2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if being drawn out in terms of waiting for the next step is a good thing for Mayo or a bad thing... In other words, whether or not it means they like you but just want to let the top students come forward first...
 
Honestly, if I were you I would stop being negative or checking your phone. In my experience, that's when interviews come!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's a very nice sounding rejection. Wow, I'm not dreading my rejection now....

I've always been told Mayo sends the most pleasant rejection emails. I'm just seeing how long I can delay mine 😉

And don't freak out about how long you wait, it's really luck of the draw. I was in early/mid July and just got my LOR Request yesterday, yet people with lower stats got theirs almost immediately. I am pretty sure it just goes by whose pile it ends up getting tossed on, and how they order them personally. AKA - There's no method to the madness, don't read into it.
 
I've always been told Mayo sends the most pleasant rejection emails. I'm just seeing how long I can delay mine 😉

And don't freak out about how long you wait, it's really luck of the draw. I was in early/mid July and just got my LOR Request yesterday, yet people with lower stats got theirs almost immediately. I am pretty sure it just goes by whose pile it ends up getting tossed on, and how they order them personally. AKA - There's no method to the madness, don't read into it.

I like your style
 
Most of my class is going camping today...I can't go. No biggie, been camping before! Congratz on II guys

you guys go camping together?!

Ugh, I can't get my friends to go camping for one weekend! (granted we're all spread out and have jobs)
 
Any idea for Sparta when we may expect or can expect another big batch of II to go out? Seems like the ones this week haven't been large.
 
Any idea for Sparta when we may expect or can expect another big batch of II to go out? Seems like the ones this week haven't been large.

Not for sure, but I would assume they send out whatever they have ready. Sounds like they had a busy week with orientation and such. I would expect that next week and the week after that are much more active. Again, that's an assumption.

Also, pretty sure they roll out only a few at a time naturally, they only have 300-350 total to give out... that's less than half of most schools I look at.
 
Not for sure, but I would assume they send out whatever they have ready. Sounds like they had a busy week with orientation and such. I would expect that next week and the week after that are much more active. Again, that's an assumption.

Also, pretty sure they roll out only a few at a time naturally, they only have 300-350 total to give out... that's less than half of most schools I look at.

Oo yeah. I forgot orientation and all that was going on. Thanks!! And good luck
 
They're not rolling, but their interviews are.

And it seems like it'll be about a month after completion to hear back, if not longer.

my II e-mail says:

Because of our compressed interview season, interview dates will only be released as dictated by the Mayo Medical School Admissions Staff. It is to your advantage to schedule an interview day at your earliest convenience due to our rolling admissions policy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my II e-mail says:

Because of our compressed interview season, interview dates will only be released as dictated by the Mayo Medical School Admissions Staff. It is to your advantage to schedule an interview day at your earliest convenience due to our rolling admissions policy.

Hm, I could've sworn they gave everyone notices the same day. Guess I was wrong, and MSAR doesn't designate anything other than October 15th is the first date possible for acceptances.

My bad!

Either way, the earlier the better.
 
Hm, I could've sworn they gave everyone notices the same day. Guess I was wrong, and MSAR doesn't designate anything other than October 15th is the first date possible for acceptances.

My bad!

Either way, the earlier the better.

I'm confused. Notice the same day about what? I feel like I may have misunderstood your point so I could be wrong!
 
Came back from vacation today to find an interview invite from mayo in my mailbox! Very pumped and scared at the same time haha.

For all those keeping track:

3.4/35, lots of paid clinical experience, graduate degree, solid committee letter
LOR Request: 7/7
LOR Received: 7/13
Interview Invite: 8/2


Also, this is probably a silly question, but i dont have a lot of far away interviews planned for this season, so what is the best way to approach this? Get an interview date set up and worry about plane tickets later? Or try to order tickets while looking at interview days and try to get a good match? I was hoping to fly in late one night, stay with another student, and then fly out after interview. Is that feasible? Also, Minneapolis or Rochester for flight?

Sorry I know this stuff has been addressed before and I will take my time to read through this tread, im just a bit overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your help and good luck to those who are waiting. My stats go to show you that Mayo definitely doesnt care about numbers as much as the other giants.
 
Came back from vacation today to find an interview invite from mayo in my mailbox! Very pumped and scared at the same time haha.

For all those keeping track:

3.4/35, lots of paid clinical experience, graduate degree, solid committee letter
LOR Request: 7/7
LOR Received: 7/13
Interview Invite: 8/2


Also, this is probably a silly question, but i dont have a lot of far away interviews planned for this season, so what is the best way to approach this? Get an interview date set up and worry about plane tickets later? Or try to order tickets while looking at interview days and try to get a good match? I was hoping to fly in late one night, stay with another student, and then fly out after interview. Is that feasible? Also, Minneapolis or Rochester for flight?

