2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No response yet from accepting the alternate list spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. Gina mentioned not to include transcripts in updates. Does that mean how I'm doing with my current coursework isn't a factor?

Why would mailing them a letter be better than emailing them the same letter in .pdf format?

Is that their preference or is it simply showing you care enough to put forth the effort in sending an actual letter?

Why would mailing them a letter be better than emailing them the same letter in .pdf format?

Is that their preference or is it simply showing you care enough to put forth the effort in sending an actual letter?

I'd say the latter. Signature with pen ink > signature with printer ink. Also, the creases that come with a folded letter add a more personal touch.

But then again, I was a psyc major so I could just be paranoid..

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got in touch with a committee member contact at another school to ask e-mail vs snail mail. He said that they MUCH prefer letters to be written by e-mail and in the body of message so they can forward it to the members and discuss it during the meeting instead of only having the one copy to share. He said many members just look at them on their phones so the body of the message works best.

I have no idea if this applies to Mayo but it would kind of make sense.

Just got in touch with a committee member contact at another school to ask e-mail vs snail mail. He said that they MUCH prefer letters to be written by e-mail and in the body of message so they can forward it to the members and discuss it during the meeting instead of only having the one copy to share. He said many members just look at them on their phones so the body of the message works best.

I have no idea if this applies to Mayo but it would kind of make sense.

That definitely makes sense. I'll call Gina when I get the chance to ask her about this. But if anyone else wants to do it now and let us know--or if anyone else already knows, that'd be awesome.

Has any accepted student received more than the 15k scholarship? Will Mayo potentially give higher scholarships later on?

Great Dextor, let us know what you find out.

Called Gina earlier today. She said they prefer it by email, but that it doesn't matter whether we send the letter in the body of the message or attach it as a separate pdf.

Has any accepted student received more than the 15k scholarship? Will Mayo potentially give higher scholarships later on?

As far as I understand it, the $15k is uniform across the board. The next step would be receiving grants after you submit the FAFSA/financial aid application.

As far as I understand it, the $15k is uniform across the board. The next step would be receiving grants after you submit the FAFSA/financial aid application.

There has been a pattern of increasing the scholarships with the financial aid packages, in addition to grants. They have also increased scholarships after matriculation in the past. It is year specific and sometimes dependent on what happens yearly with state subsidies for medical education.

This thread needs some love. They start accepting people off the WL in March, right?

Disclaimer, I have no idea if there is an official date they start doing waitlist acceptances.

I agree that this thread needs love. It was so slow even before the wait list news and after the news it has been totally dead :sleep: I was looking back last year and I think the first person who posted on SDN that they were accepted off the wait list was right at the end of March (3/26). However some people posted that they began withdrawing in early March, I am sure this is different every year but for the sake of giving this thread some love and getting excited about the chance we still have at Mayo Medical School I figured I would post. :luck: There were also a few which posted being accepted from the wait list mid april. A few following the May 15th deadline were also accepted from the wait list, I believe a total of around 6 SDN posters. Exciting times are these!

I agree that this thread needs love. It was so slow even before the wait list news and after the news it has been totally dead :sleep: I was looking back last year and I think the first person who posted on SDN that they were accepted off the wait list was right at the end of March (3/26). However some people posted that they began withdrawing in early March, I am sure this is different every year but for the sake of giving this thread some love and getting excited about the chance we still have at Mayo Medical School I figured I would post. :luck: There were also a few which posted being accepted from the wait list mid april. A few following the May 15th deadline were also accepted from the wait list, I believe a total of around 6 SDN posters. Exciting times are these!

Awesome, thanks for the info! Here's to hoping we're one of the lucky few to make it off the waitlist this year :luck:

I remember Gina and some SDNers mentioning something like half of the ~100 wait listed end up being accepted. Anyone know if this is valid? Seems like a lot. If they accept 50 off the WL, that means about 50/80 initially accepted withdrew. Seems odd for a school like Mayo

I remember Gina and some SDNers mentioning something like half of the ~100 wait listed end up being accepted. Anyone know if this is valid? Seems like a lot. If they accept 50 off the WL, that means about 50/80 initially accepted withdrew. Seems odd for a school like Mayo

I think it seems perfectly reasonable for a school like Mayo... it is an amazing school that attracts applicants that will likely be accepted to other great schools. The fact is, location and weather can be deal breakers for many people.

