2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that Mayo is like most schools and that if you are not high in the waiting list you will not be receiving an invite to second look, correct?

I believe their 2nd look is next weekend, btw.

Their second look is tomorrow! Off to MN I go....

Edit: It looks cold :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the activity in here is making me antsy... hoping for some good news soon!

When do classes start? I've been mostly checked out from Mayo since I don't really think I'll get in off the list. But I suppose it's still possible! Planning my summer is hard when I don't know where the heck I'm going...

When do classes start? I've been mostly checked out from Mayo since I don't really think I'll get in off the list. But I suppose it's still possible! Planning my summer is hard when I don't know where the heck I'm going...

Same! Trying not to lose hope. What are the odds at this point? Roughly 100 put on the alternate list with a few withdrawals and between 20-25 acceptances, historically? Then, 20-25 out of 90-95 giving roughly 21-27%?

Same! Trying not to lose hope. What are the odds at this point? Roughly 100 put on the alternate list with a few withdrawals and between 20-25 acceptances, historically? Then, 20-25 out of 90-95 giving roughly 21-27%?

Sounds about right looking strictly at numbers. All in all still really good chances looking at the kinda odds everyone starts with like 1 or 2 percent (again strictly looking at number of applicants and available seats). Who knows though as we discussed before depending on how they actually pick people off the waitlist that prob switches things up quite a bit. Oh well I'm not going anywhere lol here for the duration.

Not everyone gets put on the alternate list?

Not everyone gets put on the alternate list?

On page 47 of the thread around 2/6 -2/8 post interview rejections came out. I think historically about 150 get rejected at that time out of the 300ish who interviewed. 50 or so are accepted (the 50 were not accepted as a batch but over the course of the interview season), then the waitlist/alternate list is around 100 people.

Last edited:
Is it worth mentioning to admissions that I'd withdraw from a school that I just received a very generous scholarship from in order to attend?

Is it worth mentioning to admissions that I'd withdraw from a school that I just received a very generous scholarship from in order to attend?

I'd definitely think so. Congrats!

I wonder how representative SDN members are of the total alternate list at Mayo (i.e has there been absolutely no alternate list movement since February, or have there been acceptances, just not of SDN members)? I know a few SDN members have withdrawn their spots, so it seems like there has to have been some movement over the past two months. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how representative SDN members are of the total alternate list at Mayo (i.e has there been absolutely no alternate list movement since February, or have there been acceptances, just not of SDN members)? I know a few SDN members have withdrawn their spots, so it seems like there has to have been some movement over the past two months. Thoughts?

I've been wondering the same thing...not sure if the committee just hasn't started pulling people off the waitlist, or if people have been accepted but we're just unaware of it..

Perhaps someone would like to contact Gina and ask how much movement there has been?

Perhaps someone would like to contact Gina and ask how much movement there has been?

Movement began back in February and there definitely is movement, unsure of the numbers.

if it helps, my host told me that there were definitely people at second look who came off the wait list (which confirms that there has been movement that hasn't necessarily been reflectedon SDN), but that there are also other people in the class who came off the waitlist who didn't attend second look (so they probably were accepted after)... so don't lose hope.

Movement began back in February and there definitely is movement, unsure of the numbers.

if it helps, my host told me that there were definitely people at second look who came off the wait list (which confirms that there has been movement that hasn't necessarily been reflectedon SDN), but that there are also other people in the class who came off the waitlist who didn't attend second look (so they probably were accepted after)... so don't lose hope.

Haha well that's discouraging for us who've been waiting...But thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

There are always a few people every year who don't get any word until they have their life packed away and are shopping around for an apartment at a medical school somewhere else. Then, mysteriously, clouds part and their dream comes true. It happens at Mayo as well as pretty much every other school. Just enjoy the beautiful spring (it is 71 here in Rochester now!) and keep on keeping on!

There are always a few people every year who don't get any word until they have their life packed away and are shopping around for an apartment at a medical school somewhere else. Then, mysteriously, clouds part and their dream comes true. It happens at Mayo as well as pretty much every other school. Just enjoy the beautiful spring (it is 71 here in Rochester now!) and keep on keeping on!

Haha thank you, hopefully things will work out for the best.. :xf:

I haven't decided whether it's a good or bad sign that two M2's in the midst of the Step 1 frenzy find time to peruse SDN. :confused:

I'm anxious to hear how the accepted students felt about Mayo this weekend at Second Look!! Slash also hoping a few are ready to drop so some of us waiting will be accepted ;)

It's been quite a ride folks. Mayo was the first correspondence I received after my AMCAS got verified, and I don't think I believed I was going to get this far. Anyway, I decided to go ahead & withdraw my spot on the alternate list. Best of luck to all of you in your decisions & your careers.

It's been quite a ride folks. Mayo was the first correspondence I received after my AMCAS got verified, and I don't think I believed I was going to get this far. Anyway, I decided to go ahead & withdraw my spot on the alternate list. Best of luck to all of you in your decisions & your careers.

Thank you for the update miss! Greatly appreciated and best of luck in med school!

I'm anxious to hear how the accepted students felt about Mayo this weekend at Second Look!! Slash also hoping a few are ready to drop so some of us waiting will be accepted ;)

Second Look was fantastic. It definitely confirmed my decision to go to Mayo. A number of people at the weekend were on the fence and I know of a few who will be dropping. There will definitely be some waitlist movement!

Second Look was fantastic. It definitely confirmed my decision to go to Mayo. A number of people at the weekend were on the fence and I know of a few who will be dropping. There will definitely be some waitlist movement!

Good to know, thanks for the info!

I know this year's application has already passed. I am applying to mayo this coming cycle, and I was wondering if anyone can let me know what's the deal with Mayo wanting letter writers to include our AMCAS ID in the letter? Shouldn't the AMCAS ID already be on it if AMCAS is sending out LOR to schools?

I know this year's application has already passed. I am applying to mayo this coming cycle, and I was wondering if anyone can let me know what's the deal with Mayo wanting letter writers to include our AMCAS ID in the letter? Shouldn't the AMCAS ID already be on it if AMCAS is sending out LOR to schools?

I've thought this was standard practice, that you tell your LOR writers to include your AMCAS number on it.

It's May 15! Hopefully some of us on the alternate list will start receiving the good news.

Notifications are ongoing this week and last week as withdrawals have come in.

Movement occurs that quickly? I thought the committee would have to meet to fill each withdrawn applicant with a similar applicant.

The exec committee has been meeting this week,

The exec committee has been meeting this week,

any idea about how many spots are left to fill?

based off years past, is there even any point in holding on hope at this point? lol

I haven't been following this thread closely since January, so pardon my ignorance, but--Anyone have an idea how many people are on the WL at this point and/or how many spots we are vying for?

I haven't been following this thread closely since January, so pardon my ignorance, but--Anyone have an idea how many people are on the WL at this point and/or how many spots we are vying for?

Prob about 100 WL, a few have dropped off though. 41 spots this year in the class. The said about half of those go to people on the wait list historically.

I got an email yesterday asking if I was still interested and then a phone call this morning. If anyone wants specifics you can shoot me a pm.

I got an email yesterday asking if I was still interested and then a phone call this morning. If anyone wants specifics you can shoot me a pm.

Congrats! Hope to hear the same... :xf:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!!

Did everyone get an e0mail yesterday asking if they were still interested? i figured everyone got it if i was getting it lol

Did everyone get an e0mail yesterday asking if they were still interested? i figured everyone got it if i was getting it lol

I did not receive that email...did everyone else still on the waitlist get an email yesterday?

I got the "touch base" email on Tuesday as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.