2012-2013 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what kind of responses are typical for the diversity question? I'm about as un-diverse as an applicant can possibly be and I'm really only able to think of stuff like 'I'm very open to different opinions' or 'I've had so many diverse experiences'

Are you a cookie cutter applicant? If not, what makes you different?

Some of the interesting things in my class include Americorps, Teach For America, prior careers as computer people, someone biked across America, some are parents, some are dancers, artists, musicians, etc. What makes you different as an applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I think one thing to remember is that UVA selects very carefully for interviews (as in it'll be you and 4 other people on interview day) so don't fret if it seems they're giving invites slowly.

I think one thing to remember is that UVA selects very carefully for interviews (as in it'll be you and 4 other people on interview day) so don't fret if it seems they're giving invites slowly.

Not sure if that is terrifying or awesome....guess we will find out!

Members don't see this ad :)

It's actually 6-8 people per interview day (and the interview Mon-Thurs). But same idea.

That means I had 6, including me. It's a much better feeling than looking around the interview waiting room, counting 10 people and knowing only 3 of you will get an acceptance....alas I ended up on the alternate list.

Last edited:
I'm new to this site. I received an interview invite on July 12th. OOS, 4.0, 37

interview invite today :)
IS 3.73 35P
went here for undergrad
complete on 7/16

Got my interview invite today!!! :D
3.87c/3.81s/37R

SO EXCITED!

Also, OOS and submitted secondary 7/21

Last edited:
i just thought to check this today because we talked about the new application cycle over breakfast... good luck, everyone!! i'm currently a m1 going through orientation so i might not be too helpful talking about the school, but i thought i'd pop by and say hello. hope to meet some of you guys at interviews, and don't stress! :)

also to answer a few questions -- yes, uva takes sub-36 mcat (like me). yes, they are very selective for interview slots but that's because that's the biggest bottleneck (everyone at my interview group got in, and this seems to be a common trend). so if you're getting an II you have great hope!

yes, they are very selective for interview slots but that's because that's the biggest bottleneck (everyone at my interview group got in, and this seems to be a common trend). so if you're getting an II you have great hope!

Also, they don't issue IIs or conduct interviews if there aren't still spots in the class. So even if you don't get an interview til January, you still have a shot at getting in.

New to SDN, but got an interview invite last week and I am so excited! I love the UVA campus, honor code, and just about everything else!!! OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, no II yet. Completed on 07/23/12...

OOS interview invite!

secondary submitted 7/30/12
interview invite 8/7/12 :love:

OOS interview invite!

secondary submitted 7/30/12
interview invite 8/7/12 :love:
nice! what day did you get your complete email? and was the II given by email or status update?

Anyone not get a secondary yet? I was verified in early June but I haven't heard a thing...

does uva reject pre-interview or just put you on eternal hold until the end of the cycle?

Anyone know the numbers of II's, accepted, matriculated, etc, or where I can find that?

Interview. OOS 3.2 GPA 35 mcat. They can't be as stat heavy as everyone's been saying if they sent me an II with a 3.2 gpa...

I don't mind at all. I was complete 7/24. I'm also a non-trad applicant. my uGPA was 2.9 but my postbac GPA was a 3.9 so maybe they place on emphasis on most recent coursework. This is of course just speculation. I'm also a re-app here from last year. Last year I was rejected outright but with a late application. If I can give you anymore info, just let me know. Best of luck everyone.

-cj8

I don't mind at all. I was complete 7/24. I'm also a non-trad applicant. my uGPA was 2.9 but my postbac GPA was a 3.9 so maybe they place on emphasis on most recent coursework. This is of course just speculation. I'm also a re-app here from last year. Last year I was rejected outright but with a late application. If I can give you anymore info, just let me know. Best of luck everyone.

-cj8

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well.

I'm a 3rd year at UVa so I'll try to remember to check in every once in a while to answer any questions y'all might have. Good luck with your applications!

