2013-2014 Albany Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an II back in November but did not see the email in my inbox! I found out when I was looking up log-in information for schools as I was sending update letters in January and saw an unread email with "Interview Invite" in the subject heading. I was unable to open my II packed and called the admissions office as soon as I realized my mistake, but they only could put me on a wait-list to receive an interview. I've had this visceral feeling of disappointment for the last month but yesterday I received an II as some invitees cancelled and will be heading out on 2/24!

undergrad BCPM: 3.0, overall: 3.06
grad gpa: BCPM: 4.0, overall 3.84
34 MCAT

I'm looking forward to the MMI but I am concerned I won't be able to address the glaring deficiencies in my application.
 
Last edited:
I received an II back in November but did not see the email in my inbox! I found out when I was looking up log-in information for schools as I was sending update letters in January and saw an unread email with "Interview Invite" in the subject heading. I was unable to open my II packed and called the admissions office as soon as I realized my mistake, but they only could put me on a wait-list to receive an interview. I've had this visceral feeling of disappointment for the last month but yesterday I received an II as some invitees cancelled and will be heading out on 2/24!

undergrad BCPM: 3.0, overall: 3.06
grad gap: BCPM: 4.0, overall 3.84
34 MCAT

I'm looking forward to the MMI but I am concerned I won't be able to address the glaring deficiencies in my application.

This is the stuff my nightmares are made out of. Glad it worked out for you though!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone from the 1/24 group hear anything?? i thought they said decisions around 4 weeks but i cant remember...
 
So, I haven't gotten an interview invite, but Albany would be my top choice if I did get in. I'm local so it would really mean a lot to me to stay near home. I just got an acceptance at another school (one I am thrilled with, but is far from home). All of my non-medical advice givers are saying that I should try and use that acceptance as leverage to get an invite from Albany.

I am a little dubious that it will help. It seems like medschool is different than a lot of other things that you might apply to because there is always plenty of other applicants... really it seems like medschool really couldn't care less about me or whatever acceptances I might have.

Part of me thinks, well there is really nothing to lose by trying, but I was wondering if the group out here thinks that it would have any affect.

*Update* I called AMC because I haven't heard from them yet and I need to make a decision shortly on another school that I have been accepted at. I thought I would let you know what I learned.

1.) Due to the high volume they probably haven't made it to my application yet (Complete in December) but the only thing that she could say for sure is that they haven't made a decision yet.
2.) They are working on a rolling admission basis and they don't offer interviews unless they have a seat to fill in the class (i.e. you are always interviewing for a seat and never for the waitlist).
3.) They are still sending out interview invites and are not yet booked through to the end of their interview season (which ends in April).

So all this doesn't really help me with my impending deadline, but even if I got an II today there would be no way to interview and recieve a decision between now and when my non-refundable $$ is due to hold a spot in my other school (March 13th). Therefore, I guess there is no point in fretting. I'll just wait it out and if I am given an opportunity to attend AMC I will simply lose the money I am putting down as a deposit to my other school.

It does give me hope that there is still a chance for an II to come my way.
 
*Update* I called AMC because I haven't heard from them yet and I need to make a decision shortly on another school that I have been accepted at. I thought I would let you know what I learned.

1.) Due to the high volume they probably haven't made it to my application yet (Complete in December) but the only thing that she could say for sure is that they haven't made a decision yet.
2.) They are working on a rolling admission basis and they don't offer interviews unless they have a seat to fill in the class (i.e. you are always interviewing for a seat and never for the waitlist).
3.) They are still sending out interview invites and are not yet booked through to the end of their interview season (which ends in April).

So all this doesn't really help me with my impending deadline, but even if I got an II today there would be no way to interview and recieve a decision between now and when my non-refundable $$ is due to hold a spot in my other school (March 13th). Therefore, I guess there is no point in fretting. I'll just wait it out and if I am given an opportunity to attend AMC I will simply lose the money I am putting down as a deposit to my other school.

It does give me hope that there is still a chance for an II to come my way.
Thanks for the info. I am in a very similar boat -- except post-interview and "under consideration". They told me that I might not hear back until August... except the school I had to put a $1k deposit down at starts in June 😕
 
Thanks for the info. I am in a very similar boat -- except post-interview and "under consideration". They told me that I might not hear back until August... except the school I had to put a $1k deposit down at starts in June 😕

Sometimes you just have to marvel at how much this medschool application process blows. I was talking to my boss (a Ph.D) and he was saying I should harrass the admissions office, ask speak to someone higher up, try and leverage my acceptance, etc. until I hear something. Its pointless though, not to mention disheartening.

Ph.D. candidates are wined and dined, their travel is paid for and the entire process is about the school wanting to entice the applicant! Then, their tuition is paid for and they are given a stipend to live off! Not us! Our admission process drags on for over a year (assuming you are smart and apply early, which I was not), they leave us in abject silence for months on end, and the entire time you are made completely aware of the fact that you are 1 in several thousand applicants at any given school. Then, they give you a budget that you are allowed to take LOANS out for...

