2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Gina sent the hold emails again because there were so many people questioning application status here. She does follow SDN from time to time.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps Gina sent the hold emails again because there were so many people questioning application status here. She does follow SDN from time to time.

I got this today as well. Based on the wording ("the committee is in the process of determining the final group of appointments after which the waitlist will be created") and the timing, my guess is that this is them letting us know something by the end of the month. It sounds like they're not done with everyone and are just keeping in touch.

Then again I could be totally wrong. At least it wasn't a rejection!

accepted via phone call today! so happy. so so happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to go ahead and assume statuses will be updated next week Wed-Fri.

Please don't reject me, Mayo!

thanks everyone :) I interviewed on the last day. I didn't send a LOI (Letter of Intent? I always get confused, do people mean letter of Intent or letter of Interest?) but I had a few minor updates and certainly expressed my gratitude for even having the chance to visit such an amazing place. (But I don't think the updates made a difference, it was just basically me saying that I continued with my activities and stuff and two minor awards). I was complete back in August.

Last edited:
My research interests are in basic science (biological physics, chemistry, computational biology), and I want to go into academic medicine -- so much that at some points I've even looked into internal transfer to MD-PhD since many of my advisors have commented that I seem more like a MD-PhD type of person (Mayo probably doesn't offer this as an option, right?).

How would Mayo compare to other top schools (like Harvard, Stanford, Yale.... connected to full universities) for students interested in such a career path? Just curious what people have to say about this.

Mayo absolutely does have the switch-into MD/PhD option.

Edit: There may have been special circumstances in the instance that I know of. I am recalling that one of the preexisting MD/PhD's may have opened a spot in the program for an MD student. Check with Gina on whether this is normally possible.

Last edited:
Post-Interview Rejection :rolleyes:

It was a fun dream and it lasted a lot longer than i thought it would. My sincere congratulations to those who have been accepted, and those who will be taken off of the alternate list.

I have to say that while spending money to interview for such a small number of spots is a bit of a bummer, i am not the least bit bitter. Mayo is a phenomenal place and I will forever remember the amazing work that is being done at this great institution. Unfortunately I dont think I can see myself raising a family here, so I dont anticipate mayo being a top choice for residencies (if im competitive enough for mayo that is!). But I will have eternal respect for the physicians who work here. And maybe when I become a physician, I will copy the mayo philosophy and always wear a suit around my patients.

Long live The Clinic :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

It was a fun dream and it lasted a lot longer than i thought it would. My sincere congratulations to those who have been accepted, and those who will be taken off of the alternate list.

I have to say that while spending money to interview for such a small number of spots is a bit of a bummer, i am not the least bit bitter. Mayo is a phenomenal place and I will forever remember the amazing work that is being done at this great institution. Unfortunately I dont think I can see myself raising a family here, so I dont anticipate mayo being a top choice for residencies (if im competitive enough for mayo that is!). But I will have eternal respect for the physicians who work here. And maybe when I become a physician, I will copy the mayo philosophy and always wear a suit around my patients.

Didn't get the rejection yet, but definitely expecting it; so I'm just going to say... +1

How did you find out, through email? I'm wondering if this was a mass (or at least small group) rejection or if they are making a few individual decisions at this point.

Everyone on Hold:

tumblr_mh31i1e3Hg1s3t0gto1_500.gif

How did you find out, through email? I'm wondering if this was a mass (or at least small group) rejection or if they are making a few individual decisions at this point.

I got the post interview rejection as well. Via email. Its a very nice letter :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

ACCEPTED! I was absolutely floored when I got the call this morning! Interviewed on last day... I sent a letter of intent so I will be a part of Mayo Medical Schools incoming class of 2013!

ACCEPTED! I was absolutely floored when I got the call this morning! Interviewed on last day... I sent a letter of intent so I will be a part of Mayo Medical Schools incoming class of 2013!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) I interviewed on the last day too :)

Last edited:
My lovely girlfriend received the acceptance call from her interviewer today! :) I'm so proud of her! She applied in Aug and inferviewed on Dec 3rd!