Interview. OOS 3.2 GPA 35 mcat. They can't be as stat heavy as everyone's been saying if they sent me an II with a 3.2 gpa...

I've heard they're not as nice on their MCAT stats compared to everything else.

Just submitted my secondary. Here's hoping!

I like UVA. Only complaint is the cost. Ouch.

Interview
OOS 32O, 3.7

Complete 8-15-2012

Just wanted to say that I love your avatar and that i think wed make good friends. Goats are my favorite animals.

Haha, glad to hear it. Goats are my favorite animals too. We need to both get interviews and matriculate at UVA.

How are people travelling to their interviews? I'm coming from Boston and the cheapest flights into Charlolottesville are $440+ and I would need to miss another full day of classes for travel time. Even though my MSTP interview will cover $300, that's still a lot. Coming into Richmond is much cheaper and there are direct flights, but would I just take a cab to and from the airport? (It's 1.5 hours according to Google Maps)

How are people travelling to their interviews? I'm coming from Boston and the cheapest flights into Charlolottesville are $440+ and I would need to miss another full day of classes for travel time. Even though my MSTP interview will cover $300, that's still a lot. Coming into Richmond is much cheaper and there are direct flights, but would I just take a cab to and from the airport? (It's 1.5 hours according to Google Maps)

I am flying into DC, renting a car and driving...probably not any cheaper. My brother lives in Virginia though so I'm also renting the car so I can drive and go visit him.

You can fly into DC and take the train or the bus, or you can rent a car from Richmond. Not sure which the cheapest option is. I flew into Cville and out of DC, but I had a friend to stay with in DC, so it made it a little easier to manage.

Last edited:
I am flying into DC, renting a car and driving...probably not any cheaper. My brother lives in Virginia though so I'm also renting the car so I can drive and go visit him.
Thanks! I'll do the math and see what's cheaper, because I'd be paying an "under 25 fee" for the car rental.

Thanks! I'll do the math and see what's cheaper, because I'd be paying an "under 25 fee" for the car rental.

When I was reserving my car Hertz had the promotion where they waived the under 25 fee if you were over 20 or 21. Saved me 40$.

I'm flying into and out of Charlottesville-- didn't want to bother with the hassle of extra travel since the airport is ~10 miles from campus.

So excited to interview here-- definitely one of my top choices!

going to uva was the worst decision i have ever made in my life. the curriculum does not prepare well towards the boards. it is full of useless fluff. administration is rude and not interested in students best interest. interactions with attendings and residents are just unprofessional.
as for Step 1 for my class, everyone I know is very displeased with their score. So idk what this is about it being the same. sounds like half did well and half did not.
i wish i had been warned before applying here

going to uva was the worst decision i have ever made in my life. the curriculum does not prepare well towards the boards. it is full of useless fluff. administration is rude and not interested in students best interest. interactions with attendings and residents are just unprofessional.
as for Step 1 for my class, everyone I know is very displeased with their score. So idk what this is about it being the same. sounds like half did well and half did not.
Sorry to hear that you hate UVA. I'm a second year and can say that I have truly enjoyed my experience thus far. As for your class not doing well on boards, the avg Step 1 score from the 2013 (old curriculum) to 2014 class was identical at 233. Your class sent us a spreadsheet with Step 1 study strategies (along with their respective board scores) and plenty of people scored WELL over 240 (at least >30 people who posted on the spreadsheet...which obviously doesn't include everyone). So clearly the curriculum worked and/or students are smart enough to do well on step anyway.

Secondly, the curriculum changed a TON from the 2014 to the 2015 class (and I'm sure has been changed for the 2016ers). Each rendition of it results in a stronger curriculum.

For example, we just finished our cardio block which was AMAZING...it followed First Aid almost identically with a few more clinical things thrown in (more EKG reading than First Aid, etc). It's actually been one of my favorite systems (along with GI). And I distinctly remember that this system was a nightmare for the 2014 class - very disorganized and lacked appropriate level reading material.

