2012-2013 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got accepted yesterday! IS & love this school!

Members don't see this ad.

Got accepted this afternoon. One of my top school choices

congrats to everyone who's been accepted so far!! and to the people who get waitlisted, never fear... my class (currently m1s) had a ton of students come off waitlist, so there's movement for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
does UVA have student hosts? I can't seem to find the link on my application :/

congrats to everyone who's been accepted so far!! and to the people who get waitlisted, never fear... my class (currently m1s) had a ton of students come off waitlist, so there's movement for sure!

Hello Velleityx. From stalking your MDApps profile, it seems that you interviewed somewhat late (by SDN standards) at UVA, and still got accepted. Have you noticed this as a trend at UVA. To be honest, UVA is in one of my top 3 choices (which is saying something since I applied to like 30 odd schools).

So I was wondering if lots of people with more average stats like you and me have to wait until later for their interviews, and if there are tons of people with later interviews who are in your class?

Thanks for the info throughout the thread btw.

Hi! My app was complete late August. Was thinking about sending out a letter of interest/update. Anyone know if Virginia is receptive to either of these?

Thanks!

Hi! My app was complete late August. Was thinking about sending out a letter of interest/update. Anyone know if Virginia is receptive to either of these?

Thanks!

I was also wondering about this. UVA is my #1 choice but I haven't heard anything since I was complete in late july.

Does UVA send out rejection letters if they don't like your application? I havent heard anything back since I applied mid July.

hi everyone! just met some interviewees this week... hehe

1) yes we have student hosts!!! i don't know where it is on their site but when you got your interview, i think they sent out an email about it. or it might be on the secondary website. you need to contact someone who will match you up with one of us (we gave them preferences like hobbies we enjoy, etc.) please stay with a host if you can! it completely changed my interview experience, getting to talk to as many students as possible. and i can assure you that a bunch of us are eager to host. if you can't find the instructions, email the admissions office or call them. someone will help you out. if WORST comes to worse, PM me and i will see what i can do! (you can either stay with me or i can find you a classmate)

2) yes, i interviewed "later" in the cycle, although not as late as some people. so to answer some of your questions... i was complete early in aug and didn't hear back until mid-november or so (and then i scheduled my interview around times i'd be in the area, so that also pushed me back a bit on the calendar). just hang tight. i think generally uva interviews higher numbers in the beginning but i'm not really sure. as long as you keep showing uva some interest (and they are receptive to update and interest letters and in-the area notices; just email it to the office!!!), you should be fine. just remember that even though the average mcat/gpa is like 35/3.7 or so (forgot), it's only the AVERAGE meaning there are people above *AND* people below!

we had many people in our class come in off the waitlist, probably because uva's been cautious with admitting (since you guys may have heard that in a previous year, they overadmitted and had to have some students postpone entry). DON'T take the waitlist as a death sentence. also uva interviews almost everyday, and they definitely interview into february, so there's quite a few spots left. finally, it may be that at some schools, you are "interviewing for a waitlist" spot when you're later, but that's NOT! TRUE! at uva at all. quite a few people interviewed later and got in (not even waitlisted) immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does UVA send out rejection letters if they don't like your application? I havent heard anything back since I applied mid July.

I wouldn't freak out...

I submitted my app pretty much as soon as anyone could and heard NOTHING until December, interviewed in January and got accepted.

They do send pre-interview rejection letters also, so if you don't get one of those for a long time that's a good sigh.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

1) yes we have student hosts!!! i don't know where it is on their site but when you got your interview, i think they sent out an email about it. or it might be on the secondary website. you need to contact someone who will match you up with one of us (we gave them preferences like hobbies we enjoy, etc.) please stay with a host if you can! it completely changed my interview experience, getting to talk to as many students as possible. and i can assure you that a bunch of us are eager to host. if you can't find the instructions, email the admissions office or call them. someone will help you out. if WORST comes to worse, PM me and i will see what i can do! (you can either stay with me or i can find you a classmate)

2) yes, i interviewed "later" in the cycle, although not as late as some people. so to answer some of your questions... i was complete early in aug and didn't hear back until mid-november or so (and then i scheduled my interview around times i'd be in the area, so that also pushed me back a bit on the calendar). just hang tight. i think generally uva interviews higher numbers in the beginning but i'm not really sure. as long as you keep showing uva some interest (and they are receptive to update and interest letters and in-the area notices; just email it to the office!!!), you should be fine. just remember that even though the average mcat/gpa is like 35/3.7 or so (forgot), it's only the AVERAGE meaning there are people above *AND* people below!

we had many people in our class come in off the waitlist, probably because uva's been cautious with admitting (since you guys may have heard that in a previous year, they overadmitted and had to have some students postpone entry). DON'T take the waitlist as a death sentence. also uva interviews almost everyday, and they definitely interview into february, so there's quite a few spots left. finally, it may be that at some schools, you are "interviewing for a waitlist" spot when you're later, but that's NOT! TRUE! at uva at all. quite a few people interviewed later and got in (not even waitlisted) immediately.