That being said, I have no idea what the chances of those wait listed are.

I believe that half of the accepted class (42 MD students) come from the alternate list. So 20-25-ish students and not half the alternate list.

I don't think it was half the waitlist that gets accepted, but rather half the class, i.e. ~20 people. So 20 out of 100 from the waitlist...that seems a lot more plausible to me

EDIT: LONeil beat me to it.

I don't think it was half the waitlist that gets accepted, but rather half the class, i.e. ~20 people. So 20 out of 100 from the waitlist...that seems a lot more plausible to me

EDIT: LONeil beat me to it.

You had my back.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Here's to hoping we're one of the lucky few to make it off the waitlist this year :luck:

+1

To the others yep I agree from what I got out of it, historically its about 50% of the class which comes from the wait list so 20-25.

I believe that half of the accepted class (42 MD students) come from the alternate list. So 20-25-ish students and not half the alternate list.

You have to account for people who are offered a seat but end up declining it. As well as people who take themselves off of the waitlist. Believe it or not but not everyone is willing to wait indefinitely for mayo :laugh:

If we are on the alternate list, should we be designating mayo as a school on our FAFSA yet?

Withdrew from the WL! As bad as I wanted to know if Mayo would eventually accept me, my family and I decided attending their institution was not in our best interest.

Good luck to the remainder of you patiently waiting! :luck:

Withdrew from the WL! As bad as I wanted to know if Mayo would eventually accept me, my family and I decided attending their institution was not in our best interest.

Good luck to the remainder of you patiently waiting! :luck:

Thank you for the update best of luck with everything!

Random question, but does anyone know the time frame for Mayo's white coat ceremony, assuming that they have one?

Random question, but does anyone know the time frame for Mayo's white coat ceremony, assuming that they have one?
Mayo has their version of the 'white coat' ceremony in early August. It is referred to as the "Commitment to Human Values" ceremony, because Mayo does not follow the tradition of white coats for physicians or trainees.

I had a dream I was a student at Mayo. I really hope it comes true.. :xf:

Can anyone share some info on the living situation for Mayo students? I remember hearing that there isn't "on-campus" housing, but what do most students do?

My student host rented a house with two other Mayo students. It was a really nice house in walking distance of campus that was not very expensive. I was impressed at what a modest rent gets you in Rochester.

^ Sounds pretty similar to my student host, they lived pretty close to the Mayo medical campus and often rode their bike to work. They actually didn't even have a car they would bum their roomates to go get groceries and stuff. There were three mayo students staying in that apartment and it was quite nice.

Can anyone share some info on the living situation for Mayo students? I remember hearing that there isn't "on-campus" housing, but what do most students do?

Accepted students will be getting a housing list soon from admissions; basically a compilation of submissions from students. There's a wide variety of housing options for students. I'll summarize a few options:

Rochester Towers is a large condo building 2 blocks from school and 2 blocks to gym. It is all private condos but there are many units available for rent or for sale every year (all direct with owners - no central leasing office). I have lived here for 2 years and will live the next 2 here as well.

Center St neighborhood (roughly anywhere between 2nd St S and Civic Center Dr) has lots of small homes/apartments for rent.

Civic Square Apartments is a large complex about 7 blocks from school, fairly popular for students.

318 Commons is a new apartment building smack downtown on 1st Ave SW. It's a bit pricey, and lower floors are dorm housing for UMR, but the upper floors are rentable to non-UMR students.

Other apartment buildings that are relatively close: Hamilton, Hillsider

There are a few large 'townhome' neighborhoods off of 2nd St West of 52. They are all very new and offer spacious options if you're willing to commute in daily with the shuttle/bike/bus/etc .​

All in all a pretty good variety at very reasonable prices compared to what you are probably used to in college campus neighborhoods.

For Mayo, what FAFSA school code should we use?

MAYO CLINIC, COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
ROCHESTER, MN Federal School Code: 017114

-OR-

MAYO MEDICAL SCHOOL
ROCHESTER, MN
Federal School Code: G11732

Thanks!

for mayo, what fafsa school code should we use?

Mayo clinic, college of medicine
rochester, mn federal school code: 017114

-or-

mayo medical school
rochester, mn
federal school code: G11732

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.