In any case, I just wanted to shed light on an alternative viewpoint from the poster above. Don't be discouraged from applying to UVA based on a comment like this.

UVA is awesome and if you have any questions/concerns about the NexGen curriculum, feel free to post here/message me.

Last edited:

When I was reserving my car Hertz had the promotion where they waived the under 25 fee if you were over 20 or 21. Saved me 40$.

You can also join the Hertz gold membership for free for a year (normally $60) and they will waive the under 25 fee. If you anticipate needing to rent a car for multiple interviews, this is a nice way to go.

It is for this reason, I think you should take everything people in my class (including myself and Steeler) say about the pre-clerkship curriculum with a grain of salt. It was extremely rough for us, and there have been more than a few times I wish I had deferred so I didn't have to deal with the growing pains of the new curriculum. And now SMD15 gets a taste of it by being the first to go through a new clerkship curriculum as well (I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like their structure better).

Bottom line, there are a few people (I'm not going to take a stab at how many) in my class who hate the new curriculum, but I honestly don't think we had it much worse than other medical school classes. I followed along with review books as we were going through most of our blocks, and there were few subjects that weren't taught well. I place some of that at the feet of our cardio section, which was awful (though even that system, there are several of my classmates who loved it). But talking to SMD15, that has clearly been addressed and is now a non-issue.

One of the things I don't think anyone could deny is that UVA responds to feedback. It might not be in the timeline we want (many of the issues my class had going through weren't addressed until SMD15 started, and thus too late for it to benefit us at all), but they do respond. Every course director is responsive to feedback, and wants to provide the best education they can.

I'll stop rambling now, but just remember to talk to as many students on interview day as you can to see if UVA is a good fit for you. It's not the place for everyone.

following up from an even later perspective (SMD16). i, and many of my classmates, love the curriculum. it's definitely effective for what it's attempting to do. sure, there are kinks (we just had our first "town hall" meeting today with the dean to voice our feedback), but like mvenus said, they are sooooooooo receptive to feedback, something i don't think many other schools would take so seriously.

a good example is that we had a new pathology leader teach us a few lectures ago, and people in my class were in an uproar over how, to put it bluntly, awful it was. but the path leader taught us again by the end of the week, and she had received numerous comments, etc. we were very prepared for another bad lecture but i think all of us were blown away by how quickly she adjusted and changed her teaching style.

gist: it's new, they're still working out some stuff, but it's pretty great so far, and it'll only get better!

My app has been complete (with a green check mark next to this category via status check) since 8/7. Today there is a red exclamation next to "App Complete" and it says "Your application is missing one or more of the required items." All of my items are definitely in and have been for awhile.

Has this happened to anyone else? Just noticed the change today.

How long are the class days for 1st and 2nd years?

I ask because I am planning on using the student housing program for my interview and don't want to show up at the campus at an inopportune time for my host

How long are the class days for 1st and 2nd years?

I ask because I am planning on using the student housing program for my interview and don't want to show up at the campus at an inopportune time for my host

Generally 8 til noon, with one day a week til 4-5. It's best to ask your specific host where and when to meet them, because schedules can vary greatly, especially in first year (they have an additional class in the afternoon in either the fall or the spring).

Hey guys, just a quick question

What are my possibilities of getting into UVA at this point,

GPA 3.68
sGPA 3.58
33S 11,11,11

a lot of clinical experience and EC's

very diverse

complete 8/7/12

Hey guys, just a quick question

What are my possibilities of getting into UVA at this point,

GPA 3.68
sGPA 3.58
33S 11,11,11

a lot of clinical experience and EC's

very diverse

complete 8/7/12

Accepted Data:
Medians:
GPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT:35

10th percentile
GPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.48
MCAT:31

You're at least above the 10th percentile so I'd say your stats wouldn't rule you out. However, this all depends on the perceived rigor of your academic institution. With this in mind, if you weaved a compelling story with your personal statement / secondary essays / work & activities I think you'd have a shot.

Edit: There is a "What are my chances" thread on sdn. Here's the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.