Hey, can you let me know more abou the letters of interests?
You said email them?
How often should I send?
What is in the area notice, like you'll be at campus?

II this morning. Pretty stoked for this one. Complete 8/21 37 4.0 OOS

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have already had their interview, how was it? I go in next wednesday and I'm pretty excited. I've heard nothing but good things about UVA

For those that have already had their interview, how was it? I go in next wednesday and I'm pretty excited. I've heard nothing but good things about UVA

My interviews were laid-back and conversational. It seemed to me that UVA's primary goal on interview day is to learn more about their applicants.

Also, they bring in 6-8 candidates on each interview day and meet every Friday to discuss that week's interviewees. You'll wait at most 3-4 days post-interview for a decision (accept/reject/waitlist), which will arrive via email. :)

My interviews were laid-back and conversational. It seemed to me that UVA's primary goal on interview day is to learn more about their applicants.

Also, they bring in 6-8 candidates on each interview day and meet every Friday to discuss that week's interviewees. You'll wait at most 3-4 days post-interview for a decision (accept/reject/waitlist), which will arrive via email. :)

Thanks and wow, that's fast!

Hey, can you let me know more abou the letters of interests?
You said email them?
How often should I send?
What is in the area notice, like you'll be at campus?

hi, yes! i emailed it to the admissions office email. i'd do it often enough that you stay on their radar OR as you have new developments in your app, but not often enough that it's annoying. so for example, i think i sent them something about every 1.5 months or so.

in the area is if you happen to be far away and will be around the area. you let them know because if they're interested in interviewing you, it'll save you cost to fly there again, and sometimes they'll schedule you an earlier interview. for example, i was flying from california, so if i ever came to the east coast, i'd send out a notice to all my east coast schools.

Thanks so much! That's great to hear :)

does UVA have student hosts? I can't seem to find the link on my application :/

Yes, UVA has student hosts. They're generally first years after October, and are arranged by a volunteer in the class. There should be an e-mail address in your interview invite with who you should contact to get placed with a host. If you e-mail and don't hear back from anyone within a week, e-mail again. We can get busy and forget sometimes.

Hello Velleityx. From stalking your MDApps profile, it seems that you interviewed somewhat late (by SDN standards) at UVA, and still got accepted. Have you noticed this as a trend at UVA. To be honest, UVA is in one of my top 3 choices (which is saying something since I applied to like 30 odd schools).

There are multiple people in my class who interviewed in January and February who were accepted. In fact, I think I'm one of the few people who was accepted in October who ended up coming.

finally, it may be that at some schools, you are "interviewing for a waitlist" spot when you're later, but that's NOT! TRUE! at uva at all. quite a few people interviewed later and got in (not even waitlisted) immediately.

I want to emphasize this. They do not send out interview invites unless there are still places open in the class. So you are always interviewing for a position, not just hoping for a waitlist position.

Also, be aware that while anyone who talks to you or hosts you doesn't necessarily have a direct say in your admission, the admissions committee does welcome feedback. This can work both for you (for instance, if you stay with a host and really hit it off) or against you (if you're a jerk during lunch). Also keep in mind that there are students on the adcom who have just as much power as the faculty members... they have friends who may talk to them in an informal setting.

Too late/ worth it to turn in secondary??

I have a 3.74 34 MCAT

Complete since 8/24. Haven't heard anything :(

OOS 35/3.9

Too late/ worth it to turn in secondary??

I have a 3.74 34 MCAT

It's definitely not worth it bro. It's wayyy to late in the game. Translation: your stats are better than mine and I really want to go here.

I got the app complete e-mail 9/27. Does anyone know how long they usually take to review? I'm in-state, and I know they received my in-state tuition app the following week. Does UVA tend to reject post-secondary in a timely manner? Or would this be more of a silent rejection until March? I'm hoping at this point no news is good news? Well.. as good of news as could be next to an interview invite of course.

Can any current student or anyone who's applying here shed any light? Thank you.

