2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
34/3.74 is pretty great! Mayo is just unique in that they've already given out over 2/3 of their interviews by now, and are still just crossing into August applications. It's absolutely imperative that you get your application in early if you want a shot here. Applying late July and even into August is going to be extremely disadvantageous and require an incredibly impressive application.

I would highly doubt you'll see any low stat applicants getting IIs like we did earlier in the cycle now, or else they have an amazing story to tell that caught Mayo's golden eye.

Oops... Complete today. Decided to add Mayo late because the tiny class size had intimidated me and I hadn't heard about their awesome scholarships... but finally figured "what the heck." Guess that was 100 dollars down the drain. Oh well.
 
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'm not too affected by it other than it was a rejection, I literally know nothing of the school- my friend texted me and was like "who wants to live in minnesota anyways!?" and I was like "Mayo is in minnesota Lol?!"

Hopefully I start getting interviews soon!
 
Oops... Complete today. Decided to add Mayo late because the tiny class size had intimidated me and I hadn't heard about their awesome scholarships... but finally figured "what the heck." Guess that was 100 dollars down the drain. Oh well.

Hey, you never know! Could still be the best decision you've ever made. 🙂

...or you could get a rejection Wednesday morning. :meanie:

Edit: Also, I was notified I was not selected just recently. My later application might have hurt a bit. GPA > 3.9, MCAT > 38, LOR Received early August. The last PMOD is officially down. Good luck to everyone interviewing! It's a wonderful school with incredible, unique opportunities. Unfortunate I wasn't selected, but I've been nearby too long and maybe it's time I find somewhere else to call my home. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PMOD -- noooooooooooooooo!!!! 🙁 🙁 🙁

It's okay, it is an amazing school and clinic, and I am glad that Mayo took the time to look at my whole application and determine if I was what they were looking for in a physician. We all know they have a very particular type of person they are looking for, while I was not one of them, that is all I could have asked for. 🙂 Best of luck, charm those interviewers!

I wonder when the 8/10 group is going to start hearing back :scared:

Very soon.
 
Really? I thought it was "Complete" as soon as they receive your LOR and attach them to your application .. mine took less than 48 hours.

Yup, that's true. And yea, mine only took 3 days, but that was very early in the cycle. Now they have a lot more apps to go through, and I've noticed they usually take around 1-2 weeks to complete you now. Did you get complete recently?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When is the next round of post lor rejections goin out? This school is going to hit with one soon so might as well be now, there is no way in hell they would want to interview someone like me with weak stats
 
When is the next round of post lor rejections goin out? This school is going to hit with one soon so might as well be now, there is no way in hell they would want to interview someone like me with weak stats

don't be so sure...it's more about experiences, I think...I have a 3.72/29R (7 in VR) and I interviewed here...almost everyone in the group with me had done good work in their respective fields (one of the interviewees frankly was a bit socially, and perhaps even intellectually, clueless but she had passion for what she had done and you could tell from the way she talked to you about it)
 
When is the next round of post lor rejections goin out? This school is going to hit with one soon so might as well be now, there is no way in hell they would want to interview someone like me with weak stats

Be optimistic, guys.

It's quite obvious that having high stats. doesn't necessarily mean EVERYTHING, many have gotten rejected pre-LOR with super awesome stats. They requested your LORs for a reason...Believe in yourself!

That's my pep talk for the day. 😀
 
Be optimistic, guys.

It's quite obvious that having high stats. doesn't necessarily mean EVERYTHING, many have gotten rejected pre-LOR with super awesome stats. They requested your LORs for a reason...Believe in yourself!

That's my pep talk for the day. 😀

Is this true? I thought earlier a few people confirmed that they just screened using something similar to the LizzyM score and requested LOR based on that 😕

I'm hoping you're right though :laugh:


EDIT: I read through the earlier posts again and it seems like there is a LizzyM score minimum to have your application looked at by Mayo, and then if they like it I guess they send you a LOR. A few people were rejected pre-LOR request with really high stats, so you are right! 😀
 
Last edited:
Well there it is. Rejected, complete 8/10. It doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would, just now my neurotic self wonders if there are holes in my app I didn't notice (maybe a less than stellar letter or something).