Congrats everyone who got in! I am bracing myself for my imminent rejection...

Agh I thought they would send rejections all at once. This is making it worse.

Congrats to those recently accepted! When did you all interview/get ranked?

Interviewed January 7th, ranked two weeks later. Hold Status for about a week. Then Accepted yesterday.

Post-interview rejection as well. On hold since October so kinda saw this one coming. Guess I'm not least narrowing down my choices...

It looks like they're making decisions on applicants in the order they interviewed. I just got the waitlist email. Didn't expect it at all...But I guess there's still hope :xf:

It looks like they're making decisions on applicants in the order they interviewed. I just got the waitlist email. Didn't expect it at all...But I guess there's still hope :xf:
but I interviewed on the first day and haven't heard anything since being ranked and not accepted (but not rejected either!). I think I failed to rock the interview, but I'm still holding out hope that they will re-review my file and call me - or email me. Either way. I won't mind.

but I interviewed on the first day and haven't heard anything since being ranked and not accepted (but not rejected either!). I think I failed to rock the interview, but I'm still holding out hope that they will re-review my file and call me - or email me. Either way. I won't mind.

Oh, well there goes my theory out the window. Not sure what's going on then..

Alternate email too. Interviewed late November.

Alternate list! #neverendingappcycle

Think it makes sense to combine my acceptance of the spot with an update/LOI?

Alternate list! #neverendingappcycle

Think it makes sense to combine my acceptance of the spot with an update/LOI?
Bummer - I was hoping you'd make it!

As for the combination - I would probably correspond twice rather than once, because I think I recall that how much interest you express factors into whether you are selected off the wait list. So two correspondences separated by a couple weeks will keep you fresh in their minds and give you the chance to reiterate your interest!

Good luck!

+1 alternate list. I'm so surprised to have gotten this far. I felt terrible during my interview. :luck:

I remember hearing at my interview or somewhere but can't remember now. About how many people are put on the wait list?

I remember hearing at my interview or somewhere but can't remember now. About how many people are put on the wait list?

I can't recall from the interview, but I think they mentioned in last year's thread it's about 100.

Just sent in my acceptance of the alternate status. At first I was a little bummed that it wasn't an outright acceptance, but it's starting to sink in that I'm on the waitlist for the most selective school in the country, which means they actually think I'm totally qualified for admission. Wowwwww. How did this become my life? Good luck to everyone else in this thing!

Just sent in my acceptance of the alternate status. At first I was a little bummed that it wasn't an outright acceptance, but it's starting to sink in that I'm on the waitlist for the most selective school in the country, which means they actually think I'm totally qualified for admission. Wowwwww. How did this become my life? Good luck to everyone else in this thing!

Very selective! I was reading my fiancee's acceptance letter and it said 1% acceptance rate, compared to that of 2.2% two years ago. Wow.

FYI, for those who have not heard from Mayo and if you have a gmail account, you might want to check your spam folder. Fiancee found her appointment email in the spam! Just relaying the message.

Does Mayo send a physical acceptance letter to your address? Or is it only electronic? I got the email out of my spam but I will be quite sad if I don't have tangible evidence of acceptance here... :) haha

Another question, for those of us with alternate status offers: did Gina send you an email back after accepting a spot? I never got a confirmation from her after emailing her stating I would like to accept my status.

Another question, for those of us with alternate status offers: did Gina send you an email back after accepting a spot? I never got a confirmation from her after emailing her stating I would like to accept my status.

No confirmation here either. I doubt she sends them.

Does Mayo send a physical acceptance letter to your address? Or is it only electronic? I got the email out of my spam but I will be quite sad if I don't have tangible evidence of acceptance here... :) haha

My interviewer (who called me for my acceptance) seemed to hint that some sort of letter or package would be sent. ... so maybe? I have not gotten anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.