2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold email just now. Oh well. It was a fun ride everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Automatically assuming that "hold" is a bad thing? Any premise to this?

I was told at my interview that Hold simply is a designation you get if they don't decide to accept you outright in your interview group. Especially since this is such a small class, they only accept a few out of each interview group--everyone else ends up on hold. As they wrap up with interviews, I think the hold group will be separated into waitlist and rejections. Then a chunk of the class will come off the waitlist.

FWIW, I interviewed in early October, and have been on hold since mid Oct. Just gotta sit tight now!

Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting will be held?

Normally wednesdays (every other?). It looks like they got some hold statuses out today which means they probably met yesterday. I feel like they'll either meet again next wednesday or not until after the holidays.

mayo, please give me some closure. haha. or an interview :p

In years past, they have liked to give 'early' holiday surprises.

I was put on hold last week and accepted today! I am shocked!

Congratulations!

Thanks sooo much! Mayo was my top choice and it has been a stressful application cycle as I received my LOR request a week after those who submitted the same day as me, my interview invite weeks after those in my LOR request group and was ranked more than a month after my interview and put on hold a while after that, even though it was the perfect place for me! Just shows you can't obsess about everything you read on this website... Good luck to you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who else here is still in LOR Request and II limbo? Just wondering.. :(

Congrats that is wonderful news! :D What a pre holiday surprise! :thumbup:

Thanks so much! I have been waiting all year to port that on here!!!! Hope you have a great holiday!!! It's finally feeling like winter cuz it finally snowed in Minnesota:)

Congrats!! When are you interviewing?

They only had Jan 7 as an option for me. I thought their interview season ended in Dec., but guess not....? I'm just glad to be out of limbo haha.

Hmmmm. I had an interview invite 12/15 and they don't even have an interview date available. Their electronic calendar only has the 7th for Interview, and I cant click on it?

i was accepted last week. by far the best news of my academic life and there's a very good chance i'll be attending. good luck to the rest of you!!

Whoa, so many acceptances! I guess I'm still waiting, On Hold right now since I want to say the 19th of last month.

Can someone who has interviewed recently update us with numbers/any new info regarding what we should expect for the rest of the cycle?

Whoa, so many acceptances! I guess I'm still waiting, On Hold right now since I want to say the 19th of last month.

Been on hold since the 19th of October...I had forgotten about Mayo but now the anxiety is back! hoping for good news!

In the acceptance letter Mayo said they would let us know about scholarships sometime in December I believe, but I just got my confirmation email (after sending the deposit) and it made it sound like they will be notifying us of the information closer to marticulation. Can any current student explain which is right? Thank you so much!

In the acceptance letter Mayo said they would let us know about scholarships sometime in December I believe, but I just got my confirmation email (after sending the deposit) and it made it sound like they will be notifying us of the information closer to marticulation. Can any current student explain which is right? Thank you so much!

Wait...I thought all students get an automatic $15k scholarship upon acceptance?

Wait...I thought all students get an automatic $15k scholarship upon acceptance?

That is true, but I believe this is the minimum scholarship and many students wind up getting more. But I may be wrong.

That is true, but I believe this is the minimum scholarship and many students wind up getting more. But I may be wrong.

Oh no, you're right. I just got confused before and thought you meant that you hadn't received any scholarship yet. Sorry!

If I remember correctly all I was told was that scholarship information would be given at a later date. Definitely no scholarship offer with offer of admission.

Oh, well that's definitely different from what they've done in the previous years...Not sure then..

I'm pretty sure Gina said on the phone that everyone is getting the standard 15k, but any additional scholarship info will be given at a later date.

I'm pretty sure Gina said on the phone that everyone is getting the standard 15k, but any additional scholarship info will be given at a later date.

That is good to hear. Maybe since they pushed the interview season into Jan(not normal right?) they are going to wait to tell everyone about the scholarships & tuition costs. I guess it is not an issue since May 15th is still awhile away.

Last I heard the institution as a whole was still analyzing its finances for the year in light of some of the healthcare changes. I think mayo takes quite a bit of pride in its med students, so I wouldn't worry too much. You'll probably come out good financially when they do decide.

Does anyone know what Mayo does when they wrap up interviews next week? Are a lot of folks going to continue to stay on post-interview hold until March, or do they do a big review fairly soon and send out a giant wave of rejections?

Does anyone know what Mayo does when they wrap up interviews next week? Are a lot of folks going to continue to stay on post-interview hold until March, or do they do a big review fairly soon and send out a giant wave of rejections?

They are going to create the waitlist near the end of january. If you havent been accepted you will either be rejected or waitlisted. I believe the waitlist is around 100 people. So if they interview 300 and accept 40 thus far I would expect approximately 160 rejections by the end of this month.

They are going to create the waitlist near the end of january. If you havent been accepted you will either be rejected or waitlisted. I believe the waitlist is around 100 people. So if they interview 300 and accept 40 thus far I would expect approximately 160 rejections by the end of this month.

Thanks for the info!

Does everyone get ranked post-interview?

Yes. You should get a "You've been ranked" email within a few weeks of your interview. I believe they meet every two weeks to rank the interviewees, but some have to wait longer if an interviewer couldn't make the committee meeting. :luck:

Yes. You should get a "You've been ranked" email within a few weeks of your interview. I believe they meet every two weeks to rank the interviewees, but some have to wait longer if an interviewer couldn't make the committee meeting. :luck:

That's so weird. I interviewed over a month ago. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.