You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So my fee was received 9/4 and I still haven't heard anything, not even a LOR request. Anyone else in the same boat?
Same here, waiting anxiously since fee received on 8/3
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
fingers crossed for an invite! Completed a couple of weeks ago...kicking myself for not applying earlier.
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the ranked email! *gulp*
what is the 'ranked' email?
after you interview, the admissions committee will meet and evaluate your whole application. At which point you are assigned a "rank". When it comes time post-Oct 15th, Mayo will begin selecting ppl for their class/the waitlist based on this rank. Receiving the email simply means the committee has met and have discussed my application, and given me a score that will ultimately places me on the hierarchy of students they've seen and interviewed!
what is the 'ranked' email?
After your interview, your interviewers advocate for you in front of the admissions committee, which then ranks you from 1-5 (5 being best). You're either offered an acceptance or put on hold depending on your ranking.
EDIT: Haha, too late in my response I guess
Last edited:
After your interview, your interviewers advocate for you in front of the admissions committee, which then ranks you from 1-5 (5 being best). You're either offered an acceptance or put on hold depending on your ranking.
EDIT: Haha, too late in my response I guess
IIRC the ranking is pretty fluid in that they jump around choosing people for acceptances. So a 5 doesn't guarantee you an acceptance and a 3 may well be chosen over a 5 at the end of the day. But it still is important.
IIRC the ranking is pretty fluid in that they jump around choosing people for acceptances. So a 5 doesn't guarantee you an acceptance and a 3 may well be chosen over a 5 at the end of the day. But it still is important.
Yes, forgot to mention that. Good catch. And for those wondering what causes that "fluidity," the committee looks for students to fill a certain niche--having a traumatic experience, being a singer, having done Peace Corps, coming from a certain socioeconomic status, etc. So if one student filling a certain niche gets accepted but chooses to withdraw, they may offer that acceptance to another student who fills that same role, even though that student may have been ranked 3 instead of a 5, etc.
Dying to hear back from Mayo - cannot wait for next week!
Dying to hear back from Mayo - cannot wait for next week!
I probably have to wait at least another 3 weeks 🙁
so i came across this historic mansion in Rochester (apparently where Charles Mayo lived) and im bummed it's closed until november! I would have loved to tour it.
http://www.olmstedhistory.com/sites/mayowood/
http://www.olmstedhistory.com/sites/mayowood/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was in fact ONLY a 5 physician family medicine practice affiliated with Mayo in Glendale, Arizona that stopped taking Medicare patients. This does not reflect the policy of THOUSANDS of physicians that work for the main Mayo Clinics in Rochester, MN and Scottsdale, Arizona, who see numerous Medicare patients. In fact, almost 40% of Mayo patients are Medicare patients (which is a greater percentage than many other "Top 10" hospitals).
Mayo is a unique place and delivers phenomenal care. I'm now doing residency at a "famous" coast residency program, and I can tell you that though I've loved my residency experience here, the culture of this institution is "research-driven" rather than "patient-centric" like it was at Mayo.
Mayo is a unique place and delivers phenomenal care. I'm now doing residency at a "famous" coast residency program, and I can tell you that though I've loved my residency experience here, the culture of this institution is "research-driven" rather than "patient-centric" like it was at Mayo.
When you guys say "complete", do you mean when you sent in your primary application to Mayo? Or do you mean when Mayo asked for your LOR's? I'm asking for how long after they asked for your LOR's did they request an interview.
When you guys say "complete", do you mean when you sent in your primary application to Mayo? Or do you mean when Mayo asked for your LOR's? I'm asking for how long after they asked for your LOR's did they request an interview.
Complete = Mayo already asked for your LORs and finally received them
It may take about a month (post LORs received) at this stage in the cycle to find out if you're not selected or given an interview
complete is when your LOR is received by Mayo. I have been complete since 8/29. I haven't heard anything back, so I am going to be expecting a rejection in my inbox soon. Oh well, life goes you and I will just have to keep on improving my application in case I am forced to reapply next year.
It may take about a month (post LORs received) at this stage in the cycle to find out if you're not selected or given an interview
I'm at just over 3 months after LORs received!

Still hanging by a thread and hoping they've got a leftover interview for me somewhere before the end.