Clearly once you are in there are pros and cons to each profession (the greatest con the the Ph.D. from my prospective is that you don't get to practice medicine after 😉), but I sure do envy their admissions process.
 
Sometimes you just have to marvel at how much this medschool application process blows. I was talking to my boss (a Ph.D) and he was saying I should harrass the admissions office, ask speak to someone higher up, try and leverage my acceptance, etc. until I hear something. Its pointless though, not to mention disheartening.

Ph.D. candidates are wined and dined, their travel is paid for and the entire process is about the school wanting to entice the applicant! Then, their tuition is paid for and they are given a stipend to live off! Not us! Our admission process drags on for over a year (assuming you are smart and apply early, which I was not), they leave us in abject silence for months on end, and the entire time you are made completely aware of the fact that you are 1 in several thousand applicants at any given school. Then, they give you a budget that you are allowed to take LOANS out for...

Clearly once you are in there are pros and cons to each profession (the greatest con the the Ph.D. from my prospective is that you don't get to practice medicine after 😉), but I sure do envy their admissions process.
Haha, don't I know it! I've worked in an academic lab since graduating (i.e., I hear Ph.D. students complain about how bad their life is)... and am amazed at how unhappy they are with $30k stipends, no debt, free travel, and more. My girlfriend is one of 'em, so I definitely see firsthand how much they take it for granted. 🙄 As you said... there are pros and cons... I guess it's all relative!

... Ph.D. students sure do get the royal treatment when it comes to applying, though. I can't believe I spent the majority of my savings on the med school process (MCAT prep, applications, interviews) when Ph.D. students basically get to go on mini free vacations for each of their interviews. 🤣

Regardless... Medicine all the way! 😉
 
Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to marvel at how much this medschool application process blows. I was talking to my boss (a Ph.D) and he was saying I should harrass the admissions office, ask speak to someone higher up, try and leverage my acceptance, etc. until I hear something. Its pointless though, not to mention disheartening.

Ph.D. candidates are wined and dined, their travel is paid for and the entire process is about the school wanting to entice the applicant! Then, their tuition is paid for and they are given a stipend to live off! Not us! Our admission process drags on for over a year (assuming you are smart and apply early, which I was not), they leave us in abject silence for months on end, and the entire time you are made completely aware of the fact that you are 1 in several thousand applicants at any given school. Then, they give you a budget that you are allowed to take LOANS out for...

Clearly once you are in there are pros and cons to each profession (the greatest con the the Ph.D. from my prospective is that you don't get to practice medicine after 😉), but I sure do envy their admissions process.
Amen!!! As a backup plan I applied to 2 graduate programs. I literally wrote a one page statement of purpose a few days before the deadline, got my few letters of recommendation squared away, scored just above a chimpanzee on the GRE and got in..... I'll be going to the site visit and instead of the student trying to impress the school and faculty it is completely backwards!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Haha, don't I know it! I've worked in an academic lab since graduating (i.e., I hear Ph.D. students complain about how bad their life is)... and am amazed at how unhappy they are with $30k stipends, no debt, free travel, and more. My girlfriend is one of 'em, so I definitely see firsthand how much they take it for granted. 🙄 As you said... there are pros and cons... I guess it's all relative!

... Ph.D. students sure do get the royal treatment when it comes to applying, though. I can't believe I spent the majority of my savings on the med school process (MCAT prep, applications, interviews) when Ph.D. students basically get to go on mini free vacations for each of their interviews. 🤣

Regardless... Medicine all the way! 😉

Yeah, I am sold on medicine too. I've been working in research since 2009 trying to talk myself out of it, but here I am back on the med-school wagon of anxiety and anticipation. :nailbiting:
 
Thanks for the info. I am in a very similar boat -- except post-interview and "under consideration". They told me that I might not hear back until August... except the school I had to put a $1k deposit down at starts in June 😕


DO school I assume?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Congrats! Michigan is in the top 10 med schools (including MDs). That is something to be really proud of! I got into UNECOM, which I am trilled about since I went to undergrad there. It would be nice to stay local in Albany though.
 
Congrats! Michigan is in the top 10 med schools (including MDs). That is something to be really proud of! I got into UNECOM, which I am trilled about since I went to undergrad there. It would be nice to stay local in Albany though.
Haha-- that's funny. I only applied DO at MSU (home state) and UNE (near where I currently am). I would also like Albany, in order to stay relatively nearby my current home. Good luck with Albany!! It seems like we're on similar trajectories.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ha, nice. Small world! Have you interviewed at UNECOM?
Nope, still waiting! However, I didn't get my application in until in mid-October (right after going to their pre-SOMA conference)... so it was pretty late. I really enjoyed the school and would go there, but I liked the hospital environment at Albany and big school environment at MSU-COM a bit better.
 
