2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you taking 88 to Peoria? Maybe you meant to say 80 which seemingly always has construction.

And to the OP, they took a bus out of the greyhound station down by UIC but I'm not sure which bus line. Peoria isn't a great walking town but you should be able to make it work since you will be downtown Peoria. My dad actually went to the Peoria campus for med school so you will have to let me know how it is! Good luck!

Well I go to school west of Peoria, so I take 88 to the quad cities then go south. But whenever I go to Peoria instead I take 88 to 39. I think the distance is about the same but maybe I just do it wrong. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of getting an interview after receiving a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of getting an interview after receiving a secondary?

Last year, there were 7909 applicants with 850 interviews sent out, so about an 11% chance of receiving an interview.

but not all 8000 applicants receive a secondary. Only a portion of them do and from that portion 800 were interviewed. So I guess my question is how many people received secondaries ...

I can't find it on their website, but I remember reading about how they screen applicants with a 2.8 GPA and 23 MCAT cut off point. I'd assume the number of verified applicants is pretty close to the number of secondaries sent out.

Do anyone know the website to check application status? Thanks a lot!

I can't find it on their website, but I remember reading about how they screen applicants with a 2.8 GPA and 23 MCAT cut off point. I'd assume the number of verified applicants is pretty close to the number of secondaries sent out.

For the educational advantages and/or complications essay, should I write about moving from the U.S. to another country and then moving back? It didn't really positively or negatively affect my education.

I've been on the "applicant in process" status for so long. when will it stop...

I've been on the "applicant in process" status for so long. when will it stop...

+1. What is the latest someone with an interview and/or rejection was complete? Feel like I could have phrased that better... Anyone know?

Anyone else not had their status change at all?? Mine has always been 'application is in process' since I was complete on 8/2...

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the only spots left were in Peoria or Rockford... I was in the midst of other interview mania when they sent out the interview invite so I wasn't quick enough to snag a Chicago interview slot, and I honestly didn't know one city from another outside of Chicago! I was afraid of a car being the best option as I really don't drive and feel that renting a car would become a hassle. Do you happen to know which bus lines your friends and family took? I don't mind a bad bus ride as long as I'm not the one driving it!

Thanks for your input btw!!

I live in the suburbs and used to go to school downstate. My first year, I took the bus to school all the time and it was never bad at all. I usually rode suburban express, but there's actually a company called "Peoria Charter" that might be a better option (my assumption based on the name haha). And while I was going to Champaign rather than Peoria, I'm sure they have some buses that go to both, if not a connecting bus if you're really that set against driving. I know that suburban express used to leave from union station, and I'm sure peoria charter does too. There's also a train that can take you to Bloomington from Union station that I'm sure you could find a cheap bus to connect with. This is the train link http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak Good luck! And good luck on the interview!! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions

So how many people got the MD/PhD recruitment email? I find this funny, seeing as this school rejected me for the MD only program last year.

So how many people got the MD/PhD recruitment email? I find this funny, seeing as this school rejected me for the MD only program last year.

Got it. Even if it is a form letter, though, it's kind of refreshing to have someone congratulate me on my MCAT, when it's lower than most people's on SDN... :p

I got one. I wonder what their minimum MCAT score was for someone to receive that email.

Hey Guys,

I hope the app cycle is going well. I'm also an M1 at UIC, but I haven't been on here for a while (med school is as rough as they say it is). Feel free to ask me any questions, or PM them to me.

Good luck!

Do you need a host for your interview - here's a list of first year students who are willing to host applicants.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgJfwz1qYwTUdHVXTHJETUdNTkIwcC1pRnRRVXl3elE

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Best,

Jacob
M1

Also, please note that this is an ENTIRELY student-run system. If you call Admissions asking about student hosting, they won't have any idea what you're talking about. A few students are trying to get this integrated into the whole admissions system. Until then, spread the word if you know anyone interviewing here, and hopefully we can work it into the interview process soon!

Hey guys,

I recently sent an in the area email and received no response, not even a generic reply acknowledging my email. Do you think I might have sent it to the wrong address? Also, does anyone know how receptive this school is to these emails?

