is it pretty much "Hey! We got an opening at (insert name of campus)! You're going there!" or is it "Congrats, we want you - let us know your preference from (Eville, NW, FW, Indi, TH, etc etc etc) available campuses"

You will likely not get a choice. They will just be filling as needed. Acceptances will likely be mailed until the end of June then more direct, expedited contact after that. This is all information I have gathered from conversation with the Admissions Office. As far as I can tell, no alternates have been accepted yet.

Does anyone know if a waitlistee is to get accepted, is it pretty much "Hey! We got an opening at (insert name of campus)! You're going there!" or is it "Congrats, we want you - let us know your preference from (Eville, NW, FW, Indi, TH, etc etc etc) available campuses"

I'm pretty sure it's the former. There may be some spots open for you to choose but they'll be at the campuses that are not full (those nobody else wants).

I'm also on the waitlist and just have a random question. I live by the Northwest IU Campus. It would be cheaper for me to live at home vs. renting an apartment in another city. In the case that Northwest and Campus X are the only campuses left, and I get placed into Campus X...Is it possible to switch into the Northwest Campus with my situation or are all campus decisions THAT finalized?

Still no word from any of the alternates? Any official contact with IUSM at all? :eek::confused:

This happened on Monday, 6/3/13. I expect we will start hearing things around the 15th.

So looking back at previous years it seems people received alternate list acceptances at the end of May. Any reason this year would be different? Do we have any idea if this will turn out to be an 80% or a 20% alternate list acceptance year?

So looking back at previous years it seems people received alternate list acceptances at the end of May. Any reason this year would be different? Do we have any idea if this will turn out to be an 80% or a 20% alternate list acceptance year?

I gave a short explanation why. They are waiting on information to be dispersed from second chance lottery and the repercussions from that news.

There is no way to know what the percent taken from the alternate list will be. No one except the committee and maybe some of the admission office people will know. Plus, that number could change as the fall approaches. It's not set in stone.

Does anyone have an idea about the percentage of alternates accepted last year? Also, how does acquiring student loans through FASFA work if we are accepted in late June?

I'm also on the waitlist and just have a random question. I live by the Northwest IU Campus. It would be cheaper for me to live at home vs. renting an apartment in another city. In the case that Northwest and Campus X are the only campuses left, and I get placed into Campus X...Is it possible to switch into the Northwest Campus with my situation or are all campus decisions THAT finalized?

Unfortunately, they don't take any of that into consideration. I have a house, a wife, and a baby on the way, but I'll have to rent an apartment at a regional campus as well. Basically IUSM wanted to be as objective as possible and avoid comparing peoples' excuses, which is understandable. Good luck though!

Still have heard no recent acceptances from anyone on the waitlist... Blows me away that we are nearing end of June and there still seems to have no activity!

Still have heard no recent acceptances from anyone on the waitlist... Blows me away that we are nearing end of June and there still seems to have no activity!
Yeah, I know, scary! So, has there been anyone one on the alternate list that has heard anything? I wasn't sure if maybe some alt's were accepted in May.

I talked to the admissions office last Monday, and they said that the alternate list won't start moving until the next couple of weeks...meaning most likely the last week of June / early July... :/

Wait lister here-

I had scheduled an appt with Dr. Smartt this morning to discuss my re-application. When I sat down in her office she handed me my acceptance letter! Letters are going out today....I was just a little impatient :oops:

What up Terre Haute?

Wait lister here-

I had scheduled an appt with Dr. Smartt this morning to discuss my re-application. When I sat down in her office she handed me my acceptance letter! Letters are going out today....I was just a little impatient :oops:

What up Terre Haute?

Check the Application Status site. Mine has changed to "Accepted" and has my campus.

Terre Haute as well.

Have any other waitlisters checked their status in the application portal? It was my understanding that even people who are accepted often don't have their portal status updated for several weeks.

Also, I'm wondering if only Terre Haute spaces were released or if all campuses might be picking up alternates today. I talked to admissions today and they said they won't be sending out the large swath of alternate acceptance letters until about 10 days later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.