Anyone hear anything about a second look day? Does Albany normally have one? Would love a second chance to visit the school and meet potential classmates.
 
anyone from the 1/24 group hear anything?? i thought they said decisions around 4 weeks but i cant remember...

I was in the 1/24 interview group and I too heard them say within 4 weeks. I havent heard anything back and sent them an email last week with no success. Keep us updated!
 
I was in the 1/24 interview group and I too heard them say within 4 weeks. I havent heard anything back and sent them an email last week with no success. Keep us updated!
i will! it's been a few days past 4 weeks, i can't stop staring at my email. they said all decisions come via email not snail mail right? i should really start writing things down so i don't panic a month later
 
i will! it's been a few days past 4 weeks, i can't stop staring at my email. they said all decisions come via email not snail mail right? i should really start writing things down so i don't panic a month later
Yes, I believe they said it would be by email. Sounds like typical admissions committee/office lateness. I've been going through the same thing!
 
were you in the group that interviewed first or second? i think some people in the first group got decisions a week ago
 
I interviewed on 02/06, and was placed UC on 02/19, thirteen days later.

I am also at a loss to understand the timing behind communications.
 
Many people are placed UC - this is not a bad thing and it is not a waitlist. It is just the way they rank and pool students as they go through interviews. Approx. for every 10-15 students put on UC 1 is accepted - well something like that....
Some people find out within a week while others can find out up to 3 months later even throughout summer I think. Someone I know, her son found out end of April that he was accepted.
 
Are there any current students or other SDNers that can comment on Albany's schedule for sending out decisions post-interview? I interviewed on 01/15 and have yet to receive a decision, but it looks like people from the beginning of February are beginning to get decisions. It almost seems like they send out UC decisions more quickly than acceptances/rejections!
 
I also interviewed on 1/15 and haven't heard anything. They told us that we would hear by the end of February though right? I've been thinking that Friday might be the day for a while now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any current students or other SDNers that can comment on Albany's schedule for sending out decisions post-interview? I interviewed on 01/15 and have yet to receive a decision, but it looks like people from the beginning of February are beginning to get decisions. It almost seems like they send out UC decisions more quickly than acceptances/rejections!
Interviewed here last year in February and my decision(UC) came in about 3 weeks later
Will it affect your chance of getting an interview? Probably not. Will it hurt? Probably not.

However, you just have to realize that anything you say in an e-mail to Albany is unlikely to make it to the adcom meeting (since they don't allow updates to your file beyond grades).

I tried to get a feeling from them as to whether or not I would hear a final answer by June (when I absolutely need to know whether I am accepted or not). They basically said there are no guarantees in the process. I assume my other acceptance did not sway them to fast-track the process in any way.

You may not hear a final answer until a week after class begins. There was actually a ton of anticipation right around May 15th last year and let's just say it was disappointing in terms of how many UC'ers were accepted in that period judging by how many posted on SDN(probably not the best measure to evaluate this, but I don't have anything else to go by). Once June rolled around they made an actual wait/alternate list probably over 100 ppl long, I believe like half the UC'ers were dropped at this point. Anyway, I don't think I received an official rejection email until August. Ha I saw my username on last year's thread the final email was sent 8/13/13. Surprisingly, there were several acceptances in July.

Anyway, I'm in the same position as you(not MSU but another DO school). Need to know by early July at the latest otherwise I start losing out on how much of a refund I'll be able to get back. To be honest I'd probably wait for Albany until that 50% refund date hits, and if you've seen DO school prices that is not cheap.
 
Interviewed here last year in February and my decision(UC) came in about 3 weeks later


You may not hear a final answer until a week after class begins. There was actually a ton of anticipation right around May 15th last year and let's just say it was disappointing in terms of how many UC'ers were accepted in that period judging by how many posted on SDN(probably not the best measure to evaluate this, but I don't have anything else to go by). Once June rolled around they made an actual wait/alternate list probably over 100 ppl long, I believe like half the UC'ers were dropped at this point. Anyway, I don't think I received an official rejection email until August. Ha I saw my username on last year's thread the final email was sent 8/13/13. Surprisingly, there were several acceptances in July.

Anyway, I'm in the same position as you(not MSU but another DO school). Need to know by early July at the latest otherwise I start losing out on how much of a refund I'll be able to get back. To be honest I'd probably wait for Albany until that 50% refund date hits, and if you've seen DO school prices that is not cheap.
Good luck -- I hope you hear something soon! Unfortunately MSU has no refund, but their classes start in mid-June... so I'm just a little freaked out to be moving and getting ready to start classes while still being under consideration at Albany (a place I would probably rather go). Oh well! 😛 I really hope for some news ASAP from Albany, since I would definitely not leave MSU after classes start.
 
