2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuition did increase, but not 10k from what I've been told. I'd be interested to see what they said in the email to you guys. If one of you would PM me, I may be able to help clarify terminology. We also got an email recently which I thought was a bit confusing in how the information was presented, so this may be a similar issue.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any other 12/7 interviewees not yet ranked?

I have been ranked after interviewing but I still haven't heard anything else. I'm guessing you are asking since you haven't been ranked yet?

Edit: Does anyone know when those of us that have been ranked should hear something else?
 
Last edited:
Tuition did increase, but not 10k from what I've been told. I'd be interested to see what they said in the email to you guys. If one of you would PM me, I may be able to help clarify terminology. We also got an email recently which I thought was a bit confusing in how the information was presented, so this may be a similar issue.

I tried to message you but it had a word limit and I don't think the info is too confidential. This is what my email said:

Dear Name,

Congratulations once again on your recent appointment to Mayo Medical School!
We are very pleased to award you a scholarship of $15,000 for 2013-2014
academic year. Scholarships are renewed annually based on satisfactory academic
performance.

Tuition for Mayo Medical School will be $43,150 for the 2013-2014 academic
year. If you have any questions regarding Mayo Medical School's scholarship or
financial aid programs, you may contact Mr. David Dahlen, Director of Student
Financial Aid and Registrar, at [email protected] or Ms. Marcy Landswerk,
Financial Aid Coordinator, at [email protected].

More detailed financial aid information regarding the FAFSA and Mayo Clinic
Student Financial Aid Application will be sent to you at a later date by the
Office of Financial Aid. If you would like to be considered for institutional
need-based grants, you will need to complete these applications when directed
by the Office of Financial Aid.

Again, congratulations on your appointment and we hope to see you at Second
Look Weekend to be held April 18-20, 2013.

Sincerely,

Susan A. Romanski, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Mayo Medical School

If you could clarify that would be really cool.
 
I emailed Marcy Landswerk, the Financial Aid Coordinator, and she said "this will be the first year that we will require parental data on the FAFSA". Does this mean that a lot of incoming students will be getting less aid than in previous years?
 
They only had Jan 7 as an option for me. I thought their interview season ended in Dec., but guess not....? I'm just glad to be out of limbo haha.

So...did Gina share any additional info with your group on your interview day regarding number accepted so far and what to expect for the rest of the cycle?
 
So...did Gina share any additional info with your group on your interview day regarding number accepted so far and what to expect for the rest of the cycle?

Not really. She said that we'd probably hear back soon (like end of the month) and explained the "you've been ranked" email process... but no numbers were given out. I haven't gotten the "you've been ranked" email yet.
 
Not really. She said that we'd probably hear back soon (like end of the month) and explained the "you've been ranked" email process... but no numbers were given out. I haven't gotten the "you've been ranked" email yet.

Sigh...can't take this waiting anymore...
 
I emailed Marcy Landswerk, the Financial Aid Coordinator, and she said "this will be the first year that we will require parental data on the FAFSA". Does this mean that a lot of incoming students will be getting less aid than in previous years?

Sounds like maybe. I know at an info session I went to a couple years ago the financial guy, Mr. Dahlen I think, had mentioned that they were one of the few schools that didn't make students provide parental data and basically gave the impression that when you hit medical school you are an adult and should be considered financially independent. Being a Nontrad, that really stood out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed Marcy Landswerk, the Financial Aid Coordinator, and she said "this will be the first year that we will require parental data on the FAFSA". Does this mean that a lot of incoming students will be getting less aid than in previous years?