Guess I'll just have to wait to hear back from other schools. Good luck everyone else 🙂
 
I've been ranked. One step further, I guess it is a positive thing to get ranked before October 15th. Technically more opportunity for acceptance yes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many people do you think would have interviewed up to October 15th and been ranked? Prob like <50 so thats still a pretty big group of acceptance if you think about it.

They've definitely done >50. Each day is ~7-10 people I'm guessing. Definitely been more than 7 interview days since then!
 
we should look at last year's thread and see how long (average) it took to hear about a decision after an interview
 
we should look at last year's thread and see how long (average) it took to hear about a decision after an interview

As someone who followed last year's thread with morbid fascination (no connection to the school), you probably shouldn't if you want to preserve your sanity :laugh:
 
Hi all!

I had the fortunate opportunity to interview at Mayo in the past few weeks, and I just wanted to share my synopsis with everyone.

Rochester, MN

I LOVED the little city of Rochester. I come from a very small town, and my wife comes from a very large city. We are looking for a change for medical school, and Rochester fits. It is very catering to an active population. There are dozens of well kept parks and I don't know how many miles in walking/running/biking trails. The trails are also very well maintained, fairly flat and smooth. We stayed for a couple of extra days and got to eat some awesome food. There were several local restaurants downtown, and none of the food was disappointing. We also ventured into a couple of pretty decent bars. One of the owners even sat and chatted with us for about an hour regarding the city, crime and the weather. People there were shockingly friendly.

The pedestrian subway was awesome (considering the winters) and the skywalks
were neat. The subway was much more extensive than the skywalks. It had great maps and tons of signs so it was pretty tough to get lost. There were several apartment options within a few blocks of the Mayo campus, and there are a handful of houses nearby as well. I imagine most of the actual houses would not be a very easy walk to campus during the rough months. The city also has great public transit with several buses as well as several Mayo-specific buses with a section for employees (for those that commute to their commuter lots) and a section for the public. Also, the colors of the city and surrounding area was beautiful. Lots of reds and yellows in the fall.

Mayo Clinic/Medical School

The school is just as awesome as most people think it is. I'm positive the majority of us are aware of the strong points, but I'm going to mention them just for those that may not know.

Mayo has a phenomenal financial aid program with the lowest average debt (~65k?) in all allopathic US medical schools. They have relatively inexpensive baseline tuition with a generous across-the-board scholarship for the students.

Lecture is required. This may be a turn off for some, but I learn well in a lecture setting so I don't mind. The selectives between each block allow for a very tailored education. The "shadowing" that occurs during selectives is much more than that. The students that talked to us actually got to be a part of the team. The first two years are true P/F with no internal ranking. They also have a good sim center that is interdisciplinary.

The Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center is a massive gym with two indoor pools, tons of cardio equipment, a large free weight sections and many rooms for classes. Membership here is included, and that extends to the spouse as well.

The facilities are incredible. The Plummer building had a library that made me feel like it was 1915... in a good way. The Gonda building ("front door to mayo clinic") looked like an elegant convention hall or resort with awesome tile floors, tons of artwork, and people singing/playing a piano downstairs. The pedi floor barely feels like a clinic. There are countless areas where a student can quietly study, and I believe students have access to almost everywhere on the campus.

The staff and students were extremely friendly and happy. I couldn't get a student to say one bad thing about the school itself. A couple of them were not fans of Rochester for various reasons.

Interviews

The interviews were pretty mellow. They both knew my application very well. The first interview was half conversation/half standard questions. The second was pretty much all conversational with a couple of questions about my PS, motivations and leadership. Come to think of it, they asked about leadership a lot. I don't know if that's common for other interviewees here, but it may have been due to my ECs.

My SO and I weren't sure about Mayo, but after visiting it is easily our top choice. I hope this helps someone in regards to interview prep or just learning about Mayo! I'm positive I forget a dozen points, but I tried to hit the highlights.

Good luck to those interviewing in the next couple of months!

tl;dr - Mayo is great.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.