Just gave them a call, and they said that there wasn't anything wrong with my application, it just wasn't going through or something??? Gave them my number so that they could call me tomorrow with my decision after whoever fixes whatever is wrong with their computer system/my application. Ugh.

The worst part was that the woman looked up my application and just went "...oh". I thought for sure that I had been rejected really viciously somehow, but she scrambled to say that there wasn't anything wrong with my actual application :laugh:
 
Just gave them a call, and they said that there wasn't anything wrong with my application, it just wasn't going through or something??? Gave them my number so that they could call me tomorrow with my decision after whoever fixes whatever is wrong with their computer system/my application. Ugh.

The worst part was that the woman looked up my application and just went "...oh". I thought for sure that I had been rejected really viciously somehow, but she scrambled to say that there wasn't anything wrong with my actual application :laugh:
Maybe it was more like an oh crap this candidate was accepted we really dropped the ball here by not sending this email out. Hope you get an acceptance tomorrow, waiting for the cycle to finish is . . . not fun.
 
I don't think anyone on SDN has been accepted by Albany yet... Kinda weird...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
In case it helps alleviate some stress here, it took about 6 weeks post-interview for me to get accepted at AMC - after what I thought was a miserable performance at my interview, no less.
 
Yea, called today and was told I was UC. Interviewed 1/15, apparently all or a sub-group of that time period "got stuck" in the system and we should get the emails soonish, she said next week.

Is Albany just under-accepting because they know they are interviewing a lot of people? Seems like so few people get in a month after they interview, they should just tell us its more likely we'll hear back much later.
 
Maybe it was more like an oh crap this candidate was accepted we really dropped the ball here by not sending this email out. Hope you get an acceptance tomorrow, waiting for the cycle to finish is . . . not fun.

Hahaha, unfortunately not. I'm UC. Do they accept more than 15 people prior to May 15th or what???
 
Interviewed 1/24 placed UC. Had to call and they told me my status over to phone. Apparently since I am a previous applicant the system had already thought I was sent the email.


Here's to another couple months of anxiety
 
Hahaha, unfortunately not. I'm UC. Do they accept more than 15 people prior to May 15th or what???
Just a warning the next paragraph contains a lot of speculation. Albany has about 140ish seats(MSAR) with about 40 going to the candidates from joint programs(from what I read on SDN and from what my tour guide said). The admissions rep said they're on pace to interview over 1000 candidates this cycle(100 slots/1000 candidates). Last year the admissions reps said that regardless of how late you interview you're not interviewing for a wait list spot. I'm going to guess that they're still following the same procedure from last year meaning even those who interview in April have a chance at an open slot. This leads me to speculate that at most 2 people per interview group are receiving acceptances(just for reference I had about 13 candidates in my interview group). I'm also going to guess they were a lot looser with acceptances earlier in the cycle because those candidates are objectively better than the later ones. They're probably down to 1 acceptance per interview group now and using the UC list to fill in any gaps from those who withdraw. I'd certainly appreciate it if a current student would chime in here and tell me I'm wrong.

Interviewed 1/24 placed UC. Had to call and they told me my status over to phone. Apparently since I am a previous applicant the system had already thought I was sent the email.


Here's to another couple months of anxiety

I'll be posting the same message in about 2-3 weeks.
 
Just a warning the next paragraph contains a lot of speculation. Albany has about 140ish seats(MSAR) with about 40 going to the candidates from joint programs(from what I read on SDN and from what my tour guide said). The admissions rep said they're on pace to interview over 1000 candidates this cycle(100 slots/1000 candidates). Last year the admissions reps said that regardless of how late you interview you're not interviewing for a wait list spot. I'm going to guess that they're still following the same procedure from last year meaning even those who interview in April have a chance at an open slot. This leads me to speculate that at most 2 people per interview group are receiving acceptances(just for reference I had about 13 candidates in my interview group). I'm also going to guess they were a lot looser with acceptances earlier in the cycle because those candidates are objectively better than the later ones. They're probably down to 1 acceptance per interview group now and using the UC list to fill in any gaps from those who withdraw. I'd certainly appreciate it if a current student would chime in here and tell me I'm wrong.



I'll be posting the same message in about 2-3 weeks.
Not a current student, but that's pretty much how I understand the process to be. I believe we are given an overall score after our interviews and are ranked based off of that. The top few get an outright acceptance, and the rest are put UC or rejected. They then pull from the top of the UC list whenever there is a spot to fill. Unfortunately, decisions about placement on an alternate list (waitlist?) are not made until June, and the class isn't even finalized until August.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed 1/24 placed UC. Had to call and they told me my status over to phone. Apparently since I am a previous applicant the system had already thought I was sent the email.


Here's to another couple months of anxiety

under consideration too...this is so annoying