Thanks and good luck!

How long did it take from going to Admission office letter review to any status change?

anyone interviewing this Monday in Chicago?? I'm excited to visit the city! I'm also taking a flight out the next morning, so if anyone's down for dinner/drinks after the interview day...let me know :D

To the people who interviewed already:

Did you send you thank you letters by e-mail or snail mail? I'm nervous I'm taking to long to send by snail mail.
How did your interview go?
What did you think of the school?

Did other UIC MSTP applicants get that email requesting that we email them our AMCAS applications and secondaries? I feel a little uneasy about sending them my AMCAS application since they will be able to see all of the schools I applied to (which AMCAS intentionally doesn't share with schools until April).

Did anyone else find this a little odd? On the one hand, I want to keep my list of schools private like they're supposed to be, but on the other hand I want to make sure my application gets processed as soon as possible. What did everyone else do?

Just walked by a bunch of nervous looking applicants waiting for their interviews. Good times.

Did other UIC MSTP applicants get that email requesting that we email them our AMCAS applications and secondaries? I feel a little uneasy about sending them my AMCAS application since they will be able to see all of the schools I applied to (which AMCAS intentionally doesn't share with schools until April).

Did anyone else find this a little odd? On the one hand, I want to keep my list of schools private like they're supposed to be, but on the other hand I want to make sure my application gets processed as soon as possible. What did everyone else do?

If you're concerned about giving too much information you can always wait for them to download the app from their servers like they suggest in the email. Likewise you could remove the schools section, or black it out, from the AMCAS .pdf.

If you're concerned about giving too much information you can always wait for them to download the app from their servers like they suggest in the email. Likewise you could remove the schools section, or black it out, from the AMCAS .pdf.
I sent my secondary as requested without taking out other schools. I got an interview within the week of being completed. I'm sure they know you have to apply broadly for MSTP since there are such few spots so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I just got an II!! Does anyone know when they will open new dates? Only 10-11 to 11/14 showing right now but only 2 days open

I just got an II!! Does anyone know when they will open new dates? Only 10-11 to 11/14 showing right now but only 2 days open

Congrats! MD or MSTP? Any idea if your status switched to 'applicant in process' from 'application' before getting the II?

Congrats! MD or MSTP? Any idea if your status switched to 'applicant in process' from 'application' before getting the II?

Thank you! I applied regular MD. I actually hadnt checked my status up until last week where I noticed it said "Applicant in process" but I have no idea how long it was like that for...I think i was complete mid-late July. I hope that helps! Good luck!!

EEEEEE WHY ISN'T MY STATUS CHANGING! Can you tell if you've been reviewed if it never changes?

EEEEEE WHY ISN'T MY STATUS CHANGING! Can you tell if you've been reviewed if it never changes?

Mine isn't either :(. I'm guessing there's no way to tell if the status doesn't change. Might just be a hold status at this point.

Mine isn't either :(. I'm guessing there's no way to tell if the status doesn't change. Might just be a hold status at this point.

AUGHHH so frustrating. Why you NO LOVE ME, state school?

I tried calling about 3 weeks ago to check my status. I was just told I was complete. Not too helpful :(

It seems that the three different campuses have different interview styles from their website
chicago campus three one-on-one interviews
Peoria one panel interview and one student interview
Rockford one panel interview

Why is that?

Also they say The site of your interview will not determine the campus where you would attend. Then which determine the campus students would attend?

Last edited:
I sent my secondary as requested without taking out other schools. I got an interview within the week of being completed. I'm sure they know you have to apply broadly for MSTP since there are such few spots so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I sent mine without taking anything out either, but if he is concerned those seem like some decent options. I was complete 3 weeks ago, here's hoping I end up with an II too.

It seems that the three different campus have different interview styles from their website
chicago campus three one-on-one interview
Peoria one panel interview and one student interview
Rockford one panel interview

Why is that?

Also they say The site of your interview will not determine the campus where you would attend. Then which determine the campus students would attend?

When you get accepted and return your deposit, you tell them which campus you prefer. It's first come, first serve, from what I was told. Couldn't tell you why the interview styles vary, though.