Oh wow. I imagine that could dramatically effect aid for some people...Mayo is turning out to be more expensive than a lot of other options :/
 
My advice at this point, to avoid unnecessary speculation and worry, is to wait until the final financial aid packages are prepared for each matriculant around Second Look time. Even then, though not guaranteed, Mayo has in the past provided financial aid bumps as surprises after matriculation as a result of additional benefactor and/or state funding. Also, you should know that the estimated cost of attendance at Mayo in particular provides many thousands of dollars of "wiggle-room," (designed to give flexibility to the amount of loans students are able to receive for those individuals with families, etc., who have larger expenses). I along with many of my colleagues have not needed nearly all of the available loans. The estimated cost of attendance was roughly $20,000 higher than my actual cost/budget for the past two years, and what I actually had to borrow ("pay out of pocket") was less than half of my actual cost/budget because of the standard scholarships/grants. I am happy to answer additional questions here or over PM if you are interested.
 
Just curious, is the tuition the same for all four years of med school? Would current students be "grandfathered" in to their tuition/scholarships? How does it work? (My university, for example, has some policy where if you accept their financial aid deal in your first year, and say, you only get loans and no grants that first year, you are ineligible for grants in future years... does Mayo / med school in general have a similar policy?)

Sorry if this is a silly question, haha.
 
Tuition is adjusted on a yearly basis to account for inflation - this is the same across the board and not unique to Mayo. Scholarships and grants are re-done yearly with each new FAFSA/aid package. You definitely maintain eligibility through all four years and there is usually only little variation year to year.
 
So anyone getting excited / nervous for the wait list / rejections. The time draws near. There is no school that made me feel the way Mayo has! I hope for the best!
 
So anyone getting excited / nervous for the wait list / rejections. The time draws near. There is no school that made me feel the way Mayo has! I hope for the best!

?? Did they say when they were going to release these decisions? (I haven't even been ranked yet, but I interviewed on the last day.) And I totally agree with you on that last bit 🙂
 
?? Did they say when they were going to release these decisions? (I haven't even been ranked yet, but I interviewed on the last day.) And I totally agree with you on that last bit 🙂

I guess no specifics really. I have in my notes from interview day that alternates are compiled by Feb (along with a list of those who are no longer being considered) Then of course I have down that lots of movement occurs Apr-May and that about 1/2 the class comes from the wait list. Really hope to make the good list. I am sure you will be ranked soon, don't let that worry you!
 
Ranked as well. So incredibly excited! I'll agree that the rank email made my heart skip a beat.
 
Congrats! Glad to hear you guys were ranked! 🙂..... Now its time to get down to get down to brass tacks. Intense. 😍 Mayooo
 
Anyone know how many acceptances they've given out thus far? Also, how big is the waitlist? I think this was discussed earlier in the thread but the search function is failing me.
 
Anyone know how many acceptances they've given out thus far? Also, how big is the waitlist? I think this was discussed earlier in the thread but the search function is failing me.

Hard to tell how many acceptances have been given out. Last year they filled their class by december and created the waitlist in late january. This year the interview season seems to have run into january. Since some people have just gotten ranked i would assume there is one more day of acceptances before the release of the waitlist. Safe to assume 90%+ of the class has been filled up and only a few (5?) spots remain. Waitlist is around 100 based on previous class threads. Of course this is all assuming that everything stays constant year to year. Good luck to all!
 
I've been wondering if there is any hope of getting accepted off the hold list before the waitlist/rejection decision is made, but it sounds like that is probably slim to nil at this point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been wondering if there is any hope of getting accepted off the hold list before the waitlist/rejection decision is made, but it sounds like that is probably slim to nil at this point.

yea. same boat, but I'm just happy I got to interview here. The way they practice medicine is very special. Mayo will be a top dog for me when comes time for residency
 
Last edited:
I've been wondering if there is any hope of getting accepted off the hold list before the waitlist/rejection decision is made, but it sounds like that is probably slim to nil at this point.

What's the difference between hold and waitlist? I thought that somebody on this thread got accepted one week after being put on hold, so it certainly happens...

And does Mayo put a lot of people on the waiting list, or do they tend to be more upfront about their decisions? (From the pre-LOR / pre-interview decisions, it does seem like they're more upfront, but maybe waitlisting is different..)
 
