2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trust me, it's plenty. I'd call it a beer and burgers budget, meaning you aren't eating Top Ramen like you are in college but you aren't eating steak every night? Know what I mean?

Also, are you calculating a budget with respect to the school year being 10 months? Those COA numbers are only based on the school year not the 12 month calendar year.
12 months. It seems ridiculous to make it just 10 months. What am I supposed to do with the furniture and apartment during those 2 months.

Hello future Stritchers!

A few M1s have made a facebook group for your class. Some of our class (and maybe some M2s) will stay in there for now to answer any questions you might have. Come join us! Congrats to those that are accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear from schools!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561678707195593/

Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the group.

hey cool, thanks. was wondering if we should make one ourselves, but this is better

Members don't see this ad :)
12 months. It seems ridiculous to make it just 10 months. What am I supposed to do with the furniture and apartment during those 2 months.

I'm also wondering how students approach this. Do they just make the budget work for 12 months, or do students usually find a paid summer position?

If you really don't have enough cash to swing rent for 2 months (seriously?), move back home and sublet your place for 2 months.

Or, find a place that's cheaper than what is allocated for your living expenses. Then use the extra cash you save over 10 months to pay for 2 months.
I don't know if I have enough cash, I'm just asking, lol. I wonder how students do it, because everything I've found on craigslist for Forest Park and Oak Park is like $800 a month at the cheapest. I know people get roommates, but is there some listing to find people looking for roommates?

I don't know if I have enough cash, I'm just asking, lol. I wonder how students do it, because everything I've found on craigslist for Forest Park and Oak Park is like $800 a month at the cheapest. I know people get roommates, but is there some listing to find people looking for roommates?

You can definitely pay less than $800 a month in FP or OP. Most people get roommates -- some meet at second look, some find each other on the facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/561678707195593/), and some join houses of older students who have lost a roommate for whatever reason.

As for the 2 months, you can stretch your loans if you need to. For students who need more money for the summer, you can certainly work. The STAR program is a summer research program that provides a stipend that should cover you. And of course you can get a research job outside of STAR (or any job for that matter).

I'm also wondering how students approach this. Do they just make the budget work for 12 months, or do students usually find a paid summer position?

This is how every medical school I've seen does it. They calculate only for the months that you have classes. If you have classes for 9 months, they calculate living expenses for those 9 months. If you have them for 12 months, they do the entire year.

Schools aren't going to try to generalize how their students will be spending free months. Some may go to other countries to vacation or go on medical trips. Others may work from home or do research. Some may simply relax and travel and visit friends/family. Also, keep in mind that different schools make different assumptions (food costs, travel costs, living costs, insurance costs, etc.) and not all of those apply identically to every student. Take any financial predictions you see with a grain of salt. They're simply that: generalized predictions.

Anyone know if Stritch is receptive to letters of interest/intent?

Has anyone received letters from Stritch yet from Mondays round?

I'm not sure if it made any difference, but I sent one and received email confirmation...so probably? Mine was more of an update letter though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who did you sent it to?

I emailed them an update also to [email protected]. If you want to be fancy, you can mail it to:

Loyola University Chicago
Stritch School of Medicine
Office of Medical School Admissions
2160 South First Avenue
Maywood, IL 60153

Also, I just checked my status page and it says "status feedback not yet defined!!!" And yes, it has all the exclamation points after it. Does anyone know what that means?

I emailed them an update also to [email protected]. If you want to be fancy, you can mail it to:

Loyola University Chicago
Stritch School of Medicine
Office of Medical School Admissions
2160 South First Avenue
Maywood, IL 60153

Also, I just checked my status page and it says "status feedback not yet defined!!!" And yes, it has all the exclamation points after it. Does anyone know what that means?

Mine too. I'm wondering this as well. Stritch is my first choice and somehow this is the first place I got an interview. If I am accepted, I'm going. That's why I'm wondering if they are receptive to Letters of Intent/Interest.

This is how every medical school I've seen does it. They calculate only for the months that you have classes. If you have classes for 9 months, they calculate living expenses for those 9 months. If you have them for 12 months, they do the entire year.

Schools aren't going to try to generalize how their students will be spending free months. Some may go to other countries to vacation or go on medical trips. Others may work from home or do research. Some may simply relax and travel and visit friends/family. Also, keep in mind that different schools make different assumptions (food costs, travel costs, living costs, insurance costs, etc.) and not all of those apply identically to every student. Take any financial predictions you see with a grain of salt. They're simply that: generalized predictions.

Emory's COA is for 12 months

Mine too. I'm wondering this as well. Stritch is my first choice and somehow this is the first place I got an interview. If I am accepted, I'm going. That's why I'm wondering if they are receptive to Letters of Intent/Interest.

So that's a post interview status? What was the pre-interview status sequence? Mine has said complete and under review for 6 months now...

Sent Stritch an in the area email last night. Will let you guys know what happens. :xf:

Sent Stritch an in the area email last night. Will let you guys know what happens. :xf:

i sent one around mid/late december, and they said they will let the admissions committee know this information and that if i were to be granted an interview i would receive a call/email within the next two weeks.

Call never came.

So that's a post interview status? What was the pre-interview status sequence? Mine has said complete and under review for 6 months now...

