2012-2013 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist !

So who else thought that the chap stick we got on interview day was like.. the best chap stick they ever used?

I just withdrew... and in my formal withdrawal letter asked for any more sticks if admissions had them to spare.

And I thought I was the only one! Yes. It's pretty damn amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. So i just called UCD and they said they have approximately 170 people currently on the waitlist - Definitely more than I was expecting (they told us at the interview that they WL ~100 people).

Hmm.. So i just called UCD and they said they have approximately 170 people currently on the waitlist - Definitely more than I was expecting (they told us at the interview that they WL ~100 people).

I'm glad you called and asked! I was really wondering about the waitlist numbers. I'm actually surprised it is only 170... didn't realize they rejected so many post-interview.

Yikes. So much for accepting anywhere near 50% off the waitlist. Did they mention anything else of interest, like how many people are still holding on to acceptances?

Yikes. So much for accepting anywhere near 50% off the waitlist. Did they mention anything else of interest, like how many people are still holding on to acceptances?

Yeah I'm theorizing that they bumped up the number of people they decided to put on the WL this year. If that's the case, I don't think 50% will get off this year especially with the class size being 105.

No, she didn't say anything about how many people were holding acceptances at this point but that a lot of spots will open up by May 15.

....really wish UCDavis wasn't so cash-strapped....

Looking at last year's and the year before's thread, it seems that they accepted some wait-listers on May 10.. Let tomorrow be the day!

that they had more money to give for fin aid

Have you talked to anyone in the fin aid department regarding this? I know they definitely have quite a few funds for need-based aid, but I've personally received a hefty merit scholarship (guided my decision to come here) and when I spoke to the financial aid director she mentioned there were at least three other scholarships such as these (all based on merit). She also told me that they give out around $10,000 in grants to all their students (not based on parent income), and from what I heard from many of the med students I've spoken with, this seems fairly accurate.

Have you talked to anyone in the fin aid department regarding this? I know they definitely have quite a few funds for need-based aid, but I've personally received a hefty merit scholarship (guided my decision to come here) and when I spoke to the financial aid director she mentioned there were at least three other scholarships such as these (all based on merit). She also told me that they give out around $10,000 in grants to all their students (not based on parent income), and from what I heard from many of the med students I've spoken with, this seems fairly accurate.

I received an estimate of my financial aid package from my fin aid officer at the school and it was less than exciting. I was expecting more need-based aid. It wasn't competitive compared with other schools I have received fin aid awards from and my interpretation of that was my previous comment above.

That's great you got a hefty merit scholarship though. want to share? :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an estimate of my financial aid package from my fin aid officer at the school and it was less than exciting. I was expecting more need-based aid. It wasn't competitive compared with other schools I have received fin aid awards from and my interpretation of that was my previous comment above.

Just curious, when did you receive your estimate?

Also, has anyone else received an estimate and/or their official packets?

Just curious, when did you receive your estimate?

Also, has anyone else received an estimate and/or their official packets?

I called and specifically requested it. The deadline is coming up next week to choose schools and I haven't received anything yet. My sense, though, is that it will be the same as the official package because the officer used the same fin aid and tax info.

Has ANYONE sent a letter of interest or update or intent to UC Davis?

I wrote a letter of interest which I plan to send on 5/15. Anyone else going to do the same?

Last edited:

I wrote a letter of intent which I plan to send on 5/15. Anyone else going to do the same?

I thought they made it very clear (during interview and also in a response to an e-mail I wrote a few weeks ago asking if updates were allowed) that they do not accept any update/intent letters. Have you heard differently?

I thought they made it very clear (during interview and also in a response to an e-mail I wrote a few weeks ago asking if updates were allowed) that they do not accept any update/intent letters. Have you heard differently?

I heard the same thing at the interview. I called a few months after, however, and was told on the phone that, "We don't accept letters until May 15th". So I'm not entirely sure whether letters are an absolute no-no; perhaps someone else can call as well? I'm writing letters for all of my wait-listed schools, and it feels strange doing nothing for UC Davis.

