2013-2014 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an II after pretty much forgetting about this school. At this point, with (allegedly) more than 1000 people being invited for interviews and most of them ending up on the UC list anyways, is it even worth it to attend?
Congrats ! OOS or IS, mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats ! OOS or IS, mind sharing your stats?
IS, Lizzy M ~65, complete October 15ish.

Officially withdrew. Hopefully someone still desperately hoping for an interview gets my spot!

Withdrew from AMC today (accepted off wait list a couple of days ago). Good luck to all still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. Albany told me that decisions about placement on the alternate list will be made in early June. So I think they're currently just pulling from UC since a waitlist is not finalized.

Ahh, you're right. UC is like a ranked pool before they put applicants create an alternate list.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew from AMC today (accepted off wait list a couple of days ago). Good luck to all still waiting!

What! So they have been sending out acceptances at this time??

Yep! I thought I was gonna be rejected for sure after I got the wait list email back in November

You must have also been at the top of the UC list to get accepted this early! Did you feel good about all of your MMI's? Or do you think it was more so your stats that got you up there on the list?

You must have also been at the top of the UC list to get accepted this early! Did you feel good about all of your MMI's? Or do you think it was more so your stats that got you up there on the list?
Ok I just checked my emails and I got an email saying how amc will formulate a ranked list back in November. I just interpreted this as the wait list since I wasn't immediately accepted.

I thought I did well on all the MMIs except for maybe 2 stations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I just checked my emails and I got an email saying how amc will formulate a ranked list back in November. I just interpreted this as the wait list since I wasn't immediately accepted.

I thought I did well on all the MMIs except for maybe 2 stations.

Well congrats! Dang, thats how I feel too... hopefully I hear some good news soon as well!

People are currently being pulled from the Under Consideration "pool". An alternate list (waitlist) is made in early June after interviews finish, and people continue to be added to the class until early August (as space becomes available).

Is there any practical difference between the UC list and waitlist and how people are taken off of it? Or do they just start calling the UC list the waitlist once they release your ranking?

Is there any practical difference between the UC list and waitlist and how people are taken off of it? Or do they just start calling the UC list the waitlist once they release your ranking?
My impression is that the UC pool is flexible b/c people are still interviewing and being added to the pool. The waitlist, on the other hand, will put us in fixed positions. I assume they just take the people off the top regardless, but before a waitlist is finalized our positions in the UC pool can change after each adcom meeting!

Thanks! Do you know who determines the z-score requirements for each course? Is there anywhere online that mentions the standard-deviation-based grading scheme or the Excellent with Honors (EH) because I could not find either of these things anywhere?
The professor in charge of each theme sets the cutoffs, usually after looking at the distribution after each test. In clinical years apparently this happens both after your individual shelf and then the clerkship directors may also redistribute grades at the end of the year, once everyone has gone through the rotation (since everyone is taking them at different times), mostly only to bump people up as it sounds like they may be conservative with the curve initially.

Interviewed about a month ago called the admiss office today and was told my application was reviewed and that I should hear this week or next or next week on a decision. I think it's safe to say this is a rejection.

Interviewed about a month ago called the admiss office today and was told my application was reviewed and that I should hear this week or next or next week on a decision. I think it's safe to say this is a rejection.
Dang, keep your head up. May be an acceptance too!

When did you interview? I haven't heard anything either. They probably send decisions in waves like some other schools.

I interviewed a week after you, so let's just wait and see...hope is still alive.

I interviewed a week after you, so let's just wait and see...hope is still alive.
People here are soooo positive. I am honestly annoyed that it's taking so long. I mean come on I know they are busy and they have lots of people to review but the wait is killing me and I think it's absurd.

Reactions: 2 users
People here are soooo positive. I am honestly annoyed that it's taking so long. I mean come on I know they are busy and they have lots of people to review but the wait is killing me and I think it's absurd.

It took me almost 6 weeks to hear back that I was UC. I know it is frustrating, but at least the hard part (the interview) is over.

I agree. Even though we would all love to get a straight out acceptance, as long as we don't get rejected that means they see something in us that could possibly be an asset at their school. So, we just have to look at the bright side, despite how frustrating this whole process is.

Anyone know who we send additional letters of rec to (Through AMCAS, email, mail?)

Interviewed on April 2nd and accepted today! Good luck everyone!

Accepted as well. Interviewed 4/3.

Wow! Looks like they finally started throwing out acceptances instead of just UCing everyone. Was this their last interview date? Or are they trying to fill up the class before accepting people on UC?

UC this morning as well. Interviewed 3/24. Hopefully good news finds it's way

Oh boy as I suspected got a rejection email this morning....

Hey y'all,
I just withdrew from the wailist yesterday. Albany is a great school, and I wish everyone all the best as they continue their schooling and career.

Cheers,
thenameissansa

Reactions: 2 users
It's been awfully quiet around here.. are interviews over? Hoping for some UC movement soon.

It's been awfully quiet around here.. are interviews over? Hoping for some UC movement soon.

I was thinking the same thing. No idea if UC has moved at all but my understanding is that interviews are done. Good luck to everyone

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Thanks for the info! I hope everyone that has withdrawn did it because they got good news else where. It's nice to know there's one more spot open for the rest of us

Thanks for the info! I hope everyone that has withdrawn did it because they got good news else where. It's nice to know there's one more spot open for the rest of us
Yes, the good news for waitlisted folks here is that the vast majority of people with acceptances who have any other option will withdraw!

For those that were accepted, did you receive an email/phone call? Or did the online application system update first? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!