I've had the "not yet defined!!!!" status since I received my interview invite up through the present (accepted). My understanding is that is how it is for most (all?) applicants.

yes, it is a post-interview status. Prior to my interview it says under review. I got a call and an email invite. But now I'm post-interview and waiting to hear their decision.

I've had the "not yet defined!!!!" status since I received my interview invite up through the present (accepted). My understanding is that is how it is for most (all?) applicants.

Well, when I had my interview, they said that the group of us would know Jan 7th--if you got a call accepted, if not you get a letter--either waitlisted or denied. I did not get a call and am still waiting for a letter, so I do not know what this status means. Waitlisted?

yes, it is a post-interview status. Prior to my interview it says under review. I got a call and an email invite. But now I'm post-interview and waiting to hear their decision.

It's the post-interview invite status.

It's the post-interview invite status.

This can't be a post-interview status. I submitted my secondary super late (11-25) and last time I checked, on 12-21, they had still not marked me as complete. I saw the "status not defined" thing today. Anyone else?

This can't be a post-interview status. I submitted my secondary super late (11-25) and last time I checked, on 12-21, they had still not marked me as complete. I saw the "status not defined" thing today. Anyone else?

I bet you get an ii this coming week. My status changed to "status not defined" and I got the invite soon after.

The same thing happened to me...As of last Thursday I had not been marked complete and then I called the office. They told me to call back in two weeks. Then I checked my status today and it said the same thing...Has anyone who has received this status not received an interview invite?

The same thing happened to me...As of last Thursday I had not been marked complete and then I called the office. They told me to call back in two weeks. Then I checked my status today and it said the same thing...Has anyone who has received this status not received an interview invite?

I'm in the same position!! I was incomplete on Thursday. Friday morning my status read "status feedback not yet defined!!!!!!!!" (maybe a few less !!! but I dont remember...:)) I called yesterday to ask when I would be reviewed because I have an update I'd like to send. The lady was super nice and told me that my app was with the reviewers and she would let them know I called but she couldn't specify when my app would actually be reviewed. Checked today and my status reads "you application is currently being reviewed. If an interview is granted you will be contacted by the Office of Admissions before march"

I hope that helps??

Hey guys, so I had kind of an awkward interview here and am waiting on a decision. Sooo you can only imagine how much I'm freaking out during the time to wait. To those who were wait listed... was it a bad interview? I want to kind of brace myself for the decision haha.. I know no one REALLY knows but i just kind of wanted to get a survey.. I want to get into this school SO badly...

Has anyone who was put on -pre-interview hold received an II? I am thinking that is essentially a rejection... at this point assuming there aren't many interview spots left.

Has anyone who was put on -pre-interview hold received an II? I am thinking that is essentially a rejection... at this point assuming there aren't many interview spots left.

Someone posted earlier in the thread that they were on pre-interivew hold and then received an II. I think it was about 2 months ago. Can't find the exact post at the moment.

I'm in the same position!! I was incomplete on Thursday. Friday morning my status read "status feedback not yet defined!!!!!!!!" (maybe a few less !!! but I dont remember...:)) I called yesterday to ask when I would be reviewed because I have an update I'd like to send. The lady was super nice and told me that my app was with the reviewers and she would let them know I called but she couldn't specify when my app would actually be reviewed. Checked today and my status reads "you application is currently being reviewed. If an interview is granted you will be contacted by the Office of Admissions before march"

I hope that helps??

Mine switched from the "status feedback not defined" to "application is being reviewed" yesterday. Pre-interview. :(

Has anyone received a letter from the interviews where decisions were made Jan 7th? I'm still waiting and have not heard. I want to call but is that too forward or awkward?

Thank you yes that does help. Mine did the same thing. Just switch today to the "under review" status...More waiting now.

Mine switched from the "status feedback not defined" to "application is being reviewed" yesterday. Pre-interview. :(

I dont think its a bad thing to be "under review" after getting the "status feedback not defined" status...we just don't want it to switch to the hold status, "has been reviewed". how long were most people under review before getting an Ii or being put on hold?

I dont think its a bad thing to be "under review" after getting the "status feedback not defined" status...we just don't want it to switch to the hold status, "has been reviewed". how long were most people under review before getting an Ii or being put on hold?

I've been under review since August

I got switched to the hold status earlier this week and I'm just glad I haven't gotten an official rejection letter yet :)

Thank you that does help:) My status changed to "under review".

Thank you that does help:) My status recently changed to "under review".

Has anyone gotten any good news via snail mail from the Jan. 7th group? starting to wonder if they only give acceptances by phone call..

Has anyone gotten any good news via snail mail from the Jan. 7th group? starting to wonder if they only give acceptances by phone call..

I am also part of that group. They told us at the end of the day that acceptances got calls and everyone else was snail mail. I got a FAFSA folder in the mail today from Stritch but no letter...SNAIL mail indeed.

Hmm, maybe. I haven't gotten an interview, but i submitted my secondary 11/25 and was marked complete sometime after 12/21

I am also part of this group and haven't gotten anything in the mail. It could be possible that not all of the accepted were called.

I am also part of this group and haven't gotten anything in the mail. It could be possible that not all of the accepted were called.

I would call admissions office, maybe something got lost in the mail or something? They are so friendly I'm sure it wouldnt hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.