I'm at just over 3 months after LORs received!
Still hanging by a thread and hoping they've got a leftover interview for me somewhere before the end.![]()
Haha oops, I guess there are exceptions. If that were me, I'd send an update letter/letter of interest
Good luck 🙂
Kind of wondering what's going on now. I was complete on 8/10 and havent heard anything yet... I guess it's good that they're still considering me.
mayo doesn't accept LOI pre-interview. They told me that they won't even create a paper file for applicants pre-interview. So any update letter you sent, won't be printed and added to your file. They said at most they can take 3 lines for an update since it is all computerized prior to the interview.
mayo doesn't accept LOI pre-interview. They told me that they won't even create a paper file for applicants pre-interview. So any update letter you sent, won't be printed and added to your file. They said at most they can take 3 lines for an update since it is all computerized prior to the interview.
Oh...well that's unfortunate. Thanks for correcting me
Some oil, egg yolk, and either vinegar or lemon juice. That should do the trick.
Man that is a nice avatar LOL ~
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear about the rejections 🙁 Good luck to you all with the rest of your applications
2 more days! well...2 more weeks for me
2 more days! well...2 more weeks for me
When were all of u guys complete (lor recieved)? I was complete 8/29 so i guess i am next in the slaughter house
Rejected. Complete 8/10, 3.85/36Q
^^^ I was "complete" on 8/29 as well. I guess that means that I am next. You might get an interview, but I know I am ****ed. lol.
Was complete 8/29 ish... does this mean we're next?or is there another complete date in between 8/10 and 8/29?
I was complete 8/20 so maybe we'll be grouped together?
I was complete 8/24. still waiting... I guess no one got an interview in the 8/10 batch so far? :/ thats disheartening...
I was complete 8/24. still waiting... I guess no one got an interview in the 8/10 batch so far? :/ thats disheartening...
Likewise for 8/24. Are we next in line already!?

7/18 Fee received
7/26 Request for LORs
8/1 LOR attention required (One of my LOR writers apparently didn't put a letterhead, even though he told me he did. Couldn't get a hold of him, eventually had to use a weaker LOR. Dammmit.)
8/10 LORs received
10/12 Not selected
Welp, they had my application for two full months and I guess they took the time to consider me. Definitely a long shot. Good luck to those all still in the running!
7/26 Request for LORs
8/1 LOR attention required (One of my LOR writers apparently didn't put a letterhead, even though he told me he did. Couldn't get a hold of him, eventually had to use a weaker LOR. Dammmit.)
8/10 LORs received
10/12 Not selected
Welp, they had my application for two full months and I guess they took the time to consider me. Definitely a long shot. Good luck to those all still in the running!
Sorry to hear about all the rejections. Good luck to you all with the rest of your applications!
At its current rate, this year's Mayo thread will be even longer than last year's 😀
At its current rate, this year's Mayo thread will be even longer than last year's 😀
So tomorrow is the day right? According to last year around 12pm is when the phone calls start rolling out?
INTENSE 🙂
INTENSE 🙂There is so little anticipation on the thread this year compared to last.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha this is true. Maybe that means that others who get accepted here don't want it as bad, and hopefully we can take their place!
Btw, don't know if this interests anyone, but I couldn't figure out a pattern from last year's thread whether not receiving an email before 12-2pm is a good sign or not. Sometimes the "on hold" emails went out before the calls, and other times after the calls. Guess Mayo likes to keep things interesting..
Btw, don't know if this interests anyone, but I couldn't figure out a pattern from last year's thread whether not receiving an email before 12-2pm is a good sign or not. Sometimes the "on hold" emails went out before the calls, and other times after the calls. Guess Mayo likes to keep things interesting..
Last edited:
There is so little anticipation on the thread this year compared to last.
How to you get to last years thread? I know it is bad for your mental health, but I plan to start obsessing about this school. I interviewed in early October, but have not received the notice that I have been rated so I suspect I won't be hearing from them for a while yet.
How to you get to last years thread? I know it is bad for your mental health, but I plan to start obsessing about this school. I interviewed in early October, but have not received the notice that I have been rated so I suspect I won't be hearing from them for a while yet.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823416
Have fun 😉
Gina told me the next ranking meeting will be sometime next week. I'm guessing Tuesday based on last year's thread. And if calls go out every 2 weeks (again, based on last year's thread), then I'm guessing you and I both have at least 3 more weeks before we hear anything. What date did you interview if you don't mind me asking?
Dying to hear back tomorrow! 

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823416
Have fun 😉
Gina told me the next ranking meeting will be sometime next week. I'm guessing Tuesday based on last year's thread. And if calls go out every 2 weeks (again, based on last year's thread), then I'm guessing you and I both have at least 3 more weeks before we hear anything. What date did you interview if you don't mind me asking?
That really sucks! I interviewed 10/1.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K