**EDIT: Wow I obviously skimmed this thread too fast. If they do rejection letters around Thanksgiving then hopefully I make it past next week haha.

Last edited:
II this morning! Had almost forgotten that I had applied here because it had been so long! Haha.

Complete 8/17

OOS; 34 MCAT; 3.95 GPA

Accepted by email yesterday!!!! OOS, this is such an amazing school!

I have been complete Since July 12, and I still haven't heard anything yet. I'm OOS with a 3.71 and 35. Should I be worried?

Sent from my HTC Ruby using SDN Mobile

II today, complete sometime MID-JULY. Wow, I had totally forgotten about this school. I've already kind of set my heart on one school, but I suppose that money is still playing a role in my decision. Does anyone know if A) people who interview at UVA late in the season are interviewing for waitlist positions of B) if UVA tends to be generous with OOS scholarships?

II today, complete sometime MID-JULY. Wow, I had totally forgotten about this school. I've already kind of set my heart on one school, but I suppose that money is still playing a role in my decision. Does anyone know if A) people who interview at UVA late in the season are interviewing for waitlist positions of B) if UVA tends to be generous with OOS scholarships?

Someone said further up that they only offer II's if they still have seats available. So no, you're not interviewing for the waitlist. I have no idea about B.

Would you mind sharing stats?

As I said before, UVA only interviews if they still have seats open. Even so, a significant part of the class comes from the wait list.

As for scholarships, I think they are generous as far as state schools go... But they are on the more expensive side as well. I have 17K in grants and 10k in low interest loans as an oos student, but I'm still paying more than I would have going to my own state school.

This made my Friday, invite! Excited to visit UVA again. Completemid July.

Congrats! Good to know that they are still looking at July applicants.

Alas! One of our meetings turns fruitful. That's one step closer to a Goat brotherhood at UVA. Here's to good news on your end!

Alas! One of our meetings turns fruitful. That's one step closer to a Goat brotherhood at UVA. Here's to good news on your end!

Thank you! I'm hoping my letter of interest garnered some favor.

Hi No Beans,

I'm a current second year and can shed some light on what your day-to-day schedule will be like in the NxGen curriculum.

I copied this from one of my old posts:

"I've attached a copy of our current GI system overview (4 week system). You can see the specifics of the types of classes we've had during this system. Basically, we learn normal histology, physiology, anatomy, etc. early on - then shortly after, we learn the abnormal pathology/histology, etc. We also have patient presentations where a physician will interview an actual patient that has a disease that we are studying in front of the class in order to get us to understand how a patient would actually present in real life (and we get to ask questions, etc).

Take a glance at the various types of learning activities we have (last slide of powerpoint)...case presentations, large group discussions, small group discussions, patient presentations, TBL, etc. They really vary the learning style here to try to accommodate everyone's different learning styles. However, some students prefer ONLY traditional lectures = you can see where the frustration would come from.

My only complaint is that the workload is really heavy during the beginning of systems because the system leaders need us to understand all of the normal physiology before they can teach us the abnormal/pathology. This means that we struggle to keep up early on, but then we gradually learn the normal/abnormal by working with and applying the material during the subsequent weeks."

Hope that helps!

I'm having trouble opening the attachment. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm having trouble opening the attachment. Anyone have any suggestions?

Would a pdf work better? If not, I can host it on GoogleDocs(and it looks fine), I would just need to create a new gmail account for that...

Attachments

• GI System schedule final.pdf
    172 KB · Views: 129
Would a pdf work better? If not, I can host it on GoogleDocs(and it looks fine), I would just need to create a new gmail account for that...

Yup the pdf worked perfectly fine. Thank you!

Well I've been complete since 7/8 and haven't heard a peep from admissions. Hmmm. Does UVA accept letters of interest/update?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from UVA regarding the availability of a student host?

And how far in advance should you contact them to set it up? The letter just says a minimum of two weeks notice.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from UVA regarding the availability of a student host?

And how far in advance should you contact them to set it up? The letter just says a minimum of two weeks notice.

Since this is run by students, it is best to ask as soon as you know, especially if its for a day during or just after break.

If you don't hear back within a week, email again. If they're doing it right, you should've gotten an email as soon as they assigned you a coordinator. From there, it usually takes a couple days to get a host who is both available and agrees to take an applicant.

if anyone's having a really hard time getting a student host, you can PM me some information about you and your II date and i can see if someone in my class (first yrs) can hook you up!

Status
Not open for further replies.