2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so I have a question for any current waitlistees or M2/M3/M4s who might be on this thread:

I too am on the waitlist here, CU has been my number 1 choice for the entire application cycle, but I am fortunate enough to have other acceptances. Up until this point I have been hoping to get an acceptance to CU and knew if I did that I would matriculate here in the blink of an eye. But this whole process has me incredibly frustrated at the lack of transparency and just the feeling of being strung along by CU's admissions office.... I feel like CU is taking significantly longer to get back to students on the waitlist, refuses to give us any sort of realistic (or even consistent) information about our statuses to make informed decisions on our lives, and has no excuse or reasoning for it. I understand that is part of being on the waitlist, but I am also waitlisted at other schools and haven't experienced the same kind of question-deflecting and conflicting information that I have here.

Am I over-reacting and blaming the entire school for a problem that is simply inherent to the application process? Or is this how the show is normally run at CU? It just seems so unorganized and inconsistent.... and it's honestly making me question my desire to go to CU above other schools at all.

Thoughts? Is this how the next four years will be?

Members don't see this ad.

so I have a question for any current waitlistees or M2/M3/M4s who might be on this thread:

I too am on the waitlist here, CU has been my number 1 choice for the entire application cycle, but I am fortunate enough to have other acceptances. Up until this point I have been hoping to get an acceptance to CU and knew if I did that I would matriculate here in the blink of an eye. But this whole process has me incredibly frustrated at the lack of transparency and just the feeling of being strung along by CU's admissions office.... I feel like CU is taking significantly longer to get back to students on the waitlist, refuses to give us any sort of realistic (or even consistent) information about our statuses to make informed decisions on our lives, and has no excuse or reasoning for it. I understand that is part of being on the waitlist, but I am also waitlisted at other schools and haven't experienced the same kind of question-deflecting and conflicting information that I have here.

Am I over-reacting and blaming the entire school for a problem that is simply inherent to the application process? Or is this how the show is normally run at CU? It just seems so unorganized and inconsistent.... and it's honestly making me question my desire to go to CU above other schools at all.

Thoughts? Is this how the next four years will be?
I'll just tell my CU-Denver story to put it into perspective.
I first interviewed back in September, and then didn't hear anything back despite until AFTER March 31 (I called repeatedly to check and they kept saying next week, no the next week, etc). On April 5 they told me they couldn't make a decision and that they wanted me to come back for a 3rd interview. I flew from Santa Cruz (Im in state, but go to school at UCSC) back for my interview on April 7. They told me I would here back within a week. 2 and a half weeks later, I found out that I was placed on the alternate list.
And I still would go there over the other school that I am currently planning on attending (as a hint, its in D.C.).

Its not that they are unorganized or inconsistent, its just part of their "hollistic" approach, trying to give everyone a fair shot. Could they have gotten back to us sooner? Absolutely. Was I upset by the way my application was handled? Yeah. But the benefits of the school far outweigh the waiting game we've had to play.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just tell my CU-Denver story to put it into perspective.
I first interviewed back in September, and then didn't hear anything back despite until AFTER March 31 (I called repeatedly to check and they kept saying next week, no the next week, etc). On April 5 they told me they couldn't make a decision and that they wanted me to come back for a 3rd interview. I flew from Santa Cruz (Im in state, but go to school at UCSC) back for my interview on April 7. They told me I would here back within a week. 2 and a half weeks later, I found out that I was placed on the alternate list.
And I still would go there over the other school that I am currently planning on attending (as a hint, its in D.C.).

Its not that they are unorganized or inconsistent, its just part of their "hollistic" approach, trying to give everyone a fair shot. Could they have gotten back to us sooner? Absolutely. Was I upset by the way my application was handled? Yeah. But the benefits of the school far outweigh the waiting game we've had to play.

thanks for your perspective. that's a crazy story. but also cool that they put enough consideration into your app to give you a third interview!

Wow. I'm sure they haven't given my application that much thought... Good luck, bro!

I feel like I'm holding a very long breath for the day with the large wait list movement

I sincerely hope that that day comes.... How is it that none of the waitlist acceptances have posted here? What kind of medical school applicant is unaware of SDN?

Hmm.. well it is Saturday, so that wave of waitlist acceptances has definitely gone out... Fingers crossed for all of you SDNers! Hopefully some of us will be receiving that life-changing email in the weeks to come.

Hmm.. well it is Saturday, so that wave of waitlist acceptances has definitely gone out... Fingers crossed for all of you SDNers! Hopefully some of us will be receiving that life-changing email in the weeks to come.

There were acceptances this week?

Well I just called the office right now and the lady said they would be sending out acceptances within the next week. Don't quote me on this but I got the feeling that previous acceptances have not been sent out
and I tried asking how the movement was going to look like this year and she didn't really give me a straight answer but she hinted at it being normal

I called admissions just now and she said some people have gotten off the wait list. the facebook stalking seems to tell the truth

Hahaha you tell me, sourdoughllama! I was relying entirely on your information.