Sorry I know this stuff has been addressed before and I will take my time to read through this tread, im just a bit overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your help and good luck to those who are waiting. My stats go to show you that Mayo definitely doesnt care about numbers as much as the other giants.

If you are pressed for money, it could benefit you to pick an interview date with cheaper flights. (I like www.hipmunk.com for flight and hotel comparisons.) Of course, you should balance that with the fact that Mayo has rolling admissions, so choosing a later date could put you at a disadvantage. Personally I picked the earliest one available.

I've heard people say you can save money by flying into Minneapolis, but it came out to about the same for me. It didn't seem like it'd be a big deal to shuttle from Minneapolis though.
 
I'm going to take the shuttle---flight to MSP was $250, to RST it was >$650. Anyone know where it would be best to be picked up/dropped off by the GoRochesterShuttle?

Also, I used Kayak. I've traveled a lot (mostly overseas) and it never fails me!
 
I'm going to take the shuttle---flight to MSP was $250, to RST it was >$650. Anyone know where it would be best to be picked up/dropped off by the GoRochesterShuttle?

Also, I used Kayak. I've traveled a lot (mostly overseas) and it never fails me!

Are you flying back the day of your interview or are you staying an extra day? Im just worried about missing the flight back home after interview since the last planes seem to be leaving around 5-6.

I was hoping to stay with a student host. Would hosts be willing to let me stay an extra day or is that just not commonly done?
 
Last edited:
Are you flying back the day of your interview or are you staying an extra day? Im just worried about missing the flight back home after interview since the last planes seem to be leaving around 5-6.

I was hoping to stay with a student host. Would hosts be willing to let me stay an extra day or is that just not commonly done?

i'm flying out the same day as my interview, I had no choice. I figured if the day ends at 3, I can reach MSP by 5-5:30 for a 6-6:15 flight
 
Hey guys, would it be worth adding this school to my AMCAS this late in the game? I didn't apply to it originally, but now I want to, and I know they have rolling admissions. Will my chances be much lower?
 
Hey guys, would it be worth adding this school to my AMCAS this late in the game? I didn't apply to it originally, but now I want to, and I know they have rolling admissions. Will my chances be much lower?

It can't hurt man. It'd suck to look back and wonder 'what if'. Plus, I accidentally went into last year's thread and someone was talking about submitting in September or something and still getting in. like I said, can't hurt!
 
I got my LOR received email on 7/25!! Really hoping to get an interview. I'm a MN resident, and the mayo is by far my #1. Probably a long shot though 🙂 but glad I got this far haha.
 
I was complete 7/6, still haven't heard anything :/ anyone same boat?
Same here. received complete LOR email on June 6. Haven't heard back yet. Decent MCAT: 35S, GPA 3.93/3.99 and EC's: 2 summer volunteer in rural Guatemala health clinic + currently research internship at NIH. Anyone else verified on the first wave but haven't received any news (II or rejections)?
 
Same here. received complete LOR email on June 6. Haven't heard back yet. Decent MCAT: 35S, GPA 3.93/3.99 and EC's: 2 summer volunteer in rural Guatemala health clinic + currently research internship at NIH. Anyone else verified on the first wave but haven't received any news (II or rejections)?

As far as I'm concerned guys. No news is good news. Mayo isnt going to keep us hanging too long. I expect we should hear something next week as it appears things have been busy and slower than earlier in July.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's student hosting for interviewees right?

Yes, there should be. Two of my classmates are working on that and it should be ready in the near future.

If you are pressed for money, it could benefit you to pick an interview date with cheaper flights. (I like www.hipmunk.com for flight and hotel comparisons.) Of course, you should balance that with the fact that Mayo has rolling admissions, so choosing a later date could put you at a disadvantage. Personally I picked the earliest one available.

I've heard people say you can save money by flying into Minneapolis, but it came out to about the same for me. It didn't seem like it'd be a big deal to shuttle from Minneapolis though.

Interviewing earlier is better but later is not a death sentence; a decent chunk of my class (including myself) interviewed later in October- December and we are here now!

I'm going to take the shuttle---flight to MSP was $250, to RST it was >$650. Anyone know where it would be best to be picked up/dropped off by the GoRochesterShuttle?

Also, I used Kayak. I've traveled a lot (mostly overseas) and it never fails me!

Shuttle is a good bet. You could get dropped off at the Kahler which is close to all the main places (and our med school building) and get picked up there as well. Are you planning on student hosting?

any speculation on next batch of interviews?

We just finished block one and had a lot of administrative stuff due on Friday. I think the next "big" batch is coming up soon, but the office is defintely busy. We also have family weekend next week (and my family is coming to visit!) so it should be good.
 
. Anyone know where it would be best to be picked up/dropped off by the GoRochesterShuttle?


According to their site, they drop of at the following (plus most hotels for registered guests of those hotels).