I heard the same thing at the interview. I called a few months after, however, and was told on the phone that, "We don't accept letters until May 15th". So I'm not entirely sure whether letters are an absolute no-no; perhaps someone else can call as well? I'm writing letters for all of my wait-listed schools, and it feels strange doing nothing for UC Davis.

Ooooo, interesting! That'd be great if we could send something in.

I think tomorrow is an important day?

I wrote a letter of interest which I plan to send on 5/15. Anyone else going to do the same?

So did you end up sending the LOI? Did they respond?

Thanks for looking into this for us! You and your friend are awesome!

Hi Friends,

I just got accepted off the wait list at UC Davis this morning and definitely plan on attending. I interviewed in mid-January and was wait listed late-January. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Does anyone know if the admission's office gives out information about where we stand on the waitlist? (If we're at the top, middle, or bottom)

Congrats to those accepted today! I hope there is still some luck left for me in the coming days! :)

Does anyone know if the admission's office gives out information about where we stand on the waitlist? (If we're at the top, middle, or bottom)

I wish they would, the anxiety is killer. But I called them and they said that they wouldn't. Here is to hope! My dream comes down to a rank on a waitlist...

I feel like the adcom doesn't rank the waitlist, but rather one of the deans does. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Anybody hear of any other acceptances? This thread is quiet.... Does anyone know of acceptance statistics for waitlisted applicants? Thanks.

Last edited:
Anybody hear of any other acceptances? This thread is quiet.... Does anyone know of acceptance statistics for waitlisted applicants? Thanks.

One of my friends got accepted off the waitlist (but ultimately declined), so yes, there has been movement.

Was just accepted as well!!!! This was my first and definitely worst interview of the season-- totally shocked to be accepted. Interviewed in September.
Hey. I got accepted as well and I am going to be attending! I've started to look for places to live. Have any of you started the apartment/room search? We should definitely open a thread for housing for the incoming class because I haven't seen a facebook one.

Hey everyone.
I'm looking to find a place to live in Sacramento with other classmates.
I think it would be awesome to live with my fellow students than in a random house with random people!

Let's start the housing and roommate search.

I'm a girl, who prefers to live with only girls. I'm clean, I'm chill, I cook really well so no one is gonna miss home cooked meals! I like to do outdoor activities like hiking and jogging. I'm open to try new activities and I'm looking for a balanced roommate that's not a party animal nor a bore. I don't smoke or drink. No large pets please.
I have found a house, where there are two rooms available.

This thread has been quiet (about acceptances) for some time. Any updates from anyone?

This thread has been quiet (about acceptances) for some time. Any updates from anyone?
No personal update, but I called yesterday. I was told:
1. There has been some decent waitlist movement since 5/15
2. They will not accept updates/interest letters and will base their decisions off of the interview & our application).
3. The committee will meet again "soon" (approximate number days unsure).
4. We just have to wait........
5. Good luck.

So yup, nothing new.

No personal update, but I called yesterday. I was told:
1. There has been some decent waitlist movement since 5/15
2. They will not accept updates/interest letters and will base their decisions off of the interview & our application).
3. The committee will meet again "soon" (approximate number days unsure).
4. We just have to wait........
5. Good luck.

So yup, nothing new.

Awesome, thanks!

Got the call earlier today. There's definitely still movement on the waitlist.

Got the Call around 3:30 today, I think he mentioned that they met earlier today!

Hard to believe that I got accepted 10 moths after my interview, so I can't wait to see the official email/letter.

Withdrew from waitlist, was OOS interviewee, good luck guys.

Withdrew from waitlist, was OOS interviewee, good luck guys.

Thanks, and congrats to you for getting in elsewhere!

I'm really wondering what's going on with the waitlist and whether any movement can be reasonably expected in late June. I've called, but was given the same vague answers as before.

I recently got accepted off the waitlist. Where are you guys finding housing/roommates?

Status
Not open for further replies.