Oh haha well at this point I don't really know what information to believe from the admissions office!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems there are a couple new faces in the Facebook group. Another school at which I'm wait-listed also has a Facebook group, except there are apparently an ass-load of M2s in the group--a fact that makes me feel better. Does anyone know whether it's the same case with Colorado?

Last edited:
Please, God, let this be the week!

And for those observers who keep tabs on this forum but never chime in, you should totally post your stats if accepted. It really helps those of us in limbo as well as future applicants to gauge the situation and make informed decisions. ;)

There were acceptances this week?

Hey all,

I just called the admissions office and wanted to share the info that I got, which is pretty similar to what everyone else has been saying- there have been ongoing acceptances, and she said they always keep the class at 160, so waitlist acceptances are going to be more of a trickle effect rather than multiple acceptances at once, in order to continually keep the class at 160. She did say that it is not unusual to accept people up until August right before orientation starts.

Hey all,

I just called the admissions office and wanted to share the info that I got, which is pretty similar to what everyone else has been saying- there have been ongoing acceptances, and she said they always keep the class at 160, so waitlist acceptances are going to be more of a trickle effect rather than multiple acceptances at once, in order to continually keep the class at 160. She did say that it is not unusual to accept people up until August right before orientation starts.

Thanks for the info! So the class is currently full?

Yep, that's what she said. And as people drop out, they will keep accepting us waitlist folk.

I don't suppose they gave you an idea of how many more people they're expecting to drop, did they? :rolleyes:

I don't suppose they gave you an idea of how many more people they're expecting to drop, did they? :rolleyes:

haha, of course not! you can bet I asked though. She just made it sound like they would accept "a few" (whatever that means) people a week as spots open (I would guess fewer spots will open as time goes on) up through August, right up until orientation, but didn't use any exact numbers.

Has the admissions lady asked for your name when you call? I've called a few times and have been getting the same info that's being posted on here, but she hasn't inquired as to who's calling. Should I just slip my name in at the end of the conversation? Or does it not matter?

hey guys i never post but just wanted to let everyone know that i was accepted off the waitlist but gave up my spot. Hope someone gets it!

hey guys i never post but just wanted to let everyone know that i was accepted off the waitlist but gave up my spot. Hope someone gets it!

Thank you for posting this! If I may ask, when did you give up your spot?

OH MY GOD. Thanks so much for posting! That's awesome.

Gave it up this past week :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Threads from past years seem to indicate that the Admissions office held some sort of informational session for us waitlisters--did anyone this year get invited to anything of the sort?

In my experience, these informational sessions are pretty worthless. The administration gives out some facts about who was accepts (average gpa, age, etc), and other things I could have googled. Then they talk about how highly they are admired by other schools, rankings in certain fields, and how diverse their student body is.

It seemed like general politics to me: they try to make you think they are really transparent (when anybody who reads these boards knows they are extremely secretive) and try to sell you more on the school to get you to apply another year, thereby raising their admission numbers.

Maybe others have different opinions but I thought I wasted my time by attending these meetings.

Edit: Also, the sessions are open to anybody I believe, not just waitlisters.

Last edited:
In my experience, these informational sessions are pretty worthless. The administration gives out some facts about who was accepts (average gpa, age, etc), and other things I could have googled. Then they talk about how highly they are admired by other schools, rankings in certain fields, and how diverse their student body is.

It seemed like general politics to me: they try to make you think they are really transparent (when anybody who reads these boards knows they are extremely secretive) and try to sell you more on the school to get you to apply another year, thereby raising their admission numbers.

Maybe others have different opinions but I thought I wasted my time by attending these meetings.

+1

If you've been to an interview day, then you've heard most of it before.

I went to one as a CU undergrad. This is pretty much spot-on, IMO.

Got the news around 2:45. I still don't know what to think, but I've had worse problems.

I need some context, big cat

Sorry, the headline is kind of small, but I was :clap:admitted:clap: to the class of 2017 today. I'd been on the alternate list since March 28th.

I still don't believe it, but yeah, the e-mail is still in my inbox.

Sorry, the headline is kind of small, but I was :clap:admitted:clap: to the class of 2017 today. I'd been on the alternate list since March 28th.

Dude. Congrats!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJCFc_qkHw[/YOUTUBE]

What were your stats?

Non-traditional applicant with a 3.4 GPA and 37S MCAT.

Or just click the "View Profile" link under the picture of my daughter.

That MCAT score is ballin', especially the writing portion (though apparently it's inconsequential). Congrats-a-million on the acceptance.

Would you mind providing some info on what your extracurriculars were? My hope for being accepted off the waitlist is waning, and I need to beef up my application for the next cycle ASAP.

Accepted off waitlist today. CO resident, 3.6GPA, 36P MCAT. Good luck to everyone here!

Status
Not open for further replies.