2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah... my committee letter is for this year, but I think 2 letters may be dated 14-16 months ago. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it now, so I am just hoping it will be fine haha.

it would have to be.... otherwise how do the Non-trads get interviews/acceptances..

Members don't see this ad.

it would have to be.... otherwise how do the Non-trads get interviews/acceptances..

Thanks! Seriously though. I've been taking classes one or two at a time, how would the prof remember you after a year or two?

I wonder how I should answer the secondary.

Thanks! Seriously though. I've been taking classes one or two at a time, how would the prof remember you after a year or two?

I wonder how I should answer the secondary.

They usually dont. They write pretty cookie cutter letters and check your grades in the school system and advise accordingly.

I requested my 2 senior science teachers write me a letter when I applied the first time.
Since I did not get in that year due to my MCAT being a 26, I just e-mailed them and had their letters forwarded to my Pre-Health Office for a committee letter.

I also had my director from my masters program write an additional letter so the committee letter would be more recent.

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually dont. They write pretty cookie cutter letters and check your grades in the school system and advise accordingly.

I requested my 2 senior science teachers write me a letter when I applied the first time.
Since I did not get in that year due to my MCAT being a 26, I just e-mailed them and had their letters forwarded to my Pre-Health Office for a committee letter.

I also had my director from my masters program write an additional letter so the committee letter would be more recent.

so you're a reapplicant non-trad then, eh? no kidding.

so you're a reapplicant non-trad then, eh? no kidding.

Technically no on both counts.

I never applied AMCAS so I am not a reapplicant. I went via TMDSAS only

and to be considered non-trad you have to be out of school for 2 or more years.
I just finished my masters in 12/2012 so im only 1 semester out of school.

but I will be 24 unlike the majority of 21-22 year olds that comprise of the applicant pool.

Technically no on both counts.

I never applied AMCAS so I am not a reapplicant. I went via TMDSAS only

and to be considered non-trad you have to be out of school for 2 or more years.
I just finished my masters in 12/2012 so im only 1 semester out of school.

but I will be 24 unlike the majority of 21-22 year olds that comprise of the applicant pool.

Supposedly, the average age of med school matriculants is 24, so you're average-aged as far as matriculants go. I was 24 when I started.

Supposedly, the average age of med school matriculants is 24, so you're average-aged as far as matriculants go. I was 24 when I started.

I think the median might be more useful.

The only reason I say this is because you have the 40-50 year olds who seriously skew the results upwards.

I just figured the majority of interviewers are seniors in college.

I see their letter of recommendation requirement is that they can't be more than a year old. did any of the current students on here ever get around that? my orgo prof wrote a strong letter for me at the end of last year, so it's probably 14 months old now. guess i should call and ask...

Is this really a deal-breaker?
I will be out of college for 2 years as of this December, so all of my recommendation letters (except one from my boss) will be at least 2 years old...

I think what the rule means is that they don't want you submitting a letter that was written over a year ago. For example, if your letter was written 2 months ago by someone in your life from 3 years ago that's fine. They just don't want you trying to pass off something that was written in 2010 as new and updated. If you're super worried about it just call and ask admissions.

I think what the rule means is that they don't want you submitting a letter that was written over a year ago. For example, if your letter was written 2 months ago by someone in your life from 3 years ago that's fine. They just don't want you trying to pass off something that was written in 2010 as new and updated. If you're super worried about it just call and ask admissions.

This is actually my situation, or rather the letter was written right after orgo in May 2012. So technically it's 13 months old. I've emailed them, waiting on a response.

Yea, my letters were written right after I took the courses too. I can't think of anyone recent to ask that can assess my academic abilities, and those professors have probably forgotten that I exist by now... I also emailed them yesterday, I hope they won't dismiss our apps just because of this!

So just to make sure I understood the letter requirements correctly... This is what Baylor's website says:

"Applicants enrolled in colleges with a premedical advisory system should request that the chair of the Premedical Advisory Committee, premedical advisor, coordinator, or person in charge of advising send an evaluation to AMCAS.

If there is no health professions advisor, advisory committee, or office of advising premedical students at your school, evaluations from three individuals who are qualified to evaluate you personally and academically will be considered. A minimum of three letters are required."

So they either want a ONE committee letter, or THREE individual letters?

So just to make sure I understood the letter requirements correctly... This is what Baylor's website says:

"Applicants enrolled in colleges with a premedical advisory system should request that the chair of the Premedical Advisory Committee, premedical advisor, coordinator, or person in charge of advising send an evaluation to AMCAS.

If there is no health professions advisor, advisory committee, or office of advising premedical students at your school, evaluations from three individuals who are qualified to evaluate you personally and academically will be considered. A minimum of three letters are required."

So they either want a ONE committee letter, or THREE individual letters?

some universities have certain individuals or committees that essentially take your letters of recommendation and combine them into one committee letter. other schools do not have this service...thus you send in three letters anyway, but they are not combined into one committee letter.

you are reading it correctly :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
some universities have certain individuals or committees that essentially take your letters of recommendation and combine them into one committee letter. other schools do not have this service...thus you send in three letters anyway, but they are not combined into one committee letter.

you are reading it correctly :thumbup:

while some schools send the three letters along with the one large committee composite letter (therefore a total of 4).

