2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be withdrawing my acceptance, so I hope that extra spot makes a difference for one of you!

Thanks for letting us know!

Members don't see this ad.

For those of us with alternate status, I was looking back at last years thread and it looks like there was movement beginning ~20 March extending into May. Keep your heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us with alternate status, I was looking back at last years thread and it looks like there was movement beginning ~20 March extending into May. Keep your heads up!

Looks like it's time for me to get that LOI in!

I have heard that the alternate list is non-ranked and moves such that Mayo can still build a carefully selected, diverse class, which is great in a sense. Does this mean that if I am from a demographic that is usually represented by 1-2 people per cohort, that I only get off the alternate list if 1-2 specific people withdraw?

I guess it's probably not useful to make these speculations, but it helps pass the time.

I have heard that the alternate list is non-ranked and moves such that Mayo can still build a carefully selected, diverse class, which is great in a sense. Does this mean that if I am from a demographic that is usually represented by 1-2 people per cohort, that I only get off the alternate list if 1-2 specific people withdraw?

I guess it's probably not useful to make these speculations, but it helps pass the time.

From reading through some of the previous years mayo threads I think this topic came up and you are right they are still seeking to build that unique class, so it's not necessarily that someone withdrew their acceptance but the right person withdrew their acceptance.

From reading through some of the previous years mayo threads I think this topic came up and you are right they are still seeking to build that unique class, so it's not necessarily that someone withdrew their acceptance but the right person withdrew their acceptance.

+1 That's what I got out of it too

Anesthesiology
Northwestern
Loma Linda
Vanderbilt

Dermatology
University of Minnesota
Mayo-AZ
Mayo

Emergency Medicine
UCSF
Mayo
Hennepin County
Fort Sam Houston

Family Medicine
Mayo
Mayo

General Surgery
Marshfield Clinic

Internal Medicine
University of Minnesota
UC Davis
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Mayo
Mayo
Mayo
Brigham & Women’s

Neurology
UCLA

Neurology - Child
U Colorado

Neurosurgery
Barrow/St Josephs
Mayo

OB/Gyn
Johns Hopkins

Orthopedic Surgery
Allegheny
U Washington
Northwestern

Otolaryngology
SUNY-Buffalo
University of Minnesota

Pathology
Mayo

Pediatrics
Baylor
Baylor
Mayo
Vanderbilt
WashU/St. Louis Children’s

PM&R
Mayo

Psychiatry
Harvard/Mass Gen

Radiation Oncology
Mayo
Mayo

Radiology
Mayo
Mayo
U Wisconsin
Vanderbilt

Vascular Surgery
Medical University of South Carolina

Anesthesiology
Northwestern
Loma Linda
Vanderbilt

Dermatology
University of Minnesota
Mayo-AZ
Mayo

Emergency Medicine
UCSF
Mayo
Hennepin County
Fort Sam Houston

Family Medicine
Mayo
Mayo

General Surgery
Marshfield Clinic

Internal Medicine
University of Minnesota
UC Davis
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Mayo
Mayo
Mayo
Brigham & Women’s

Neurology
UCLA

Neurology - Child
U Colorado

Neurosurgery
Barrow/St Josephs
Mayo

OB/Gyn
Johns Hopkins

Orthopedic Surgery
Allegheny
U Washington
Northwestern

Otolaryngology
SUNY-Buffalo
University of Minnesota

Pathology
Mayo

Pediatrics
Baylor
Baylor
Mayo
Vanderbilt
WashU/St. Louis Children’s

PM&R
Mayo

Psychiatry
Harvard/Mass Gen

Radiation Oncology
Mayo
Mayo

Radiology
Mayo
Mayo
U Wisconsin
Vanderbilt

Vascular Surgery
Medical University of South Carolina

No real surprises here, superb as usual. Thanks for posting!

Anyone know when they start awarding aid packages? Or when the aid packages have been released in previous years?

Anyone know when they start awarding aid packages? Or when the aid packages have been released in previous years?

I emailed the financial aid office last week and David said he was scheduled to meet with the Mayo Development team to discuss scholarship funds for the upcoming year and that it will be after this meeting that they will start processing awards,

I emailed the financial aid office last week and David said he was scheduled to meet with the Mayo Development team to discuss scholarship funds for the upcoming year and that it will be after this meeting that they will start processing awards,

I wonder when that meeting will be, getting antsy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was slightly better than expected. :thumbup: Not amazing but better than anticipated(I had pretty grim expectations though).

My aid package was pretty disappointing... I calculated ill probably be 80 to 90 grand in debt by the end if I live pretty frugally as I do now... that's scary but still better than most places!

My aid package was pretty disappointing... I calculated ill probably be 80 to 90 grand in debt by the end if I live pretty frugally as I do now... that's scary but still better than most places!

Haha if you are only going to be 80 or 90 grand in debt than your aid was much better than mine :p

Haha if you are only going to be 80 or 90 grand in debt than your aid was much better than mine :p

I got a 9000 scholarship on top of the 15000 and the rest in federal loans which I wont take out even a quarter of what's offered. Ialso factored in that I have oveR 10000 in education awards from americorps and by doing that am amazing at budgetting. I also factored in that I will exhaust pretty much everything in my modest savings account.