So the difference between hold and waitlist.... From my understanding... Everyone who interviews is ranked, say 1-5 with 5 being great and 1 being bah. Once you receive this rank from the admissions committee it cannot change. After being ranked you will then be essentially reviewed for an appointment at mayo medical school, at this point you can be straight up accepted however if you are not, then you are placed on hold. If you are on hold you will be reviewed at meetings and can be accepted from the hold list (however from what I think we can agree on this is more rare) usually they acceptances seemed to have happened out right after ranking. Now soon rejections and a waitlist (I have in my notes by Feb) will be made, the big difference is the waitlist is unranked so that 1-5 score goes away. I believe I had read that the waitlist is around 100 people long, meaning there is somewhere around 160 rejections that come out along with those who made the waitlist (since nobody has been rejected post interview yet).

Normally they said about 50% of their class comes from the waitlist, so making the waitlist if you want Mayo is a big deal in that sense. 5000ish applied, 300 interviewed, say 40 are accepted now, and 100 will be wait listed.

I want Mayo so badly. 😍
 
What's the difference between hold and waitlist? I thought that somebody on this thread got accepted one week after being put on hold, so it certainly happens...

And does Mayo put a lot of people on the waiting list, or do they tend to be more upfront about their decisions? (From the pre-LOR / pre-interview decisions, it does seem like they're more upfront, but maybe waitlisting is different..)

I was probly the person your referring to. I was accepted the week after I was put on hold (on a Friday afternoon to answer that inquiry). I remember I thought it was kind of bs when they explained that after being put on hold they still review your app every week, but now I know that's the truth after all.
 
I would also like to know this.

+1 been waiting on this for some time, I'd say it is a good chance. They said on interview day before Feb. :scared: Most of my rejections didnt phase me too bad, but after seeing Mayo it makes everything seem less sweet. So hopeful for a wait list spot.
 
I think the process may be different than last year, because last year december 10th was the last interview day (or around that), whereas interviews have stretched into january this year. People were ranked as late as last week, so unless those people were interviewing for a waitlist spot, there is at least one more day of pre-waitlist acceptances that will come out (tomorrow maybe?). Then it depends on how quickly they make the waitlist list. They may have waited until after the last interview day to work on it. Which means that the waitlist may potentially not come out for another month. I believe two years ago the waitlist didnt come out until March.

Of course this is all super-neurotic mayo-induced speculation. I would love to see the waitlist out this week! Hard to say anything for certain. In any case, good luck to all! 👍
 
I think the process may be different than last year, because last year december 10th was the last interview day (or around that), whereas interviews have stretched into january this year. People were ranked as late as last week, so unless those people were interviewing for a waitlist spot, there is at least one more day of pre-waitlist acceptances that will come out (tomorrow maybe?). Then it depends on how quickly they make the waitlist list. They may have waited until after the last interview day to work on it. Which means that the waitlist may potentially not come out for another month. I believe two years ago the waitlist didnt come out until March.

Of course this is all super-neurotic mayo-induced speculation. I would love to see the waitlist out this week! Hard to say anything for certain. In any case, good luck to all! 👍

I can get behind this, good points. Certainly considered that it may come later given the Jan interview dates.
 
Hmmm. I wonder if the rejection/waitlist comes out in the middle of the night or during normal business hours. hmmm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was under the impression that acceptances went out via phone call? either way, fingers crossed for all of us 🙂
 
Dear Mayo Medical School applicant,

On behalf of our Admissions Committee, I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit Mayo Medical School and grant us the opportunity to meet you and discuss your future career in medicine. I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your time at our school.

Your application is currently on a hold status. The committee is in the process of determining the final group of appointments after which the waitlist will be created. We assure you that you will be notified as soon as action is taken on your application.

We thank you for your patience with this process.

Sincerely,


Susan A. Romanski, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Mayo Medical School

Interviewed December 7th, ranked December 12th.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.