Well, they didn't get back to me yet. I submitted regardless of the requirements. I've the stats to be competitive, so we'll see if all those letters measure up, assuming I've a good secondary. Hate to say it but Baylor's fading on my list, per the fiancee saying she doesn't like sprawl :-/

Well, they didn't get back to me yet. I submitted regardless of the requirements. I've the stats to be competitive, so we'll see if all those letters measure up, assuming I've a good secondary. Hate to say it but Baylor's fading on my list, per the fiancee saying she doesn't like sprawl :-/

must be so nice to be able to say that :oops::oops::laugh:

:thumbup:

Yea I hope they do see that and my SMP GPA..

I was think about mentioning that in my secondary.

Anyone start on it yet?

I've copied down the prompts from last year into an excel file :laugh: Does that count? Best of luck to your cycle Gandalf! You're gonna rock it! :thumbup:

I've copied down the prompts from last year into an excel file :laugh: Does that count? Best of luck to your cycle Gandalf! You're gonna rock it! :thumbup:

Lets hope so :thumbup:
You should be easily able to get an II from your MDApps!
Hopefully I will see you and all the other SDNers on the interview trail.

Lets hope so :thumbup:
You should be easily able to get an II from your MDApps!
Hopefully I will see you and all the other SDNers on the interview trail.

Hahah, thanks -- we shall see how this cycle goes :oops: In any case, :luck: to both of us! (and everyone on this thread!)

Really pulling for at least an II here. Numbers a bit shaky (3.7-3.8, 35) but I have some really strong ties that I hope bring me through. That's gotta count for something, right?

Does any med students at BCM know if there are international med students that are enrolled, or specifically Canadian ones?

The MSAR says they accept international students, but last year the stats say 222/0/0 (received app/interview/matriculated), which makes me really worried :(. I would love to come to BCM as I did summer research at the Anderson Cancer Center last summer :love:.

Does any med students at BCM know if there are international med students that are enrolled, or specifically Canadian ones?

The MSAR says they accept international students, but last year the stats say 222/0/0 (received app/interview/matriculated), which makes me really worried :(. I would love to come to BCM as I did summer research at the Anderson Cancer Center last summer :love:.

I don't think anyone in my class is international.

I don't think anyone in my class is international.

I am fairly sure that 75% of each class must come from Texas...my guess is that BCM limits the other 25% (45 or so) to other American students.

Good luck to you all. I'm far from applying to BCM, but it's one of my dream schools and I hope it works well for all of you.

Good luck to you all. I'm far from applying to BCM, but it's one of my dream schools and I hope it works well for all of you.

good luck to you!....and to everyone else applying!

Baylor is my #1 choice!! A doctor at work just told me that Baylor is too hard to get into and I should try applying to schools that I actually had a chance at. Then named a bunch of low-tier schools. She seriously knows nothing about me at all so I'm trying not to let it bother me ahhhhh :( I have the stats to be competitive for sure, I'm just worried because I'm out of state and they accept so many people from Texas! ! !

If you have the stats then go for it. Personally, I'd much rather apply and do my best than not apply only to sit around and wonder it I could have gotten in. Maybe it's a reach school for you, but who cares. Forget the doctor and apply to Baylor in addition to your other schools. :)

I have a 3.8 BCPM, 3.84 overall GPA and a 38Q MCAT (11,12,15). I'm a CA resident with research at UCSF and lots of free clinic volunteering. Do I have a chance? Is it worth applying?

I have a 3.8 BCPM, 3.84 overall GPA and a 38Q MCAT (11,12,15). I'm a CA resident with research at UCSF and lots of free clinic volunteering. Do I have a chance? Is it worth applying?

You would seem to have an excellent chance of getting an interview at BCM, assuming you meet the other applicant standard criteria (see link). BCM accepts 25% OOS, or about 45 of each class. It is arguably the best net value (net cost vis-a-vis reputation and quality of program-- highest Step 1 average) among private medical schools. Heck, it can best public medical schools IS for net cost. Go for it! :luck::)

http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/?PMID=2324#interviews

Hey guys, when does the secondary come out? I thought they said July...

Yea I cant create a login either.

Can we even submit the secondary before our primary is verified?

I know Dartmouth and Columbia allow you to submit before verification. Baylor may be the same, but I may also be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

I know Dartmouth and Columbia allow you to submit before verification. Baylor may be the same, but I may also be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

Curious to know what the point of submitting pre-verification is?

Finally submitted my primary. Wasn't Baylor's secondary supposed to be out last week...?

I haven't received a secondary email, but the website says it's now available

Does baylor recommend us wait until verification or can we submit whenever we want?

Also what's the q/limit? Same as last yr?

The question is the same as last year with the same limit: Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. 2000 character limit.

Does baylor recommend us wait until verification or can we submit whenever we want?

If it helps, I'm verified, but I didn't get an email about the secondary. I just happened to see on their site that it was available. If you have it written already and have the funds, I'd submit it just to have one less secondary to think about. There was no indication that you needed to wait until verification to submit it - they won't look at it until they have everything else anyways so I think it would be fine.

If it helps, I'm verified, but I didn't get an email about the secondary. I just happened to see on their site that it was available. If you have it written already and have the funds, I'd submit it just to have one less secondary to think about. There was no indication that you needed to wait until verification to submit it - they won't look at it until they have everything else anyways so I think it would be fine.

Correct! I just contacted Baylor. They said you can submit it even if you haven't been verified. :thumbup:

TMDSAS Applicants: Which supplemental essay from TMDSAS/secondary essay do you feel is most similar to Baylor's prompt? I'm just going to copy and paste :D :D

Last edited:
I love these secondaries with easy essay prompts!