I got a 9000 scholarship on top of the 15000 and the rest in federal loans which I wont take out even a quarter of what's offered. Ialso factored in that I have oveR 10000 in education awards from americorps and by doing that am amazing at budgetting. I also factored in that I will exhaust pretty much everything in my modest savings account.

ah ok, that makes sense. So far everyone seems to have got the same amount of scholarships(15k + the 9K).

For the sake of equality, 24k is also what returning students are receiving. Let's cross our fingers that the state dumps some extra money in with the budget this summer. We all got an extra 7k gift in September of my first year when that happened.

For the sake of equality, 24k is also what returning students are receiving. Let's cross our fingers that the state dumps some extra money in with the budget this summer. We all got an extra 7k gift in September of my first year when that happened.

except your tuition is a good 7-10k less than ours :(

Any movement from the waitlist yet?

I'm sure if a SDN member gets accepted, they won't shy away from posting. Who knows, with financial aid information rolling in, there might be some movement in the near future.

I'm basically resigned to not getting in off the wait list. Does anyone know how many people (historically) get in after May 15?

I'm basically resigned to not getting in off the wait list. Does anyone know how many people (historically) get in after May 15?

i heard there is pretty good movement off the waitlist, don't give up yet!

I withdrew my acceptance last night. The financial aid package was really brutal for me, given my situation, compared to peer institutions...

I withdrew my acceptance last night. The financial aid package was really brutal for me, given my situation, compared to peer institutions...

For all of us on the waitlist, thank you!

I can't imagine Mayo's cost being brutal considering the average cost of medical school, even state schools.

Unless of course you have a full ride somewhere. That's sort of an obvious conclusion to make when comparing the cost of any medical school to a full (or near) ride.

I can't imagine Mayo's cost being brutal considering the average cost of medical school, even state schools.

Unless of course you have a full ride somewhere. That's sort of an obvious conclusion to make when comparing the cost of any medical school to a full (or near) ride.

It was brutal compared to 1) other private institutions; 2) a state school that I have more personal reasons for preferring; 3) and my expectations of Mayo, since they were supposed to be one of the cheapest medical schools to attend in the country.

Mayo is an unbelievably great institution, so really best of luck to the future class of 2017 there!!

It was brutal compared to 1) other private institutions; 2) a state school that I have more personal reasons for preferring; 3) and my expectations of Mayo, since they were supposed to be one of the cheapest medical schools to attend in the country.

Mayo is an unbelievably great institution, so really best of luck to the future class of 2017 there!!
They still are. As a current student, I can tell you the cost of attendance is inflated by 20-25k+ over actual costs for the average student.

They still are. As a current student, I can tell you the cost of attendance is inflated by 20-25k+ over actual costs for the average student.

Can you comment on what you think the actual costs are?

Can you comment on what you think the actual costs are?

Sure thing.

Tuition for the upcoming year after scholarships/grants should be in the realm of 15-18k.
Rent/Utilities on the upper end would be about 8400
Food $200/mo = 2400
Health Insurance (provided by Mayo at $18/mo) = insignificant whereas not necessarily true elsewhere)
Books are insignificant, you may buy a few but most students do not.
Then there is 10k built into the budget for transportation/personal/miscellaneous, say you may spend 3k.

Add that up and it's 30-32k after scholarships/grants. My actual figures have been 20-25k on top of financial aid for the past two years.

Sure thing.

Tuition for the upcoming year after scholarships/grants should be in the realm of 15-18k.
Food $200/mo = 2400
Health Insurance (provided by Mayo at $18/mo) = insignificant whereas not necessarily true elsewhere)
Then there is 10k built into the budget for transportation/personal/miscellaneous, say you may spend 3k.

Add that up and it's 30-32k after scholarships/grants. My actual figures have been 20-25k on top of financial aid for the past two years.

Thanks Wisco! The breakdown is nice to see.

Sure thing.

Food $200/mo = 2400

Thanks Wisco!

For us incoming first years, the tuition is $43,150, so we will be paying closer to 19-20k after the 24k in grants/scholarships. Unless we magically get more grants... :)

Thanks Wisco!

For us incoming first years, the tuition is $43,150, so we will be paying closer to 19-20k after the 24k in grants/scholarships. Unless we magically get more grants... :)

Does anyone know the chances of us magically getting more grants?

Anyone here on the wait-list for Mayo MSTP? I've heard they told 3 people they're 'very near to top of the waitlist' and it's making me worried they just told everyone that!

I hope not, because I'm holding out hope!

Got a call from a telemarketer with a Rochester number today. Just about crapped my pants.

Got a call from a telemarketer with a Rochester number today. Just about crapped my pants.

So sorry to hear that what a mess. I had a similar instance before I got hold status.. my buddy called from panama and with the country code and area code or whatever... it came out with the first 3 digits of a rochester number. I could have choked him out lol

I'm guessing that Mayo is like most schools and that if you are not high in the waiting list you will not be receiving an invite to second look, correct?

I believe their 2nd look is next weekend, btw.

I'm guessing that Mayo is like most schools and that if you are not high in the waiting list you will not be receiving an invite to second look, correct?

I believe their 2nd look is next weekend, btw.

Well, being that they don't rank their alternate list, the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.