"For Rochester area residents, we pick-up and drop-off at the Kahler Grand Hotel, St Mary's Hospital (west entrance), and the Microtel."

Of those, the Kahler will get you closest to where you need to be. It's like 1 long block by the Gonda and Mayo building and 1 short block and you're at the med school. You can go through tunnels and buildings inside most of the way if the weather is bad.

Even on the street by the clinic buildings if you look even remotely lost, you'll have several people ask if they can help you find something.
 
We just finished block one and had a lot of administrative stuff due on Friday. I think the next "big" batch is coming up soon, but the office is defintely busy. We also have family weekend next week (and my family is coming to visit!) so it should be good.


Thanks for the heads up. So far from what I've gathered in the posts, here's the Interview Invites timeline:

1'st batch: July 22 and a trickle on August 2, both ~2:30-3am EST.

2nd batch: TBD

For those 7/6ers and 7/13ers, hope is still in the air 🙄
 
07/24, looks like I'm complete.

Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.

Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.

No II though.
 
Yes, there should be. Two of my classmates are working on that and it should be ready in the near future.



Interviewing earlier is better but later is not a death sentence; a decent chunk of my class (including myself) interviewed later in October- December and we are here now!



Shuttle is a good bet. You could get dropped off at the Kahler which is close to all the main places (and our med school building) and get picked up there as well. Are you planning on student hosting?



We just finished block one and had a lot of administrative stuff due on Friday. I think the next "big" batch is coming up soon, but the office is defintely busy. We also have family weekend next week (and my family is coming to visit!) so it should be good.

Got the student hosting e-mail this morning, and yes, I am looking for student hosting!

Thanks for clarifying the shuttle information, super helpful!---I was going to call Mayo on Monday to clarify this.

Have fun at family weekend!
 
I'm confused. Notice the same day about what? I feel like I may have misunderstood your point so I could be wrong!

Same day for handing out all their acceptances (non-rolling). Sorry for the confusion. They don't do this at Mayo.

As far as I'm concerned guys. No news is good news. Mayo isnt going to keep us hanging too long. I expect we should hear something next week as it appears things have been busy and slower than earlier in July.

Basically, Mayo will reject you once they know they don't want you. No point in keeping extra applications on their desk/computer. Some schools don't bother saying anything, Mayo doesn't seem to keep people hanging. Therefore, if you're in the running, that's good! 🙂


Also, I just realized, what am I going to do once I actually get accepted? My Username is going to be extremely ineffective. Might just have to quit. :meanie:
 
Same day for handing out all their acceptances (non-rolling). Sorry for the confusion. They don't do this at Mayo.



Basically, Mayo will reject you once they know they don't want you. No point in keeping extra applications on their desk/computer. Some schools don't bother saying anything, Mayo doesn't seem to keep people hanging. Therefore, if you're in the running, that's good! 🙂


Also, I just realized, what am I going to do once I actually get accepted? My Username is going to be extremely ineffective. Might just have to quit. :meanie:

Haha with your username, if you suddenly stopped posting people might assume the worst :laugh:
 
...Also, I just realized, what am I going to do once I actually get accepted? My Username is going to be extremely ineffective. Might just have to quit. :meanie:

You'll have to do what I'll probably end up doing--pay the $20 donation to SDN to have your username changed. 😀
 
The only mayo I like is the school.

I swear that condiment is half the reason why America is obese. It doesn't even taste that good.

PS: Haters gonna hate, if you're a mayonnaise lover that's too bad 😛
 
All I know is if I get into Mayo, and that's a big if, I'll be making sure to buy forsparta a drink at second look. Thanks for all the insider information!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite! Definitely wasn't expecting this one. Guess I'll add my dates to the list.


thelight02: FE: n/a FR: n/a LOR: 7/3 C: 7/24 II: W: R: A:
081479058: FE: 7/1 FR: 7/3 LOR: 7/5 C: n/a II: 7/21 W: R: A:
imcanadaian: FE: 7/2 FR: 7/3 LOR: 7/9 C: 7/13 II: W: R: A:
collegestud2013: FE: 7/2 FR: 7/3 LOR: 7/7 C: 7/13 II: 8/5 W: R: A:
dextor2003: FE: 7/4 FR: 7/5 LOR: 7/11 C: 7/14 II: W: R: A:
einstein1990: FE: 7/25 FR: paid 7/25, no email confirmation LOR: 8/1 C: II: R: A:
eggs13: FE: n/a FR: 7/16 LOR: 7/26 C: 8/1 II: W: R: A:
premedgirl88: FE:7/12 FR:7/13 LOR:7/21 C:7/25 II: W: R: A:
zaq: FE: 7/26 FR: 7/30 LOR:8/1 II: W: R: A:
 
Damn...was complete 7/14...guess I'll be expecting that rejection email soon..

But congrats to you two 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.