When you get accepted and return your deposit, you tell them which campus you prefer. It's first come, first serve, from what I was told. Couldn't tell you why the interview styles vary, though.

Yup, after you get an acceptance, you rank your site preference and it tends to be first-come, first-serve. IIRC, the Chicago site tends to fill up around January (based on past years), but if you don't get the site you want, you can petition for a change (it may or may not be successful, depending on your situation).

Thanks! The chicago campus seems most popular according to the schedule as there are only two spots at the other two campuses available right now. But at the same time, interviewees have to go through 3 interviews at the chicago campus.
I am just wondering how they will evaluate all interviewees by the same stardard given that the interview formats are different from campus to campus.

Although they said the site of your interview will not determine the campus where you would attend. But is it likely that where you interviewed will affect when you will br notified? I guess I am just thinking too much. Obviously different format of interviews will have its own prons and cons.

AUGHHH so frustrating. Why you NO LOVE ME, state school?

I tried calling about 3 weeks ago to check my status. I was just told I was complete. Not too helpful :(

Don't worry. I was complete end of August and I didn't receive an interview until end of January. Once you go to Applicant in Progress, it generally means that you're under review. From then on, average time in hearing back was anywhere from 2 weeks-1 month for us.

Good luck! :luck:

Yup, after you get an acceptance, you rank your site preference and it tends to be first-come, first-serve. IIRC, the Chicago site tends to fill up around January (based on past years), but if you don't get the site you want, you can petition for a change (it may or may not be successful, depending on your situation).

Go study. You have an exam tomorrow!

Thanks! The chicago campus seems most popular according to the schedule as there are only two spots at the other two campuses available right now. But at the same time, interviewees have to go through 3 interviews at the chicago campus.
I am just wondering how they will evaluate all interviewees by the same stardard given that the interview formats are different from campus to campus.

It's weird that they're so different in interview styles. I interviewed in Peoria (and am currently at the Chicago campus), and I had a one-on-one student interview and a faculty interview with two alumni surgeons. IIRC, they overnight their evaluations to the Chicago campus, and the same board reviews all of them. I'm sure that each campus has set questions that they need to ask. Beyond that, it's where your conversation leads you.

Although they said the site of your interview will not determine the campus where you would attend. But is it likely that where you interviewed will affect when you will br notified? I guess I am just thinking too much. Obviously different format of interviews will have its own prons and cons.

Like Kaushik said, it has no effect on where you will attend. I heard back around a month after I interviewed, since last year the committee met the third Thursday of every month. Don't know how it is this year, though.

Don't worry. I was complete end of August and I didn't receive an interview until end of January. Once you go to Applicant in Progress, it generally means that you're under review. From then on, average time in hearing back was anywhere from 2 weeks-1 month for us.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey thanks! Stories like this do actually stave off the neurosis for me... if only for a short time before it returns :p

I sent mine without taking anything out either, but if he is concerned those seem like some decent options. I was complete 3 weeks ago, here's hoping I end up with an II too.
Yea it's a strange process I wouldn't worry too much their first MSTP interview is the one I'm going to, Nov 5th. They have plenty of interview dates available seems like they got a bit of a late start, other programs start Oct/Sep... Good luck! All my interview requests came within 2 weeks of submission and now it's been a really quiet week, maybe some schools go through them in batches.

I am wondering the exact same thing. Does anyone know? I called admissions and did not directly ask this question, but it was clear that this info would have been helpful and it was not volunteered. Right now there are zero chicago spots open and 8 at both rockford and peoria.

For those wondering, I was complete September 7th and I was listed as "Applicant In Process" for about 2 weeks and then I got an II on October 9th.

Last edited:
I am wondering the exact same thing. Does anyone know? I called admissions and did not directly ask this question, but it was clear that this info would have been helpful and it was not volunteered. Right now there are zero chicago spots open and 8 at both rockford and peoria.

For those wondering, I was complete September 7th and I was listed as "Applicant In Process" for about 2 weeks and then I got an II on October 9th.

Interview slots fill up very quickly (24hrs for the Oct dates a few weeks ago) and then they added more dates by the next day...so keep refreshing that site and more dates should pop up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.